Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

But why do they need a winner of pedigree. You don't have to be a big name or a winner at club level to have success at international management. They should have gone with one of Howe, potter or carsely. If they are not good enough to win a trophy then tough. We need to produce our own tuchel. English football has been shocking at producing high quliaty football managers for decades, now. And moves like this won't help with fixing that issue.
Ultimately, giving an English manager the top job isn't going to fix anything either. They need to invest in the grass roots level more than anything. Honestly I think Potter is the only credible candidate there and who knows how much he wanted the job and the pressures that come with it.

Howe is a contender but I don't think taking him from Newcastle mid season is as easy a task as some might think. He'll no doubt get a look in to manage England again but the Newcastle gig might be as good as it gets for him at club level.

Tuchel may well even help some of the up and coming coaches working at different levels within the FA.

Giving the job to say Lampard isn't going to make us produce better managers for years to come.

Tuchel is probably the best manager that the FA could get, and given the quality of the current squad that he gets to work with, alongside the established precedent that a manager can be of any nationality, then I think it's a great appointment.

I think there can be a discussion on that precedent though - why would any national team be allowed to employ a manager of a different nationality, when the players must be restricted to representing only one nation at the senior level?

I'm not crying foul of England being managed by someone non-English, but I would be interested to hear whether there is any appetite for amending FIFA's rules such that the entire footballing structure for each national team would be restricted to people eligible to represent that nation, so that international football becomes a matter of representing one's own country through the entire team and support structure through-and-through.

I would be interested to hear whether there is any appetite for amending FIFA's rules such that the entire footballing structure for each national team would be restricted to people eligible to represent that nation, so that international football becomes a matter of representing one's own country through the entire team and support structure through-and-through.
I don't think there is. Hiring foreign managers is a great way for developing football countries to get outside influence and improve the quality of their team and general setup a lot. Of course it would be preferrable for every nation to be able to have the full setup homegrown, but where do you draw the line between the small nationa needing help and the proper big nations?

Ultimately, giving an English manager the top job isn't going to fix anything either. They need to invest in the grass roots level more than anything. Honestly I think Potter is the only credible candidate there and who knows how much he wanted the job and the pressures that come with it.

Howe is a contender but I don't think taking him from Newcastle mid season is as easy a task as some might think. He'll no doubt get a look in to manage England again but the Newcastle gig might be as good as it gets for him at club level.

Tuchel may well even help some of the up and coming coaches working at different levels within the FA.

Giving the job to say Lampard isn't going to make us produce better managers for years to come.
i think you're right that the issue needs fixing at grass roots. I would have hoped st geroge's park would have helped by now. I don't know why we can't produce elite coaches. I'm sure it's a multifaceted issue, but giving the top job to a non englishman is symbolically...not good.

Tuchel is probably the best manager that the FA could get, and given the quality of the current squad that he gets to work with, alongside the established precedent that a manager can be of any nationality, then I think it's a great appointment.

I think there can be a discussion on that precedent though - why would any national team be allowed to employ a manager of a different nationality, when the players must be restricted to representing only one nation at the senior level?

I'm not crying foul of England being managed by someone non-English, but I would be interested to hear whether there is any appetite for amending FIFA's rules such that the entire footballing structure for each national team would be restricted to people eligible to represent that nation, so that international football becomes a matter of representing one's own country through the entire team and support structure through-and-through.
the players can actually change teams, if they only have a certain number of caps. I feel the same abut players as I do the managers when it comes to big teams. I've said it before, but it's a joke that spain won the euro's with two french lads playing for them. Makes a mockery of it.

@TheGame Perhaps more English coaches need to head abroad for their Uefa A license and to accumulate coaching experience like Potter. IIRC Paul Lambert did his Uefa badges in Germany with the DFB after playing for us so it's not restricted to local coaches.

Will Still the 32yo English coach of RC Lens also did his Uefa badges in Belgium, if he was German he'd be talked up as an exciting upcoming coach like Naglesmann's time at Hoffenheim. Still had issues getting his Pro licence too (famous pros get fast-tracked to do their badges over other applicants but not all end up in coaching since they're already rich enough to take it easy) and his Ligue 1 club was fined for having an unlicensed coach but he's the type of young coach England need to produce more of: fluent in multiple languages, able to work internationally and communicate with players of different nationalities like the foreign coaches PL clubs love to hire.

Last edited: