The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing to do with its politics. People are leaving due to other (currently, better) forms of sports coverage and the inept leadership at ESPN. For example, the subscriber fees are going up at ESPN.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/espn-subscribers-2017-3?r=US&IR=T
Yeah, ESPN's business model did not bank on people cutting the cord with cable and they overpaid for programming rights that they will be locked into for a while. They're in a heap of trouble and have had to let go of a heap of talent.

DJtn0_dWkAAp3rk.jpg:large
That's not far from the reality but John Oliver said he actually didn't say that

Why? Maybe thats what we need is people who have a wider audience keeping the white supremacists in check by calling them what they actually are.
For the sake of consistency, she should be fired. Hell, they pulled a guy from commentating a college football game because his only crime was his name. However, does it bother me that she wasn't fired? Not at all.

As I shared in that tweet, ESPN let Curt Schilling stay on the air when he made a couple clearly prejudiced statements. So there was precedent for her staying.

The guys a cretin, who are these tweets for? In one hand his preaching to the choir, on the other hand he looks like a moron.

Why? Maybe thats what we need is people who have a wider audience keeping the white supremacists in check by calling them what they actually are.

She should be fired, which I suspect will happen at some point since ESPN already tried to remove her but changed their minds when her co-host refused to go on without her. The shitstorm won't go away so they are likely to take further action very soon. Once you smear your company's brand with your personal drama there are few paths back to how things were before it happened.

As for calling Trump a white supremacist - anyone who does that is literally demeaning the value of the term when its applied to the likes of David Duke and other actual white supremacists. Its generally a lazy way for people to use a pejorative because they lack the ability to make a more nuanced argument about what is driving Trump's actions.

She should be fired, which I suspect will happen at some point since ESPN already tried to remove her but changed their minds when her co-host refused to go on without her. The shitstorm won't go away so they are likely to take further action very soon. Once you smear your company's brand with your personal drama there are few paths back to how things were before it happened.

As for calling Trump a white supremacist - anyone who does that is literally demeaning the value of the term when its applied to the likes of David Duke and other actual white supremacists. Its generally a lazy way for people to use a pejorative because they lack the ability to make a more nuanced argument about what is driving Trump's actions.
You still waiting for that Trump pivot?

What does this have to do with my post ?
It's in reference to your hesitancy to see Trump for what he is. Anyway, warning at the most for me, I thought you were all for free speech? and against denying people a platform to say what they feel?

If I wasn't aware of this:
As I shared in that tweet, ESPN let Curt Schilling stay on the air when he made a couple clearly prejudiced statements. So there was precedent for her staying.
If she lied.
If she has broken laws or truly said something outlandish I'd be more receptive to what you are trying say.

As it stands, we won't agree here, when someone says Trumps a racist I'm actually surprised because it seems like it's something some of y'all don't really want to discuss. Surprised at that fact but not the accusation, because he is.

It's in reference to your hesitancy to see Trump for what he is. Anyway, warning at the most for me, I thought you were all for free speech? and against denying people a platform to say what they feel?

If I wasn't aware of this:

If she lied.
If she has broken laws or truly said something outlandish I'd be more receptive to what you are trying say.

As it stands, we won't agree here, when someone says Trumps a racist I'm actually surprised because it seems like it's something some of y'all don't really want to discuss. Surprised at that fact but not the accusation, because he is.

She is entitled to say what she feels as a citizen - that's freedom of speech. However if she says it while a public figure, she is not immune from being sanctioned by her employer, as she is using her fame that she gained while working for ESPN to springboard into her political views. That reflects poorly on her company and its brand and they are entirely within their rights to sack her.

As for the racist bit, you're just demeaning the term by applying it to Trump. When you do that, it holds less value when applied to actual white supremacists like David Duke and his ilk.

She is entitled to say what she feels as a citizen - that's freedom of speech. However if she says it while a public figure, she is not immune from being sanctioned by her employer, as she is using her fame that she gained while working for ESPN to springboard into her political views. That reflects poorly on her company and its brand and they are entirely within their rights to sack her.

As for the racist bit, you're just demeaning the term by applying it to Trump. When you do that, it holds less value when applied to actual white supremacists like David Duke and his ilk.
Anyway..... You ignored that post again. And I'll use the term how I feel to use it thank you. Value?

Someone's only a racist when they're part of the organisations?

Someone's only a racist when they're part of the organisations?

I don't think they have to belong to an organization, but they do have to overtly proclaim racist views that are widely regarded as racist by both the left and the right. Take David Duke for instance - he's an actual racist who is broadly recognized as such by people on both the left and the right. That's a proper racist imo. Therefore, squandering the term on people like Trump only dilutes its value when its applied to the likes of Duke and Richard Spencer; two actual admitted racists.

Trump's had actual instances where he's said stuff that could be regarded as racist, though. The entire birther scenario only originated because Obama wasn't white and had African heritage; Trump notably supported it, and thus espoused racist views. He might not be in the same category as Duke or Spencer but they're to the extreme end when it comes to racists.

I think she's right.

Even if you believe that (I don’t), she is a public figure working for a very public company (Disney/ESPN), and they are well within their rights to suspend or sack her if her political activity impugnes their brand by way of boycots or subscription cancellations.

Status
Not open for further replies.