Sofyan Amrabat | To Fenerbahçe SK pending medical

Did well towards the tail end of the season.

New signings tend to take time to settle in, which is especially difficult when you're barely playing. I say sign him up given the low price, can't imagine it'll be too difficult to move him on next year if it doesn't work out.

This is my feeling. Played out of position a lot and took time to settle. Difficult to assess. That said, if Ten Hag plays the suicidal approach to midfield next season we need someone quicker and more mobile. Same with Casemiro.

Why dont we extend the loan for another season. we need cover for Number 6. He appears too slow and ineffective as a starter but can help at times.

Why dont we extend the loan for another season. we need cover for Number 6. He appears too slow and ineffective as a starter but can help at times.
Because he's in his final year I believe, no chance they'd agree for us to run down his contract.

I’d take him for squad depth for £15 million or so. So get rid of Casemiro and bring in Ugarte and that looks better already really.

If we manage to sell Cas for a fee in the region of £20M, that means we get some fee plus get rid of his huge salary, with that, there might be space to sign Ugarte, Amra and perhaps another midfielder.

This is assuming we sell Cas for a decent fee which I feel is not possible.

Because he's in his final year I believe, no chance they'd agree for us to run down his contract.
In which case 14m is stupid. They can take 10 max.

So pay another £8.5m for a extra loan year when we can buy him for £12m.

1. Why would Fiorentina do that in the last year of his contract?

2. Why would we?

That business model doesn't really work for anyone.

We shouldn't be keeping players like Amrabat, Lindelöf, Maguire etc. Players everybody knows who are not good enough.

No. Mediocre player not suited to the EPL

Would be a waste of money. Proved all season he wasn't good enough for us.

Amrabat first season on the League. Thought that player always get a leeway on 1st season?

Evra and Vidic were quoted pretty often.

Last edited:
If it means I never have to watch Scott McTominay attempt to be a midfielder again I'm all for it. Amrabat and Ugarte be a good start.

I'd be happy to see him come back for another loan. I wouldn't be keen to see him contracted.

If he performed in his second season then fair enough give him a deal.

The man was playing left back at times! He had a good close to the season and played so well in the final. There is a player there and we need squad depth. We can’t always by £80-£100m signings.

It seems pretty obvious that we want to sell Casemiro and bring in a defensive midfielder, lets say Ugarte. But we would still need another DM for backup, and Amrabat has had a year to grow into the league and shown signs of improvement. For 15 million and a moderate salary, I would say that he would be a decent option. Does anyone have a better suggestion for a backup DM that price? Ndidi could have been an option as a free agent, but has signed a new contract with Leicester. Guido Rodriguez could be an option as a free agent, but has been strongly linked to Barcelona.

The man was playing left back at times! He had a good close to the season and played so well in the final. There is a player there and we need squad depth. We can’t always by £80-£100m signings.

While his performance in the FA Cup final was very good, it doesn't reflect how United would expect him to play in most games, where they should dominate possession and, as a result, will likely be more susceptible to counter-attacks. When we saw him in that role during the season, he was woeful, although admittedly, ETH's tactics weren't conducive to defensive midfielders performing well. Regardless, I don't see why United should take the chance and sign him on a permanent deal. He is physically slow and a liability in possession, given how many touches he needs to control and move the ball.

Are you saying that using Vidic and Evra as example for players new to the league and need to adapt is silly and laughable??
No I’m saying we have had a season of watching Amrabat and if you think he’s in the Evra and Vidic mould where he’s had a poor start to his United career but destined to be a great signing then I suggest choose another sport .

Would likely keep him for £12m as the other option is try replace him with someone else which would likely cost £20-£30m.

Why is it taking so fecking long?

Are they interviewing other candidates like they did with Erik? Waiting on Southgate, again, who is a candidate for DMF, as well? :lol: :lol: :confused:

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how much he costs; he isn't good enough. If we sign him he'll last a season before were trying to shift him on to Cagliari for a loss.

I don't think Amrabat was quite as bad as some make out. Sure he wasn't great either but there are many variables in my opinion. The biggest being our set up and space we left in the centre of the pitch expecting one player covering most of the area.

Part of me thinks ETH played some players well. So for example despite the uproar at times I think him using Amad sparingly benefitted the player due to injury etc.

Similarly I think he eased Amrabat in to a new league and new team.

I could be wrong of course but I do think it maybe well worth keeping Amrabat, a season under his belt, hopefully a strengthening of the MF and a style of play that compliments his skill set.

Overall though either decision would be acceptable. If kept, fair enough. If sold, fair enough.

Overall though either decision would be acceptable. If kept, fair enough. If sold, fair enough.
Yes. It's also up to Erik to decide, what constitutes his reasonable depth next season, as he was absolutely destroyed by injuries just months ago.

Collyer is here, plus Ugarte is highly anticipated, and if by any chance club wants to have squad for all four competitions, then absolutely no problem for going after concrete overhaul. Plan B was always needed, anyway.

Comparing Amrabat to Vidic and Evra :lol:

He is clearly not comparing those players, he is saying that a new signing in a new league may take some time to adjust to the tempo and physicality in the Premier League, just like Vidic and Evra had to, and just like hundreds of other players in the league. Personally, I don't think he is good enough to be a starter, but he was one of the best deep-lying playmakers in Serie A and he is obviously better than what he has showed here. It didn't help that ten Hag used him wrong and played him in various positions which he does not belong in.

You wanna tell me some better alternatives for the price quoted?

Yes. It's also up to Erik to decide, what constitutes his reasonable depth next season, as he was absolutely destroyed by injuries just months ago.

Collyer is here, plus Ugarte is highly anticipated, and if by any chance club wants to have squad for all four competitions, then absolutely no problem for going after concrete overhaul. Plan B was always needed, anyway.

I've always felt a bigger squad benefits teams in Europa. So maybe Erik has that in mind with some of the "lesser" signings?

With Eriks whole trophies won argument it would be good to compete and win the Europa and be competitive in the league

I've always felt a bigger squad benefits teams in Europa. So maybe Erik has that in mind with some of the "lesser" signings ?

With Eriks whole trophies won argument it would be good to compete and win the Europa and be competitive in the league.
Definitely Europa means more comfortable testing grounds for the likes of Collyer, maybe even Amass too. Zirkzee definitely could benefit with less pressure in first season to find understanding on the pitch, before Champions League campaign.

One of Amrabat, or Rabiot as a bonus signing near deadline day, think would definitely help in Europa win, and perhaps even achieving overall stable position in the league.

He is clearly not comparing those players, he is saying that a new signing in a new league may take some time to adjust to the tempo and physicality in the Premier League, just like Vidic and Evra had to, and just like hundreds of other players in the league. Personally, I don't think he is good enough to be a starter, but he was one of the best deep-lying playmakers in Serie A and he is obviously better than what he has showed here. It didn't help that ten Hag used him wrong and played him in various positions which he does not belong in.

You wanna tell me some better alternatives for the price quoted?
There is nothing to suggest we are limited to spending only £12 million on a midfielder . There is clearly money there on top of the money we have and will receive for players leaving

He wasn't good enough. What's the point in buying players that are not good enough that we know aren't good enough, because they played here. It's not as if there's an air of mystery. It might be cheap but it's cheap for a reason, he wasn't great and the demand probably isn't great.

He's not a bad player but he's not a United player, or shouldn't be if we're aspiring to improve. We need legs and competitiveness in midfield not just someone suited to sitting deep and spraying a few passes about, we need to be proactive in matches. He was good in the final because it's a one off game where we're playing defensive football, we need to move on from that and be based on a style that can long term make us competitive in major competitions.

There is nothing to suggest we are limited to spending only £12 million on a midfielder . There is clearly money there on top of the money we have and will receive for players leaving

No, it's true we don't know what budget they have for this summer.
That said supposing we're chasing Ugarte, De Ligt, another DC and signing Zirkzee that's already 200m or so right there, I would imagine that's closer to the ceiling than the floor.

No I’m saying we have had a season of watching Amrabat and if you think he’s in the Evra and Vidic mould where he’s had a poor start to his United career but destined to be a great signing then I suggest choose another sport .

Destined eh? Now you just made it up.

ANyway. THe point i was trying to make is, so often people are just not consistent when judging new players to the League. Whether they give one year pass, or not.

I'm just lukewarm with him. I can see what he can bring as squad player, but not really bother if he's not here.

He wasn't good enough. What's the point in buying players that are not good enough that we know aren't good enough, because they played here. It's not as if there's an air of mystery. It might be cheap but it's cheap for a reason, he wasn't great and the demand probably isn't great.

He's not a bad player but he's not a United player, or shouldn't be if we're aspiring to improve. We need legs and competitiveness in midfield not just someone suited to sitting deep and spraying a few passes about, we need to be proactive in matches. He was good in the final because it's a one off game where we're playing defensive football, we need to move on from that and be based on a style that can long term make us competitive in major competitions.
Exactly. It'd be much more prudent to take a risk on a rising talent who's going cheap because of the league they play in/contract situation and also use a CM from our youth team than Amrabat who we know isn't good enough.