Ten Hag sacked | Ruud appointed Interim Manager

You say this like every other club doesnt operate in this way. And they all operate in this way because it's the ONLY way to do it and the ONLY way that works.

When managers fail, you sack them.
Yeah do you think McKenna will be manager in 3.5 years time? Or do we go for the manager who has just been sacked from Barca/Real? And who replaces them 3.5 years later?

The players and the accepted culture of losing is the problem. Not the managers we’ve had.

The players were mostly brought by the manager and the culture is always the manager's responsibility. I still struggle to understand why only football fans pretend that the culture in a club isn't dictated by the person that is supposed to lead and is highly compensated for their supposed leadership qualities. There is no other sport where managers get that much leeway when things go wrong while getting all the flowers if things go well.

Months into a new season United managers was sacked since Ferguson retired (not counting interims or caretakers)

Ten Had 28th October
Ole 21 November
Jose 18 December
Van Gaal 23 May
Moyes 22nd of April

Last time a United manager was sacked in October was John Chapman in 1926 after United he became the general manager of the Liverpool Greyhound Racing Club is that role available for Ten hag now?

Not surprised he's sacked but surprised by the timing. Not playing Ugarte must have pisssed them off.

Well they made offers to Tuchel and De Zerbi so we know that's bullshit. I think they will prefer the option of having the entire season to do a managerial search instead of a month during the summer.

They talked to them but they didn't make them offers unless I missed something?

Just come away on holiday, sat down with a pint and open up Red Cafe and this is the first thing I see.

What a fekin cracking start to my hols!! I'm beaming.

ETH with United:
Turned us into a shite Ajax Mk.2
Spunked £600m on players.
Bought the wrong players.
No noticeable tactics.
Never adapted to 2nd half opposition changes.
Never made subs when he should.
When he did make a sub, he'd take off the wrong guy and the 85th minute.
Made too many team changes from week to week.
Would drop inform players from one week to the next.
Didn't play Ugarte and spat his dummy out the pram because he didn't sign him and didn't play for Ajax.
Was arrogant about the 'process' when all around could see 2yrs ago the process wasn't working.

And on and on...

Good riddance.

Sad, but the right decision in the end. I fear we are being run by another inexperienced set of clowns. There is only one member of INEOS that has worked at an elite level football club, that’s Berrada. And Berrada was one cog in a well oiled, obscenely well backed machine. Don’t forget this guy oversees talent management, not been particularly successful with the latest crop.

The circus continues . . .

The players were mostly brought by the manager and the culture is always the manager's responsibility. I still struggle to understand why only football fans pretend that the culture in a club isn't dictated by the person that is supposed to lead and is highly compensated for their supposed leadership qualities. There is no other sport where managers get that much leeway when things go wrong while getting all the flowers if things go well.
I think most football fans understand that just fine, it's our fanbase specifically that has that problem.

Finally. Thank God.

I really thought we'd got it right this time after his first season.

They talked to them but they didn't make them offers unless I missed something?
The Athletic stated they made offers to both. De Zerbi rejected the salary, Tuchel rejected based on the level of control he would have over day to day runnings of the club and transfer involvement.

Oh yes, I forgot ETH signed a lot of players that shockingly resemble the same old. Not to mention that the new players are constantly injured too, so he must play the old ones.

Ruud won't fix one thing with current squad mentality. ETH, just like Jose should be more ruthless, and they weren't.
Unbelievable that you genuinely believe this. It's like one of the worst, most nonsensical conspiracy theories I've seen, and is obviously untrue. There's a much simpler explanation to why we've performed so poorly. The notion of Rashford and Dalot having this immense power over entire club and all its players is just bonkers.

If anything, former players have carried him at different times (way more than the new players have), and players effort is the only thing that prevented him from losing the job much earlier.

Oh yes the ones he signed are always injured.

Ugarte, Antony, Zirkzee, Eriksen, De Ligt are always injured. Injuries cannot be an excuse this season.

Since the Jose sacking, how many players are actually here? Rashford, Shaw and Dalot?
Injuries are always somehow there, just like the mentality profile of players we sign. ETH was sacked, now Ruud will have to cope with exactly the same problems we've had. I guess it will be Ruud's fault, now.

Rashford, Shaw, Dalot, Linde, plus on top of that we've managed to sign Sancho, Anto, Mount who are quite similar in some traits.

Definitely won't be happy with Ruud getting the flak. If he have chance to become a full time manager, he should have a fair one, or we'll just be here again, talking about the same things with just different name in charge.

So we've tried:
  • A manager anointed by our outgoing legend as his successor (Moysay)
  • A builder known for building teams but usually departing before the team reaps the rewards of his foundation (LVG)
  • A pragmatist and volatile manager known for bringing the best out of his players whilst playing dull football and usually scorching the Earth before departing (Moaninho)
  • A popular ex-player brought in do mend fences with the fans, players, media, my nanny (Ole)
  • An interim brought in to identify issues (Ralfy Boy)
  • An innovative modern manager to bring attractive (and winning football) back (EtH)
...and failed each time.

Only one thing left to do and that is go nuclear like Argentina did with Diego Armando!

Bring in King Eric and enjoy the show!!!

So we've tried:
  • A manager anointed by our outgoing legend as his successor (Moysay)
  • A builder known for building teams but usually departing before the team reaps the rewards of his foundation (LVG)
  • A pragmatist and volatile manager known for bringing the best out of his players whilst playing dull football and usually scorching the Earth before departing (Moaninho)
  • A popular ex-player brought in do mend fences with the fans, players, media, my nanny (Ole)
  • An interim brought in to identify issues (Ralfy Boy)
  • An innovative modern manager to bring attractive (and winning football) back (EtH)
...and failed each time.

Only one thing left to do and that is go nuclear like Argentina did with Diego Armando!

Bring in King Eric and enjoy the show!!!
We could just hire a good manager and give that a go?

Also a worse loss ratio than Ole and LVG.

Points per game are the way to judge, where the West Ham result dropped him into 3rd:

Mourinho: 1.97
Ole: 1.845
ETH: 1.843
LVG: 1.81
Moyes: 1.73

In saying that, the cups are doing a lot of heavy lifting for ETH. If we limit it to just the PL then he drops to the bottom of the pile.

Mouinrho: 1.89
Ole: 1.80
LVG: 1.78
Moyes: 1.72
ETH: 1.71
This is the true answer ladies and gentlemen.

People with other answers are biased or have an agenda. They can go to bed;)

We probably produced our best football under ETH against West Ham in first half. Result was awful but bit hilarious that he got the sack after a decent performance when they could have sacked him for much worse performance

Unbelievable that you genuinely believe this. It's like one of the worst, most nonsensical conspiracy theories I've seen, and is obviously untrue. There's a much simpler explanation to why we've performed so poorly. The notion of Rashford and Dalot having this immense power over entire club and all its players is just bonkers.

If anything, former players have carried him at different times (way more than the new players have), and players effort is the only thing that prevented him from losing the job much earlier.
We should perform the clearout way earlier at much more intense way. Nothing conspiratiorial in that.

Stop acting shocked, the consequences of it are upon the club right now. Rashford will be 27 this month and as far as I remember he was poised to supposedly become a club legend.

On top of that, you have of course new players, who are similar with mentality.

We probably produced our best football under ETH against West Ham in first half. Result was awful but bit hilarious that he got the sack after a decent performance when they could have sacked him for much worse performance
West Ham were dog shit in the first half, you could hear their defence creaking every time we played the ball forward. But as I said to my cousin, it wasn't this game that got him the sack, it was the last 12 months that got him the sack.

Most damaging manager we've had. Oh come on, that's absurd.
But is it? Now the next manager is in a hard mission to reach UCL, and if that doesn't happen, adidas clause gets activated (2 seasons in a row we miss UCL). Which will further decrease our ability to spend and improve the squad.

Then you consider that we spent almost 600m pounds, which is more money burned than under any other manager, and we are way worse than when he got the job.

So yes, him and LvG long-term have been the worst managers for us. In case of him, he also gave us our worst ever season in EPL and UCL, in addition to this season which was making the last one looks great. We couldn't score, we were conceding like crazy, we were having a negative GD over the last 50 or so matches, we were as unwatchable as a team can be. Sorry, but I do not think that second-tier FA Cup and third tier Mickey Cup absolve him of the utterly abysmal job he has done in the league for the last 18 months.

The Athletic stated they made offers to both. De Zerbi rejected the salary, Tuchel rejected based on the level of control he would have over day to day runnings of the club and transfer involvement.

That's not what I read from the Athletic, they discussed and both came up with the opinion that it wasn't a good fit, same with De Zerbi, no actual offers were made to either. In fact the Athletic literally states that the original intention was to keep him because in spite of the fact that the season was disappointing they thought that there were mitigating factors, namely the amount of injuries, his resilience and his work in bringing through Garnacho and Mainoo.

Also a worse loss ratio than Ole and LVG.

Points per game are the way to judge, where the West Ham result dropped him into 3rd:

Mourinho: 1.97
Ole: 1.845
ETH: 1.843
LVG: 1.81
Moyes: 1.73

In saying that, the cups are doing a lot of heavy lifting for ETH. If we limit it to just the PL then he drops to the bottom of the pile.

Mouinrho: 1.89
Ole: 1.80
LVG: 1.78
Moyes: 1.72
ETH: 1.71
A worse league average than Moyes... yikes.

I'm honestly surprised it happened after yesterday. They did play well for the most part, aside from the horrific finishing and getting screwed by the garbage penalty call. I'm surprised because they igorned so many other obvious times to do it...after Liverpool or after Spurs or at the last international break. I suppose the one benefit to doing it now is the run of home matches coming up.

While I naturally hope for the new manager bump, I hope they don't just remove the interim tag should he run off a few victories in a row.

We should perform the clearout way earlier at much more intense way. Nothing conspiratiorial in that.

Stop acting shocked, the consequences of it are upon the club right now. Rashford will be 27 this month and as far as I remember he was poised to supposedly become a club legend.

Clear out? :lol:

Who do we need to clear out? Just the players Ten Hag brought in by the looks of things or do we clear out every single player? Then what? Who do we replace them with while we have FFP restrictions? Who wants our shite players also? You can't sell players that don't play well and are on big wages.

Is it just Rashford who needs to go then? After that the club will be transformed and we'll all pull together and win the league? And when we sell Rashford, who do we replace him with that can score 15+ goals a season in the PL? Those players are everywhere I bet, bet they're cheap also, and definitely want to join a team that is 14th in the league and going nowhere.

Never nice too see anyone fired but his time was up. The players didn't believe in what he was being asked to do. I hope we can bring in a higher profile well-respected manager and will have to make a hard decision about some big-name underperforming players to put the thumbprint on the squad. I am at least happy we didn't wait until after the first of the year to make the decision. We can still make progress in the Europa League and other competitions with a competent manager. Best of luck to ETH at his next job, it wouldn't shock me too see him do well with another team.

It followed the exact same pattern as dozens of other draws and defeats under Ten Hag.

Plan A works quite well, sometimes we take a two goal lead, sometimes finishing lets us down. Opposition manager reacts and changes something tactically. Ten Hag doesn't have a clue how to counter it and stands there watching impending disaster #73.

We could just hire a good manager and give that a go?
Isn't that what we thought we were doing with LVG, Jose and Erik?

Obviously I agree with you and this post is in jest. The last ten years has just diminished my confidence in us being able to do that, so all I can resort to is the ridiculous and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

He has cleared out nearly entire squad. The only players he inherited who still have a significant role are Rashford, Bruno and Dalot. Maguire is a backup, Shaw is never healthy, everyone else is gone.

Rashford is not running the club behind the scenes and affecting everyone’s mentality insidiously. He does not have that much influence. Besides, he is the only reason why ten Hag won’t be looked back as the worst PL coach of the last 30 years as his purple patch of form in 22-23 was the only short period of time in which we performed respectably under him.

A worse league average than Moyes... yikes.
Somebody else posted another table that had Moyes and ETH swapped in the league, so one of us is wrong. Not sure which, but he seemed to have spent more time doing his so it's probably more likely to have been me.

Regardless, they are both very close to each other and clearly below the others in the league.

Isn't that what we thought we were doing with LVG, Jose and Erik?

Obviously I agree with you and this post is in jest. The last ten years has just diminished my confidence in us being able to do that, so all I can resort to is the ridiculous and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
I'm sure someone thought they were doing that when they hired those guys but then you realise it was Woodward and it was probably just because they were available. At the time of all them appointments not a single person would have said they were the best at anything.

Taking Xavi at United is akin to Barcelona taking Ole. Both legends who failed at their clubs.