Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

I’m not buying this just yet. Tuchel has to be in the £12m - £15m per year bracket (maybe even more). Can’t see the FA stumping up that sort of cash.

I’m not buying this just yet. Tuchel has to be in the £12m - £15m per year bracket (maybe even more). Can’t see the FA stumping up that sort of cash.
I imagine national team managers are paid less purely because they work less. His quality of life would be higher and he’d still earn millions a year.

I imagine national team managers are paid less purely because they work less. His quality of life would be higher and he’d still earn millions a year.
Last year I’d have said he’s too young and talented to accept a national team role. Then I saw Nagelsmann and now who knows?

Yep!
  • Premier League (11): Ferguson, Dalglish, Wenger, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Mancini, Pellegrini, Ranieri, Conte, Guardiola, Klopp
  • La Liga (19): Cruyff, Valdano, Antić, Capello, van Gaal, Irureta, del Bosque, Benítez, Rijkaard, Schuster, Guardiola, Mourinho, Vilanova, Simeone, Enrique, Zidane, Valverde, Ancelotti, Xavi
  • Serie A (13): Capello, Lippi, Zaccheroni, Eriksson, Ancelotti, Mancini, Mourinho, Allegri, Conte, Sarri, Pioli, Spalletti, Inzaghi
  • Bundesliga (18): Rehhagel, Beckenbauer, Hitzfeld, Trapattoni, Sammer, Schaaf, Magath, Veh, van Gaal, Klopp, Heynckes, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Kovač, Flick, Nagelsmann, Tuchel, Alonso
  • Ligue 1 (23): Jorge, Suaudeau, Roux, Tigana, Leclercq, Baup, Puel, Denoueix, Santini, Le Guen, Houllier, Perrin, Blanc, Deschamps, Garcia, Girard, Ancelotti, Jardim, Emery, Tuchel, Galtier, Pochettino, Enrique
  • Primeira Liga (18): Alberto, Toni, Robson, Oliviera, Santos, Pacheco, Bölöni, Mourinho, Trapattoni, Adriaanse, Ferreira, Jesus, Villas-Boas, Pereira, Vitória, Conceição, Amorim, Schmidt
  • Eredivisie (16): van Hanegem, van Gaal, Advocaat, Olsen, Beenhakker, Gerets, Koeman, Hiddink, Vergoossen, McClaren, De Boer, Cocu, Van Bronckhorst, ten Hag, Slot, Bosz

Ancelotti, WTF... The guy is breaking managerial records for fun.

Curiously United appointed two of the ones who followed him with Mourinho (4 including the top 3) and Van Gaal (3).

"It’s thought that recent reports of talks between Thomas Tuchel and England are an attempt to put pressure on Manchester United, who have an interest if they do part ways with Erik ten Hag. (@MiguelDelaney)

#MUFC"

Sorry for quoting tweets, but still can't post media so have to do it like this. Hopefully not breaking any forum rules.

Delany is one of the worst journos out there.

It’s not really. Southgate went to at least 5 games a week, sometimes 2 on the same day. Yes, you don’t spend as much time with the players, but there’s a huge amount of travel involved to check on players and a lot of night games over a week.

Last year I’d have said he’s too young and talented to accept a national team role. Then I saw Nagelsmann and now who knows?
Management is a long and intense job. National team is a way to essentially take it easier for 2-4 years and still work with international quality players.
It’s not really. Southgate went to at least 5 games a week, sometimes 2 on the same day. Yes, you don’t spend as much time with the players, but there’s a huge amount of travel involved to check on players and a lot of night games over a week.
I mean that’s still very different to being a 7 day a week job. Southgate may well have gone to 5 a week, but that will be like sat,sun,mon and then the ocassional Tuesday and Wednesday. You have a lot more time with your family and can also choose where to live so that’s more settled.

They aren’t preparing for games and analysing opponents pretty much every second of their working day.

Thing about Tuchel is, with all the rumours about how and why his Chelsea stint ended and how flat his time in Munich was you could ask questions about if he is still motivated and passionate about actually coaching or just thinks about it as a wage at something he is competent at. He certainly used to be passionate. Him looking at a national team job might actually be a bad sign.

You could say the same about Nagelsmann perhaps but as Flick showed, the Germany job for a german is obviously an honor. As the England job would be for an englishman. Obviously the England job is an honor for Tuchel as well, but as someone that probably didnt grow up dreaming it about should it really be prestigious enough for him to take himself out of competing with the best at club level when he was right in the mix only two years ago?

Yep!
  • Premier League (11): Ferguson, Dalglish, Wenger, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Mancini, Pellegrini, Ranieri, Conte, Guardiola, Klopp
  • La Liga (19): Cruyff, Valdano, Antić, Capello, van Gaal, Irureta, del Bosque, Benítez, Rijkaard, Schuster, Guardiola, Mourinho, Vilanova, Simeone, Enrique, Zidane, Valverde, Ancelotti, Xavi
  • Serie A (13): Capello, Lippi, Zaccheroni, Eriksson, Ancelotti, Mancini, Mourinho, Allegri, Conte, Sarri, Pioli, Spalletti, Inzaghi
  • Bundesliga (18): Rehhagel, Beckenbauer, Hitzfeld, Trapattoni, Sammer, Schaaf, Magath, Veh, van Gaal, Klopp, Heynckes, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Kovač, Flick, Nagelsmann, Tuchel, Alonso
  • Ligue 1 (23): Jorge, Suaudeau, Roux, Tigana, Leclercq, Baup, Puel, Denoueix, Santini, Le Guen, Houllier, Perrin, Blanc, Deschamps, Garcia, Girard, Ancelotti, Jardim, Emery, Tuchel, Galtier, Pochettino, Enrique
  • Primeira Liga (18): Alberto, Toni, Robson, Oliviera, Santos, Pacheco, Bölöni, Mourinho, Trapattoni, Adriaanse, Ferreira, Jesus, Villas-Boas, Pereira, Vitória, Conceição, Amorim, Schmidt
  • Eredivisie (16): van Hanegem, van Gaal, Advocaat, Olsen, Beenhakker, Gerets, Koeman, Hiddink, Vergoossen, McClaren, De Boer, Cocu, Van Bronckhorst, ten Hag, Slot, Bosz
Looks bad for England, only country with no winner of its own nationality.

Can't they find a commercial/sponsor solution as has been found in Canada/USA

According to Sky Sports

The FA is in talks with representatives of Thomas Tuchel, with the German coach in pole position to become the new England manager.

It's not over. Soon he will be interviewed saying "Der kleine Junge in mir schreit Manchester United"

Why? The FA are loaded, and I'm pretty sure Capello was one of the highest paid managers in the world as England manager

England manager… Tuchel now massive odds on 1/4

Only an unlikely eleventh hour INEOS bid could change things

Brexit means Brexit. Bobby Moore will be turning in his grave. A bloody German managing the king's men. Two world wars...

Remember how the right wing press and brexit loving, flag shagging snowflakes were frothing at the mouth due to carsley not singing the national and demanded he be released from his role. Well it looks like they will get their wish but the replacement will be a german coach haha.

Ten Hag’s potential replacement decides against a return to a big European club. Curious appointment by the FA

He's an elite level manager, but I just find this embarrassing for Emgland.

They invest heavily in academies, coaching and FA Learning. Why can't they bring through their own coaches? What's going on?
we lost our most prominent manager farm in the floods of ‘22. unprecedented rainfall meant the walls of their pens were washed away by excess rainwater and mudslides. this allowed them to escape into the surrounding countryside. by the time the manager-keepers arrived in the morning, only lee carsley could be found after getting his trenchcoat snagged on a tree.

there’s been stories of managers sneaking down from the hills in the night to steal traffic cones, hi-vis jackets and anything else they can find that could be utilised in a training session, but they’re mostly old wives’ tales. i was driving through that area 6 months ago though and something that looked like harry redknapp with the body of sam allardyce ran out in front of my car. who knows what kind of fecked up experiments were going on.