Southgate replacing ETH? Yes or No?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stadjer

100% yes. Give the ETH outers what they want.
I dont think that even they want Southgate. A lot of the ETH outers have just been screaming to get ETH out. They arent offering any options to replace him but they do recognise that Southgate isnt the solution.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
100% yes. Give the ETH outers what they want.
While I agree it would be an effective "be careful what you wish for" lesson, there surely has to be an alternative somewhere in between keeping ETH and hiring Southgate.

Dobba

I dont think that even they want Southgate. A lot of the ETH outers have just been screaming to get ETH out. They arent offering any options to replace him but they do recognise that Southgate isnt the solution.
They want him out, they'll get whatever INEOS wants. If that is Southgate, let them have him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They arent offering any options to replace him but they do recognise that Southgate isnt the solution.
Well, many have offered options (ranging from realistic to plain stupid).

But two things:

It really isn't the job of ordinary fans to come up with replacements for ETH. And - yes - in my opinion it is perfectly legit to be "ETH out" (i.e. to be of the opinion that he deserves the boot) without having a brilliant succession plan all thought out.

And, secondly: it's very obvious that hardly anyone fancies Southgate.

If we did a poll on here with the following alternatives:

A) Sack ETH and replace him Southgate

B) Keep ETH

...the result wouldn't be anywhere near a split down the middle, it would be a landslide for B.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They want him out, they'll get whatever INEOS wants.
That much is clear.

But this doesn't invalidate the opinion of United fans who want to get rid of ETH.

To me, it's like this:

I would lose just about all positivity I may have about INEOS (and it's not that much to begin with) if they actively pursue Southgate as their #1 target.

And that goes whether they land him or not.

Meaning: if ETH stays because INEOS couldn't land Southgate, well! That would be a very depressing scenario to me.

Whether it would be more depressing than actually landing Southgate, I'm not sure actually - but it hardly matters.

bitcoin

If Southgate is a smart man, he should be turning the United role down.

It will be another Moyes situation that will result in him getting sacked within 12 months. The fans are overwhelmingly against his appointment, and the moment results begin to turn (which they will because he is a shite manager), they will come down on him like a tonne of bricks.

Either he risks the very strong possibility of being out of work in 2026 with a ruined reputation that will hinder further opportunities, or he stays in his well-paid part-time England job.

If he realises his own limits, I know which one I would choose were I in his shoes.

Reactions: 711

Who gives a...

The only good thing about being linked with Southgate is it makes every other option and alternative far more appealing

theatreofdreams777

Why this stupid Southgate talk won't die? If Ashworth really admires him then he better join FA again and we find another sporting director maybe a more continental one.

MyBloodIsRed

You thought this season was hard to watch!!!! If we get Garth we are proper fecked

Irwin99

Can’t this rumour die ffs!
I'm sick to death of seeing it. If he does get in and things don't get off to a great start or there are a lot of bumps in the road you have so much potential for unrest and anger among fans who are lumbered with a defensive manager who has zero charisma, no club credentials, and this will result in no faith or trust in Ineos. It just seems so wrong to even consider this.

MyBloodIsRed

The reactions are way over the top. He's done an excellent job for England.
International is quite different than managing a club. You’ve got all the best players from an entire country and just have to get them to work together during a cup competition.
and still he’s one nothing with arguably the most talented England squad ever.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nah he's shit. Best England team relative to their competition in my lifetime and he's broadly a bottler. Shit coach too.

Besides, even if he did do a good job for England, it means feck all. The International game is completely different to club management.

Irwin99

I don't think they are at all and there have been lots have managers who have done well for national teams and it hasn't translated to club success. If he wins the Euros with easily one of the most talented England teams i've seen it won't do anything to change my mind. David Moyes has a better club management CV and I don't think we want to go down that road again.

The very best case with Southgate i think is a couple of seasons hitting top 4 with dull football before things fall apart. It seems a very Ole appointment in that respect, which isn't really good enough for a club with title and champions league aspirations.
Worst case you have a defensive manager for a club renowned for attacking football traditions and an instant lack of rapport with the fans who have no faith in the project and things will get toxic very quickly.

padzilla

Hipster
He should have won two or three tournaments with England by now, given the wealth of talent he has to choose from, it's like shooting fish in a barrel... with a rocket launcher.
The fact he has yet to win a tournament with that squad is a joke, to be honest.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The issue is not that he hasn't won the WC or Euros with England. International tournaments are tough to win and not winning one isn't a blot on one's resume. The issue is that he has a shit style of football and hasn't managed a club in a 100 years. It beggars belief that INEOS thinks he can come in and steer Manchester United. Even the thought of it is bonkers.

Bobade

He should have won two or three tournaments with England by now, given the wealth of talent he has to choose from, it's like shooting fish in a barrel... with a rocket launcher.
The fact he has yet to win a tournament with that squad is a joke, to be honest.
This England squad is so overhyped it's unreal. And people carry on like he's been getting eliminated in the group stages. He's gone deep in tournaments. Deeper than anyone else since 66.

People need to stop carrying on like he's taken peak Barca to the Sunday league and lost.

romufc

Can't think of anything worse to happen to this club, it would really set us back as well with how defensive he plays
Maybe that is the style of play INEOS want. Brexit football. Sit back and counter.

Maguire will probably be reinstated as captain too.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If he wins the euros will it change anyone’s mind about him? If he was an excellent manager he should be winning stuff with the embarrassment of riches England have. Or at least playing some very exciting football. I like that he dropped Rashford and Grealish though, at least he has eyes.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He really hasn't.

I have actually defended him on occasion, because he arguably (at least) hasn't done a positively shite job.

But why the feck would anyone be pursuing him for the United job? He has done absolutely nothing to make him an even remotely plausible candidate.

Especially - especially - if the idea is that we have now, finally, turned a corner and are trying to implement a less archaic structure where the "manager" (i.e. head coach) is a much less influential figure.

What's the idea? Ashworth (or whoever the feck is acting as our DOF) considers Southgate a grand tactician? A brilliant coach?

He's a big name in football, because he's the England manager (the England manager is per default a big name in football).

He's the sort of target Woodward would've had his eyes on - for all the wrong reasons.

I hope to hell we have moved past that mindset.

OldSchoolManc

Too many Liverpool lovers in mainstream media are willing this to happen.
Surely smoke without fire?
INEOS need only to look on Red Cafe to be sure that Southgate would be an awful appointment

AndySmith1990

INEOS need only to look on Red Cafe to be sure that Southgate would be an awful appointment
If Ineos are going to pay attention to redcafe then we'll be no better off than we were with Woodward.

Crimson King

If he wins the euros will it change anyone’s mind about him? If he was an excellent manager he should be winning stuff with the embarrassment of riches England have. Or at least playing some very exciting football. I like that he dropped Rashford and Grealish though, at least he has eyes.
No. Winning at international football doesn't necessarily translate into club success. Löw has won a world cup, but I wouldn't have him either.

Edit: yes dropped them but took one injured LB and 3 strikers when he only plays with 1. Toney is basically there in case there's a penalty shootout. Took Dunk over Branthwaite...the squad selection has put me off even more, to be honest.

romufc

Ahh man what excuses will we have when he doesn't do well.

At least with managers at United we can use "Poor quality", "Needs better players".

He has been in charge of England for 8 years and he has no style of play, that too with WC players in most areas of the pitch.

The only position we struggle to find WC talent is LB and CB.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Ah balls, I was putting together an eloquent, measured response to the question and you called it before I got chance to post!!

If Southgate is the best that Man Utd can hope for then god help you.

Swedish_Plumber

‘Best in class’ would be out the window very quickly if this was to happen. Don’t really believe it anyways, just the clickbait media waiting for the euros to start.

Fooza

I'll stop watching football

but

I'll be on here for the entertainment because it's going to be mayhem. Forget the football

romufc

Yeah worrying to see regular posters in yes vote
If you think Ten Hag is bad... I am sure they cant wait to see what is in store if Southgate gets the job.

Maguire Captain will be his first move I reckon.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
If Southgate is a smart man, he should be turning the United role down.

It will be another Moyes situation that will result in him getting sacked within 12 months. The fans are overwhelmingly against his appointment, and the moment results begin to turn (which they will because he is a shite manager), they will come down on him like a tonne of bricks.

Either he risks the very strong possibility of being out of work in 2026 with a ruined reputation that will hinder further opportunities, or he stays in his well-paid part-time England job.

If he realises his own limits, I know which one I would choose were I in his shoes.
Well that's a different take on it I must admit. I don't want Southgate but if he does come I will hope we're wrong and he succeeds.

dutchred

If we appoint Southgate I would seriously consider not supporting United ( or watching English football) after more that 65 years and concentrate on my Dutch team

OmarUnited4ever

Interesting to see Southgate is on top of the list of managers INEOS want, if the news are to be believed.

I don't rate him of course so I would not want him appointed but if it's who INEOS want then we have to see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.