The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sorry for her, people don't deserve to have their lives ruined because they voted for the wrong person.

I feel sorry for her, people don't deserve to have their lives ruined because they voted for the wrong person.
I don't. She didn't care about other people because she never thought it was going to affect her. People vote for harsh policies, for that reason. "It doesn't affect me so I don't care."

I don't. She didn't care about other people because she never thought it was going to affect her. People vote for harsh policies, for that reason. "It doesn't affect me so I don't care."

We don't know her situation or the reasons why she voted. Or are you suggesting every single Trump supporter subscribes to this way of thinking?

This. Absolutely this.

There is such horrible, pig headed ignorance to these people. They can't see past the end of their own nose and couldn't give a shit how these hideous policies have such a damaging effect on perfectly innocent lives. Hopefully this is a real wake up call to her and she will start to understand the horrible position her vote put millions of other people in.

Yes...they do.

Trump specifically said over and over again...I'll deport illegals.

She supported deportation of illegals...but, she thought her husband was 'different'...'others' would get deported.

Well sucked in.

I for one thank ICE, DHS and Lord Trump for bringing back the rule of law to my nation.

After all what is a nation without laws and borders?

#MAGA

Yes...they do.

Trump specifically said over and over again...I'll deport illegals.

She supported deportation of illegals...but, she thought her husband was 'different'...'others' would get deported.

Well sucked in.

I for one thank ICE, DHS and Lord Trump for bringing back the rule of law to my nation.

After all what is a nation without laws and borders?

#MAGA

I'm sorry but that is complete nonsense.

Republicans have been getting poor white people to vote against their own interests for as long as I can remember.

Maybe she voted for Trump because she's struggling financially and wanted a change. Maybe she's a huge fan of The Apprentice. Maybe she believed Fox news when they told her Clinton was a criminal. I mean, we just don't know the main reasons or what was most important to her when she voted.

Republicans have been getting poor white people to vote against their own interests for as long as I can remember.

Maybe she voted for Trump because she's struggling financially and wanted a change. Maybe she's a huge fan of The Apprentice. Maybe she believed Fox news when they told her Clinton was a criminal. I mean, we just don't know the main reasons or what was most important to her when she voted.

So we're supposed to feel sorry for her because she didn't bother to consider what he was actually saying?

May be she wanted to get rid of her husband.

So we're supposed to feel sorry for her because she didn't bother to consider what he was actually saying?

No, you can feel whatever you like. My point was, people don't deserve to have their live's ruined because they get duped into voting for the wrong person. It's not that hard to make a mistake like that, especially given the amount of money the likes of the GOP spend on getting people to believe their bs.

If she was someone who specifically voted for Trump because she felt her city had been torn down by the Democrats' policies, and wasn't a fan of the ban/wall, then ok.
However, she was owns a restaurant and seems to be financially well off, and was a supporter of deportation, believing it will affect "other" people. No sympathy, she can celebrate her country which has become great again by implementing the law and deporting the no-doubt-scum illegals.

More generally, I don't like this whole "good people" business, it's such a subservient way of gifting away rights by assuming the govt can sort out good and bad (or even that "good people" are some special category who get to remain).

Meanwhile

I remember when owners of a guest house in Cornwall were in the news for not allowing gay couples to stay under their roof because homosexuality was against their religious beliefs. They actually went much further than that as they wouldn't let unmarried couples stay in the same room either. Yes, they were well aware it was 2015 (or whenever it was in the news) but still they didn't care, they stuck by their beliefs. Well they did until the courts said they weren't allowed to discriminate and until Facebook and Twitter took the story viral and the business lost all it's customers. I think the nasty bitch who caused this young lady and her friends so much grief deserves a taste of that medicine.

If she was someone who specifically voted for Trump because she felt her city had been torn down by the Democrats' policies, and wasn't a fan of the ban/wall, then ok.
However, she was owns a restaurant and seems to be financially well off, and was a supporter of deportation, believing it will affect "other" people. No sympathy, she can celebrate her country which has become great again by implementing the law and deporting the no-doubt-scum illegals.

More generally, I don't like this whole "good people" business, it's such a subservient way of gifting away rights by assuming the govt can sort out good and bad (or even that "good people" are some special category who get to remain).

Making a lot of assumptions there. I stand by my original point that we don't know the reasons. Half the country were convinced by Trump for one reason or another, they can't all have been terrible people who deserve their lives to be ripped apart, that's for sure.

Making a lot of assumptions there. I stand by my original point that we don't know the reasons. Half the country were convinced by Trump for one reason or another, they can't all have been terrible people who deserve their lives to be ripped apart, that's for sure.

They're not assumptions though. There's multiple articles on this woman and her views.

Her husband broke the law twice. She's an idiot.

They're not assumptions though. There's multiple articles on this woman and her views.

Her husband broke the law twice. She's an idiot.

Can point me to the article which shows how financially well off she is? Or the one that lists all the circumstances and reasons she had for voting for Trump?

Actually it's more like 20%.

And seeing that various polls/surveys have 20-25% of Americans holding various malignant opinions, it's probably fair to say most of Trump voters are terrible, one way or another.

And seeing that various polls/surveys have 20-25% of Americans holding various malignant opinions, it's probably fair to say most of Trump voters are terrible, one way or another.

do those 20-25% of Americans deserve to have their lives ruined for their opinions?

do those 20-25% of Americans deserve to have their lives ruined for their opinions?
Well they voted for it. Personal responsibility, remember?

I just can't muster any empathy for them, when there are people who didn't vote Trump having their lives ruined.

Although that is true, I think it's also true that continually pointing this out to them and telling them this probably isn't the best way to go about getting them on board or to see the error of their ways, at the very least, to see it from others points of view.

And that is hard to argue against simply because that is THEIR attitude towards everything when it is going their way, but not another's, and this is exactly where their attitude against free healthcare and education for all comes in. However, this is where humanity and empathy are supposed to come in to it, and as Michelle Obama said, when they go low, we go high. Part of being human is helping others and giving people chances. We want free healthcare, even for the ones who don't want it themselves, we want their kids and all kids to have free education, no distinctions. I agree it's hard to have any sympathy or empathy for these people, but we simply cannot lower ourselves to their level, otherwise what the feck is the point of it all?

I must add that harsh lessons are a necessity though, just to show people where they have gone wrong, otherwise they will never learn, and there is no deterrent for them to not make the same mistake again.

Last edited:

I just can't muster any empathy for them, when there are people who didn't vote Trump having their lives ruined.

Well that is an important distinction, isn't it? There's a bit of a gap between 'I can't feel sympathy for them' which I think is reasonably understandable, and 'they deserve it'. And with 20% of people in an entire country voting for the guy, I'd like to think there's more going on than them just all being terrible people who deserve to be fecked over, like perhaps, they are generally decent people caught up in a bad situation and were duped/tricked into believing in some bad ideas through the usual fear tactics.

Anyway, I think I've made my point. I'll shut up now :)

No, you can feel whatever you like. My point was, people don't deserve to have their live's ruined because they get duped into voting for the wrong person. It's not that hard to make a mistake like that, especially given the amount of money the likes of the GOP spend on getting people to believe their bs.
I'm pretty much with @Neutral here: When a candidate is that open about his policies as Twitler was, I feel no sympathy if people vote for him because they think it won't affect them or 'he doesn't really mean it'.

I have to admit that I have some sympathy for Jason Brennon's suggestion for elements of epistocracy although I'm sure it will never happen.

I'm pretty much with @Neutral here: When a candidate is that open about his policies as Twitler was, I feel no sympathy if people vote for him because they think it won't affect them or 'he doesn't really mean it'.

I have to admit that I have some sympathy for Jason Brennon's suggestion for elements of epistocracy although I'm sure it will never happen.

Fair enough.

Another blast from the past....

TBF to him, when asked about the mcdonald's burger comment 'would you be confrontational' he does try to make it better by supersizing it 'I'd probably get him a double sized big mac'

Can point me to the article which shows how financially well off she is? Or the one that lists all the circumstances and reasons she had for voting for Trump?

Google Fu, go...

Owner of a popular restaurant which employs 20 people, voted for "the economy"'s sake despite her husband telling her repeatedly "He's going to get rid of the Mexicans", i.e. him. She was all for deporting illegal immigrants that, er, weren't her husband. She was even, at one stage, an illegal immigrant herself!
http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...cle_65151376-10b7-11e7-ba7c-6783f924ac92.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-law-abiding-husband/?utm_term=.2edc013284fb

That took ten seconds. I could post all of the other articles too, but you get the idea.

You'll get some party loyalists who may not like him but always vote red.

Google Fu, go...

Owner of a popular restaurant which employs 20 people, voted for "the economy"'s sake despite her husband telling her repeatedly "He's going to get rid of the Mexicans", i.e. him. She was all for deporting illegal immigrants that, er, weren't her husband. She was even, at one stage, an illegal immigrant herself!
http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...cle_65151376-10b7-11e7-ba7c-6783f924ac92.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-law-abiding-husband/?utm_term=.2edc013284fb

That took ten seconds. I could post all of the other articles too, but you get the idea.

Right so she voted for the economy, thanks for posting

Could the owner get a civil case taken against them?

I doubt it. Airbnb falls into that murky territory between business and residential housing. Best the girl could hope for is some sort of compensation from the company itself and the owner get her profile terminated/not allowed to do business with AirBnB anymore due to violation of ToS.

For me, the biggest take away from Trump's campaign was getting rid of Mexicans and keeping them out.

There is no excuse for voting Trump on an economic basis and claiming ignorance on one of his biggest and most vocal commitments.

Stripping it all back, yes I feel bad her life has been ruined, and it has been ruined. But, in context, these people need to learn the hard way. Ignorance is bliss, until your husband gets sent packing.

Sorry that I have to come back to this.

I expect from every voter, regardless of education, that they take party positions into consideration and make an informed decision.

When voters find their opinions across party lines, they usually prioritize certain areas of concern.

This restaurant owner prioritized the economy.

She was very well aware that the very same candidate and party which she preferred to lead the country post-election would be tough on immigrants.
She actually supported it - because she was downright stupid and hypocritical enough to think it couldn't affect her own family.

All I can say is: Tough luck, beware what you wish for.

I do pity her husband, but she got exactly what she wanted: A president who's tough on immigration.

I was being quite sincere just in case that wasn't obvious - I can't be trawling through google atm but I won't bore you with the details of why

Oops, ok - you came off glib, to be honest. If sincere, fair enough. But she voted for "the economy" despite her own her own husband telling her what would happen.

Oops, ok - you came off glib, to be honest. If sincere, fair enough. But she voted for "the economy" despite her own her own husband telling her what would happen.

Yeah, it's pretty damn stupid of her. You won't get any argument from me on that. That's before you even begin to consider at the idea of Trump being good for the economy!

Yeah, it's pretty damn stupid of her. You won't get any argument from me on that. That's before you even begin to consider at the idea of Trump being good for the economy!

I don't think she was even looking for "good". She was looking for "a change". It's ridiculous I have to use so many quotation marks discussing her, but that's the ridiculousness of it - the utter lack of specific details. Any change was acceptable to her, so long as it was a change, and she wasn't even one of the hard-up desperate people who you can understand that kind of logic from. She just wanted anything, and she got it.

I remember when owners of a guest house in Cornwall were in the news for not allowing gay couples to stay under their roof because homosexuality was against their religious beliefs. They actually went much further than that as they wouldn't let unmarried couples stay in the same room either. Yes, they were well aware it was 2015 (or whenever it was in the news) but still they didn't care, they stuck by their beliefs. Well they did until the courts said they weren't allowed to discriminate and until Facebook and Twitter took the story viral and the business lost all it's customers. I think the nasty bitch who caused this young lady and her friends so much grief deserves a taste of that medicine.
The Marazion guest house? 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.