The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
A retired Alabama police officer said she was told to keep an eye on Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore back in the 1980s because he was known to harass teenage cheerleaders at local school ballgames.

Ex-Gadsden cop Faye Gray told MSNBC host Andrea Mitchell that rumors of Moore’s liking young girls were heard on a daily basis and she was informed that he had been banned from Gadsden Mall because he allegedly targeted young female employees.

“We were also told to watch him at the ballgames and make sure that he didn’t hang around the cheerleaders,” Faye said.

“The rumor was that Roy Moore likes young girls,” she added. “It was not only in our department but at the courthouse, too.”

AS SOON AS Richard Cordray, the current director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, officially resigns — which could happen as soon as this week — we are told President Donald Trump will choose Mick Mulvaney, the current director of the Office of Management and Budget, to run the CFPB on a temporary basis.

It would be a GOP dream come true. Mulvaney, who once called CFPB a “sad, sick joke,” would then be able to carry out the long-desired conservative wish to dismantle the agency that safeguards consumers from the deceptions of banks and credit card companies.

Practically every media outlet has carried this report about Mulvaney to CFPB. There’s only one problem: it’s not Trump’s pick to make.

That fact, and expected resistance to that fact inside the White House, could create a titanic legal battle, and a scenario with competing interim directors of the agency, which has become a political football ever since Congress created it in 2010. “This will be like the situation where you had two popes,” said Jeff Hauser, executive director of the Revolving Door Project at the Center for Economic and Policy Research.

Adam Levitin, Georgetown Law professor and former CFPB adviser, was the first to point this out. The statute that created the CFPB is pretty clear: In the event of the absence of a director for the agency, the deputy director serves that role. The director appoints the deputy director; it doesn’t require Senate confirmation.

This would mean David Silberman, acting deputy director of CFPB, would get the reins when Cordray leaves office. Silberman is a former AFL-CIO deputy general counsel and a law clerk to Justice Thurgood Marshall who has worked at the CFPB since 2011.

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/21/cfpb-director-richard-cordray-mick-mulvaney-trump/

Consensual being the key word, I can live with that, they can't though. Very strange to think what the reaction would be if Roy Moore was a Democrat from Connecticut.

They would be spitting flames and demanding his head on a spike. Hell, Fox News lost their shit when Obama wore a tan suit, just imagine how they would react to a democrat being a child molester. The fact that they still bring up Clinton in some faux moral outrage says it all

I shouldn't be but with this I am. A fecking child molester over what seems to be a middle of the road southerner. I came to this country under the dumb Bush and felt a bit dirty being here but after my first night on the piss I knew I would grow to love this country. I was so proud to be here when Obama was elected and got swept up in some hope and change, got hitched and had kids. I'm now sitting here not knowing what to think watching a fat ugly slob of a man covered in foundation and hairspray basically giving a pedophile a pass so he can raise my taxes and kick my wife and kids in the gutter if we are unlucky enough to have a serious illness. I'm not leaving though. I'm going to fight these mother feckers till the bitter end.

Well said and I'm in the same boat as you. Obama made me believe.

Unless you are an Iraqi or Afghan, you'd think Dubya was atleast a goofy yet decent dude. This clown is incomparable.

Yeah Trump does cast Bush in a whole new light. I miss his cheeky smile when he knew he had said something moronic, which seemed to say, "oh shit, I did it again didnt I?" He was a dumbass but he didnt pretend to be a genius at least.

Those tweets about LaVar could easily be mistaken for a transcript of a TV wrestler making faux threats to his rival; that's how embarrassing & pathetic this 'president' is.

Yeah Trump does cast Bush in a whole new light. I miss his cheeky smile when he knew he had said something moronic, which seemed to say, "oh shit, I did it again didnt I?" He was a dumbass but he didnt pretend to be a genius at least.

Bush's whole primary campaign for his first election was kind of similar to Trump's, except where Trump was bombastic and egotistic about himself, Bush modeled himself as your every day average Joe humble-man who did not use fancy words.

Bush's whole primary campaign for his first election was kind of similar to Trump's, except where Trump was bombastic and egotistic about himself, Bush modeled himself as your every day average Joe humble-man who did not use fancy words.
I am not American and didnt follow even British politics, let alone US politics, anywhere near as closely back then as I do now, so I cant really say. But while Bush was alarming (even to the casual observer I was at the time) because of his lack of attention to detail, and the whole neo-con thing, he didnt come across as proudly bigoted as Trump, did he? I mean the whole "grab them by the pussy" thing, the incendiary language about immigrants, openly advocating bombing the families of terrorists as a proxy for dealing with the terrorists themselves - I dont think Bush ever said anything comparable? Back then saying something like "iraq, Iran and North Korea form an axis of evil" was hugely controversial. If Trump said that it would be about the least controversial thing he said that day.

Im sure there are comparisons to be made between them. And like I said I may also be remembering Bush with rose-tinted glasses to some extent. It was his Presidency that really made me sit up and take notice of US politics (as well as the fact I was a young adult at that point and therefore more likely to start paying attention anyway). But while it seemed horrific then, and for sure it set a lot of shit in motion that we are still dealing with today, it all seems relatively innocent compared.

I am not American and didnt follow even British politics, let alone US politics, anywhere near as closely back then as I do now, so I cant really say. But while Bush was alarming (even to the casual observer I was at the time) because of his lack of attention to detail, and the whole neo-con thing, he didnt come across as proudly bigoted as Trump, did he? I mean the whole "grab them by the pussy" thing, the incendiary language about immigrants, openly advocating bombing the families of terrorists as a proxy for dealing with the terrorists themselves - I dont think Bush ever said anything comparable? Back then saying something like "iraq, Iran and North Korea form an axis of evil" was hugely controversial. If Trump said that it would be about the least controversial thing he said that day.

Im sure there are comparisons to be made between them. And like I said I may also be remembering Bush with rose-tinted glasses to some extent. It was his Presidency that really made me sit up and take notice of US politics (as well as the fact I was a young adult at that point and therefore more likely to start paying attention anyway). But while it seemed horrific then, and for sure it set a lot of shit in motion that we are still dealing with today, it all seems relatively innocent compared.

Yeah he was nowhere like the egotist Trump is but he was the person who initially brought things like "the revolt against the elites" and "telling it like it is" to a political campaign. In fact may people thought he was acting dumber than he was to endear himself to the common man.

Definitely not. There are speeches post 9/11 where Bush defends Islam and argues that people shouldn't tarnish all Muslims under the same brush. Trump doing the same now would be unimaginable.

Of course, there's an argument that someone being more official and statesmanlike in public doesn't mean if you're adversely affected by their regime, but yeah, Bush - while being a staunch Republican - was nowhere near as extreme as Trump for the most part, at least in his rhetoric.

Trump is the best thing that could've happened to Bush Jr. He probably never thought he'd be so shortly succeeded by someone more idiotic than him and far more hated, to the extent that it actually makes people pine for the days he was in charge again. He's revelling in it now.

Trump is the best thing that could've happened to Bush Jr. He probably never thought he'd be so shortly succeeded by someone more idiotic than him and far more hated, to the extent that it actually makes people pine for the days he was in charge again. He's revelling in it now.

Great for Obama too. His reign will probably be looked back on even more fondly considering his Presidency will be sandwiched between two incompetent feck ups.

Great for Obama too. His reign will probably be looked back on even more fondly considering his Presidency will be sandwiched between two incompetent feck ups.
on a personal level, maybe, but somehow I think he'll be more annoyed at all the good work he did being undone by this twat. Next up, net neutrality.

on a personal level, maybe, but somehow I think he'll be more annoyed at all the good work he did being undone by this twat. Next up, net neutrality.

There's no legislative accomplishments to anything Trump is doing. All it takes is another President to undo all of Trumps bullshit. The real problem is that they're weakening the public sector so whoever comes afterwards would have a hard time suing or holding businesses accountable in the future.

It really slapped me in the face when Bush, Clinton and Obama were all on stage together back in September, and Bush was laughing and making jokes with Obama. I caught myself doing exactly what you said, pining for the days when he was in charge. For a second I thought, actually he was a good guy wasnt he. I disagreed with him about pretty much everything politically, but he at least meant well. I thought about him being a bit of a lovable idiot, unfortunately surrounded by some admittedly bad people like Cheney and Rummy, but that he himself had actually been a man of integrity.

That all flashed through my head in an instant. But then I caught and corrected myself. Just because Trump is worse, doesnt mean Bush wasnt bad. And even if there is an element of truth in the "idiot that allowed himself to be influenced by bad people" theory, he still has to carry the blame. He was the President and even if Cheney was the evil one, Bush still has to take responsibility for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.