Ten Hag sacked | Ruud appointed Interim Manager

That assumes that Ten Hag was the only problem. That is incorrect, in my view. He was a major part, but the factors that led to him failing were quite similar to those that led to previous managers failing, and they're rooted in the kind of environment we create for new managers as a club.

Imagine being a CEO who is hiring a series of people to work for you in your company, giving them what you think are the best tools, and when they keep failing you keep firing and replacing them.

At some point the shareholders above you should realize it's not the people you're hiring or the tools you're giving them, it's you. It's time to change CEOs. In our case, it's continued even into a new CEO for the first firing of their tenure.

One can only hope they hire better.

But since Ratcliffe bought part of the club, everything has changed except the manager. All the stuff before Ratcliffe and the failings are not related. As the club set up was completely different.

Thanks for the cup win vs City. That will legitimately live long in the memory. The rest of his tenure was pretty much a complete trainwreck though. We’re in a far worse state now then any of our previously sacked managers left us in.

Also well done to the club for wasting the last 6 months and throwing another season away rather than sacking him in May, when anyone with a half braincell could see exactly where this was going.

I hope we as club finally learn to stop this cult of the manager that seems to only effect United and it’s fans. If a manager isn’t working, and isn’t working for months on end, the chances that they’ll miraculously turn it around if given time, because Fergie once did 30 odd years ago, is complete and utter nonsense.

For me the alarm bells really rang when he said he couldn't play the football he played at Ajax here, despite signing most of that team. But what that said to me is that he can't play the football he played at Ajax unless he has a team and budget that dwarfs the rest of the division. But then again he's played many teams here that have a fraction of the budget he had and still really struggled so who the feck knows.

Thanks for the trophies but right decision that came too late I think. Hope he does well elsewhere as I generally liked him, just seemed tactically inept at this level.

Good luck to him and all that. Really thought he'd make a bigger impression here but, cups aside, it just hasn't clicked. This season in particular has been absolutely dire.

The utter incompetence of not sacking him before the season if this was what they were gonna do. I mean, it's good that we move on from Ten Hag, but I have no confidence whatsoever in that they will get the next manager right.

Right, so you have no faith in them because they chose not to sack him last season?

So you were part of the fans that didn't think the structure at the club as an issue?

The thing people have to realize when saying this, is if nothing changes we're getting relegated. Do you believe we will?
Not really. We are on course for 45 points which will have us mid table.

Berrada pushing for an 'iconic' manager next and It's going to be Xavi.... got it on great authority.
(Can' reveal the source because he only empties the bins once a week)

That assumes that Ten Hag was the only problem. That is incorrect, in my view. He was a major part, but the factors that led to him failing were quite similar to those that led to previous managers failing, and they're rooted in the kind of environment we create for new managers as a club.

Imagine being a CEO who is hiring a series of people to work for you in your company, giving them what you think are the best tools, and when they keep failing you keep firing and replacing them.

At some point the shareholders above you should realize it's not the people you're hiring or the tools you're giving them, it's you. It's time to change CEOs. In our case, it's continued even into a new CEO for the first firing of their tenure.

One can only hope they hire better.

I can’t say I agree. We gave Ten Hag a solid platform to build success upon, and he failed. We’ve had numerous issues within the club in the past decade, but this is one instance where it’s clear the manager was the limiting factor. He received an extremely generous amount of time and understanding, and he was very well-funded in recruitment. Ultimately the manager is responsible for the performances on the pitch, and this has been unacceptable for far too long.

There are many reasons he should be (have been) sacked, but mostly of late the players seems to have lost all confidence and energy. The pressure of the awful results just kept building and ETH sure could not fix it. Hopefully they will get some new lift with him gone. I sure do love Ruud, I hope comes out off all this well.

United can't sack all the players...but if I could bin one it would be Rashford. I jus can't watch him stroll around OT on the same pitch as out United legends. It make me want to puke. Hopefully RVN treats him as bench option, let him sulk away.....

Right, so you have no faith in them because they chose not to sack him last season?

So you were part of the fans that didn't think the structure at the club as an issue?
What gave you that idea? It's just that this isn't exactly a good look IMO and it, at the very least, appears completely incompetent. I'd be happy to admit I was wrong in a year.

Shouldn't need a rebuild. A good enough manager should be able to get more out of these players and improve them. There is a good enough team here, that just needs added to.

People will think the players are not good enough, but that is because the manager was doing a terrible job.

Yep I could be in for a shock but I don't believe this squad is as bad as it's looked recently.

What gave you that idea? It's just that this isn't exactly a good look IMO and it, at the very least, appears completely incompetent. I'd be happy to admit I was wrong in a year.

I tell you what gave me the idea. The fact that our CEO and DoF joined in July, after the decision to keep Ten Hag was made.

It isn't a good look either sacking and hiring a manager for the new personnel are on board.

They clearly agreed with you, they didn't have the expertise, so kept him on whilst giving the new CEO and DoF the power to sack him 3 months into the season.

It would make less sense to sack a manager hire one that the CEO or DoF dont agree with.

It really sounds like you literally want to get rid of every single player in the squad. We've effectively done that bar a handful over the last couple of seasons, and you're saying that's not enough so obviously you think that every single one of them needs to go. So what's your idea of a clear out now? Every single player in the current squad? Only the ones who were here before ETH? The ones who have been here longer than one season?

Also, what do you mean that managers have paid the price so now it's time to judge the players? The players have been judged and replaced far more often than the managers. We've gone through five managers, none of whom have gone on to do anything better and prove us wrong (obviously ETH has only just been fired). Meanwhile we've gone though what feels like about 100 players, with some of them going on to have quite good success elsewhere (much more than any of the managers).

Nobody is saying we should be hiring and firing managers every couple of months. But we should act like a top club that actually has standards. The likes of Real, Barca, Bayern and PSG have all gone through more managers than we have despite being much more successful during the same period.
Every underpeforming player in a long run should be gone. Apply that standard to everyone. ETH is gone, it's time to clear the mess he left, but what was the narration few months ago ? He stays because he can actually win a cup. Suddenly it's not the narration, and he's gone.

New manager, new ideas that will definitely lead to selling players. Why it's so scary all of a sudden ? Sell as much if you can if that helps. Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount, are they the future of midfield ? I'm actually listening to arguments that we should be appointing managers more often, and at some point, I could agree with the idea, but they will definitely lead to consequences, also a random ones if we take everything by chance of hitting jackpot.

Barca or Bayern have quite strict idea of hiring new guys, they're probably won't be picking every manager out there on the list. We picked Ruud to save our season, or perhaps to get something more from it ? I hope the 2nd option, because I can see also opposing arguments to what exactly is sacking spree for the sake of making fans just a little bit less unhappy, than they were few days before.

It really does show that things are not going to magically get better under Ineos when they couldn't see the obvious during the summer and get rid.

Instead, spent millions on signings for him, and then had to sack him before Christmas like I, and so many others knew would happen.

But since Ratcliffe bought part of the club, everything has changed except the manager. All the stuff before Ratcliffe and the failings are not related. As the club set up was completely different.

Firstly, I think the sacking was long overdue. ETH was out of his depth, of course.

But the lack of support for the manager as a theme has been consistent and has passed on as a trait from Glazers to INEOS. For instance, the way EtH was treated by the media immediately before and after the cup final, where we were publicly looking for alternatives behind his back, where the club did nothing to support/protect the manager from disgraceful questions and reports which would surely have affected morale and undermined his authority behind closed doors. Even of the money spent this summer, we only brought in Zirkzee as a goalscorer - after we officially let go of Sancho, Pellistri, and Greenwood. Our defence has improved as a result, but our goals scored remains abysmal - EtH could have clearly done better with what he had, but how much better? Whoever comes in next inherits the goalscoring problem.

The dithering has been inherited, too. If it was indeed determined that the manager was not up to the task, why did it take so long to fire him? Why not earlier in the last break, or even earlier in the summer, when there was clearly enough concern to go shopping elsewhere, and better options were available? What actual benefit was there to keeping him for the additional month, even if you wanted to give INEOS any benefit of doubt.

Now, there's time for INEOS to turn things around - but apart from part of the transfer business this summer (planning for the future with the profile/quality of Yoro, De Ligt, Ugarte), INEOS, so far, have displayed some very familiar systemic deficiences. I hope they turn it around in the way they handle the much more difficult task of appointing EtH's successor.

P128W70D23L35scored 217conceded 165win % 54.69

Above was Ten Hag's record with United. Ole for the record got to manage the club for 40 matches more and Ole left with win percentage of 54.17%.

It's a massive shame. Really wanted him to succeed when he took over but it's become a mess ever since last season.

Wish him all the best.

Hope INEOS doens't mess up more now.

A gesture used plenty in Italy where he currently is. It's a gesture that tends to be used in disagreement, frustration, or disbelief.
i thought it’s how you start easing your forearm into someone. at least that’s how my uncle showed me.

RvN is one of my favorite players of all time, so the dream for me is that he somehow becomes the perfect manager for us who also happens to be a great man manager. Obviously, I can't see it happening, but would be nice if he could be our Arteta.

P128W70D23L35scored 217conceded 165win % 54.69

Above was Ten Hag's record with United. Ole for the record got to manage the club for 40 matches more and Ole left with win percentage of 54.17%.
What's the loss % for them? And what about those stats when you keep it to PL games?

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of opposition voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened….

The utter incompetence of not sacking him before the season if this was what they were gonna do. I mean, it's good that we move on from Ten Hag, but I have no confidence whatsoever in that they will get the next manager right.
They saw how the fanbase reacted to the cup win and they folded, it's that simple. So we already have clear evidence of weak leadership. In an alternate universe we lost that final and we have a new manager already.

I can’t say I agree. We gave Ten Hag a solid platform to build success upon, and he failed. We’ve had numerous issues within the club in the past decade, but this is one instance where it’s clear the manager was the limiting factor. He received an extremely generous amount of time and understanding, and he was very well-funded in recruitment. Ultimately the manager is responsible for the performances on the pitch, and this has been unacceptable for far too long.

1. Time - agreed.

2. Understanding? No, not at all. Left to the wolves in the media with absolute silence above him game after game since early last season, where we all gave INEOS the benefit of doubt because the 'right people weren't in place yet.' INEOS lost belief in his ability (rightfully so) and then undermined his authority last summer when they went shopping for replacements before giving him only a 1-year extension. You either back your man, or you get a man you back. When you support him halfway, expect halfway results.

3. Well-funded - we as a club should know by now that 'lots-of-money-leads-to-lot-of-backing' mantra is wrong. It matters who you spent it on. It is not his fault that the club
- overspent on players lke Antony, or
- couldn't give him better options (or overrule him) on the likes Weghorst, Malacia, Mount
Recruitment shouldn't be his sole responsibility or even a major part of his responsibility. We may have done better this summer, but it's for long term options in defence, so only time can tell.

The manager underperformed massively, of course. He had to go last season itself, of course. Fixing that shouldn't hide the fact that he wasn't truly set up to succeed.

I really need someone to explain this one to me without making silly comparisons such as Ole. And I should insist on the fact that I'm really interested in Xavi or anyone else.

Xavi took over a mess and won the league, he is the one that either introduced or developed nearly all the kids that are currently shining and where shining with him and for Spain. Also for the Flick current love, Xavi has had similar periods with Barcelona in 2022-2023. To me he seems to be naive when it comes to big fixtures but he didn't fail with Barcelona and he is one of the big reasons they didn't totally collapse after the financial scandals because he relied on kids without issue.

Very nice to read a measured post about Xavi.

RvN is one of my favorite players of all time, so the dream for me is that he somehow becomes the perfect manager for us who also happens to be a great man manager. Obviously, I can't see it happening, but would be nice if he could be our Arteta.
Should have higher hopes than that. Has won one trophy in five seasons with Arsenal and whenever they play a decent team and are lucky enough to take the lead he choose to park the bus and hopes it's enough to win.

Forgive me for my lack of confidence that we can hire a successful replacement
I think we can. The structures for success are now in place. My preference is Southgate. He transformed the England set-up, making us genuine contenders for the major tournaments. His media savvy and man management skills are impressive and possibly just what we need to get the most out of our expensively assembled squad. I think he would create a positive vibe, so long absent from Old Trafford. There is a lot of speculation about Xavi but I think Utd need to get back to basics and nobody knows the English game and mentality like Southgate.

Well he's gone now perhaps everyone can move on now. Or until the next cannon fodder manager takes over and has to put out more fires than a guy in the blitz. Good luck whoever takes over . Just hope it's a guy with balls to take on the players and the media with some authority.

What's the loss % for them? And what about those stats when you keep it to PL games?
PL games was posted up by the PL themselves today.

464690251_1170572987760990_126503781209437976_n.jpg

Thank you for your service ETH. Lets see what happens next.

Sadly coming a long time. Ideally summer it should have happened, leave on a high after cup final but 8th in the league is deplorable.

Erik got rid of a lot of rotten eggs. Can see in the likes of David de Geas tweet, we had a lot of spoilt brats.

Problems for Erik were he signed dogshit players (although he had no real support in the signings so had no choice)to replace the rotten few and when the going got tough, he was too stubborn to adapt or change how we played. Effectively having us play like a bottom half team in pressing hard and trying to counter, which kept failing anyway.

Wish him the best, think he will do well at a club further down the road than us in terms of structure and stability - he was setup to fail here regardless like all managers post Fergie

Wish him all the best and thanks for the two trophies but your signings were abysmal, every single one of them bar probably Yoro but jury still out on that. Incapable of building a team and has been giving enough money to. More the board I reckon so the foundations need to be fixed as well.