The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevertheless he didn’t embarrass himself, or the UK or the US which is pretty good going for a full 2 days.

Be a long while before that happens again.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say he didnt do that, I mean I would if you didnt count him insulting the mayor of London before touching down, claiming the US is good on climate change to Prince Charles and then making stupid remarks to Bette Midler of all people :wenger:

Well that D-Day anniversary ceremony was amazing!

Got to congratulate Trump for his attitude throughout this visit but particularly today. First time he’s looked like a real statesman. Most of us were concerned that he would be embarrassing, but he hasn’t been at all. Never thought I’d say this and I do hope I haven’t spoken too soon.

What a utter tool.

Trump just got publicly humiliated after the Irish Prime Minister schooled him on live TV

President Trump has finally finished inflicting his unbearable presence on the United Kingdom and has now moved onto Ireland. Today, he met with Leo Varadkar the Taoiseach — or Prime Minister — of Ireland and in a turn of events that should surprise absolutely no one botched it in stunning fashion.

While speaking to the press and seated beside Varadkar, Trump brought up Brexit, the looming withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. The broad and undeniable consensus is that Brexit will inflict massive economic damage on the UK, leading to a jump in poverty and unemployment while damaging trade. Trump, who is wrong about just about everything, is a big supporter of Brexit and the odious rightwing demagogues who have managed to sell it to the British people.

Brexit also has massive implications for Ireland, which is split between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, the area of Ireland that makes up part of the United Kingdom. Currently, both regions are part of the European Union, but if the UK withdraws it would mean the Republic of Ireland would be in the EU and Northern Ireland would not. Such a change could greatly complicate the border between the two, restricting the flow of not only trade but also people.

Historically, the Northern Ireland border has been a region rife with armed conflict, with some Irish believing that all of Ireland should be one country and others adamantly believing that Northern Ireland should remain part of the United Kingdom. Already there are signs that Brexit could reignite violence in the region, marking a return to the period known as The Troubles, during which there were bombings, gunfights, and all manner of tragedies. It was one of the darkest periods in Irish history and many alive today still bear the scars – both physical and psychological — from that time.

With all that in mind, it’s utterly unthinkable that an American president would bring up Brexit in a favorable light while talking to the Irish Prime Minister. It’s an incredibly nuanced issue and one that has much of Ireland greatly concerned. Trump’s glib praise of Brexit was made even worse when he compared the situation in Northern Ireland to the U.S.-Mexican border and alluded to the Irish building a wall like the one he insists we need in America.

As Trump rambled, Varadkar looked on in disbelief before jumping in to say that Ireland wants to avoid a border wall. Struggling to conceal his ignorance, Trump reversed course and said that he thinks that Ireland should actually avoid a wall because “the way it works right now is good.”

Of course, the way things work right now cannot stay the same under Brexit. Trump’s logic is completely contradictory. The president then proceeded to handwave the border concerns away saying it would “work out well” without mentioning how or why he thinks that. All in all, it was a thoroughly humiliating performance by the American president and further proof that Trump should have no hand in international affairs.

Historically, the Northern Ireland border has been a region rife with armed conflict, with some Irish believing that all of Ireland should be one country and others adamantly believing that Northern Ireland should remain part of the United Kingdom. Already there are signs that Brexit could reignite violence in the region, marking a return to the period known as The Troubles, during which there were bombings, gunfights, and all manner of tragedies. It was one of the darkest periods in Irish history and many alive today still bear the scars – both physical and psychological — from that time.

With all that in mind, it’s utterly unthinkable that an American president would bring up Brexit in a favorable light while talking to the Irish Prime Minister. It’s an incredibly nuanced issue and one that has much of Ireland greatly concerned. Trump’s glib praise of Brexit was made even worse when he compared the situation in Northern Ireland to the U.S.-Mexican border and alluded to the Irish building a wall like the one he insists we need in America.

As Trump rambled, Varadkar looked on in disbelief before jumping in to say that Ireland wants to avoid a border wall. Struggling to conceal his ignorance, Trump reversed course and said that he thinks that Ireland should actually avoid a wall because “the way it works right now is good.”

Of course, the way things work right now cannot stay the same under Brexit. Trump’s logic is completely contradictory. The president then proceeded to handwave the border concerns away saying it would “work out well” without mentioning how or why he thinks that. All in all, it was a thoroughly humiliating performance by the American president and further proof that Trump should have no hand in international affairs.

https://washingtonpress.com/2019/06...irish-prime-minister-schooled-him-on-live-tv/

Why should we congratulate a guy for not embarrassing greatly the whole nation?
Think of the parent who every time they take their kid to the supermarket he’s a nightmare, runs up and down the aisles screaming and shouting and pulls things of shelves and is generally embarrassing and badly behaved.....so much so that they absolutely dread going there. Then one day they go and he’s the epitome of good behaviour and their relief is almost overwhelming so they praise his good behaviour. Same thing...it’s a “can’t quite believe it” moment that you are so grateful for because you really feel that you couldn’t have taken much more.

Really!

Tough if you don’t like what I said but I’m very grateful for the lack of faux pas on his visit. I was expecting it to be so much worse. And unlike most I can give credit to people I don’t care for.

Guess it shows how far standards have fallen with Trump that you can say that he managed to avoid a faux pas on that trip

Exactly. But then again, this was a diplomatic mission rather than a political one. If only he grabbed the Queen by her aging flappy minge...

Owing to anonymity its quite sad methinks that the internet extracts the worst of us as often as it highlights the best of us.

Trump is speaking now in France at the D-day remembrance service
sub-buzz-7627-1474523666-1.jpg

It reads like Trumpo would've given the information if he hadn't been suffering from amnesia. :D

1fa1672ba45755db8fdaa714f2ad84c5.gif

"And that little boy grew up to be...Vladimir Putin."

Walked by this in Dublin just now:

2hWHJVv.jpg

Think of the parent who every time they take their kid to the supermarket he’s a nightmare, runs up and down the aisles screaming and shouting and pulls things of shelves and is generally embarrassing and badly behaved.....so much so that they absolutely dread going there. Then one day they go and he’s the epitome of good behaviour and their relief is almost overwhelming so they praise his good behaviour. Same thing...it’s a “can’t quite believe it” moment that you are so grateful for because you really feel that you couldn’t have taken much more.
So in other words, we’re just gonna judge the US Presidency on the standards of raising a toddler or training a dog.

Not the presidency, just Trump.
But he’s the US president now and that’s how he’s being judged. In no universe does anyone in that role deserve applause for not fecking up. That’s like me praising you for successfully wiping your ass.

That's a monstrosity held by a fecking gormless eejit, is what it is.

Fake news, thats the best pint of Guinness ever pulled, the BEST pint. In fact thats how its supposed to be pulled, only the biggest LOSERS pull it any other way.

Wonder if this has anything to do with Judge Sullivan just ordering the release of the voice recording between Flynn’s lawyer and a lawyer at the WH.

EDIT:That was a tweet about Giuliani saying that he was leaving but apparently he’s now announced that he’s staying a while longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.