Sofyan Amrabat | To Fenerbahçe SK pending medical

What are we waiting for? To see if we can sign Ugarte?

I don't even know if Amrabat is still technically here on loan or not

It'll probably depend on whether we can offload some others. If we offload McTominay to help finance Ugarte, we may still be stuck with Casemeiro as expensive back-up. In that case, it's hard to see how we'll be able to afford Amrabat.

I don’t see why on earth we would keep him. He’s not a great passer, he doesn’t have quick feet and he’s not very mobile or strong. Just a very average player who at his best is a decent circulator of the ball in the middle of the park with no real qualities of genuine note. Should be playing for a smaller club.

Edit : On second thought if we can’t buy another midfielder who can do a job there then I’d rather keep him over Casmeiro if he’d be on low wages. Ideally we would have someone we can promote from within or the second midfielder we sign would be able to play there when Ugarte is unavailable but if it’s Casemiro vs Amarabt then I’d go for the latter as the cheap and less legs are gone option.

Last edited:
I don’t see why on earth we would keep him. He’s not a great passer, he doesn’t have quick feet and he’s not very mobile or strong. Just a very average player who at his best is a decent circulator of the ball in the middle of the park with no real qualities of genuine note. Should be playing for a smaller club.
Yeah got to say I agree with this, he isn't a DM or an AM so he'd be competing for minutes at present with Mainoo, McTominay, Mount and Eriksen. That's 5 players for 1 position

He needs to be brought back. He was great towards the end of the season when he finally started playing in his normal position as a DM and he was one of the primary reasons we won the cup final. If Casemiro played instead of him, there is no doubt in my mind that we lose that game.

As a cheap back-up to Ugarte (get it done, Dan) I'd take him provided the wage is appropriately modest. He's nowhere near as good but sort of fills a similar role which I think is key for back-ups. You can't be changing your whole system around every time someone gets injured.

Think we'll have to sign him for the squad depth and in case the Ugarte deal falls through.

Is there any news on this - all seems to have gone quiet. Can remember what the actual fees to sign him were?

That should be a sign of at least one incoming. But could also be a sign of none leaving at the moment :confused:

The right decision considering his contributions last season.

He was underused by Ten Hag but it shouldn’t be difficult finding a player who can contribute either the same or more on a free / loan.

I’m a fan of these ‘shot to nothing’ deals as depth. Yes his loan fee was quite high, but he was essentially on trial for a year and didn’t show enough to justify paying his buyout fee.

Good, he's a €15m player and that's the max we should be paying. I'd take him back for that kind of fee.

Surely we'll have two CM incoming then?
Having 3 of Casemiro, Mount, McTominay and Eriksen plus some youngster as back ups is not good, but kind of OK. And Amrabat wouldn't make it significantly better.

I'd love it, if we signed two cms, but I think the defence is more in need of an overhaul and this is what we seem to prioritize.

One good game in the cup final was enough to secure a new contract for the manager and to still be interested in signing a player way out of his depth.

Yeah at 20 million INEOS were never gonna take up that option.

It wouldn't surprise anyone if he returns for a lot less than that later in the window, but for now I think the club have bigger priorities. Also at 28 years old he might not fit into the criteria that INEOS seem to be setting.

Thankfully, sense has prevailed. He’s not good enough for a top team, even as a backup.

Least shocking news in history. If we’re struggling to agree a fee with PSG for Ugarte and focused on an outgoing in midfield to make that one happen this was always going to be a no go.

He’s shit and if they’re considering it even for free then Joel Glazer needs to wrestle back power

Regardless of the price we could get, he’s not good enough. Trying to justify signing a player that looked really poor last season - and there were mitigating factors - just because he might be cheap is mental. It’s not Bargain Hunt.

Having 3 of Casemiro, Mount, McTominay and Eriksen plus some youngster as back ups is not good, but kind of OK. And Amrabat wouldn't make it significantly better.

I'd love it, if we signed two cms, but I think the defence is more in need of an overhaul and this is what we seem to prioritize.

These options aren't good enough I feel. I hope we go for one player able to dictate the game from deep and is confident on the ball and one that that will do the dirty work (Ugarte)

Sabitzer is better and available for a similar fee last summer and we said no, so I’m glad it’s a no here.

These options aren't good enough I feel. I hope we go for one player able to dictate the game from deep and is confident on the ball and one that that will do the dirty work (Ugarte)
I'd hope so too. But Amrabat wouldn't be the player to dictate from deep anyway. He could've maybe been the understudy for Ugarte, if we were able to sell Casemiro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solius
ETH’s assessment of players really is absolutely shocking.

Amrabat is complete shite and has no business being at a club like United.
He did well in the final after Amrabat complained he wasn't being used correctly. Just all round poor from ten Hag.