Southgate replacing ETH? Yes or No?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get him! He is the perfect fit for this club and will usher in a new era of Banter FC. Just perfect!

If there’s a single United fan in that yes vote, they need to be relegated with City

Great audition tonight, he's Moyes, LVG, Jose Ole and ETH in one package.

Like I’ve said before. He’d get us relegated with the team we have.

It'd be worrying enough if he was actually given any sort of consideration, never mind actually given the job, surely those in charge couldn't be that daft.

I think appointing Southgate would be the tipping point for me, I’d actually call it a day.. that’s essentially self sabotage, and I couldn’t forgive it

I think appointing Southgate would be the tipping point for me, I’d actually call it a day.. that’s essentially self sabotage, and I couldn’t forgive it

I think it would be the same for many fans. It would be sheer hopelessness.

I would rather wear a Liverpool shirt or Manchester City shirt than i would hope that Southgate will be our new manager.

Us appointing Southgate followed by Man City getting away with their cheating. At least I'd suddenly have a lot more free time.

If either of those things happen this season I do think I'd have to retire from watching football. At least Premier League football.

Southgate’s been mentioned a lot. Targeting players like Branthwaite.
Journalists know nothing. Same as when Berrada announced.

Branthwaite isn’t being considered by big clubs because he’s English, it’s because he’s decent.

Ive no doubt the club has talked to managers (any big club coming to the end of a poor season does/should) but theres a vacuum on United at the moment compared to what’s normally about and media are just doing 2+2=5 to keep their article/post quota up.

INEOS have to be smart enough to know the backlash they'd have on their hands if this were to happen. No way I see him getting this job. They'd be finished in the eyes of the fans before they even started.

If they dare bring in that idiot I won’t watch Utd again till he is sacked. The most ineffective footballer and ”manager” I have ever seen.

Looks like I'm not the only one quitting football if we get Southgate. :lol: :lol:

I guess I'd have more money and time, glass half full and that.

INEOS have to be smart enough to know the backlash they'd have on their hands if this were to happen. No way I see him getting this job. They'd be finished in the eyes of the fans before they even started.
That's the thing. At the first sign of trouble with a string of bad performances/defeats the fans will be in a bad mood because they never had any faith in the project in the first place. I cannot see a rapport developing there at all when nobody wants him.

I wouldn't say it was impossible or even extremely unlikely for Southgate to get United top 4 if the transfers are good and he just plays dull defensive football, but United should really be looking for the best and someone who's going to take on the elite club managers in football (although a few of them are leaving the premiership with Klopp and Pep soon departing). 2 years of giving Southgate "a chance" feels like a dire prospect.

Would be just like us to hire Southgate, only for City to then getting relegated and Pep leaving. Perfect timing.

He really is a clueless idiot. He's around Chris Coleman level.
Club wise, fair. But Intl… harsh?

Coleman got us to qualifying and a Euros semi with one great player, a few good ones and a few average/journeyman.

Southgate has some of the best players in the world and even if not, they’re all top/very good PL quality, with tons of top flight experience, multi Intl caps and experience of winning (bar Kane obvs). Has now, has throughout his England career and wasted it.

Only positive for Southgate is that he can build some harmony apparently in the squad, given he’s English and has past relations with some figures at the club, players and executives.

But getting him in would just mean that we forget about a sliver of hope that we can play exciting and modern football.

International football is different but if he’s going to be playing this crap football with the all star team he has, I cannot bet that he’ll be a completely different manager at a club. He’s a mid level manager, with no legit PL experience atleast in its modern form. This rumour itself seems so dumb if true.

I would assume that the new owners are probably just wolves in sheep clothing if this happens. Not long when Ineos’s name will be added to the glazers out slogan.

Yeah I'm not interested in pandering to yet another excuse to slag off Rashford based on something that never even happened.

Southgate could have just not subbed Saka off for Sterling.

Subbing off the best player on the pitch for someone I awful form who flew home instead of doing anything to prepare for the game, in a world cup quarter final against France, is, however you dress it up, a shocking piece of management.

Sometimes the difference between a good amd bad manager is as simple as not doing stuff like that.

I agree. Southgate has definintely made mistakes. I just equally don't pander to this, 'Gareth Southgate is a terrible manager' brigade, because he can clearly manage to a decent level based on what he has achieved with England.

Yes, even taking into consideration the result today.

He's got a 56% tournament win record, second only to Sir Alf Ramsey.

Has he underachieved with the resources available? Probably has, yeah. But he's still done pretty well and uniting English club players to consistently reach latter stages is no mean feat.

The biggest problem Southgate has had is in beating the big sides, but that is a problem England have always had in recent times, no matter the quality of players like Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Ferdinand, Campbell, Beckham, Owen, Shearer, and now the current crop of hopefuls, they have all failed up to this point. Who exactly could put that right? The elite level managers, like Pep Guardiola, will probably never even come into the reckoning.

As many people have pointed out, England's achilles heel is the mentality of the players. Generally speaking, they have bottled the big moments.

Can genuinely imagine Ratcliffe being stoked at the idea of getting this clown in
Hopefully the staff he's hired tell him what a bad idea that is!

With him as manager we will end in third division. He is, together with Harry Potter, the worst possible option.

The 34 people who voted yes, must be opposition fans.

Last edited:
I agree. Southgate has definintely made mistakes. I just equally don't pander to this, 'Gareth Southgate is a terrible manager' brigade, because he can clearly manage to a decent level based on what he has achieved with England.

Yes, even taking into consideration the result today.

He's got a 56% tournament win record, second only to Sir Alf Ramsey.

Has he underachieved with the resources available? Probably has, yeah. But he's still done pretty well and uniting English club players to consistently reach latter stages is no mean feat.

The biggest problem Southgate has had is in beating the big sides, but that is a problem England have always had in recent times, no matter the quality of players like Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Ferdinand, Campbell, Beckham, Owen, Shearer, and now the current crop of hopefuls, they have all failed up to this point. Who exactly could put that right? The elite level managers, like Pep Guardiola, will probably never even come into the reckoning.

As many people have pointed out, England's achilles heel is the mentality of the players. Generally speaking, they have bottled the big moments.

England under Southgate has won against the teams they're expected to win against and lost against the teams you expect them to lose against. Coincidence/luck of the draw decides if you head out early or not in the tournaments.

Southgates biggest problem is that on paper he has one of the best overall squads in the world, and he's had it for quite some time, but it hardly looks like it on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.