Southport knife attack - 3 children dead, 8 children and 2 adults injured

Tbf doesn't really seem like the sort of thing someone who is mentally healthy does.

The problem is that they are no no longer considered acts of terrorism. It was the same with the stabbings of children in broad daylight in Dublin in November. "Mental health" and that's it, no motive to specifically targeting young children.

Always funny to see people get all butthurty about a small minority of dickheads on twitter speculating on the race/religion of the attacker. There's dickheads everywhere online. If your first reaction to a bloke going on a child stabbing spree is to either start speculating about the guy's religion or mouthing off about the people who do then you should give your head a wobble.
All the comments that typically accompany an event like this, rooting for the perpetrator to be/not be a member of whatever demographic or hoping it's somebody who's on the other team politically somehow are really strange, on both sides.

That's certainly not the case in Asia. Singapore, Japan and South Korea all have capital punishment but very low murder rates. Crime generally is much lower out East.
Pakistan, Indonesia have the death penalty and have issues with crime.

Also Singapore has the death penalty for drugs yet the last few years, there is been a sizeable increase in drug abuse and seizures, so clearly not a deterrent.

All the comments that typically accompany an event like this, rooting for the perpetrator to be/not be a member of whatever demographic or hoping it's somebody who's on the other team politically somehow are really strange, on both sides.

Likewise the triumphalism when the perp is revealed to be brown/white Christian/muslim (delete as appropriate)

The problem is that they are no no longer considered acts of terrorism. It was the same with the stabbings of children in broad daylight in Dublin in November. "Mental health" and that's it, no motive to specifically targeting young children.
I think the issue is the weird approach the media sometimes take when they don't name the suspect or discuss anything, it breeds a conspiratorial mindset and a "what are they hiding" attitude, almost proving the bellends on the far right "correct".

I know sometimes their are legal reasons, other times there isn't and this avoidance to name makes the situation even worse.

This is my home town, where I grew up. It's hard to believe really, I know that area so well. And for the perpetrator to be just 17, it's so sad.

Death penalty is too good for them. A bit of fear and then peace.

I'd tie people like this up in a shit-infested windowless room alone. Each day cutting off a different body part bit by bit until they only have left what they need to be alive. Cut out their eyes, cut off their nose and cut out their tongue. Keep their ears just so they can hear the footsteps coming each day for a new torture. Keeping them alive by feeding them cat shit. And let them go crazy though solitary confinement before eventually letting them starve to death after years of hell
Erm

Pakistan, Indonesia have the death penalty and have issues with crime.

Also Singapore has the death penalty for drugs yet the last few years, there is been a sizeable increase in drug abuse and seizures, so clearly not a deterrent.
I'm talking about developed Asia, hence the countries I mentioned, rather than Pakistan or Indonesia, which are a different ballpark.

I don't want to derail the thread, but crime remains ultra-low there. I think it's little to do with the death penalty anyway, way more about society and values etc... but that's another discussion.

I'd tie people like this up in a shit-infested windowless room alone. Each day cutting off a different body part bit by bit until they only have left what they need to be alive. Cut out their eyes, cut off their nose and cut out their tongue. Keep their ears just so they can hear the footsteps coming each day for a new torture. Keeping them alive by feeding them cat shit. And let them go crazy though solitary confinement before eventually letting them starve to death after years of hell

This is why there was so little crime in the Middle Ages.

Jon Stewart had a funny bit about this after the Trump shooting

The guy in Dublin and this guy here (by all accounts) were already known to the local mental health services. So it’s not as though they’re being labelled “mental health” only after they do something terrible. If it turns out they did what they did because they really were mentally ill then there probably won’t be a motive. Not one that makes sense anyway. We’ll only find this out when the cases go through the courts.

I'm talking about developed Asia, hence the countries I mentioned, rather than Pakistan or Indonesia, which are a different ballpark.

I don't want to derail the thread, but crime remains ultra-low there. I think it's little to do with the death penalty anyway, way more about society and values etc... but that's another discussion.
Same for developed Gulf states. UAE and Qatar (whom are heavily based on Singapore) have little to no crime.

The guy in Dublin had serious mental health issues, had been an Irish Citizen for something like 20 years and no links to terrorist groups though.

Ironically, given the far right riots afterwards,
was that the nurse who tended to the wounded is from the Philippines, the Deliveroo driver who tackled the attacker is Brazilian and a Frenchman intervened to stop the attack and was himself injured. The five-
year-old who's thankfully done well in her recovery was Irish-born but is the child of
non-Irish parents.

The guy in Dublin and this guy here (by all accounts) were already known to the local mental health services. So it’s not as though they’re being labelled “mental health” only after they do something terrible. If it turns out they did what they did because they really were mentally ill then there probably won’t be a motive. Not one that makes sense anyway. We’ll only find this out when the cases go through the courts.

That's true. Although specifically targeting children, if that's not an act of terror I'm not sure what is and I'm baffled as to how they can come to the conclusion so quickly via the media that they weren't. It was similar with Aishling Murphy also if you remember, the true details only really came out through the courts. Horrific as they were.

Not being considered terrorism, apparently, but an asylum seeker perpetrator with that name... well, you know what the usual suspects are going to hang on to.
How is it not classed as terrorism? Literally carried out an act of terror.

Mate...

That's true. Although specifically targeting children, if that's not an act of terror I'm not sure what is and I'm baffled as to how they can come to the conclusion so quickly via the media that they weren't. It was similar with Aishling Murphy also if you remember, the true details only really came out through the courts. Horrific as they were.

I’d have to google a definition but doesn’t terrorism have to include some kind of underlying (rational) motive? Carrying out a horrific crime to further a specific goal? If someone is having a psychotic breakdown they could be targetting kids because they think they’ve been replaced by robots that are spying on them. Or something similarly bizarre. Mental health delusions are irrational, by definition.

Having said that, I do think you have a point about the way we see a circling of the wagons when an immigrant commits an atrocity. It does add fuel to the flames. But I understand why it happens, as nobody wants to give far right extremists any more justification for their stance if it can be avoided at all. Of course, it can have the opposite effect to what’s intended. Which we saw in Dublin. Where the whole shit show could maybe have been minimised with a bit more transparency? Feck knows though. They might have all kicked off regardless.

Always funny to see people get all butthurty about a small minority of dickheads on twitter speculating on the race/religion of the attacker. There's dickheads everywhere online. If your first reaction to a bloke going on a child stabbing spree is to either start speculating about the guy's religion or mouthing off about the people who do then you should give your head a wobble.

The reaction is borne by a fear and a sinking feeling, from some minorities, of the wait until we find out the perpetrators identity every time there is such an attack.

Because they know that fact may influence how they are treated on a daily basis. How the rhetoric around them by politicians and the national media is conducted.

So yes it's not the most important thing right now. But there is a reason that some people are so invested in the hope that it's not certain groups whenever there is an attack like this.

I’d have to google a definition but doesn’t terrorism have to include some kind of underlying (rational) motive? Carrying out a horrific crime to further a specific goal? If someone is having a psychotic breakdown they could be targetting kids because they think they’ve been replaced by robots that are spying on them. Or something similarly bizarre. Mental health delusions are irrational, by definition.

That's what I'm saying though. Targeting vulnerable young children is a motive in itself and an act of terror. Otherwise he would just have gone on a non specifc, random rampage. If he thought that they were robots it's still an act of terror in my book. In my opinion it's a massive grey area, and disrespectful to the victims involved that these people are being excused via the mental health system.

Terrorism has a political goal. I'm sure that might change, but apparently the police doesn't think there is one here.
Suppose it depends on the definition of terrorism, just doesn't seem right to not call it that.

How is it not classed as terrorism? Literally carried out an act of terror.
Not an act of terror is the new way of saying the suspect isn't white. It's the same with the soldier who got stabbed a few days ago, as it wasn't a white man who stabbed him it went down as "mental health", rather than terrorism.

Suppose it depends on the definition of terrorism, just doesn't seem right to not call it that.

Randomly attacking people does not constitute terrorism. Yes it can strike fear in people and communities but it still isn't terrorism. There's only one definition of terrorism and it has to have been done in pursuit of political or ideological aims, as others have said.

It could turn out in the course of the investigation that it was a terrorist act, of course, but we've no information on that right now.

Not an act of terror is the new way of saying the suspect isn't white. It's the same with the soldier who got stabbed a few days ago, as it wasn't a white man who stabbed him it went down as "mental health", rather than terrorism.
Sometimes they can be not white and have mental health issues. Not everything is of a terroristic nature and I trust the experts to be the judges of that.

That isn't true Tommy.

You're not making much sense to me I'm afraid. You seem to be implying that if the attacker was white it would have been classed as terrorism.

I don't know, I feel like one of those is worse than the other.

Also, what about people who mouth off about people mouthing off about people speculating about the guy's religion, i. e. you? And people who mouth off about people who mouth off about people mouthing off about people speculating about the guy's religion, i. e. me?
Note how I call the former dickheads and not the latter. My post was saying that these shouldn't be the main focus of the initial discussion surrounding a mass stabbing event. I might be mouthing off according to you but I'm at least trying to bring the discussion back to what's actually happened rather than using it.

You have it precisely backwards, at least traditionally. You're either deliberately turning it around, in which case you're just a troll, or you're so deep into online right-wing culture war discourse that you genuinely can't tell how shockingly untrue this is.

Does it really matter if it was an act of terrorism or not? Its just a shame he's not dead, because the little rat doesn't deserve to live. The poor little kids from dancing with joy to screaming in terror. The horrible little cnut.