Ten Hag sacked | Ruud appointed Interim Manager

For those saying he doesn't have a distinct style of play, he actually does. Just take a look at our U-18s matches since last season, and you'll see what it looks like when it works. It's not far off from what he attempts with the first team—while defensively not that solid, it's aggressive, high-pressing football.

His downfall was his inability to consistently implement his ideas and get the players to fully buy in. There were games where we executed the plan well but failed to score, leading to increased pressure on him which led to him revert to a more pragmatic style of football.

Regarding the players he brought in, most of them are decent signings who shouldn't be immediate deadweights for the next manager.

- Hojlund: A young striker with potential. While not the most technically refined, he's arguably our best finisher at the moment and has shown glimpses of effective hold-up play.

- Zirkzee: Lacks the intensity required for the league but is a well-rounded player with good link-up ability. If the next manager can help him raise his intensity, he'll be fine.

- Mount: Unfortunately, he's been plagued by injuries. While ETH takes the blame for targeting him, the £55m fee and his ongoing fitness issues aren't entirely on him. Unless Mount miraculously overcomes his injury issues, he's a failed signing at this point.

- Antony: It's clear he hasn't worked out, and ETH should be accountable for targeting him. The £80m transfer fee was excessive, especially when he was reportedly available for around £40m earlier in the same window which the old structure should take the blame. With the new structure in place, we hopefully avoid this kind of overspending in the future. If he was bought for that £40m we would have just said that he didn't work out and moved on.

- Malacia: A cheap backup left-back who did his job when fit. It's hard to blame ETH for a botched surgery that has kept Malacia sidelined for 18 months.

- Eriksen: A free signing meant to add creativity to the midfield. He’s been more than adequate and was always likely to be phased out in a couple of years due to his age.

- Casemiro: While not necessarily a terrible player, the transfer fee was excessive, and it always felt like a panic buy after missing out on FDJ and funnily enough the only player I think was not an ETH signing as he was a completely different profile of midfielder to FDJ. We barely got one good season out of him before he was done.

- De Ligt: A solid signing at a good age who has performed well so far.

- Martinez: Despite criticism for his height( I was guilty of this too when he was signed) and not fitting some people's ideal profile for a center-back, he's been generally reliable. He had a rough start this season but has improved in recent games.

- Mazraoui: An improvement over AWB in my view. If he stays fit, he's a valuable player for any manager.

- Onana: Struggled in the first half of last season, especially in the Champions League, where he made costly mistakes in nearly every game. For me, he takes the most blame for that CL exit. However, he recovered and has arguably been our best player this season.

- Bayindir: A cheap backup goalkeeper who, like most backup GKs, rarely sees playing time unless the first-choice keeper is injured.

- Ugarte: A very ball-winner probably even world class at it, though not a playmaker, which may have led to some unrealistic expectations from him.

- Yoro: Hasn’t played a game for us yet, so it's too early to judge his success or failure.

Overall, the signings have generally been decent in my view. No club has a 100% success rate with transfers anyways.

Maybe the manager is just shit mate? Last I saw ‘these players’ were pretty much signed by the manager who they got sacked.
We're yet to see any of these managers leave United and make us regret sacking them. I doubt it'll be any different with ten Hag.

Just tuned in…my god they actually did it, 3 months too late mind you but finally he’s gone, thanks for your minor trophies but whatever style of play you were trying to implement, do it somewhere else.

This makes most sense from all options available. Would be next season. Which means letting RVN see the season out.

Always thought ETH was absolutely shit and the kind of manager Spurs would have had ten to fifteen years ago. Was proven correct, unfortunately.

This makes most sense from all options available. Would be next season. Which means letting RVN see the season out.

Always thought ETH was absolutely shit and the kind of manager Spurs would have had ten to fifteen years ago. Was proven correct, unfortunately.
Spurs turned him down previously over a lack of charisma it was said :lol:

It will be done to death, again. The club running in circles. You'll be throwing rocks at next appointment very soon.
You probably wish that. Our 900.000.00m worth of players squad is more than good enough to be able to play the way Spurs or Villa do. More than good enough to not be 14th. We just need to appoint the right manager. Lets see who it will be.

It will be done to death, again. The club running in circles. You'll be throwing rocks at next appointment very soon.

You say this like every other club doesnt operate in this way. And they all operate in this way because it's the ONLY way to do it and the ONLY way that works.

When managers fail, you sack them.

Well if we let him sign his shitty little players from a league that is light years off the PL then maybe he will be?
We will probably let managers sign players they want at some point. Better start preparing stones to throw at next appointment, with no guarantees of winning even a league cup.

Which is fine, but I presume the next manager *may* keep him around. I do think at least Hojlund's movement has improved - not saying that's all down to Ruud but its notable considering how little game time he s had since coming off the injury. I dont get the impression Ruud is tied at the hip with EtH

This obsession with managers staying 30 years in a job needs to stop. United has a long history and we only had 2 managers like that one of which was already showing signs of decline when he left. It's normal for managers to reach their ceiling or are fount out which means that they need to get sacked.

In such circumstances we need people who can pick the tab at interim level only to vanish in the shadows once the new manager is chosen. Inter had the iconic beppe baresi in the role (brother of Franco). He covered every role from interim manager to assistant right to scout at a time when Mancini wanted as much distance between the two. The man would be kept in the loop, he would go in knowing exactly were the problem is, he would stir the ship to the right direction and then he would return to a lesser role when the club ended up hiring a new Manager. I was hoping ole or phelan could do that job for us. Ruud can be that man as well

The players were celebrating the 4-3 result against Bayern. Says it all

This is such a rediculous situation now, should have been fired earlier and appointed tuchel, well who is available now: no Southgate please

If the next manager gets the same daft treatment this one has from some fans, ridiculous patience and time I will honestly be in utter disbelief. I hope the next time it’s obvious the bloke is a failure they get the chop a lot swifter. Let’s actually start acting like a proper modern day club please.

You say this like every other club doesnt operate in this way. And they all operate in this way because it's the ONLY way to do it and the ONLY way that works.

When managers fail, you sack them.
You forgot to add, if manager fail, you sack them... and appoint substantial upgrade. You can't even be sure if your new punching bag will win a league cup.

We will probably let managers sign players they want at some point. Better start preparing stones to throw at next appointment, with no guarantees of winning even a league cup.
I’ll take not winning the league cup if it means not finishing in the bottom half and getting routinely thrashed by your rivals.

Yea that is quite right. A succession of capable managers have walked in and been kicked out since Sir Alex.
And I keep hoping that this time we have got it right, only to be disappointed like the rest of us.

Yet other clubs have made a much better job of recruiting the right person.
That's because its not only about hiring the right manager, but having the right structure. We could have Pep, Xavi, Ancelotti or whoever and they wouldn't make it here at the moment.

I’ll take not winning the league cup if it means not finishing in the bottom half and getting routinely thrashed by your rivals.
So you know how the season will end huh ?

You need to prepare for the worst then, because club is in bad era. Pool and Arsenal were there. We can change manager every season, if that makes people calmer.

I'm late to this.

Never happy to see a manager lose his job, but it was necessary. I think privately Ten Hag will be okay about it too. He'll look 20 years younger and with a fresh head of hair soon.

I share the same view on Bruno Fernandes. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to sack a player (or two).

4 wins in 14 games this season and people here were defending him. fecking madness!:lol:

You're acting as if every other poster here was defending him?

Just want to say those for the sake of it? I dont see many posters defending him last 3 weeks?

Lots of names obviously doing the rounds but I don’t think many of them are realistic at this point. There are a handful of decent managers around but no truly great ones available right now.

Amorim I don’t think will come mid season and may be City bound if Pep walks.

Similarly I think Nagelsmann is wedded to the NT project right now.

Hoeneß has it all to prove and isn’t ready for the PL, let alone a toxic hot seat like United.

Someone like Potter or Southgate may be attractive as a developer and club builder, if not an out and out winner. That’s the kind of position/project we are in right now and Ashworth has worked with them both previously also so will know all about them. I think this is the path we will take, uninspiring as it may be.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ruud in place until January now, and then Southgate appointed when he’s back to work.

Fantastic start to the week. Hopefully Ruud can inject some positivity into the squad, I'm sure he's given all fans an instant lift of mood.

I don't want Ruud to take over because I love the guy, and I don't want to see another club legend getting shit on. Which he will as soon as things start going wrong.

I don't care who the new manager is, there's no obvious available name that excites me and I don't believe they'l succeed anyway. If we could just be remotely interesting, or exciting to watch. If I could just feel a tiny bit of pride in the team and the club, that'd be great.

It´s time to open a bottle of DOM and celebrate..I have a feeling Xavi is coming to Manchester. Here´s for glory.

That is way too harsh. He did won 2 trophies.
But trophies aren't important apparently.
I swear we're the only fanbase in the world that would downplay a cup final win against our local rivals.
Both Van Gaal and Ole did better than him in the league, which is the main barometer of success. And both did better than him in UCL, despite being quite shit there.

Moyes season was somewhere between EtH's first and second season, and miles better than this one. If we are counting interims, Rangnick's terrible season was still better than our last season, and far better than this one. So yep, at best case I'll rank him just above Moyes, but below Ole/LvG and considerably below Mourinho. But considering the money spent, and time given, I would rank him bottom, and think that together with LvG, long term he has been the most damaging manager we've had.

Most damaging manager we've had. Oh come on, that's absurd.

Also a worse loss ratio than Ole and LVG.

Points per game are the way to judge, where the West Ham result dropped him into 3rd:

Mourinho: 1.97
Ole: 1.845
ETH: 1.843
LVG: 1.81
Moyes: 1.73

In saying that, the cups are doing a lot of heavy lifting for ETH. If we limit it to just the PL then he drops to the bottom of the pile.

Mouinrho: 1.89
Ole: 1.80
LVG: 1.78
Moyes: 1.72
ETH: 1.71
But so what if the cups are doing heavy lifting? We were shite in the FA Cup for far too long. Same with the EFL Cup.

city and the scousers regularly get to the final of these competitions. We should be aswell.

Last edited:
But trophies aren't important apparently.
I swear we're the only fanbase in the world that would downplay a cup finak win against our local rivals.

Most damaging manager we've had. Oh come on, that's absurd.

But so what if the cups are doing heavy lifting? We were shite in the FA Cup for far too long. Same with the EFL Cup.

city and the scousers regularly get to the final of these competitions. We should be aswell.
The league is the bread and butter and what helps keep the club financially profitable. Not being able to be in the top 4 consistently has cost the club financially and in some prestige too. What is the point in cups if we can't be a good team in the league?

Not how the world works. Liverpool didnt know Klopp would turn out to be one of the best 2 managers in the world until he was in place. We didn't know Ten Hag would be a complete fraud until he was in the door. Both hirings were good decisions at the time they were made.

Thats why you have to cycle through managers until you get lucky.
Let's make appointment every six months then. Should speed up the process... but by luck is not exacly how world works, right ? There has to be calculation from time to time, to actually appoint an upgrade, rather than another random manager.

Another appointment will need proably need another year on assessing things... if only people had patience for that.

Fantastic start to the week. Hopefully Ruud can inject some positivity into the squad, I'm sure he's given all fans an instant lift of mood.
It should have happened at the last break. Let's hope there is enough time and the players/coaches put in maximum effort to salvage something from this season.