The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
German Spiegel has a story today that since Trump took over the count of civilian deaths in Syria has gone up significantly and since January there is more civilian deaths through American bombs than through Russian...

Seems like Trump has changed some of the standards for airstrikes...

Trump has no clue what it will do, he has no clue what obamacare did, and he doesn't care what the effects will be, and he couldn't understand it even if he was bothered.

Yeah, I know that, it just seems bizarre because he is a people pleaser and has made promises, core promises that his campaign was built on. It's nothing new for politicians to go back on their word, but this is political suicide. It's akin to Nick Clegg promising free tuition to students. This will haunt Trump for his entire time as President and it will ultimately cost him re-election if he lasts that long.

Trump would ideally want to keep his party on side but I could see his temperament getting the better of him to an extent.

I can see that too, I can only imagine the way he's throwing his toys out of the pram at the moment. I wish, oh how I wish I was a fly on the White House walls right now.

Trump really wanted to rush this through and then get to Tax 'reforms' - he knew ALL the republicans would be on board with that, as well big business - a freebie basically for any Republican President.

Instead, he's getting bogged down with this...

Trump really wanted to rush this through and then get to Tax 'reforms' - he knew ALL the republicans would be on board with that, as well big business - a freebie basically for any Republican President.

Instead, he's getting bogged down with this...

Between this and his country ban getting struck down again, seems like he's finally discovering the limitations that come with being President. Will be fun to see him implode.

I am not surprised that this is going tits up. After all, the GOP historically struggled to agree on a unified position when it comes to health-care. The ACA opposition was purely based on power politics to oppose Obama. A really poorly crafted reform bill just makes things worse. In the short-run this is certainly a major blow for Trump. I am not sure if the same is true for the long run. The criticism from the right wouldn’t stop and the republicans would own the quagmire of health-care, which is inherently unstable.

This bill failing will allow Trump to shift all the blame back onto the FHC and the ACA.

Looking likely

Who knows, maybe a weekend home with their constituents will persuade them to vote yes!

Rep Comstock is from my state...and she's been getting a real kicking for days. Her district is very white and very rich.

I'm from the 8th district (one of the few real Democratic strongholds in Virginia)

Carter Page and Roger Stone also volunteer to be questioned by the Intel committee (CNN).

Slightly suspicious all these Trump associates are popping up today and offering to appear at a committee hearing.

It's known that the Russians hacked both the DNC and the RNC, but only the Democratic emails were leaked. Does this mean the GOP are compromised
Never thought of it. These guys have their own shite to hide.

Spicey sounding sad.
It was a comedy gold moment when Spicey said something along the lines of 'why are you so negative, it's a positive Friday' and some journos outright laughed. :D

Spicey much more sheepish today after his bullish press conference yesterday about how this is going to pass like it was basically in the bag

Richard Nixon likes the way this administration is going.

"The president feels somewhat vindicated because there was something there." :wenger:

Around 50% of swedish MP's have no, or less than 3 years worth of University credits. I dare say Sweden is still a better run country.

I think it's good to have a strong mix of people in any country; from those with scientific university backgrounds, to those with more humanities type backgrounds, and people without any university education behind them whatsoever who are still politically aware and astute. Too often countries can often end up with a collection of people from the one area...if someone who has political knowledge and is qualified but doesn't have a degree, then fair play. Plenty of people enter politics a good 15-20 years or more after they leave school and by that time will have a lot of life experience and will perhaps have advanced highly professionally.

Never thought of it. These guys have their own shite to hide.

I'm pretty sure it was Assange's people who accidentally admitted on Reddit how they had info on the RNC, but didn't find it "interesting" enough to release. The idea what was interesting should be left up to us didn't cross their minds, presumably.

It wouldn't shock me at all though. For all the talk of the Republicans secretly dissenting against Trump (or openly) and eventually getting rid of him, they've been very, very tolerant of the Russia connections thus far for a party who've spent so much time being ardently against the Russians. Too tolerant.

So can someone explain what's ended up making this bill so bad? All I've been able to glean from this and the rest of the thread is Trump made big promises on protecting medicare and medicaid and expanding it to universal healthcare, they've ended up doing the opposite of that to cover the significant tax cuts, and very few people are happy about it. Aside from some minor benefits for the most wealthy people, what else was it supposed to offer to mitigate that? I find it hard to believe that so many people could end up producing something so bad, both for the republicans and the people.

So can someone explain what's ended up making this bill so bad? All I've been able to glean from this and the rest of the thread is Trump made big promises on protecting medicare and medicaid and expanding it to universal healthcare, they've ended up doing the opposite of that to cover the significant tax cuts, and very few people are happy about it. Aside from some minor benefits for the most wealthy people, what else was it supposed to offer to mitigate that? I find it hard to believe that so many people could end up producing something so bad, both for the republicans and the people.

Trump would've never been able to go for universal healthcare because the Republicans are fervently against it. From what I gather Republicans don't think it goes far enough in regards to cutting down what Obamacare was. Some of them, at least. Others will also be worried about a backlash at the midterms.

Interesting comment. Somewhat related, I read yesterday somewhere that only about 25% of current GOP in D.C. are used to be in power with a Republican president.

They had 7 fecking years to come up with something that would improve Obamacare.
Of course they had, but it was pretty clear that all their bold claims were just talk, right? What I find interesting is that the comment shows a level of self-reflection I wouldn't have expected from a Republican, let alone share it with a journo.

They had 7 fecking years to come up with something that would improve Obamacare.

Now they're starting to pay the price for blindly opposing something without ever actually offering an alternative. Obama had it right, too...said he'd be willing to switch to an alternative healthcare plan if the opposition could come up with a more viable one. Of course...they never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.