The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree with the unacceptability but it seems that the narrative being advanced is 'Trump's so stupid, he gets briefings for dummies hahaha', when the reality is likely more akin to my post. Accurate balanced reporting hardly gets you retweets, though.

If anybody bothers to read the article in question, they'll find it's more balanced than a lot of crap you can read about Trump. The Tweet didn't do it much justice.

If anybody bothers to read the article in question, they'll find it's more balanced than a lot of crap you can read about Trump. The Tweet didn't do it much justice.

Sure but how many Twitter users actually do that? It's all about getting retweets so shock value, bent truth, emotive headlines etc win the day. It's a very sad time for balanced, accurate reporting and truth itself.

Meh. Nothing but spin that fits a desired narrative. He's coming in from the world of business where any issue he needs to confront is provided as an executive summary, typically condensed into a one page brief (cuz execs is been busy, la).

Unfortunately, he's probably so accustomed to this that at the age of 70 he's not about to change. The best we can hope for is that some minor setback upsets him to the degree that he realizes he needs to go deeper.

I don't disagree with the unacceptability but it seems that the narrative being advanced is 'Trump's so stupid, he gets briefings for dummies hahaha', when the reality is likely more akin to my post. Accurate balanced reporting hardly gets you retweets, though.

I don't agree because unfortunately, whenever 45 tweets or says something in a presser, he demonstrates that the catchy headlines and spins are real, not exaggerated. He has zero idea what he's talking about and hardly able to think something through, let alone weighing pros and cons. Nothing suggests that he actually graps the responsibilties his job entail, including having intelligence briefings that are as long as the situation requires them to be, and include different positions and judgements as necessary, and not as brief as possible. Being president of a country is entirely different than being a company's boss.

Since, say 2014? I don't think so. San Bernardino and Orlando come to mind but little else. Place that against Charlie Hedbo, Nice, Bataclan, Berlin. Europe seems that little bit more dangerous.
You're more likely to die in the US from gun shooting than from a terrorist attack in Europe.

Again and Again and Again
The same racist rhetoric used against Syrians was also used to shut the door to Jewish refugees escaping the Holocaust.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/02/refugees-germany-holocaust-syria-war-xenophobia/

Within which I found 2 nice links I didn't know:
Yes, Steve Bannon Asked Why a School Had So Many Hanukkah Books
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...ked-why-a-school-had-many-hanukkah-books.html

Report: White House Blocked Holocaust Statement That Explicitly Mentioned Jews
State Department drafted statement specifically naming Jewish victims to mark Holocaust Remembrance Day, but Trump's White House replaced it with the now controversial statement omitting Jews entirely.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/us-news/1.769442

Sure but how many Twitter users actually do that? It's all about getting retweets so shock value, bent truth, emotive headlines etc win the day. It's a very sad time for balanced, accurate reporting and truth itself.

As a general point, who could possibly disagree. In this instance, however, it seems that what is closer to accurate, balanced reporting was taken and spun to be made to sound like something it's not.

As a general point, who could possibly disagree. In this instance, however, it seems that what is closer to accurate, balanced reporting was taken and spun to be made to sound like something it's not.

I think I agree. The article was decent enough (although still neglected to opine on why a former CEO would get one page briefings) and is why I posted about the tweet.

I'd visit the US before Europe strictly due to the terror threat that exists. At this point, Europe is one of the last destinations I'd chose (outside of Yemen, Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Mali, CAR, Libya, NK, etc)

That said, the strong US dollar means that I won't be going any time soon.

I'm sure that comes across as a mad statement to all of the europeans in this thread :D Leaving aside the mindblowing and widespread level of gun violence inside the US which is non-existent in Europe, it's clear from Trump's election that foreigners are likely to be unwelcome in large areas of the US.

Its been going on a lot with the false and misleading reports. When they get called out on it, they issue a half hearted retraction and leave the original tweet up and dont bother deleting it.

This time, its a CNN commentator trying to cast doubt on whether Trump's new labour attended Harvard :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm sure that comes across as a mad statement to all of the europeans in this thread :D Leaving aside the mindblowing and widespread level of gun violence inside the US which is non-existent in Europe, it's clear from Trump's election that foreigners are likely to be unwelcome in large areas of the US.

You can generally leave the gun violence aside because those murder victims tend to have some form of relationship with the killer. There are well publicized exceptions, of course, but these make up a tiny percentage of gun related deaths.

Europe's a nice place. I've been there and would like to go back someday but at the moment I'd rather visit somewhere that isn't an easy target for terrorists (due to geography more than anything).

Those two things sound completely incompatible.
Remember last summer? :D

Donald Trump’s call on Russia to hack Hillary Clinton’s emails Wednesday resulted in widespread criticism. But his comments on Crimea, coupled with ones he made last week on NATO, are likely to have greater significance if he is elected president in November.

The question came from Mareike Aden, a German reporter, who asked him whether a President Trump would recognize Crimea as Russian and lift sanctions on Moscow imposed after its 2014 annexation of the Ukrainian territory. The candidate’s reply: “Yes. We would be looking at that.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/07/trump-crimea/493280/

You can generally leave the gun violence aside because those murder victims tend to have some form of relationship with the killer. There are well publicized exceptions, of course, but these make up a tiny percentage of gun related deaths.

Europe's a nice place. I've been there and would like to go back someday but at the moment I'd rather visit somewhere that isn't an easy target for terrorists (due to geography more than anything).
The top part applies to European terrorism too, it's not because terrorist are actively moving to Europe, it's Europeans becoming radicalised and committing the attacks. You're also still more likely to die in a car accident than be a victim of terrorism, so safety is a silly reason to avoid Europe. You'd be better off rationalising it as too expensive.

The top part applies to European terrorism too, it's not because terrorist are actively moving to Europe, it's Europeans becoming radicalised and committing the attacks. You're also still more likely to die in a car accident than be a victim of terrorism, so safety is a silly reason to avoid Europe. You'd be better off rationalising it as too expensive.

Or in Frances case, full of French people.

My bro now losing his job as a knock-on effect of obamacare going. Hospitals not willing to spend on new build whilst so much uncertainty so no work coming in

This time, its a CNN commentator trying to cast doubt on whether Trump's new labour attended Harvard :rolleyes:

Tried some very quick google searches and can't find what year he was supposed to have graduated from Harvard Law. If he got this far without anyone noticing he had not actually attended Harvard Law (he also had another degree from Harvard in either Business or Economics), then there will be a lot of people who hired him in the past who will look pretty foolish.

EDIT

https://today.law.harvard.edu/hls-grad-becomes-u-s-attorney-in-florida/

This would seem to suggest that Harvard.edu believes he graduated from there.

Wonder if he'll let Jim Acosta from CNN have question as he's itching for a fight.

And now he's going to take a few questions from pre-selected right wing outlets to avoid any Russia/Flynn questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.