Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

Impressive appointment from England. Shame we don't have the same levels of ambition.

Ineos simply didn't want to commit to Tuchel as he wasn't what was wanted.

He would be the manager if he was.

Clearly he isn't our no1 choice given we opted to stick with Ten Hag and are seemingly happy to let him go. When one of our preferred managers becomes available, we'll be all in for them rather than half-heartedly exploring the possibility as we did with Tuchel.

I think the England job is a great match for Tuchel, his football is well suited to cups and international football in particular. It'll be like the Southgate era but with some tactical nous and substitutions.

I might have missed it, but has anything been said that makes us think he's not/wasn't our number one choice, or is this our way of coping?

The story in the press has been that he is our number one choice, and that we tried to get him in the summer. The only idea that went against that was that he wanted control over transfers and that's why it didn't happen, but everything since points to that being unlikely. He apparently didn't want that at Chelsea, and now he is taking over the England job, where he will have to work with what is available. So, if you read between the lines, the most likely reality is that he turned us down.

I might have missed it, but has anything been said that makes us think he's not/wasn't our number one choice, or is this our way of coping?

The story in the press has been that he is our number one choice, and that we tried to get him in the summer. The only idea that went against that was that he wanted control over transfers and that's why it didn't happen, but everything since points to that being unlikely. He apparently didn't want that at Chelsea, and now he is taking over the England job, where he will have to work with what is available. So, if you read between the lines, the most likely reality is that he turned us down.
The press don’t have a clue.

Surely you know this by now?

If that Oliver Brown fella got annoyed by an English guy who had played for Ireland not singing the anthem then a German guy doing the same could make his tits fall off.
apparently they’re going to make him sing;

charlie, charlie, über alles,
über alles in der welt.

Huge for England. They're behind Spain and Germany for world cup favourites, but I'd say they will be 3rd favourites now, and Tuchel is a top manager who can get them over the edge, while no matter the squad, they were never tournament favourites (for me) with Southgate in charge.

Huge for England. They're behind Spain and Germany for world cup favourites, but I'd say they will be 3rd favourites now, and Tuchel is a top manager who can get them over the edge, while no matter the squad, they were never tournament favourites (for me) with Southgate in charge.
Absolutely. It’s finally coming home!

I'm not sure I buy into this. They seem to know about everything else, so when so many of them report or interest in Tuchel, I believe they're getting that from somewhere. Today for example, they knew about the Fergie news.
They don’t know about everything else though do they?

You’re being naive if you have decided to hang your hat on everything you read in the media.

Possibly good. Depends on if he's sorted his shit out now or not.

Guess we'll see.

Will take some time to get used to the fact a German is the England manager, it almost feels like sacrilege.

This is a real statement of intent by the FA, convincing Tuchel to have a go at international football is a major coup.

He's got a hell of a squad, hopefully he can get the most out of it now.

German managing England, never thought we'd see that one.

England going back to the Sven years by bringing in an absolute shagger. More lube than P Diddy even though none of the women he’s with ever need it.

Apparently Tuchel is confirmed? I'm actually surprised he's switched to int'l football because at Dortmund he was more tactically rigorous than even Klopp and provided an attractive alternative system to Gegenpressing, but his tactical demands seem more suited to club football where coaches have much more time to prepare. Int'l football has always favoured coaches who keep it simple, let the top players shine and don't overtinker the system; 95% of coaches who have won Euros or World Cups are native coaches who aren't great tactical brains but got the job done. Scaloni, De La Fuente, Deschamps, Loew... None of them are exciting prospects tactically and few would interest top CL clubs.

Anyway it should be interesting, Tuchel is someone who doesn't strive hard to be liked and tends to let the results speak for themselves (he was never as likeable as Klopp but filled Klopp's
shoes at Dortmund because due to his extensive prep and intensity, got nicknamed Laptoptrainer by the German press who stereotyped him as a statistical nerd), but he also seems to make more of an effort to charm the UK media than he does in Germany.

Fantastic appointment for England.

You are definitely one of the World Cup favourites with him in charge. He might get you over the line.

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm not necessarily bothered about him being German, but I've got doubts over his ability to keep a happy camp. Doesn't seem like the most long term of appointments. Also puts an end to any chance of us transitioning to a more attacking style of play.

For all his faults, I think there was genuine progress under Southgate. This seems to be a return to the pre Southgate era of appointing a big name manager and just hoping it works out.

At least that's him out of the running for the United job. Can't say I was ever a fan of him being the next manager.

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm not necessarily bothered about him being German, but I've got doubts over his ability to keep a happy camp. Doesn't seem like the most long term of appointments.

For all his faults, I think there was genuine progress under Southgate. This seems to be a return to the pre Southgate era of appointing a big name manager and just hoping it works out. Also means there's not much chance of us transitioning to a more attacking style.

At least that's him out of the running for the United job. Can't say I was ever a fan of him being the next manager.
I mean tbf this is every managerial appointment ever isn't it? There's never a guarantee of success, you literally appoint and hope.

Plus if we didn't hire a big name, there'd be just as many people complaining saying we have another Southgate or Carsley.

Guardiola is probably the only name that everyone would be happy with. Apart from the England manager must be English brigade.

Perfect job for him, 4 years covers a World Cup and Euros so it's not a huge long term project... Win one of those and he can pick pretty much whatever club side he fancies

Perfect job for him, 4 years covers a World Cup and Euros so it's not a huge long term project... Win one of those and he can pick pretty much whatever club side he fancies
Win one of those and he’s the king of England.

I am so depressed now. I was desperate to see him in United.
He will be huge success with England. This England team is perfect for his 343 system.