The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cor, I am surprised at that - interesting article though as it goes on to say that the vast majority of immigration violations are from Latin America etc. so it seems a little confusing - or does that just mean prosecutions?
It actually says
The vast majority of immigration violations are committed by immigrants from developing countries in Latin America, Asia and Africa.
Which as those 3 continents make up 6.2 billion of the worlds 7.4 billion people, maybe that shouldn't be surprising?

Breakdown from the graphic

Europe - 123,729
South America - 93,073
Canada - 93,035
Asia - 56,574
Mexico 42,114
Caribbean - 22,137
Central America - 17,069
Africa - 15,597
Middle East - 13,766
Oveania - 5,587

If there's any truth to the stories that some border guards made people sign forms that surrendered their green cards, then good lord.

This is exactly how Trumpy America started.

its the obvious thing to do but we know America doesnt do the obvious thing.

I agree completely, however in the USA's defence here, it's not just them that have got "the war on drugs" so badly wrong. At least they are showing they are learning in certain states too.

And here we go again........

I don't know what's worse, the fact he insults a Senator again, or the fact he basically patronises everyone by saying "he studies the world" and obviously alluding to "only he knows the answers" yet again his narcissism is disgusting.

I'm struggling to separate parody from reality now. Is this a joke?

This is difficulty I am having watching this all from 6,000 km away. I'm not even sure what's serious anymore because it all feels so unreal. In some capacity it feels that electing Trump to be the president of the US is exactly what is wrong about democracy.

He ran on that regulations message. Kill 2 for each new 1. I'm guessing it will be the same approach for the federal workforce.

In all honesty there are way too many regulations but many are good.

Shit, sorry man, erm, I meant The Falkland Islands, they were smuggling the drugs inside sheep. :nervous:

Brazilians are the classic visa overstay illegals. So many did it in the early 2000s that around 2006 Brazil was suspended from the green card lottery. They're exactly the counter-argument to the wall (i.e. Mexicans are not really your current challenge).

I agree about that list and your remark that 'fascist' is often used as a vague insulting label. What I don't agree with is that Trump (and the social tendencies he builds upon) can be conclusively described as 'not fascist at all' at this point of time.

There can be fascistic tendencies in a predominantly non-fascistic environment. Every historical variant of fascism started out like that. Under special circumstances this may develop into a full-blown version (rather unlikely in the US) or simply stay semi-fascist in an inconsequential, but nevertheless destructive way.

When expecting any neo-fascism to be close to a carbon-copy of its historical predecessors, fascism is inevitably a thing of the past. The specific forms of those movements and societies were inextricably linked to their historical era and will never happen like that again. (These different variants of fascism were also quite diverse among themselves to begin with.)

But when trying to grasp fascism in broader terms – the catastrophic (self-)destruction of liberal capitalism from within through an authoritarian capitalism-based movement –, the verdict is not that clear. Any potential recurrence of that development will necessarily take on forms we haven't seen before.

So to me the crucial question here is what the social essence of historical fascism was, and if that may appear again in a different makeup. From what we have seen up until now, I think asking that question in connection with Trump and the resentments he feeds on is valid and necessary. Whatever the answer may turn out to be.

I don’t think that fascism is a particularly useful label outside historical discourse of a certain era. Certain labels (e.g. genocide, terrorism, neoliberal) are used in a way that two people rarely mean the same thing when talking to each other. These labels try to summarize complicated topics, that are difficult to describe with a single word. Even the three traditional fascist states – Italy/Mussolini, Germany/Hitler and Japan/Kodo-ha – are all quite different. It is not a surprise that there are various different and contradicting definitions of what (neo) fascism actually means. Even academics struggle to agree.
But let’s ignore these issue for a second and look at some core aspects of fascism and try to find out how these match with the USA. I am contradicting myself in a way, by defining “core-aspects”, when I just said, that there is no agreement. I know that and focus on things that are (or at least should be) fairly uncontroversial.

1) Mass-mobilization: It is one of the most important aspects of any fascist movement. Just looking at Trump’s inauguration should show us that he is not able to attract huge masses. He is also not even attempting to create any vanguard/grass-root movement, which every fascist movement has. In the USA all the people who are (semi) successful at creating some kind of mass mobilization (e.g. Tea-Party; progressives; Occupy-Wallstreet) are clearly not fascist for different reason.
Twitter rants and online trolls don’t count as “mass mobilization”. Even if you’d accept the alt-right as such a movement, their actual number (and not their obnoxious online presence) is tiny. It is hard to quantify this but the hole USA has probably less than 100.000 people who could be considered active members of the far-right (KKK; white supremacist; “ethnic nationalists”; alt-right, like this Spencer guy; neo-masculines et.al). They fail terribly to appeal to the mainstream.

2) Anti-materialism: Trump is the ultimate materialist.

3) Scope of the state and role in the economy: While Trump promises to increase protection and social welfare, he also promises to cut taxes and regulations. The last two things are pretty much the opposite of what any fascist would do.

4) Ideology: Trump contradicted himself during the campaign almost every two minutes. He is hardly able to articulate any coherent thought. He seems to settle with nationalism (and a bit of racism), but there is hardly any coherent ideology that exist beyond that.

The USA doesn’t have any history with fascism, because it’s founding principles are opposing this ideology. Freedom, democracy, limited government, immigration and the constitution are all still widely shared and accepted. Trump is a nationalist, a populist and to some extend a racist. Maybe an authoritarian. Yet not a fascist. Americans have absolutely no appetite for fascism.

If you want to worry about fascism, you should look to Europe. There are some signs that some kind of neo-fascist ideology might be able to gain some traction. Considering that Europe has much bigger economic, cultural and political problems (compared to the USA), this might actually become a thing, when politicians continue to fail so badly to address these things.

Tl.dr.: Trump is not Hitler.

Ps: I wrote this on my mobile with german auto-correct, so excuse my spelling.

It's a fool's game expecting Republicans to stand up to him at this point, but I really don't think they'd turn down the opportunity to impeach when viable.

If there's any truth to the stories that some border guards made people sign forms that surrendered their green cards, then good lord.

Would not surprise if me that's true.

Some border protection officers were refusing to let lawyers/politicians meet their clients and were not complying with the court order.

@PedroMendez On "fascism" and economic policy: although there is nothing concrete as of yet, you didn't get a sense of 1930s populists when he had auto CEOs in one day and then union leaders the next? Again, not relevant in the absence of policy, but there was always the desire in the 30s populists to be the arbiter of big business v organized labor. Obviously the economy couldn't be more different today, and by having the auto CEOs in and the union leaders nowadays you probably had less than 5% of the economy represented, but I thought it was a curious item to start on.

Some border protection officers were refusing to let lawyers meet their clients and congressman and were not complying with the court order.

Yeah, but don't forget it was the Senator's tears and the protestors who caused all the trouble. Everything else was working like a charm. (in Trump's alternative facts world)

Hopefully the judges won't appreciate their orders being ignored, the lawyers don't like their clients rights being trampled on and ignored and also the Senator's take umbrage at being called out and they all decide to take this further and ensure justice prevails.

A crazy tax dodging reality tv star amarosa sitting behind the president who is a crazy tax dodging reality tv star. feck you USA, I hope the global community gets so disgusted that they boycott and sanction the shit out of US business.
We are watching a 21st century nazi party take control here in the US and I don't think the courts can contain them. I am an immigrant to this country with a green card through marriage. Although I'm white, with my progressive left leaning view points that I have gladly defended on numerous message boards, comment sections and online forums it is only a matter of time before I am on a trump administrations list. If I leave this country over this presidents reign I fear I will not get back. Time to make arrangements I think.

Is that a serous post? If so, why did you even bother to immigrate to the US if you feel that way towards the US? Genuine question.

Is that a serous post? If so, why did you even bother to immigrate to the US if you feel that way towards the US? Genuine question.
Maybe because he didn't expect it to become ruled by an administration as appalling as this one...

It's a fool's game expecting Republicans to stand up to him at this point, but I really don't think they'd turn down the opportunity to impeach when viable.

Its only 10 days in but there are already grumblings about this and Obamacare. Wait for more polls to come out. If his numbers dip into the 20s then that will embolden a new wave of descent by everyone on the GOP side.

I think that's where we are at. Individually they are afraid to stand up so it's going to take something serious (I have no idea what the definition of that is any more) enough for them to say "right, we've got him. Follow through on this and we don't need to worry about our own necks."

Just read something that suprised me. Flynn is a lifelong democrat.

I read that a while back. Was good for a 'haha', but clearly not relevant to him anymore. Tbf, a lot of the guys who were heavily involved in Iraq and Afghanistan seemingly became of the mind that the struggle vs. AQ/ISIS should be priority #1 for the US, and everything else is secondary.

That's what I told myself yesterday, they are unnecessarily burning bridges and they are going to pay for that.

1) Mass-mobilization: It is one of the most important aspects of any fascist movement. Just looking at Trump’s inauguration should show us that he is not able to attract huge masses. He is also not even attempting to create any vanguard/grass-root movement, which every fascist movement has. In the USA all the people who are (semi) successful at creating some kind of mass mobilization (e.g. Tea-Party; progressives; Occupy-Wallstreet) are clearly not fascist for different reason.
Twitter rants and online trolls don’t count as “mass mobilization”. Even if you’d accept the alt-right as such a movement, their actual number (and not their obnoxious online presence) is tiny. It is hard to quantify this but the hole USA has probably less than 100.000 people who could be considered active members of the far-right (KKK; white supremacist; “ethnic nationalists”; alt-right, like this Spencer guy; neo-masculines et.al). They fail terribly to appeal to the mainstream.

The Nazis weren't mobilizing countless millions based on the extreme parts of their agenda either. They were elected on an authoritarian platform and used that power to destroy opposition and solidify their position. Most of the really extreme stuff that was done was excused by many people as the acts of lower level Nazis supposedly acting outside the wishes of Hitler. Complete nonsense of course, but it provided a great level of deniability for the guy on top.

2) Anti-materialism: Trump is the ultimate materialist.

The Nazi top brass were extremely materialistic. The only way you can call fascists anti-materialistic is that in that ideology the needs of the country come above all, which is usually used as an excuse to take from the people. It's not a wild stretch of the imagination to equate that to the removal of financial benefits such as subsidized healthcare or welfare in the name of 'making America great again'.

3) Scope of the state and role in the economy: While Trump promises to increase protection and social welfare, he also promises to cut taxes and regulations. The last two things are pretty much the opposite of what any fascist would do.

The top personal income tax rate in Germany in 1941 was only 13.7%. They also reduced a number of regulations, including notably relaxing the rules on gun ownership.

4) Ideology: Trump contradicted himself during the campaign almost every two minutes. He is hardly able to articulate any coherent thought. He seems to settle with nationalism (and a bit of racism), but there is hardly any coherent ideology that exist beyond that.

Try reading Mein Kampf sometime, it makes about as much sense as a Trump speech.

The USA doesn’t have any history with fascism, because it’s founding principles are opposing this ideology. Freedom, democracy, limited government, immigration and the constitution are all still widely shared and accepted. Trump is a nationalist, a populist and to some extend a racist. Maybe an authoritarian. Yet not a fascist. Americans have absolutely no appetite for fascism.

There have been many intellectuals over the years that have written quite compellingly that America could be the perfect place for a fascist regime to rise. It's hugely militaristic, has a highly propagandized press, a stunningly powerful military and intelligence agencies, extremely strong nationalism and a wildly religious majority.

As Sinclair Lewis is supposed to have said "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross".

If you want to worry about fascism, you should look to Europe. There are some signs that some kind of neo-fascist ideology might be able to gain some traction. Considering that Europe has much bigger economic, cultural and political problems (compared to the USA), this might actually become a thing, when politicians continue to fail so badly to address these things.

It's funny you know, we constantly hear about how Europe's problems are supposedly so much bigger than everyone elses, yet America is in debt to the tune of 19 TRILLION dollars, has one of the most ideologically divided political systems on the planet and just elected a moron who has already disregarded the judicial system and basically all norms of political and diplomatic behaviour. I think Europe are doing just fine in comparison.

Uber CEO: Fcuk this shit...why am I getting all the hate...
C3bW1UiUYAAWOdj.jpg

Maybe because he didn't expect it to become ruled by an administration as appalling as this one...

Because the US is supposed to be a shining city on a hill. Not a scary shithole.

Edit: Beaten to it... Libcafe is fast

Libcafe :lol:

Anyways, Trump was elected and people need to respect that. Obviously a lot of people don't agree with him but what about the other 60 millions that do? Wishing him to fail and hoping for bans and sanctions :wenger:, while being a US citizen/resident is shooting yourself in the foot.

Anyways, Trump was elected and people need to respect that. Obviously a lot of people don't agree with him but what about the other 60 millions that do? Wishing him to fail and hoping for bans and sanctions :wenger:, while being a US citizen/resident is shooting yourself in the foot.

You mean like all the Republicans did with Obama? Was it the day after the inauguration when they had their little get together in congress and decided their number one priority was to make Obama a one term president? Or did they wait a week? I forget..

Meanwhile in the Commons (not verbatim):

An elderly MP reminds that the UK successfully fought two fascists (Mussolini and Hitler) and shouldn't walk now hand in hand with one (Trump).
Johnson's response: We condemn Trump's muslim ban policy but will work with our American friends to get the bets possible deal for the UK.

Anyways, Trump was elected and people need to respect that

Why? Especially when the man himself doesn't even respect the integrity and results of the election. Like anyone else, he has to earn respect and nothing he has done deserves it. His list of failings and crimes prove he's unfit, legally elected or not, and on top of all that, he doesn't even respect his fellow Republicans, let alone opposition Democrats, so I think asking for people to respect him is probably asking too much.

Libcafe :lol:

Why should anyone who didn't vote for Trump let this narcissist damage the country? It's a sign of a healthy democracy that people protest and argue against him. Otherwise you can move to Russia or North Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.