Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

Even Eddie isn't that good.
No I agree, he's the best of a bad bunch and if I had a gun to my head and had to be an Englishman that's who i'd choose.

He's done a fairly decent job at Newcastle, but Tuchel's credentials are way clear of anything Eddie has achieved.

Very good tactician, especially in-game. His downsides won't be shown here since he can just change players all the time (unless he has a fight with the big ones).
England might actually win something soon.

Don't expect shit tons of goals from tuchel England team. It will be one or 2 goals win at most.
International football is quite boring nowadays so Tuchel's style fits in quite well.
Naturally I hope he does well but, much like the previous manager, I'm not going to go out of my way to watch them outside of the two obvious major tournaments.

I seriously can't understand the issue of him being German. I mean really, who gives a shit? As long as he gets England playing well and winning, that's all that matters.
Does anybody else find it ironic that those complaining about him being foreign, are probably supporters of teams with foreign managers! The Prem is full of them, Spanish, Dutch, German, Austrain, Portuguese, Scottish even...but England must have an English manager??

Give me a break.
It is quite amusing. No English manager has ever won the PL, quite a bit of the royal family is of German descent and there also might be a hint in the word "Anglo-Saxon"...
But yes, a German manager for the national team is a step too far. :lol:

Truly incredible how this has triggered some of these supposed pundits. Just having a wild guess but I'd presume It's because none of them are particularly standing out Danny.

He isn't the only one, have a look at Neville, Carragher calling it an embarrassment. When former players speak out in those terms, shows you why Capello and Sven never managed to win things and didn't succeed.
English players then had no respect for these managers because they were not english.

Its a shame really, who cares what nationality the coach is? It just means England have a better chance of winning something.

He isn't the only one, have a look at Neville, Carragher calling it an embarrassment. When former players speak out in those terms, shows you why Capello and Sven never managed to win things and didn't succeed.
English players then had no respect for these managers because they were not english.

Its a shame really, who cares what nationality the coach is? It just means England have a better chance of winning something.
Don't know about Carragher, but what I read from Neville boils down to complaining "Why is there no English manager I can respect as much as Tuchel?" I don't see him saying Tuchel is a bad choice that he doesn't respect.

Don't know about Carragher, but what I read from Neville boils down to complaining "Why is there no English manager I can respect as much as Tuchel?" I don't see him saying Tuchel is a bad choice that he doesn't respect.

They used the terms shocked, embarrassed and although they mention that Tuchel is a good manager, his point is the manager should be english.

So when they were players, they had the same view, along with all the ex players coming out saying that, which shows regardless of how good the manager is, its nothing to do with their credibility, they just dont like the fact they are not English.

Would the complaining be the same if we appointed a Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish manager?

Would it be the same if we appointed Big Ange mate?

Would the complaining be the same if we appointed a Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish manager?

Would it be the same if we appointed Big Ange mate?
It wouldn't. But who cares? This is just a chance for German yellow press to make fun of British yellow press. This kind of reaction made English football a laughingstock in Germany now. Not the appointment itself, which is seen as a very good and sensible choice and reason to take the English national team seriously.

It wouldn't. But who cares? This is just a chance for German yellow press to make fun of British yellow press. This kind of reaction made English football a laughingstock in Germany now. Not the appointment itself, which is seen as a very good and sensible choice and reason to take the English national team seriously.
The funny thing is, if you ask these pundits who should get jobs, they'll probably say people should get them on merit but when it comes to football people should just get a job because of where they were born or their passport.

The funny thing is, if you ask these pundits who should get jobs, they'll probably say people should get them on merit but when it comes to football people should just get a job because of where they were born or their passport.
True.

But I have to say, actually I agree with this sentiment. A national team should represent a country, which means that not only the players, but also the staff should represent it. So I would have preferred if England signed an English manager.

Of course this opinion is in no way related to the fact that I think any English manager would have been a much worse choice and ensure that they surely won't win anything :lol:

I think the point you‘re making misses the criticism a bit. National teams are exclusionary by nature and the idea is, that they should be somewhat representative of their countries. And I don’t think it’s absurd or far fetched if people prefer the manager, who is usually the person who gives most interviews and so on, to be of the nationality the team represents.
Of course many in the media are just talking shit. No doubt about that. But I really don’t think the general point is absurd. National teams are representative by nature and they are representative of their countries.

They took your jerbs.... even NT manager position...

Anyway the ony way I see this being problematic for the Germans is if he managed to win something or knock Germany out.

If neither happens then nothing will happen. Football fans these days are more desensitized when it comes into history and rivalry. They just do it for the memes most of the times.

Last edited:
I have previously thought that international football should be one nation's best against another and that should include the manager and coaches.

Since Sven and Capello, I've grown to care a lot less.

Also since there are no English managers I really rate (at all), I'm perfectly happy with a foreigner, especially when it's one I like.

As for him being German, I don't care other than the fact that it annoys people I can't stand, which makes me happy.

I thought the outrage from the pundits were all memes.

It's shocking that the English believe only an English manager should lead their team.

If you are shocked that the Daily Mail doesn't want a foreigner to have a good job in England, you have not been paying attention.

Mostly surprised with the likes of Carragher and Neville.

Would they have the same reaction if Fergie had taken the job when he was offered it?

They took your jerbs.... even NT manager position...

Anyway the ony way I see this being problematic for the Germans is if he managed to win something or knock Germany out.

If neither happens then nothing will happen. Football fans these days are more desensitized when it comes into history and rivalry. They just do it for the memes most of the times.
There simply is no history of rivalry between Germany and England, which is why Germans don't care.

England feels that way towards Germany for reasons no German gets, but as established in this thread, that's very one-sided.

Dunno why a lot of people are against this because he isn’t English. If he wins us a euro or a world cup I’m pretty sure the likes of Carragher etc will be quiet then and praising him.

What was the reaction when Capello got the job? And is this still lingering resentment from WW2?
In the media i don't think there was much objection apart from a few outliers, social media wasn't really a thing so you didn't get exposed to as many opinions but anecdotally I can't remember people saying we need an English manager. The same for Sven except that time it was the first time.

Guardiola has also been linked by journalists and I doubt we'd have seen as many pundits say we need an English manager if it were him.

It's all very strange as Tuchel is hugely-regarded, we haven't appointed Daniel Farke.

What was the reaction when Capello got the job? And is this still lingering resentment from WW2?

There was the same kinda stuff with Sven and then Capello. Capello got more of a pass than Sven because he was so well respected.

England v Germany is a rivalry (for England fans at least). There's a few reasons and lingering resentment from wars is of course one of them.

He isn't the only one, have a look at Neville, Carragher calling it an embarrassment.
As if these self-important pundits weren't absolutely embarrassing at coaching themselves, if they were any good would England need to hire foreigners? Neville got the Valencia gig via nepotism and proved that so-called "top football pundits" are basically empty vessels who make noise. Contrast that to Tuchel or Nagelsmann who carved out coaching careers despite not being famous or having doors opened. These top English ex-pros yap about Johnny Foreigner when the real problem is why all of them lack the capability to coach a top team and are only good as talking heads on TV :lol:

England v Germany is a rivalry (for England fans at least). There's a few reasons and lingering resentment from wars is of course one of them.
What are the other reasons? Genuinely curious.

It’s a bit odd to not be over historical factors like that yet. Denmark was occupied by Germany for most of WW2 and we had a German head coach in the 1980’s - that was before my time, but never heard it described as a problem.
Obviously the two examples are not directly comparable as England was much more directly engaged in the war, including being heavily bombed. Still, seems odd to me, even if it’s just a vocal minority.

What are the other reasons? Genuinely curious.

It’s a bit odd to not be over historical factors like that yet. Denmark was occupied by Germany for most of WW2 and we had a German head coach in the 1980’s - that was before my time, but never heard it described as a problem.
Obviously the two examples are not directly comparable as England was much more directly engaged in the war, including being heavily bombed. Still, seems odd to me, even if it’s just a vocal minority.

Italia 90 semi finals.
Euro 96 semi finals.

That's just the football side of things.

Anti-german sentiment has been a thing in England for over 100 years, it's not just a hangover from the second world war. The royal family changed their name in 1917 because of it.

Last edited:
Dunno why a lot of people are against this because he isn’t English. If he wins us a euro or a world cup I’m pretty sure the likes of Carragher etc will be quiet then and praising him.
The real problem is why can't we produce managers/coaches that are capable of being at the top of their profession?

The top footballing nations can do it, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, England can do it at the levels below with the junior teams, why doesn't that translate to the bigger clubs or the national team?

As if these self-important pundits weren't absolutely embarrassing at coaching themselves, if they were any good would England need to hire foreigners? Neville got the Valencia gig via nepotism and proved that so-called "top football pundits" are basically empty vessels who make noise. Contrast that to Tuchel or Nagelsmann who carved out coaching careers despite not being famous or having doors opened. These top English ex-pros yap about Johnny Foreigner when the real problem is why all of them lack the capability to coach a top team and are only good as talking heads on TV :lol:

Exactly. But I think its the way for these ex pros... come on TV to criticise something they cannot do. I have seen so many former players moan about this, none of them who can coach. They are pundits because they can't coach and come on TV talking about managers who should do x,y,z. I will anger alot of people by saying this but its the lack of quality of English coaches. They are traditionally 442 and haven't really evolved.

The reason why so many PL clubs go with foreign coach because the english ones understanding of the game isnt up to modern day football.

How many english coaches get top jobs? none. How many foreigners get the top jobs? all the time. They just not good at understanding the game.

Italia 90 semi finals.
Euro 96 semi finals.

That's just the football side of things.

Anti-german sentiment has been a thing in England for over 100 years, it's not just a hangover from the second world war. The royal family changed their name in 1917 because of it.
So it's a hangover from the first world war?

Just read through a few pieces - absolutely hilarious :D He might have to defend himself if they win WC 2026 even. The same press/collective mindset that made you choose Brexit.

Good appointment. Best manager available and with a high level squad like England has, anything else would be a waste of talent.

For those complaining about the appointment, I'd be instead asking why some footballing nations like Germany, Spain or Italy keep are producing quality managers in much greater numbers than England does? Where is the pipeline failing?