Southport knife attack - 3 children dead, 8 children and 2 adults injured

I'm talking about developed Asia, hence the countries I mentioned, rather than Pakistan or Indonesia, which are a different ballpark.

I don't want to derail the thread, but crime remains ultra-low there. I think it's little to do with the death penalty anyway, way more about society and values etc... but that's another discussion.
Fair point to be honest, it's an odd one but yes, for another thread.

I think the issue is the weird approach the media sometimes take when they don't name the suspect or discuss anything, it breeds a conspiratorial mindset and a "what are they hiding" attitude, almost proving the bellends on the far right "correct".

I know sometimes their are legal reasons, other times there isn't and this avoidance to name makes the situation even worse.
He's under 18 I don't think they can name him.

Going on twitter after something like this makes you hate the world. Nobody cares about the children just bloodlust hoping the attacker was a migrant

Really grim topic but does it seems as though mass stabbings of children is on the increase? I remember at least one similar event in China. Plus we have what happened in Dublin and now this. I guess you could put school shootings in the same category? There doesn’t seem to be any rational motive linking them all together either. Is self perpetuating? Giving the perpetrators notoriety just inspires the next perpetrator. Maybe we need to be more careful how these events are covered in the press?

Does it really matter if it was an act of terrorism or not? Its just a shame he's not dead, because the little rat doesn't deserve to live. The poor little kids from dancing with joy to screaming in terror. The horrible little cnut.

Can you imagine being a victim as a child to an act like this and then reading later on in life that it wasn't an act of terror, but the guy was a vulnerable mentally ill person. I'd personally feel enraged. Their lives will never be the same.

Can’t comprehend what those parents must be going through.

Can only hope the children still critical pull through, but hard to escape a feeling of helplessness. Times like this you wish you could do more than send best wishes.

Heart breaking.

Those poor children and their families. Just horrible and utterly needless. Can't begin to imagine the grief those families are going through right now.

Can you imagine being a victim as a child to an act like this and then reading later on in life that it wasn't an act of terror, but the guy was a vulnerable mentally ill person. I'd personally feel enraged. Their lives will never be the same.

It's a matter of definition, it's not like the police are trying to scam anyone out of being the victim of a terrorist attack. That's also the reason the 2017 Las Vegas shooting (at the concert) isn't called a terrorist attack, but "just" a mass shooting. They haven't been able to locate any motive. It doesn't diminish anyone's suffering.

It's a matter of definition, it's not like the police are trying to scam anyone out of being the victim of a terrorist attack. That's also the reason the 2017 Las Vegas shooting (at the concert) isn't called a terrorist attack, but "just" a mass shooting. They haven't been able to locate any motive. It doesn't diminish anyone's suffering.

It's been stated by some European governments that it's deliberately a tactic to avoid mass protests/riots, so in some ways it is a scam.

Really grim topic but does it seems as though mass stabbings of children is on the increase? I remember at least one similar event in China. Plus we have what happened in Dublin and now this. I guess you could put school shootings in the same category? There doesn’t seem to be any rational motive linking them all together either. Is self perpetuating? Giving the perpetrators notoriety just inspires the next perpetrator. Maybe we need to be more careful how these events are covered in the press?
Was thinking similar earlier, like has this type of incident always happened but that we are just more aware of it happening now or being reported better.

Have to be constantly on your guard nowadays it feels.

Enraged because you found out it wasn’t an act of terror? Or enraged because the guy who did it was mentally ill? Or enraged because it happened at all? Not following you here.

Enraged because you found out it wasn’t an act of terror? Or enraged because the guy who did it was mentally ill? Or enraged because it happened at all? Not following you here.

Engraged that the man was brought through the mental health system, taken care of to some degree instead of being outed as the monster he is through the media. As in committing an act of terror upon children.

Engraged that the man was brought through the mental health system, taken care of to some degree instead of being outed as the monster he is through the media. As in committing an act of terror upon children.

I’m still not following you. If he really was mentally ill then reporting that is just stating facts. Why would anyone be enraged about the facts of the case being reported truthfully?

I can see why victims and their families would be angry if they - or anyone else - were deliberately misled by the information on the case that gets shared with the media. But I don’t think we’ve any evidence that has ever happened. Either here or in any similar atrocities in the past.

They're still a murderer, mentally ill or not. Not sure why you're so adamant they need to be a terrorist.

How does it help them

Have you never seen/heard of cases before where murderers will attempt to play the mental illness card, and get off lightly as a result? I'm mainly coming from a place where this monster doesn't face as severe a punishment because of literally murdering kids in broad daylight.

Shouldn't the mental health system deal with people with mental health problems? Or do you not think mental health problems like these are real?

Do you believe someone like him can be saved and shouldn't receive max consequences through the justice system?

I'm not quite sure they're going to give a feck about the semantics of the situation, but please keep peddling your angle.

I’m still not following you. If he really was mentally ill then reporting that is just stating facts. Why would anyone be enraged about the facts of the case being reported truthfully?

I can see why victims and their families would be angry if they - or anyone else - were deliberately misled by the information on the case that gets shared with the media. But I don’t think we’ve any evidence that has ever happened. Either here or in any similar atrocities in the past.
I think what he's trying to say is they'd be enraged he was treated in mental hospital rather than serving time in prison if they deem it mental health issue rather than an act of terrorism. I could be entirely wrong though.

I think what he's trying to say is they'd be enraged he was treated in mental hospital rather than serving time in prison if they deem it mental health issue rather than an act of terrorism. I could be entirely wrong though.

Exactly what I'm saying.

Have you never seen/heard of cases before where murderers will attempt to play the mental illness card, and get off lightly as a result? I'm mainly coming from a place where this monster doesn't face as severe a punishment because of literally murdering kids in broad daylight.
If people do have a serious mental health problem then it should be taken into account and treated because that's a problem and I would like to think we live in a society which treats people with illnesses or injury whether they are a prisoner or a free citizen. Like I said, they're still a murderer, mental illness or not and first and foremost that's how they will largely be remembered so I don't think people won't demonise them.

Needle in a haystack.
How frequently would people have to be stopped and searched for a deranged individual to be caught?

The question was how do you stop things like this from happening.

More stop and search won’t stop every attack - but if it stops 1 it’s a huge success in my eyes and we’d never even know about it.

If people do have a serious mental health problem then it should be taken into account and treated because that's a problem and I would like to think we live in a society which treats people with illnesses or injury whether they are a prisoner or a free citizen. Like I said, they're still a murderer, mental illness or not and first and foremost that's how they will largely be remembered so I don't think people won't demonise them.

This is where we disagree, but that's fine. In my opinion once you decide to inflict harm upon a child, treatment should be not available to you, and you should be locked away forever with the key thrown away.

I'm not adamant, I'm just stating that the mental health route helps these people, instead of demonizing them.

It doesn't help them at all. Mental institutions are some of the worst places on this planet for everyone involved.

Can’t comprehend what those parents must be going through.

Can only hope the children still critical pull through, but hard to escape a feeling of helplessness. Times like this you wish you could do more than send best wishes.

Heart breaking.
I’m just putting my little boy to bed and he’s just drifted off. He won’t be two for a few months yet and the thought of anyone hurting him fills me with unimaginable dread. I just cannot begin to imagine what those parents are going through tonight.

I can’t help but lie with him a little longer tonight and appreciate the fact he’s safe here with me.

The Terrorism Act 2000 defines terrorism, both in and outside of the UK, as the use or threat of one or more of the actions listed below, and where they are designed to influence the government, or an international governmental organisation or to intimidate the public. The use or threat must also be for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.

The specific actions included are:

• serious violence against a person;
  • serious damage to property;
  • endangering a person's life (other than that of the person committing the action);
  • creating a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public; and
  • action designed to seriously interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.
The use or threat of action, as set out above, which involves the use of firearms or explosives is terrorism regardless of whether or not the action is designed to influence the government or an international governmental organisation or to intimidate the public or a section of the public.

This is where we disagree, but that's fine. In my opinion once you decide to inflict harm upon a child, treatment should be not available to you, and you should be locked away forever with the key thrown away.

What’s the benefit of this?