Southgate replacing ETH? Yes or No?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

I feel like some of the criticism of Southgate is over the top and that he actually deserves a fair bit of respect for what he's achieved in terms of placings and how he's managed the intense levels of scrutiny that come with his job. He's clearly a relatable and intelligent coach who has the backing of the players, which is no mean feat in itself. But a lot of the criticism misses a very salient point...

International football is a completely different ball game to club football. The nature of the competition, and the eclectic composition of the side, dictates that tactics will naturally be more conservative, such as those Southgate uses. You can't expect players who don't ordinarily play alongside each other to gel, so the style of play will naturally be more pragmatic. That is what you see with England. There's no frills because the manager recognizes that imposing a freewheeling style of play is not feasible within a limited timeframe, and with players who are most likely frazzled from their club campaigns. The more coaches meddle and try to innovate, the more likely it is they will fail.

Pretty much any side that has been successful in international football has played a cagey style of football. Italy have achieved so much internationally simply because a cautious style of play naturally suits them. Spain were also successful playing boring football, ditto Argentina.
:nono:

Kaos

:wenger:
If this is remotely true then we're better off leaving Ashworth in his garden and looking elsewhere. Perhaps importing an elite European sporting director instead.

But I suspect its been a slow day for Jamie Jackson at the office.

USREDEVIL

I feel like some of the criticism of Southgate is over the top and that he actually deserves a fair bit of respect for what he's achieved in terms of placings and how he's managed the intense levels of scrutiny that come with his job. He's clearly a relatable and intelligent coach who has the backing of the players, which is no mean feat in itself. But a lot of the criticism misses a very salient point...

International football is a completely different ball game to club football. The nature of the competition, and the eclectic composition of the side, dictates that tactics will naturally be more conservative, such as those Southgate uses. You can't expect players who don't ordinarily play alongside each other to gel, so the style of play will naturally be more pragmatic. That is what you see with England. There's no frills because the manager recognizes that imposing a freewheeling style of play is not feasible within a limited timeframe, and with players who are most likely frazzled from their club campaigns. The more coaches meddle and try to innovate, the more likely it is they will fail.

Pretty much any side that has been successful in international football has played a cagey style of football. Italy have achieved so much internationally simply because a cautious style of play naturally suits them. Spain were also successful playing boring football, ditto Argentina.
:nono:

colombianmancunian

Him and Harry Potter are mediocrity incarnate. Getting either of those, will be like getting Moyes again, with the difference that this time it will happen with worse players. We will get relegated!

Jund

Remember Moyes against Fulham. Do you want to see this again?

Chipper

Adulterer.
The longer this review is dragging on with ETH, the more chance I think one of 3 things will happen:

1 - ETH stays
2 - It's Southgate and was decided a while ago, the review isn't real
3 - It's De Zerbi, the review isn't real - going back a couple of weeks there were rumours he'd signed for someone already but it couldn't be revealed yet

Watch it be Poch or Tuchel now :lol:

Born2Lose

If it's a straight choice between choosing Southgate or keeping ten Hag, then yes I would make the change. I voted for last resort.

Tactically he's weak, but on the plus side we wouldn't have anymore of this "Rashy FC" facade and I have to believe he'd be fairer with guys like Amad.

Rockets Redglare

If it's a straight choice between choosing Southgate or keeping ten Hag, then yes I would make the change. I voted for last resort.

Tactically he's weak, but on the plus side we wouldn't have anymore of this "Rashy FC" facade and I have to believe he'd be fairer with guys like Amad.
I disagree with that, Southgate has shown while England manager he has favourites who will be selected no matter how poor their form has been.

Just because he doesn’t seem to rate Rashford (who I don’t think he’s ever rated even prior to this poor season) it doesn’t mean he wouldn’t give players like Maguire and Shaw preferential treatment.

romufc

I cant believe there is even 10% of fans that would take him as manager.

When you talk about everything you dont want in a Manutd manager, he has it:

1. Play favourites
2. Hyporcite
3. No style of play
4. Defensive manager

padzilla

Hipster
It would be a massively unpopular, and not to mention depressing, appointment.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Long way of saying that Southgate would be woefully unqualified to be allowed anywhere near the United job even if he'd been a resounding success in international management, which he hasn't.

I wouldn't even take Loew, Deschamps or Scaloni and they've won World Cups.

BigRon1985

As Southgate has gone full tonto with his squad selection it means he's coming here doesn't it!!! :eek:

wildflower2007

I would despair if we got Southgate. Its one thing managing England on a part time basis, but one of the world's top teams on a weekly basis? Not a chance.

It would tell me that Ineos don't have a fekin clue and all hope of them turning things around would go straight out the window.

I seriously can't think of anyone worse than Southgate taking over. I would rather we stuck with ETH if that was the only other option.

Feck me. I'd rather have Harry Redknapp than this clown.

jeepers

Gashworth should keep to gardening if this report is true. Him and Southgate can feck right off.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I expect they discounted this interpretation because it makes zero sense.
7 June 2004. The last day Sir Alex Ferguson managed this football club. We haven't seen one since.

Superden

i actually think someone with a safety first mindset is just what we need when you consider how open weve been for the last few seasons. Hes also clearly very good with players and team morale. and yes hes a company man and a diplomat, do we really need more off the pitch histrionics and drama when weve got a whole new team behind the scenes.

im not saying give him a 10 yr contract, but its not like theres other genius level candidates out there.

of course engerland fans have expected him to have won more and smashed everyone playing a 325 formation, but thats not the real world. yesterday, there was lots of talk of this england team having the best attacking players for 50 years. which is utter tripe.

Castia

Alarm bells well and truly ringing if their idea of success relies on Gareth fecking Southgate

What a joke.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If we only we had some way of knowing how he'd do as a club coach, like if he'd managed in the premier league or something. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.