Sofyan Amrabat | To Fenerbahçe SK pending medical

Whatever reason? The reasoning was he was shit.
Exactly. It means we have standards, which is a very good thing. If Sabitzer didn’t meet it (which became kind of arguable after his showings last season at Dortmund and Austria NT), then Amrabat for sure didn’t.

In the last 24 hours, we have welcomed Sancho back and now Amrabat may be staying.

Back to the reality of mediocrity.

We’d be absolute fools to keep him. Raise the bar ffs.

Does signing him mean we are not not going for Ugarte?

If so, then rather not have him.

IMO it depends on if Casemiro is staying or leaving. Either:

#1 We sign Ugarte and keep Casemiro as backup (Amrabat leaves)
#2 We sign Ugarte and Casemiro leagves (Amrabat stays as backup)
#3 We keep Case and keep Amrabat as backup
#4 We sign Amra and no backup

I think #2 is the most likely right now.

Last edited:

#5 We sign Ugarte and another DM, without keeping Amrabat, Casemiro leaves to Saudi.

He's slower than Maguire. No thanks. Gave us a great game in the final, but we shouldn't be signing him.

I always suspected that he was going to be back if we are planning on moving Casemiro. Still think we'll only trigger the option if we get a conformation of a Saudi offer for Case.

I think Case/him and Ugarte/someone will be our two defensive midfield options for next season.

Keeping Casemiro as backup would be disaster for everyone. He really needs to go.

He’s terrible but he was born in the Netherlands, played at youth level for the Netherlands and has Eredivisie experience. So good chance we will want him as he ticks a lot of boxes

I thought we were looking at another season loan for him.
That would make sense if we brought in a top DM and got rid of Casemiro and we eased Collyer into the first team squad this season.

We need two dms, im not against him being the cheap backup to Ugarte.

Exactly. It means we have standards, which is a very good thing. If Sabitzer didn’t meet it (which became kind of arguable after his showings last season at Dortmund and Austria NT), then Amrabat for sure didn’t.
When we played Sabitzer in the deeper role, he basically did a McTominay impression and was Mr. Invisible. It was only when we played him in a more attacking role for a few weeks that he looked better (which is also where he played this year for Dortmund and Austria).

Amrabat was always more involved, and while he did have some absolute shockers he also had some much better performances than Sabitzer. It also should be noted that Amrabat had a much harder job since we were using that suicidal tactic of one midfielder last season, something that I doubt any midfielder in the world could have done consistently. In the final four games when we used a more sensible set-up he had three of his better games (and one of his absolute worst to be fair).

That's not to say that I want to keep him. I would prefer better. But I don't think he's as bad as people make out, so if we keep him and play with an actual midfield I would hope he'll be a decent squad player.

12M? Keep as squad player. Our only midfield that can properly defend if he stay deep. It's a useful option to have playing against big team. But playing against smaller team where we are expected to attack he should be on the bench.

Didn't have a fair run of games. He even played as a full back for some of it, then went to AFCON, and then just featured sporadically here and there.

For 12 million and reasonable wages, he could be a good squad player. I'd keep him, but only if it doesn't stop Ugarte's deal. Both would be good cover for the midfield. Needless to say for all of this to happen Casemiro needs to be sold and that doesn't look very likely.

There's no way that we keep Casemiro as a backup. He's the highest paid player at the club, apparently on 350k a week. If he doesn't leave, we can't sign a replacement, the money isn't there.

Keeping Amrabat would be hugely disappointing! Nowhere near good enough, despite the praise he got for the final. So slow he's a disaster waiting to happen.

He wouldn't even start consistently for Spurs, and only performed towards the end of the season when his contract was coming to an end.

If we sign only one DM and Casemiro does leave, he should stay. We need depth in that area of the pitch and as a 6 he's decent as long as he's not expected to cover half the pitch on his own.

If he could regularly put in performances like the one against City then it would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately he hasn’t shown anything other than being a very average DM unsuited to the pace of the PL.

I think he’s a far better player than made out on here. Would happily take him for a cheap price.

In an ideal world we don’t sign him, let Eriksen, McTominay, and Casemiro (and Mason Mount) all go and revamp the midfield entirely with more appropriate profiles.

But we’re on a budget and we need active suitors for all of them. So only one or two will probably not be here by the end of the summer.

he wasn’t good enough, end of. We can’t use the excuse that he’s cheap as a reason to keep him. I’d rather give some academy players a chance.
if we can’t use that £12m effectively, let’s use it on a quality loan that we can possibly make permanent the following year (similar to what we tried with Amrabat, just with better scouting!)

Proved in the Fa cup final that he can be very useful when used in his preferred position and we’re playing compact.

If we think Collyer is almost ready, I’m not sure a permanent transfer is necessary. Maybe another loan so we’ve got some experience in midfield.

I guess Amrabat is about Europa League level so it would help this season with fixture congestion.

Going off his few final appearances for the team I would take a chance on signing him permanently if the fee was reduced to under £15m.

In an ideal world we don’t sign him, let Eriksen, McTominay, and Casemiro (and Mason Mount) all go and revamp the midfield entirely with more appropriate profiles.

But we’re on a budget and we need active suitors for all of them. So only one or two will probably not be here by the end of the summer.

Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount and Amrabat was the midfield revamp.

Now the revamp needs revamped. It's been a shit revamping to be fair and we have to get a lot better at revampening areas of the team. And quick.

Be interesting to see what the club do. Casemiro leaving being replaced by either João Neves (too expensive at £100mil) or Ugarte (more affordable at £50mil) seems most realistic option.

As we have not been linked with any other central midfielders by multiple sources, I'm guessing we may keep Amrabat. Seeing as he's out of contract next summer, fiorentina will want a fee for him so a loan isn't feasible as he will be free to sign for someone on Jan 1st 2025.

As a squad option for £12mil ? I would keep him. The entire team were awful last season and hes a different profile to Ugarte as he is a DM who would prefer to sit Infront of the defence and screen. When ETH actually used him in that role I.e. Cup final, I thought he did well.

I have a feeling our transfers are being dictated by fees and he's cheap (and presumably can haggle down because of contract).

Sounds like we're spending the bulk of our budget on 2 CBs and ST. Greenwood aside it doesn't look like we're getting any big fees on sales (Sancho who knows now). So sort of not surprising we're cheaping out on DM and were linked to loan signings.

I'd rather we sign a young promising DM instead, alongside Ugarte.

For a cheap fee I'd take him for depth. But I guess what I still understand is we passed the chance to sign Sabitzer in favour of him, but he is no better than Sabitzer.

Did well towards the tail end of the season.

New signings tend to take time to settle in, which is especially difficult when you're barely playing. I say sign him up given the low price, can't imagine it'll be too difficult to move him on next year if it doesn't work out.

So apparently we paid a 10m€ loan fee, the option to buy was 25m€. At least that was reported then.

If there's truth to possibly decreasing the option to 15m€, I honestly think it will be hard to find a better profile for that price, unless the scouting/DoF has a secret card to play.