Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

Don't worry so much. Its in the nature of these things to be one sided - everyone in Germany knows about the "Wembley goal", while the English often don't even know what we're talking about.
True. But the fun thing about that is that everyone knows the name of the linesman who made the wrong call (Tofiq Beramov), but not who scored it (at least I have no idea). It's more a testament to shit referee performances than to a real rivalry with England.

But why do they need a winner of pedigree. You don't have to be a big name or a winner at club level to have success at international management. They should have gone with one of Howe, potter or carsely. If they are not good enough to win a trophy then tough. We need to produce our own tuchel. English football has been shocking at producing high quliaty football managers for decades, now. And moves like this won't help with fixing that issue.
Why? Because the bloke who wasn’t a proven winner couldn’t get us over the line in several tournaments.

True. But the fun thing about that is that everyone knows the name of the linesman who made the wrong call (Tofiq Beramov), but not who scored it (at least I have no idea). It's more a testament to shit referee performances than to a real rivalry with England.
The call was correct. The ball crossed the line right in front of Roger Hunt who reacted instinctively. The scorer was Geoff Hurst who scored a hat-trick that day.

i think you're right that the issue needs fixing at grass roots. I would have hoped st geroge's park would have helped by now. I don't know why we can't produce elite coaches. I'm sure it's a multifaceted issue, but giving the top job to a non englishman is symbolically...not good.
Come back to this in 10 years or so. England only just in modern times adapted how they look and play the game compared to other countries at the youth level. You're finally seeing a different type of English youth prospect in recent times that's far more technical than what was often produced a decade or so ago, and I suspect coaches will be the same way. McKenna being a good example of a potentially elite coach that isn't stuck in the old cliches of what used to be an English way of looking at the game.

For now I think it's weird how up in arms so many are getting about the appointment. You'd think for a nation so devoid of any modern success (comparitively), many of these pundits would be thrilled at hiring what is potentially the best coach on the market to finally take advantage of what many think is the most talented overall group of players the country has seen in many years. Instead many of them are getting pissy because Eddie Howe didn't get the job.

Gary Neville another one with "why not English coach". He really is a sleazeball.
Did you actually listen to what he said?

He actually questioned why the set-up hasn't been able to generate a suitable coach at the senior level, it's managed it at the levels below, that's a fair question

Get visions of 30 pissed, lobster red expat brits outside of an Irish pub in Palm beach dressed only in shorts/sandals, belting it out in front of a crowd of bemused Cuban Americans
Replace Palm Beach with Tampa and Cuban with ” “ and that’s my actual experience.

I'm sure it's already been dicussed but curious to see if Germans, Italians, Spanish, French etc have the same approach with their managers? Do you care where they're from?

I'm sure it's already been dicussed but curious to see if Germans, Italians, Spanish, French etc have the same approach with their managers? Do you care where they're from?
A little. To me the manager is part and face of the team. So if we are supposed to only play players in our team that are German, I think it makes sense to apply this to the manager, too. Everyone else I don’t care about.
It’s also for pragmatic reasons. Depending on coaches with your nationality forces you to adequately train young and talented coaches in your country.

I can't remember for the life of me any of those nations employing a non-national in that position, but I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgeable on the subject.

He actually questioned why the set-up hasn't been able to generate a suitable coach at the senior level, it's managed it at the levels below, that's a fair question
I did, but I'm still struggling to understand his point. He seems to be under the impression there is some secret sauce in coaching badges that the English don't have access to that other countries somehow do. And that elite countries have maintained the same style and tactics in their play over the decades and not adapted as football and their players have changed. The fact he has been in and around St Georges and comes out with this cack in fairness ironically does support his point.

Lets say that you and me read his quotes differently.
In one thing he is right though; England lacks coaches with specific style of play. I can't think of any English manager with recognisable style of play. Potter maybe?

Last edited:
They took your jerbs.... even NT manager position...

Anyway the ony way I see this being problematic for the Germans is if he managed to win something or knock Germany out.

If neither happens then nothing will happen. Football fans these days are more desensitized when it comes into history and rivalry. They just do it for the memes most of the times.
Tuchel in charge of England winning world cup and Euro double by knocking out the Germans in the final. I would love to see that.

Sadly yes.

Fairly certain that's a tiny minority, with that viewpoint being amplified by the right wing press.

That said I just think in general I'd rather the same rules which apply to the players about nationality about nationality also apply to the head coach. The manager is a fundamental part of the footballing set-up and it just kind of undermines the whole point of international football to allow candidates from overseas to take the role.

You want the success of an international team to be representative of the footballing set-up in that particular country so logically the rules on nationality should be applied to the coach as well.

I'll be happy if Tuchel has success with England, but the shine will be taken off any success knowing that we didn't achieve it with an English coach. It'd be the same feeling as if we took prime Messi and stuck him in the team and he led us to glory.

I hardly give a feck about international football but this appointment (and those in the past of Cappello & Eriksson) further strips the meaning away from it.

Germany, France, Spain etc. have hardly any instances of overseas managers leading them (randomly the only one on a quick scan I could find is a Romanian manager France had for 2 years in the 70s) and I'd find it bizarre if any of them had an English manager turn out for them. I suspect as well their respective media would go nuts about it as well.

Roy Hodgson was considered for the Germany NT job in 1998.
van Gaal was considered (or at least publicly discussed) last year, instead Nagelsmann got the job in the end. Some of his ex-players and today's pundits (like Schweinsteiger and Lahm) were advocating for him and he felt honoured. I think the public discussion in Germany also was quite open for that option, I can't remember any big outcry that he shouldn't get the job because he is Dutch, more a discussion of his qualities etc, much like it would have been for any other (German) manager who was a candidate.

He would have been the first foreigner in the job, but as he is generally highly respected in Germany it wouldn't have been a problem I think. At least the outrage appeared to be far smaller than now in England over Tuchel (but then, it was only a rumour).