Southport knife attack - 3 children dead, 8 children and 2 adults injured

It doesn't help them at all. Mental institutions are some of the worst places on this planet for everyone involved.

As bad as prisons, in which you are known to be a child murderer? I guess they are still protected to a degree. Ugh.

I'm not adamant, I'm just stating that the mental health route helps these people, instead of demonizing them.
It's extremely unlikely that he'll ever be released either way.

I don't believe these people can be given rehabilitation. Just my opinion.

But as a society we can potentially learn from their treatment and be better informed which in turn could help prevent future incidents.

This idea that mental health is thrown out as some kind of excuse that leads to perpetrators being wrapped in cotton wool and put in swanky hotel rooms rather than prison where they belong is just untrue and daft.

Do you believe someone like him can be saved and shouldn't receive max consequences through the justice system?

I am not in any position to decide that, and neither are you. What if he was having a psychotic breakdown? You could have a psychotic breakdown and do something terrible. Anyone could. If that's the case, he should be taken care of by the mental health services. I assume Britain has secure institutions for those, and that's why they're there.

But as a society we can potentially learn from their treatment and be better informed which in turn could help prevent future incidents.

This idea that mental health is thrown out as some kind of excuse that leads to perpetrators being wrapped in cotton wool and put in swanky hotel rooms rather than prison where they belong is just untrue and daft.

It's more than that. It's barely a secret that mistreatments, violence and heavy sedations are common. They are often overcrowded and under staffed.

I’m just putting my little boy to bed and he’s just drifted off. He won’t be two for a few months yet and the thought of anyone hurting him fills me with unimaginable dread. I just cannot begin to imagine what those parents are going through tonight.

I can’t help but lie with him a little longer tonight and appreciate the fact he’s safe here with me.
Cherish every moment. The thought of anything jeopardising our children’s safety is utterly terrifying. My little girl’s two years old and with everything going on in the world I often think I’m a terribly overbearing dad.

Hope I don’t stifle her ambitions, and that she understands I just want her to be safe.

What breaks my heart is those parents wanted the same for their girls.

I don't believe these people can be given rehabilitation. Just my opinion.

If the crime is committed purely because someone is mentally ill they don’t need rehabilitation, they need treatment. So that’s irrelevant. That’s why they go to a hospital and not a prison. Rehabilitation only applies if someone is not mentally ill and commits a crime when of sound mind. Then they go to prison.

I think you’re coming at this assuming mentally ill just means someone who is a bit depressed, or anxious, or addicted to drugs. In order to be sufficiently mentally ill that you can’t be prosecuted for a crime you need to have completely lost touch with reality. If it’s something more minor then they can still be punished in the same way as anyone else. So the diagnosis doesn’t really matter.

Can you imagine being a victim as a child to an act like this and then reading later on in life that it wasn't an act of terror, but the guy was a vulnerable mentally ill person. I'd personally feel enraged. Their lives will never be the same.

I don't really get the point you're trying to make here to be honest. Why are you so desperate for it to be labelled an act of terror?

Does it really make it better for the parents whether the killer of their child did so because he's a terrorist or because he's got mental health problems?

This is where we disagree, but that's fine. In my opinion once you decide to inflict harm upon a child, treatment should be not available to you, and you should be locked away forever with the key thrown away.

With respect, I don't think you understand how mental health issues work.

Cherish every moment. The thought of anything jeopardising our children’s safety is utterly terrifying. My little girl’s two years old and with everything going on in the world I often think I’m a terribly overbearing dad.

Hope I don’t stifle her ambitions, and that she understands I just want her to be safe.

What breaks my heart is those parents wanted the same for their girls.

We all need to be a bit wary about that. We’re so immersed in media that the world can seem a lot more dangerous than it really is. Kids have a good radar for these things and if they grow up sensing that their parents perceive the world as a very scary place, either by what they say or do, then that can cause problems down the road. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if over anxious and protective parents is a factor in the teen mental health crisis that seems to be happening right now.

It’s kind of fecked up but just the right amount of ‘neglect’ can help kids grow up resilient. That’s why younger siblings are often much more confident. The firstborn is the child that absorbs all the parental anxiety. By the time they have second and subsequent kids the parents are generally much less obsessed about constantly monitoring the safety of their child.

Death is death. Parents don't need an underlying political reason why their child died.

To me it actually sounds worse. I don't know how I would deal with the idea that my child has been killed for an idiology that has nothing to do with them.

We all need to be a bit wary about that. We’re so immersed in media that the world can seem a lot more dangerous than it really is. Kids have a good radar for these things and if they grow up sensing that their parents perceive the world as a very scary place, either by what they say or do, then that can cause problems down the road. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if over anxious and protective parents is a factor in the teen mental health crisis that seems to be happening right now.

It’s kind of fecked up but just the right amount of ‘neglect’ can help kids grow up resilient. That’s why younger siblings are often much more confident. The firstborn is the child that absorbs all the parental anxiety. By the time they have second and subsequent kids the parents are generally much less obsessed about constantly monitoring the safety of their child.

I had that conversation with family members a few months ago. During our childhood, we would go out and discover our surrounding without much worry, our parents and teachers would tell us to be careful and don't trust any adult or other reckless kids and that was it. We would disappear for half of the day and comeback home. Now I see parents refusing to let teenagers walk to highschool or middle school on their own.

I had that conversation with family members a few months ago. During our childhood, we would go out and discover our surrounding without much worry, our parents and teachers would tell us to be careful and don't trust any adult or other reckless kids and that was it. We would disappear for half of the day and comeback home. Now I see parents refusing to let teenagers walk to highschool or middle school on their own.

Yeah, it’s bit mad. Especially when you consider that, by any objective measure, it’s a lot safer for kids now than it was then. The pandemic obviously made things worse too. Imagine growing up seeing your parents terrified of an airborn virus.

Have you never seen/heard of cases before where murderers will attempt to play the mental illness card, and get off lightly as a result? I'm mainly coming from a place where this monster doesn't face as severe a punishment because of literally murdering kids in broad daylight.
It is basically impossible to fake mental illness. There are people who are experts at identifying it.

Have you never seen/heard of cases before where murderers will attempt to play the mental illness card, and get off lightly as a result? I'm mainly coming from a place where this monster doesn't face as severe a punishment because of literally murdering kids in broad daylight.
Yeah, Edward Norton was great in that.

Christ.

I really don’t know what the world is coming to. Children who should be enjoying the summer holidays end up being killed. I can’t comprehend what their parents must be going through. My daughters attend dance classes and those parents would have left their children to enjoy their class and not hear of the horrific stuff that happened or expect this.

I see myself as overbearing when trying to keep my kids safe. I just end up worrying all of the time.

News saying the killer was 17 and from Cardiff?

It's disgusting how easy and quick some people are to judge and report to masses fake news. How GB News consistently get away with it is awful.

It really makes me angry. It's completely disrespectful to the victims of said incident and then it whips up hatred and abuse to groups that have nothing to do with said incident.

Last edited:
From the Telegraph:

The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons and is originally from Cardiff, moved to the Southport area with his Rwandan parents when he was aged six.

This suggests he is British, born to parents who were originally from Rwanda. Nothing to do with asylum seekers or anything of that ilk.

The curious thing to me is that he must have targeted this event. He travelled by taxi from Banks, which would take about 15 or 20 minutes, it's right at the other end of town.

Don't want to touch the horror that is the main topic here, but some thoughtful posts from fellow parents on ensuring their kids don't grow up in fear reminded me of the really good work Jonathan Haidt does.
This is a good read : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coddling-A...fb-82f9-d9cae2928e7e&pd_rd_i=0141986301&psc=1
And his new book on kids and screens/social media is another must read.

Sorry if off topic, didn't want to start a redcafe parents thread..though..maybe not a bad idea!

From the Telegraph:

The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons and is originally from Cardiff, moved to the Southport area with his Rwandan parents when he was aged six.

This suggests he is British, born to parents who were originally from Rwanda. Nothing to do with asylum seekers or anything of that ilk.

The curious thing to me is that he must have targeted this event. He travelled by taxi from Banks, which would take about 15 or 20 minutes, it's right at the other end of town.

Yes I have been wondering what the motive for this was. It’s a random street so he must have targeted that specific location/event which would suggest a connection or reason for doing so. If they simply wanted to cause spontaneous, random, maximum harm with a weapon they’d head to the Town Centre. The age of the suspect has thrown me though as I would have normally though it could have been a parent involved in a child care dispute that has simply lost it.

I also noted the police were called just before midday and it would seem the event finished at midday so you wonder if the timing was also planned.

Don't want to touch the horror that is the main topic here, but some thoughtful posts from fellow parents on ensuring their kids don't grow up in fear reminded me of the really good work Jonathan Haidt does.
This is a good read : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coddling-A...fb-82f9-d9cae2928e7e&pd_rd_i=0141986301&psc=1

Sorry if off topic, didn't want to start a redcafe parents thread..though..maybe not a bad idea!

Agree, this would be a good idea.

Reading the reviews it looks like it's attracted all the right wing boomer types who want to blame young people and the 'libs' for all of societies ills.

I'm not saying you fit this type of profile, so it would be good to get your views on the gist of the book?

Looking at the author he's one of these people who seems to think free speech is under attack. So if he's one of those right wing wackos I wouldn't give him a penny. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Probably best in the General though rather than in here. Inevitably some of the things that people will want to discuss will be quite personal.

For anyone who wants the latest update from the police: this is from last night
https://www.merseyside.police.uk/ne...ennedy-following-major-incident-in-southport/

Inevitably there's a lot of speculation around the attacker, on his background and his motives. That'll continue but he is in custody and isn't likely to be going anywhere for a long time.

Meanwhile we do know that two children are dead. Six more children and two adults are in a critical condition in hospital. Three other children were injured. The pain of their families and friends I can't even imagine.

I can only send my hopes for all those injured now for the best possible recovery.

For the families and friends of the victims, I can only hope they can find the strength to recover as best they can as well.

Rest in peace to the little ones.

The question was how do you stop things like this from happening.

More stop and search won’t stop every attack - but if it stops 1 it’s a huge success in my eyes and we’d never even know about it.
I dont have the answer. I think whoever stabbed children must have been mentally ill. Maybe better care for the mentally ill, especially those who are dangerous would help prevent such things.

I'm getting old and i've never been stopped and searched in my life. If i was to get stopped and search even twice a year, whats the chances they'd find something on me?

Such an awful thing to have happened, RIP.

For anyone who wants the latest update from the police: this is from last night
https://www.merseyside.police.uk/ne...ennedy-following-major-incident-in-southport/

Inevitably there's a lot of speculation around the attacker, on his background and his motives.

Quite a lot on his background already with what has been released. Aged 17, born in Cardiff, moved to Southport, parents originally from Rwanda. Those who live in the area will obviously know who he is. I stumbled across something on Twitter last night that pretty much revealed his identity. There was a guy who lived opposite the attacker's house and his ring doorbell footage of him walking around outside with his hoodie and facemask on appeared on the news. He posted pics of the police at the address and was talking too much. No names but he said a lot about his family and confirmed who the attacker's dad was when asked.

As for his motives, who knows? Sounds like mental health issues to me. Not that anyone sane would do this, I'm not sure it's in the name of any cause.