Scott McTominay | Napoli

Nothing but love for McTominay. He gave all he had everytime on the pitch for us. Best of wishes in Italy.

As a half-English/half-Neapolitan United fan, I accept it’s the right time for Scott to move on. I don’t really see that he could have had a role beyond a useful bench player for us, going forward.

But I’m delighted he’s got himself an opportunity to fit in at Napoli and I hope he thrives there. If there’s one thing they love in Napoli, it’s a player who plays with heart, so he’s got every chance to hit it off with the fans. I’m looking forward to watching him play for my second favourite team, and wish him all the best living and playing on one of the most beautiful coastlines on the planet. Buona fortuna Scott!

Last edited:
I get why everyone is getting so misty eyed about him leaving, I’m sad to see him leave too as an academy lad and a decent sort but watching him play for us when he wasn’t scoring goals was rough.

Unlike many over the years I’d put it 100% down to ability rather than effort, and weirdly he had some games where absolutely bossed it like vs Leeds - but I still maintain we sold the wrong midfielder (Fred) at the start of last season.

Scott was really poor in the McFred partnership. Since Fred has left, he has become a better player. That just wasn't a great partnership. I think both players have flourished without each other.

I wanted to keep Scott as a squad player and was sad to see him leave but totally understand the reasons he was sold for.

Wish him nothing but good luck.

Poor footballer ability-wise but excellent attitude and energy. Wish we could transplant his attitude and energy into someone like Rashford.

Heard that victor osimhen left out of Napoli squad. I'm sure Scott will be hoping he will be reintegrated into the squad!

He wasn't even in the squad yesterday and Napoli scored two goals in injury time to win 2-1.

That's the impact of Scott McTominay.

Right call to sell him definitely, but that's a tough one, really liked the lad.
He's made a tremendous career for such a limited footballer.

Scott was really poor in the McFred partnership. Since Fred has left, he has become a better player. That just wasn't a great partnership. I think both players have flourished without each other.

I wanted to keep Scott as a squad player and was sad to see him leave but totally understand the reasons he was sold for.

Wish him nothing but good luck.
McTominay-Fred double pivot wasn't right. Both are either box-to-box midfielders or more advanced. It's why Fred looked better with Casemiro behind him or McTominay last season as this advanced midfielder running in opposition box and scoring plenty of goals. Ole had 3 summer windows and never signed a defensive/central midfielder.

his character will be missed....

United thru and thru and nothing but love for him

Good luck our Scott. Hope he smashes it - if Conte plays him in a position that enables him to break into box I expect him to keep the goal scoring up

No idea why we sold him but i guess he wanted regular first team football. We needed someone in the middle of the park to kick the scousers on Sunday and we didn’t have one especially when Ugarte isn’t ready

Best of luck in Italy, Scotty

No idea why we sold him but i guess he wanted regular first team football. We needed someone in the middle of the park to kick the scousers on Sunday and we didn’t have one especially when Ugarte isn’t ready

Best of luck in Italy, Scotty
Likely helped get the Ugarte deal over the line.

He absolutely ran the show last night, always a threat, great work rate, good link up play against a good Poland side.

He will be missed here, especially of Ugarte doesn't hit the ground running.

Let's be realistic here. McT has received a fair amount of praise for his goals and the odd decent performance, but he's not the player we need to take us forward. Have a think about the number of times we've slagged him off for being weak, hiding from the ball, not taking responsibility, being totally ineffective etc? And how many of us were pissed off at the hierarchy for not selling him when we had offers?

People saying we should have kept hold of him to play against the scousers are deluded. He might have improved our midfield presence, he might not. Either way, we would still have lost and missed out on Ugarte (deadline day?). We should have sold McT ages ago, or at least a month before we did - and brought in Ugarte to start getting him up to speed.

I wish McT all the best. He lived his dream for a few years and provided us with some great moments. But that's all he is - a Moments FC player.

He was a central midfielder who would regularly have 90 minutes with fewer than 40 passes, and go literally minutes without touching the ball.

If we could afford to give him a completely free role and just let him crash the box that would be fine, but even there I personally never found his conversion rate notable. He got in good positions but missed great chances, and the point is the rest of the time he offered almost nothing.

His passing is bottom range and he wasn't particularly saavy with defensive actions so he just doesn't work for a top club, you can't carry that.

The move is good for everyone, we had to move him on to move forwards.

He was a central midfielder who would regularly have 90 minutes with fewer than 40 passes, and go literally minutes without touching the ball.

If we could afford to give him a completely free role and just let him crash the box that would be fine, but even there I personally never found his conversion rate notable. He got in good positions but missed great chances, and the point is the rest of the time he offered almost nothing.

His passing is bottom range and he wasn't particularly saavy with defensive actions so he just doesn't work for a top club, you can't carry that.

This is spot on. Although in maybe one game in five he would put in a proper box to box CM performance. But those other four games were so harmful to us. He was a bit like Fred in that when he was really on it he was great but his bottom level was so very very poor he was a net negative to the club. And I actually think Fred was more likely than McT to turn up for any given match.

I have a feeling he will play brilliantly at Napoli. All of these United players will play brilliantly at other clubs.

A lot of people on here are so full of shit it's laughable. The abuse this bloke got, and now so many saying "we will miss him" etc. Half of this forum simply don't deserve to have loyal players like him at the club, he got so such much stick.

Last edited:
He absolutely ran the show last night, always a threat, great work rate, good link up play against a good Poland side.

He will be missed here, especially of Ugarte doesn't hit the ground running.

Scott McTominay will absolutely not be missed except by those that suffer under the delusion that he was/is a good footballer.

Never good enough for United. Then again, assuming more than mediocrity under philosopher Ten Hag is probably my delusion.

I was fed up with him plenty of times, but respected his positives. People just do a total 180 on players partly due to the fact they're fools and partly as another excuse to throw shit at the club. Tiring.

Scotland match was another example.

34 passes with 91.2% accuracy so kept the ball well, 0 key passes however from your player in the hole is very limiting. For example Mount has 2 from his 2 games for us so far this season and we have plenty of posters complaining he doesn't create anything.

From 5 shots, 2 hit the target, 2 missed the goal and 1 blocked. Won 3 fouls, gave away 3 fouls. 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 dribbles. Little success in pressing,

Got his goal which he does quite well, less well when starting but more often for Scotland than for us. So he had an end result to help but in a game with 5 goals it wasnt enough. Symanski and Gilmour played better in midfield and also got a goal each, in what was hardly battle of the titans and highest quality of players.

I get this feeling we'll survive without him

Our best player. Sold to save the red faces of exasperated England fans who daren't confront the fact that the GOAT plays for Scotland.

A lot of people on here are so full of shit it's laughable. The abuse this bloke got, and now so many saying "we will miss him" etc. Half of this forum simply don't deserve to have loyal players like him at the club, he got so such much stick.

Yeah, at the end of the day he probably wasn't good enough and we got rid of him for a good fee, but he was never as bad as most United fans wanted you to believe. The reversal to this fawning doey eyed well wishing now he's gone is remarkable.

I also do think he got a lot of stick for being a good club man and trying to do what's asked of him. @Pogue Mahone and @Beachryan point out his lack of involvement under ten Hag, but the truth is every player that has played next to Casemiro has really struggled to get involved in games. Sabitzer was equally ethereal, and Mainoo is, for all his quality, not influencing games as much as he could be. Eriksen has the best numbers here from his first season, but we were also setting up a bit differently then.

All of that is to say, that ten Hag's suicide midfield doesn't really get the best out of anyone and the lack of involvement of his 8 in general play does seem to be a feature not a bug. McTominay has never been great at this, but I don't think he should be completely tarred with ten Hag's shitty brush.

McTominay is always a goal threat. It was McTominay that wanted to leave. Ten Hag wanted him to stay.

Yeah, at the end of the day he probably wasn't good enough and we got rid of him for a good fee, but he was never as bad as most United fans wanted you to believe. The reversal to this fawning doey eyed well wishing now he's gone is remarkable.

I also do think he got a lot of stick for being a good club man and trying to do what's asked of him. @Pogue Mahone and @Beachryan point out his lack of involvement under ten Hag, but the truth is every player that has played next to Casemiro has really struggled to get involved in games. Sabitzer was equally ethereal, and Mainoo is, for all his quality, not influencing games as much as he could be. Eriksen has the best numbers here from his first season, but we were also setting up a bit differently then.

All of that is to say, that ten Hag's suicide midfield doesn't really get the best out of anyone and the lack of involvement of his 8 in general play does seem to be a feature not a bug. McTominay has never been great at this, but I don't think he should be completely tarred with ten Hag's shitty brush.

Mainoo has a lot of involvement. He is our main ball winner this season.

2.7 tackles
3.7 interceptions
43 passes
0 key passes
0.3 shots
3.4 successful dribbles per 90 mins

Doing a great job overall as one of our 2 DMs

McTominay was similarly peripheral under Ole, so we can’t blame this all on Ten Haag. We can’t ignore the years of everyone moaning about how badly we needed to upgrade McFred and use their departure as another stick to beat the manager who finally moved them on.

There’s more than enough reasons to have a go at Ten Haag. Let’s not add moving a player on who we all wanted moved on to that list.

Scott McTominay will absolutely not be missed except by those that suffer under the delusion that he was/is a good footballer.

Never good enough for United. Then again, assuming more than mediocrity under philosopher Ten Hag is probably my delusion.
Did you watch last night's game?
Could have done with that in midfield against Liverpool.
But nevermind eh.

But nevermind eh.
McTominay playing well for Scotland isn't new though. He got a brace against Spain and a few days later he was shite for us against Newcastle when we lost 2-0, and then shite again when we stumbled to a 1-0 win against Brentford.

But nevermind eh.
Do you think Poland are as good as Liverpool?

Gravenberch and McAllister are lightyears ahead of McTominay

Do you think Poland are as good as Liverpool?

Gravenberch and McAllister are lightyears ahead of McTominay

Don't even bother. His supporters are the ultimate fingers in ears nah nah I can't hear you crowd.

He's shite. Knocks the odd goal in but apart from that offers nothing. He's the modern day Kevin Nolan.

Mainoo also regularly has less than 40 passes. Not saying I think McT should have stayed, he isn't the level we're looking for, but it'll be interesting to see him in a proper footballing system. I think he'll look better than he did here anyways.