Scott McTominay | Napoli

I think some people genuinely watch football with their eyes closed until a goal goes in.

Midfielder who is useless at most aspects of midfield play, but nicks the odd goal: good.
Midfielder who wins the ball back as much as anybody in football but doesn't score goals: bad.
Wrong.. modern footballers have to be more than one trick ponies. We had the same debate about Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin. Both predictably one dimensional CDMs who offered little offensively. They were wildly welcomed and both flopped. We haven't learnt.

I'd love it if I'm wrong. But I won't be as I wasn't then.

Wrong.. modern footballers have to be more than one trick ponies. We had the same debate about Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin. Both predictably one dimensional CDMs who offered little offensively. They were wildly welcomed and both flopped. We haven't learnt.
You're talking about one trick ponies while saying we shouldn't have sold McTominay...?

You're talking about one trick ponies while saying we shouldn't have sold McTominay...?
This is the player who has played in defence, defensive midfield and attack. A one trick pony? So wrong it's laughable.

Sorry deeply unimpressed by the window. Deeply.

Desperate sale from an increasingly desperate club. Are we all supposed to get excited by the incoming of non-goal-threat Ugarte?? Well I don't. He doesn't make us better and our squad is depleted.
It's ridiculous mate. McTominay scored 10 goals last season. Logic clearly dictates that if we'd fielded 11 McTominay's we'd have scored 110 (!!!) goals.

This is the player who has played in defence, defensive midfield and attack. A one trick pony? So wrong it's laughable
Yeah, poorly. He's got one strong suit, getting on the end of things in the box. If you really want to push it, you can maybe add "being tall"?

He doesn't do anything else at a level to where he should be playing in midfield for Man Utd.

This is the player who has played in defence, defensive midfield and attack. A one trick pony? So wrong it's laughable.

Shocking in defence, shocking as a DM. 1/3 positions isn't bad.

All the best. Always had a soft spot for McTom. Good servant.
Agreed
Yeah, poorly. He's got one strong suit, getting on the end of things in the box. If you really want to push it, you can maybe add "being tall"?

He doesn't do anything else at a level to where he should be playing in midfield for Man Utd.
Strange that the only manager that recognised this was the Scotland boss Steve Clarke. Only when he played him as a forward and was scoring for fun was he let loose at United. Better men than you and me, including Mourinho had him as defensive midfielder who could fill in as a centre back. That is called versatile. So not a one trick pony. And willing to sacrifice himself for the benefit of the team.

Anyway, all the best to Scott. Mixed feelings about seeing him leave. Hope he does well, seems like a great guy.

Not going to pretend I'm not fairly pleased, but could never fault his effort and wish him all the best.

All the best to him but this is the best transfer move we've made this summer and long overdue.

Played in every position because he was never good enough to hold one down.

People going on about the attacking threat of a player who has scored 29 goals in 8 years and has routinely gone absolutely missing in games, avoiding the ball and being a passenger.

About 3 or 4 years overdue

Pleased he's gone, pleased he's got himself a really good move and pleased that it's been handled well.

I'll miss him, I always like a Scotland International to be at United.

Considering all our big money buys who haven't reached their potential post SAF, this was a homegrown player who absolutely reached his. Didn't deserve a lot of the shit he took from United supporters. We're already on our way to missing his goals this season.

Good luck Scott, I'll be following your time at Napoli.

Pleased he's gone, pleased he's got himself a really good move and pleased that it's been handled well.
Yeah, this is the way I see it as well. There's no shame in not being United level (or at least the level we should be aiming for). He's already had the kind of career that most professionals would sell their left nut for. He's moving to a very good club with a lot of history, and United have gotten decent money for him and handled his departure with class.

Really hope he does well and endears himself to their fans, but I don't quite get the sentimentality, much less people saying the club is "desperate" or wrong to have sold him.

Great video. It's great he worked his way up as a kid at the club to the first team. Lived the dream.

I am sad to see McSauce out the door. A genuine guy, a player who gave it all. Not the most polished, no. But a great athlete with heart, heart, heart who bled United. Best of luck to him in his future work.

Really don’t think his hair is going to fare well in the Neopolitan humidity. There, I said it.

A top pro who gave everything for United.

Good luck to him. Hope he smashes it in Italy

Nice video this. Except I couldn't help but chuckle at Harry and Jonny in their hotel room or wherever it was.

McTominay has done alright for us with his skillset, but it's time he's moving on. He does a bunch of things well, but they're not really the things you associate with a midfielder, which is unfortunate when that's where we've asked him to play. Good luck to him in Napoli.

I do think it was the right move for club and player. I do wish him well.

Wish him all the best. Napoli was the club of Diego, now the club of McSauce. I will definitely look out for their results but I also have to say
MCFRED IS DEAD

I'm going to miss him, underrated by many, misunderstood by many, and a true United player.