Scott McTominay | Napoli

Quality control
Another product of glazer incompetence, alongside Maguire, Lindelof, Martial, lingard list goes on.

If INEOS were here 10 years ago, McTominay doesn’t see 2017 at Man Utd. Bang average player, could probably do a job for a bottom half PL team.

Anyway good luck to the lad, always gave his all I suppose.

Insulting another member
Another product of glazer incompetence, alongside Maguire, Lindelof, Martial, lingard list goes on.

If INEOS were here 10 years ago, McTominay doesn’t see 2017 at Man Utd. Bang average player, could probably do a job for a bottom half PL team.

Just feck off already. Seriously mods how do these morons get out of the newbie section?

Read the room you dipstick

Won't miss him, but definitely want him to have a successful career wherever he goes. He'd been a total pro since first time he wore that red shirt.

Weird that Napoli's midfield 2 is McTominay and Billy Gilmour.

Hope they both smash it.
Conte does seem to really like both Anguissa and Lobotka. It was apparently a condition of him signing for Napoli that both of those players wouldn't be sold.

Based on that I'm not sure McTominay and Gilmour will spend too much time on the field together. I'd guess that Conte will drop Politano for McTominay and play 352, with Gilmour as an understudy to Lobotka.

I think some people genuinely watch football with their eyes closed until a goal goes in.

Midfielder who is useless at most aspects of midfield play, but nicks the odd goal: good.
Midfielder who wins the ball back as much as anybody in football but doesn't score goals: bad.

Scott even played with his eyes closed most of the time!

Seems like a great bloke but the move was overdue. We can push forwards without him.

Just feck off already. Seriously mods how do these morons get out of the newbie section?

Read the room you dipstick
The irony of criticising the contents of my post when this is your reply? Hahaha

If you can’t handle someone voicing a different opinion to yours without insulting them, maybe you shouldn’t be on a public forum.

You’re lucky there wasn’t a promotion system like the current one in place in 2006, because you’d probably still be a newb 13k posts later.

By the way if you love mediocrity so much maybe you should find a team to support in New Zealand, I’m sure you’ll find plenty of it there.

Now let me block you bc you ain’t worth my time no more.

Weird that Napoli's midfield 2 is McTominay and Billy Gilmour.

Hope they both smash it.
I don’t think its particularly weird.

Didn’t Diego Maradona famously said:
“Sure, the English may very well hate me, but the Scottish love me, and that’s all that matters.”

Well, there you go.

Gave us some great moments and never doubted his commitment - but even as a squad player he isn’t a player that would have got anywhere near the number of appearances if he was a pre 2013 first team squad member.

We need to move on to bigger and better things - he’s landed on his feet at Napoli in terms of stepping away from United - but he can expect even greater scrutiny and abuse from their supporters if he repeats the type of games he often had for us where he went missing and occasionally hid from the ball when the opponents were on top.

He lived his United dream and he was in the right place for him at the right time for it to have gone on as long as it did.

Arrivederci, Scott.

He's one of those bittersweet ones, of course he isn't good enough and we needed to move on but he was always a likeable lad, gave his all everytime he was on the pitch, coming from the academy you could see the passion and what it mean to him to be wearing the badge. Top professional, never complained.

I'm glad he went overseas having him play on another EPL team would've felt weird.

Good luck to him, hopefully he does well on Italy.

No need to be hateful. He cares about the club and did his best.

No need to be hateful. He cares about the club and did his best.
That’s the sentimentality that’s the problem at this club. Doing your best doesn’t win you the big trophies neither does caring about the club. He’s a good player and a nice guy sure but that’s not enough.

That’s the sentimentality that’s the problem at this club. Doing your best doesn’t win you the big trophies neither does caring about the club. He’s a good player and a nice guy sure but that’s not enough.
Oh I agree, he should not play for us, but I fully respect him and he's only done his best for us.

This is the problem to. That people think you need 22 worldclass players to win games. What clubs need are good players together with good squad players. McTominay was one of them. No star player but could do a job that should have been valued a lot more. More than some players that are still at the club. Let us see who next guy is to get criticism and put undeserved blame on.

A good move for all parties, but a little sad to see him go, and now a little more after watching that clip.

I always thought his top level was very good. He'd occasionally have a game where he looked top class, but he couldn't do that consistently. He also never looked comfortable playing right Infront of the back 4, where he found himself a lot before we got Casemiro. I hope Napoli keep him away from that role.

He's also got the best knee-slide celebration in the game.

The club needed to be more cutthroat and this summer it has been, I would assume that is a trend that will continue. However, sentimentality from a fan's perspective is absolutely necessary. That was not your point, I know, I just wanted to mention it. The outpour in regards to McTominay doesn't have much to do about his ability, more his character and what he represents as a product of our academy. Both those things are central aspects of what makes United United, and we as fans should be sentimental about it as it is part of why we are fans of this club in the first place.

This is the problem to. That people think you need 22 worldclass players to win games. What clubs need are good players together with good squad players. McTominay was one of them. No star player but could do a job that should have been valued a lot more. More than some players that are still at the club. Let us see who next guy is to get criticism and put undeserved blame on.
Another problem is, that some argue as if we'd still be in a position of power like in the SAF days. Obviously, when you have a great team, working plan, efficient attack, effective defense, then it makes sense to add players that are options and provide something, the others cant. But thats not where we are. We are neither good in defense, nor in attack. Our plan A is working so and so, a plan B isnt in sight. McTominay isn't a backup to Casemiro because apart from being tall he isn't good at winning the ball and positioning. He isn't a backup to Mainoo because he hides from the ball, his passing is mostly limited and his ball control is subpar. He also isn't a backup to Bruno for obvious reasons - highlighted by the fact that we are as unbalanced as a side as we are so the boots of Bruno for us (in our current form) are too big for most players. Think back to Brown - he was a viable backup as CB, was even an RB option everybody felt right with in a CL final. Oshea while often being criticised and obviously not as good as the people he was a backup for, he could do their jobs. JSP for all his quirks was very good technically and could play as first team winger.
A backup enables you to continue your plan without too much of a hustle. An option is a player who is a backup that offers something, your 1st teamer doesn't.

Lessons have to be learned, there is no place in sentimentalities when you aren't already sitting in the sun. McTominay is 27, he peaked around Ole time, from then on, we know about his limitations. Everybody knows that it is great to have players who are good professionals and really "get" the club. But the precondition of all that is sufficient ability.

I agree with you - some players do get undeserved blame. Some get undeserved praise. And McTominay these days seems to be in both camps at the same time, being judged on 7 goals in his last season while his overall contribution of last season and of the last 7 years fades away in the background.

It’s not about having 22 world class players , I don’t think many people think like that.

For me, he’s not good enough. He hides from the ball, doesn’t show enough and lacks the general technical ability needed to play here. Absoloutly nothing to do with not being world class. I’ve also stated plenty of times that his attitude, application and personality were spot on, seems like a top bloke.

Just not good enough to play for a club with our aspirations, hence why they have sold him.

The club needed to be more cutthroat and this summer it has been, I would assume that is a trend that will continue. However, sentimentality from a fan's perspective is absolutely necessary. That was not your point, I know, I just wanted to mention it. The outpour in regards to McTominay doesn't have much to do about his ability, more his character and what he represents as a product of our academy. Both those things are central aspects of what makes United United, and we as fans should be sentimental about it as it is part of why we are fans of this club in the first place.
Oh I couldn’t agree more. David Beckham is that player for me, he represents sentimental and Manchester United. I still have all my shirts from when I was a kid with his name on the back. The class of 92 as a whole has that aura and special aspect. Rashford should be everything you speak of in our current team and sentimentality is what’s keeping him playing as much as he is. Of course it’s special when a talented player comes through in that way but if they’re not good enough it shouldn’t keep them here. You have to have the levels required unfortunately. Mctom doesn’t. Doesn’t mean he’s not a really good player of course.

You know Fergie was gushing about the lad to Mourinho just before he started getting time for us, right?

Some idiots thought he'd be starting today. But Napoli needs him in their squad pronto.