Southgate replacing ETH? Yes or No?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Hardly any club management experience and what he has, is poor.

Some will say done a decent job with England but I dont think so. Still don’t know how he managed to lose that final v Italy (well I do, he’s a poor, overly cautious manager with basic tactics and nous).

Seems to say things to explain his odd decisions, then contradict himself (mind, don’t think Ten Hag is good at interviews either). For example, just recently, takes Dunk/Guehi/Konsa (mehhh) but didn’t take Branthwaite (who plays with Pickford week in, week out) because “too early”… but ok for Wharton?

I‘d rather have Tuchel … and I don’t want Tuchel anywhere near us.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Ah balls, I was putting together an eloquent, measured response to the question and you called it before I got chance to post!!

If Southgate is the best that Man Utd can hope for then god help you.
Yet you voted for him? :cool:

The “yes” vote is small but even so, hopefully mainly non United fans having a giggle.

Hal9000

Hardly any club management experience and what he has, is poor.

Some will say done a decent job with England but I dont think so. Still don’t know how he managed to lose that final v Italy (well I do, he’s a poor, overly cautious manager with basic tactics and nous).

Seems to say things to explain his odd decisions, then contradict himself (mind, don’t think Ten Hag is good at interviews either). For example, just recently, takes Dunk/Guehi/Konsa (mehhh) but didn’t take Branthwaite (who plays with Pickford week in, week out) because “too early”… but ok for Wharton?

I‘d rather have Tuchel … and I don’t want Tuchel anywhere near us.
Excatly with the amount of talent he's had over the last few years it's a failure we've not won anything and only reached 1 final.

Chairman Steve

The last time Southgate was in club management, Obama had barely been in the White House for a year.

It‘s not like he‘s Bobby Robson after his 8 years with England. Robson before that was winning a European final and coming 2nd and 3rd in the league with Ipswich.

EdinburghDevil

Really don't want Southgate.

Does feel like that's where we are headed or surely we would have had ten Hag confirmed for next season or him sacked and Tuchel or De Zerbi etc already in

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Surprise surprise, when the news cycle is low on United and there's a week gap before the euros, we see Southgate links from middling journalists. Glad they got their headline quota out. Good for them.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Really don't want Southgate.

Does feel like that's where we are headed or surely we would have had ten Hag confirmed for next season or him sacked and Tuchel or De Zerbi etc already in
Ah, feck, that's avout the only "sensible" explanation for the impasse.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Who are the 2.8% that want Southgate as our next manager?

Please name, shame, and ban them for life :)

LDUred

He's tried Club management as well though and he was quite bad at it. His most notable achievement was relegation.

Also don't really buy this argument. I mean the argument in itself has some merit. It just doesn't really fit around being a defence for Southgate, unless you're very loose with what you consider successful.

My take is that losing a Euros on your home soil when you had probably the best squad at the time, were pretty much the only team who didn't have to constantly travel around Europe for all their games, and none of the other teams were even allowed fans at your games, is not a success at all. Then at the world cup England just went out vs their first decent opponent the exact same as at every other world cup.

I also think the same argument works against him here, because I do think international tournament management is a bit more simplified in that the main thing you can do is pick your best players/team and get them to work together. Which is why subbing off Saka for Sterling and basically ignoring Rashford all tournament was an extraordinarily dumb piece of management. I would stand by what I said at the time that the Sterling sub vs France bordered on unprofessional. Like a dad picking their son over better/more dedicated players. He couldn't even argue Sterling had been good in training because he literally flew home instead of attending the training sessions. It actually still annoys me now when I think about it. It was so dumb. Unbelievably dumb.

In summary he should be jailed
Rashford is an unbelievably talented player, but he is allergic to defending and does not track back. At the highest level, you cannot carry anyone, even players who might grab you a goal.

For managers, there is always going to be a trust issue with attackers like Rashford who leave spaces in behind and who expose full backs as much as he does. Yes, you might get away with it against the mid-ranking teams, but in the crucial games against Italy and France, Marcus Rashford trotting about is suicidal.

Yes, in that tournament, Marcus Rashford looked in form and there was certainly a big argument for him starting games.

But after what we've seen this season with the way he just casually saunters and strolls about off the ball I can understand Southgate's reluctance to play him.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Would be more guaranteed than Moyes to be an awful appointment.

KjaAnd

For the love of God, no. Horrible manager. It's extremely concerning that INEOS are even entertaining the idea of employing him.

USREDEVIL

At the very least the inners should have some ype of symbol next to their names so we can easily identify them going forward...

Someone

Something
Starting to feel that there's some truth in this. Imagine after all the best in class talk we end up with fecking Southgate. The stupidity wouldn't necessarily surprise me though, I've been working in corporates all my life, and you wouldn't believe the number of absolute morons in leadership positions.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Starting to feel that there's some truth in this. Imagine after all the best in class talk we end up with fecking Southgate. The stupidity wouldn't necessarily surprise me though, I've been working in corporates all my life, and you wouldn't believe the number of absolute morons in leadership positions.
Surely we’re leaving these decisions to the likes of Berrada and Wilcox who have football experience and not Brailsford and SJR? Who they like should be irrelevant.

pascell

I just can't fathom why we're even remotely interested. I think I'd have a breakdown if we hire him after England get knocked out of the SF.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford is an unbelievably talented player, but he is allergic to defending and does not track back. At the highest level, you cannot carry anyone, even players who might grab you a goal.

For managers, there is always going to be a trust issue with attackers like Rashford who leave spaces in behind and who expose full backs as much as he does. Yes, you might get away with it against the mid-ranking teams, but in the crucial games against Italy and France, Marcus Rashford trotting about is suicidal.

Yes, in that tournament, Marcus Rashford looked in form and there was certainly a big argument for him starting games.

But after what we've seen this season with the way he just casually saunters and strolls about off the ball I can understand Southgate's reluctance to play him.
Yeah I'm not interested in pandering to yet another excuse to slag off Rashford based on something that never even happened.

Southgate could have just not subbed Saka off for Sterling.

Subbing off the best player on the pitch for someone I awful form who flew home instead of doing anything to prepare for the game, in a world cup quarter final against France, is, however you dress it up, a shocking piece of management.

Sometimes the difference between a good amd bad manager is as simple as not doing stuff like that.

pascell

Unfortunately, I agree. Seems like there's been a brief of some sorts today.
Surely we’re leaving these decisions to the likes of Berrada and Wilcox who have football experience and not Brailsford and SJR? Who they like should be irrelevant.
Sounds like the decision is being driven by Ashworth.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Unfortunately, I agree. Seems like there's been a brief of some sorts today.

Sounds like the decision is being driven by Ashworth.
The other two has got to disagree and stand by it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Let's face it, if Southgate is who they want, no other outcome matters. That fact alone tells me we're fecked anyway in the long run. How you can have a solid list of managers available, yet want Southgate? Tells me there will be a lot more questionable shit over the years to come.

thisisnottaken1

Same here, unfortunately. It’d be such an uninspired decision but typical of us post-2013.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This is a joke surely. Suppose this is what happens when you get a British billionaire running the show. His obsessed with British players and managers. Best in class was obvs a lie if this is what they’re waiting for. I’m hoping we keep ETH anyway. Their ain’t anyone better right now and this guy is the worse of the lot

lex talionis

It is a no for me. There is nothing in Southgate's resume or persona that suggests he would be an improvement over ten Hag.

OldSchoolManc

And the Southgate genius has gone behind against Iceland.
There’s got to be no truth in this

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is a joke surely. Suppose this is what happens when you get a British billionaire running the show. His obsessed with British players and managers. Best in class was obvs a lie if this is what they’re waiting for. I’m hoping we keep ETH anyway. Their ain’t anyone better right now and this guy is the worse of the lot
Why are you so wound up? Relax, it's being reported by middling journalists who don't get everything right. It's just a standard news cycle ahead of the euros. We could all predict this sort of narrative when news is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.