Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

You only say that because the odds the German FA of hiring an Englishman are pretty much 0%. I bet the mood would change if it was a real possibility.
Not really. If the situation would become so dire, that an English manager appears as the best option, he would be welcomed as the saviour of German football and put under so much pressure that he wouldn't survive it for long, but he would be welcomed.

Out of all the racist things you can aim at England and papers like the Daily Mail, this really is the last one. The English have every right to question why their system which is one of the most powerful and resourceful in the planet, can't produce a single good candidate. Any other major footballing nation would ask the same thing and would be well within their rights to.
This is a great point. I do find it odd that a great English manager hasn’t emerged since Sir Bobby Robson. Do you believe that is a lack of patience amongst the media and fans that makes it a near impossible task to come up as an English manager? At the very least there are bright managers coming up like McKenna who could change the narrative.

Would be funny if England got by far the hardest draws they've gotten in a decade and perform "worse" by losing in, say, a semi-final against Spain after having already knocked out a Germany or Argentina, and people realize the true value of Southgate - his incredible luck.

I suppose it’s easy for me as a non Englishman as I haven’t experienced the starvation of success England has suffered. I myself don’t think England produce the intellectual capital capable of success at the highest but it’s almost one of those “I might think so but you shouldn’t say it, back yourself up or even better have the pride to develop that and trust that it will sustain you more”. As I said, I can’t relate to the average English fan in terms of just how much they want that trophy, and there is literally nothing else I feel nationalistic about, but international football for always felt like a celebration of one’s football culture and how they see the game. Brazil, Spain, Italy… etc won things that vilidated their football culture. Can England say the same if they win now?
Could they have said it from 2001 to 2006 or from 2007 to 2012 when two foreigners were in charge of the squad? It's not like this is even the first time this happened, making this outcry even weirder. The only reason anybody can see this as a crossing of the Rubicon, a "dark day for England", or anything of that sort, is if they are so subscribed to that onesided rivalry that somehow Swedes and Italians are fine, but Germans are not. Capello and Eriksson certainly didn't seem to bother English football enough to overhaul their manager education system in the past two decades.

Like, I get your point about it being supposed to be pitting one country's system against another originally, but that has not been true for a very long time now. Many countries field players who might have the pass, but have barely ever been to the nation they play for, having received much or all of their footballing education and everyday training in other nations. And even those playing in their own nations in many cases learn from foreign managers and coaches. So how "national" is a national team, really?
Foreign managers aren't really any worse than that, in my opinion. Other countries and England themselves have employed foreigners for quite a while.

This is a great point. I do find it odd that a great English manager hasn’t emerged since Sir Bobby Robson. Do you believe that is a lack of patience amongst the media and fans that makes it a near impossible task to come up as an English manager? At the very least there are bright managers coming up like McKenna who could change the narrative.
McKenna although born in London, was raised in and represented Northern Ireland at youth level.

I refer you to my previous point where the Daily Mail reaction has nothing do with the management discussion but more to do with Xenophobia.

he doesn’t start until january. he’s got the best part of two months to prove he’s english enough by smashing up a balearic island and getting a load of packet in for the lads.
Germans smash up Malaga (or some other place in Spain)

Impressive that he's already persuaded his countrymen to take up our national pastime
I don't think it was Tuchel, I think it was this guy

iu

You only say that because the odds the German FA of hiring an Englishman are pretty much 0%. I bet the mood would change if it was a real possibility.

Sometimes a picture says more than words:

1y4r75.jpg

It applies to most questions in this rivalry, minus the deeper meaning in the show.

I think this is the best England could've possibly done and should be an exciting time if you're an English supporter or player. You might actually play like a proper "team" now, egos notwithstanding. Southgate did well building a good culture but he also had the benefit of not being challenged at any point from within the dressing room because most of the players under him were young and hadn't really achieved anything. It's a bit different now, the expectations are a whole lot different now and I think that's going to be Tuchel's biggest challenge and not the actual tactics, where he's clearly far superior to Southgate.

I like Tuchel so this might be the first time I actually root for England in a World Cup since the days of Beckham. I can also picture myself listening to Sam Matterface or Darren "Fletch" Fletcher purring for five minutes about some dumb six yard pass by (insert English flavour of that week) and changing my mind very quickly.

He Is better than most International managers as far as I know.

However, I do have doubts about his ST choices with Chupo Moting, Aubameyang, Lukaku & a title losing Kane.

Will he stick with Kane even if he looks crap in 3 years time? What if he chooses someone like Watkins permanently as his no1 striker?

I also think his UCL final win was a little lucky but he has managed to get some clubs to semi finals aswell.

A great appointment but still not got some tingling doubts like a bit of dandruff on a newwashed-outhair. Hope for the best.

Every manager gets sacked though, if you didn’t you’re either still there or you’ve retired.

I’m not saying he’s at the top of his game, but I didn’t think he was ready for the international management scrap heap just yet.
He's going to coach a WC then likely go back to club football. Useful to rebuild his stock + cushy, high paying and significantly less stressful job. Not so surprising honestly. It would have been surprising had he actually picked it over United, for example
Do you support Spain or Italy?
Weird question
Look at how quick Bayern and Chelsea (and PSG and also BVB) fire their coaches on a regular basis though. One other thing they have in common is that the upper management isn‘t top notch either - and that goes for all four clubs he‘s been working at at last.

He‘s a top coach, good for England. Klopp or Pep probably better but he‘s top drawer regardless.
Sure he is, that doesn't change the fact that he's coming off back-to-back sackings and his stock is at an all-time low, post Bayern
Domenico Tedesco (Belgium)
Some journos in Italy want to claim him and pretend he's any good. And he certainly plays up his Italianism with our media. But yeah, feck that, he's all yours. Even his name says so!

Some journos in Italy want to claim him and pretend he's any good. And he certainly plays up his Italianism with our media. But yeah, feck that, he's all yours. Even his name says so!

How did they work that one out, I mean he never even worked in Italy, did he?
Not that anyone would fight over the bragging rights to him - he's a mediocre coach by both countries's standards, isn't he?

I'm sure it was spoken about at the time, but what was the general reaction to Wiegman being appointed as England's women's manager? It's a non-issue now, given how she's done. I do understand the preference for an English manager but the outrage has been over the top imo.

If he wins the WC, no one will care that he's German and even if he takes a club job after the World Cup, he would be considered a legend in England. Capello doesn't have the same respect but Sven was a very respected figure given how he went about the role.

I find it really ironic that Neville and Carragher find it embarrassing that England have to hire a foreign coach for the national team to be successful when they have no problem with neither United nor Liverpool having very many Englishmen in their starting lineups.

I’m really excited by this appointment. Not an Englishman myself, but have always had a soft spot for them with the big overlap with United players (Beckham’s free kick vs Greece and Owen’s goal vs Argentina are randomly some of my favourite memories).

I watched the recent Euros final in a pub where most were supporting England and it was quite sad how few the moments were for people to get excited.

There is a strong squad here and a lot of creative players who Southgate struggled to use effectively, yet even then the team was in two major finals. Marginal improvements needed here IMO to take them over the line and I am pretty optimistic about Tuchel delivering on that.

Reactions: jojojo
Delighted with this appointment.

Horrified at that Daily Mail back page.

Yes. For England it is a really good appointment.
Do I care if Tuchel is German. Absolutely not.
Do I care that he is a top top coach. Yes definitely.
I just wish that he had been appointed as United coach.
But alas not to be.
So the next best thing is that he is now the coach of the English national team.

I’m really excited by this appointment. Not an Englishman myself, but have always had a soft spot for them with the big overlap with United players (Beckham’s free kick vs Greece and Owen’s goal vs Argentina are randomly some of my favourite memories).

I watched the recent Euros final in a pub where most were supporting England and it was quite sad how few the moments were for people to get excited.

There is a strong squad here and a lot of creative players who Southgate struggled to use effectively, yet even then the team was in two major finals. Marginal improvements needed here IMO to take them over the line and I am pretty optimistic about Tuchel delivering on that.

Good post.