View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
The posting history of this guy :lol:. It’s all Zinedine Mctominay.

Just over 100 posts with something like 80 of them about McTominay is some effort. Will be challenging @Amadaeus for weirdest fanboy obsession on the caf if he's consistent.

"Play McTominay on the wing" is a classic of the genre, though. His own mother wouldn't play him on the fecking wing.

In reality, he is a coward who hides and deliberately positions himself near an opposing player so that he would not receive a pass whenever we are building up from the back.

I really wish people who said this kind of thing would get banned.

No player at this level of football hides from the ball. To even suggest as much is embarrassingly ignorant.

Gnarby had 24 touches in 63 minutes. Pellistri had 25 touches in 81 minutes.

Do they also hide from the ball?

What's with this random influx of Newbie Scotland fans whose only purpose on here is to defend McTominay?

Is it against the rules to stick up for Scott McTominay? /Rhetorical question.

Never realised that to be considered a Manchester United fan you must follow the crowd and not engage your brain.

I've been a Manchester United fan since the early 90s, mate.

I'll stuck up for whichever player I choose. Don't really need your permission.

I fail to subscribe to this mass hysteria bullshit. I think for myself. I'm weird like that.

If you don't like it. There's the door.

OK. Fine. It appears that criticising and scapegoating is the fashionable thing to do:

1st Bayern Munich goal was because of Onana treating the ball like it was a greased up watermelon. 2nd Bayern goal was because Eriksen and Casemiro didn't track Gnarby. Bayern's 3rd goal was because Eriksen thought he was playing Volleyball. Bayern's 4th was due to Casemiro not closing down and Lindelov leaving Tel in acres of space.

All this and yet Scott McTominay gets in the neck for a 21 minute cameo.

Is the Erikson Onana, Casemiro and Lindelov's performance threads all filled with torch and pitchfork weilding mobs, too?

What a strange bunch the RedCafe fans are.

I've been registered to a few football forums. I have never seen a fanbase flog, criticize and abuse their team's fans as much as people do here.

Unforgivable.

This could be the nail in his coffin.

Given there were rumors of Tommy Tuchil being interested in him, its pretty amazing McT didn't want to put in a shift.

Unforgivable.

Given there were rumors of Tommy Tuchil being interested in him, its pretty amazing McT didn't want to put in a shift.

That first touch though...he's got 200 over games for a top club as a centre midfielder. And you'd think he'd have the bit of quality to be able to recover with his second touch...nope. It's even worse.

*edit*

Pause it at the moment he took his first touch. Rashford was free. Someone like Scholes would've put Rashford through on goal. I don't understand how someone who plays at the top level waits until he gets the ball to decide what he wants to do. He should've had a picture in his head. The pass from Pellestri was coming for a long time. Also just realised he'd seen Rashford because he had a glance before receiving it. It gets worse the more you see it.

Unforgivable.

He's done this before and managers still picked him.

He's one of the laziest players we've ever had.

That first touch though...he's got 200 over games for a top club as a centre midfielder. And you'd think he'd have the bit of quality to be able to recover with his second touch...nope. It's even worse.

*edit*

Pause it at the moment he took his first touch. Rashford was free. Someone like Scholes would've put Rashford through on goal. I don't understand how someone who plays at the top level waits until he gets the ball to decide what he wants to do. He should've had a picture in his head. The pass from Pellestri was coming for a long time. Also just realised he'd seen Rashford because he had a glance before receiving it. It gets worse the more you see it.
This is ridiculous. There's no way even Scholes is putting Rashford through on goal there with the way the ball was played to him.

He's probably not practicing playing first time through balls from that position anyway, it's like blaming a defender for not having a great shot or a striker for not being a great tackler. Players at the top level these days are focusing on what their managers want them to do, not doing a bit of everything just in case. Criticise him for not sprinting back, sure, but don't criticise and blame him for not seeing and pulling off a pass that very few players in the world could pull off. By the time the ball has even reached McTominay the defender is already back between Rashford and the ball.

Unforgivable.

The ref was twice faster than him ffs. Yes the fecking ref.

Unforgivable.

Now, I'm not defending him here before anyone spits their dummy out, although I'm sure a few will as with no Maguire to spit bile at the target has moved on.

But the lad next to him, Pellistri possibly? does exactly the same, a light amble back and even had a five yard head start on McT.
Also, I see no players sprinting back in that clip, which doesn't excuse it, but highlights that it's a team issue rather than one of just McT.

Why is everyone expecting Scott McTominay to cover every blade of grass like a peak Rino Gattuso?

McTominay has never been that player. He'll never be that player.

For all intents and purposes, Scott McTominay is a number 10 or a number 9.

He's not a raging bull of a midfielder. It doesn't mean that he isn't giving his all. He is.

Blaming him for last night is strange. He was on the park for 20 minutes.

Technically we were better when Scott came on: before he came on we conceded 3 and scored 1. After he came on we scored 2 and conceded 1.

I'm not just talking about McTominay here. What's the point in pointing fingers at players? And repeating it over and over and over again.

It achieves absolutely nothing.

Personally, I try not blaming individuals, unless it's a really glaring thing that leads to a goal against the team.

You win as a team and you lose as a team.

I really wish people who said this kind of thing would get banned.
No player at this level of football hides from the ball. To even suggest as much is embarrassingly ignorant.

Gnarby had 24 touches in 63 minutes. Pellistri had 25 touches in 81 minutes.

Do they also hide from the ball?
He’s very definitely not a 9 or 10, not even close. Literally none of his managers at United or the blessed Scotland have played him there.

Now, I'm not defending him here before anyone spits their dummy out, although I'm sure a few will as with no Maguire to spit bile at the target has moved on.

But the lad next to him, Pellistri possibly? does exactly the same, a light amble back and even had a five yard head start on McT.
Also, I see no players sprinting back in that clip, which doesn't excuse it, but highlights that it's a team issue rather than one of just McT.

Pellistri is not the answer at this stage, he's a good youngster will bags of potential, but it's not his time yet - we saw that against Bayern, it was painfully obvious at times. McTominay is a beast and a boss when channeled properly in this team and I'm expecting him to play an important part in helping the team moving forward, the team is crying out for a player with his skillset.

Pellistri is not the answer at this stage, he's a good youngster will bags of potential, but it's not his time yet - we saw that against Bayern, it was painfully obvious at times. McTominay is a beast and a boss when channeled properly in this team and I'm expecting him to play an important part in helping the team moving forward, the team is crying out for a player with his skillset.
It really isn't. The "needs the right environment" line backfired with Pogba, should definitely not repeat for a player not with not even 25% of Pogbas talent. He is a good lad, hope you will enjoy the move into another fanbase once its finally done.

Meh. You're clearly taking the piss, not even Scotland fans can be this deluded.

Said this in the other thread about him but I don't think it's an attitude problem with McTominay. I just think that he's incapable of reading the game properly. He does put in the yards, he just wastes it chasing after lost causes and as a consequence fails to track runners when he should be.

This is ridiculous. There's no way even Scholes is putting Rashford through on goal there with the way the ball was played to him.

He's probably not practicing playing first time through balls from that position anyway, it's like blaming a defender for not having a great shot or a striker for not being a great tackler. Players at the top level these days are focusing on what their managers want them to do, not doing a bit of everything just in case. Criticise him for not sprinting back, sure, but don't criticise and blame him for not seeing and pulling off a pass that very few players in the world could pull off. By the time the ball has even reached McTominay the defender is already back between Rashford and the ball.

The pass was on imo. Definitely would've been if he'd tried it first touch. Touch and go if Rashford was offside if he'd taken it with his second.

He’s very definitely not a 9 or 10, not even close. Literally none of his managers at United or the blessed Scotland have played him there.

Literally none of his managers have played him there? He played as a number 10s against Cyprus and England.

And does it matter? By your definition Scott McTominay is a number 6 because "managers have plated him there".

No manager is infallible.

Meh. You're clearly taking the piss, not even Scotland fans can be this deluded.

Just because someone disagrees with the common concensus he's "taking the piss"?

There was a vocal percentage who wanted SAF fired in the 80s. The people who wanted to give him more time were deemed to be "taking the piss".

How about we put the torches and pitchforks down and support the team. Or is that "taking the piss", too?

Literally none of his managers have played him there? He played as a number 10s against Cyprus and England.

And does it matter? By your definition Scott McTominay is a number 6 because "managers have plated him there".

Just because someone disagrees with the common concensus he's "taking the piss"?

There was a vocal percentage who wanted SAF fired in the 80s. The people who wanted to give him more time were deemed to be "taking the piss".

How about we put the torches and pitchforks down and support the team. Or is that "taking the piss", too?
So you also believe that “the team is crying out for a player with his skillset”? Christ on a fecking bike.

So. The new criteria of being a United player is outrunning refs?

Look at Pellistri. He was I'm front of the ball. Stopped to look at his shoes. Before doing a 90⁰ turn to job back.

Rashford got outrun, too.

There is a silent majority that value McTominay and what he brings to this team, that's clear for all to see.

It's not very difficult to see through the paper thin arguments criticising him presented here. It's understandable folk want to create scapegoats to vent their emotional energy toward and that's fair enough, very human - but it has to recognised for what it is and that's all I'm saying.

I think most CMs would see the pass and at least try it to Rashford. It’s a very difficult one to pull off given how little time there is and the weight would have to be perfect but there’s plenty of time to be aware he’s there. I don’t really mind if a player makes good decisions that don’t always come off but McT just doesn’t have that as part of his game. Feel like we should just use him as our 5th choice Cb these days.

Masterdarcy is right. All of you lot on this board are haters. How many midfielders can claim they have completed 24 passes in 4 matches. Scott is a midfield maestro.

What a damning stat. If his name was McTomimininho or Kostas McTominopoulos, he'd be in Eredivisie 2 by now.

What a damning stat. If his name was McTomimininho or Kostas McTominopoulos, he'd be in Eredivisie 2 by now.
Ah yes because Ten Hag has famously strongly favoured Scottish players in his time here.

There is a silent majority that value McTominay and what he brings to this team, that's clear for all to see.

It's not very difficult to see through the paper thin arguments criticising him presented here. It's understandable folk want to create scapegoats to vent their emotional energy toward and that's fair enough, very human - but it has to recognised for what it is and that's all I'm saying.
The overwhelming majority value McTominay at 30 million and are completely perplexed why the knuckleheads in charge of recruitment turned West Ham’s offer down.

Yeah, he brings nothing, that's obvious to see.

FFS :lol:

The overwhelming majority value McTominay at 30 million and are completely perplexed why the knuckleheads in charge of recruitment turned West Ham’s offer down.

The club place a higher value on McTominay than the vocal minority. The club have the full picture of him as a player to base a valuation on, fans don't.

For me that just points to the knowledge gap from the vocal minority. I don't see how that could be clearer.

The club place a higher value on McTominay than the vocal minority. The club have the full picture of him as a player to base a valuation on, fans don't.

For me that just points to the knowledge gap from the vocal minority. I don't see how that could be clearer.

I think you’re making assumptions with this whole majority/minority claim. A true silent majority is unknowable outside of things like general elections where there is anonymity.

Otherwise though, I think you’re probably right. The fact that no one (I think, not even one person) noticed that event during the match means that it probably happens to multiple players multiple times. In which case all that’s happened here is that it’s been highlighted on twitter, and disseminated to tens of thousands on sites like this, and then confirmation bias does the rest.

The pass was on imo. Definitely would've been if he'd tried it first touch. Touch and go if Rashford was offside if he'd taken it with his second.

He actually takes a look before receiving as well so he knows it's on, first touch is just bad and second is worse. In the end though we know he's not good at that kind of thing so I can get over it, it's the ease in which he's outmuscled and the way he gives up that's infuriating.

Pellistri had been on the field for 80 minutes against one of the quickest fullbacks around. McTominay had been on for 10 and it is his literal JOB to track that back, particularly given it was his fault for losing it.

I'm A Boss Remix: Meek Mill ft Rick Ross, Scott McTominay

It's McToms on the pitch, yeah, I'm the footy boss (innit!!!!)
Through pass through defenders, no need to floss (never)
Every kick, I assist, never taking a loss,
Last gasp header, Fernandes cross (ooooh)

How can you make such an argument with a straight face?
Basically you’ve just said he should be excused for being unable to carrying out a duty his position demands. Players fail in attempts all the time but it’s a responsibility to make the attempt for the position he was assigned to.
People just want him to be braver in his decision making and be counted on when it matters for United.

Performances on the pitch spaced across 6 to 7 years is enough time for fans to get the full picture. It's been clear he's not good enough for at least 3 years, yet he's still here. It's one of the many reasons why this club is eating dust at the moment in the heavy red, because of the clueless suits in charge that have failed miserably when it comes to assessing player value.

So given he’s played over 200 games for us and over 40 for Scotland and all you can point to is 2 games lately for Scotland to justify that’s he’s a No.10 apparently and one of those was against the mighty Cyprus, basically a Championship level team at best.

By your own words you’ve previously said that all his United managers know more than us fans and they’ve all played him as a 6. So what does that say? There’s no way he has the skill set to play as a 10, doesn’t have it for a United midfielder either.

I think you’re making assumptions with this whole majority/minority claim. A true silent majority is unknowable outside of things like general elections where there is anonymity.

Otherwise though, I think you’re probably right. The fact that no one (I think, not even one person) noticed that event during the match means that it probably happens to multiple players multiple times. In which case all that’s happened here is that it’s been highlighted on twitter, and disseminated to tens of thousands on sites like this, and then confirmation bias does the rest.
I noticed it during the game and was screaming GET BACK at the telly

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This has to be wum. I honestly can't believe Scott has fans after years of dreadful performances.

He's given up. Playing with all the intensity of a man who's biding his time until the January window opens so he can leave and go where he's 'wanted'. Part of our issue is we've got a bunch of these apathetic players who don't care anymore because they know they're gone soon.
With McDross it is opposite. There is a reason why he is not pushing for a transfer or going in public with "how he wants to play more". He doesn't want to go anywhere. He is happy where he is now. With the hope that some purple patch will earn him new contract.

*edit*

Yeah, the obvious lack of technical ability actually annoys me more than the obvious lack of effort.

*edit*

I mean, you’re not wrong but it’s his second touch that’s terrible. First touch is ok.

With McDross it is opposite. There is a reason why he is not pushing for a transfer or going in public with "how he wants to play more". He doesn't want to go anywhere. He is happy where he is now. With the hope that some purple patch will earn him new contract.
Maybe, but he runs his mouth every time he plays for Scotland about how he wants to play more. The only reason he’s still here is because the Galzers, but we all know that

I'm curious, are you going to ignore me again like you normally do when I point out the faults in what you are saying?

You've literally spent the last few months constantly saying that McTominay's position is an 8 or box-to-box midfielder, and the reason why he's struggled for us is that we've always played him as a 6 instead. Now you've suddenly pivoted to him being a 9 or 10? Why?

In reality, he spent most of his career here playing as an #8. He had one or two good periods, but for the majority of the time he's been poor. He then spent the last 18 months being played as a #6, where he's had two good period of about a month each but otherwise been poor. He's also had a few brief appearances as a #10 and been poor each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.