View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here for all the haters who are piling on for not tracking back...can some please explain to me, is that the sole reason for losing or not? The Hatred he gets is out of hand at times, no one on here is good enough to play professionally so what do they know? oh yes...nothing

We can all forgive a lack of ability on here. We all know McTominay's technical limitations, so nobody is really having a go at him for not being able to play Rashford in and losing the ball in that situation. However, doing your best to recover the ball or at least get back into position is a very basic, standard demand of playing football at all levels, from unfit middle-aged Thursday evening five-a-side groups to the Champions League. It has nothing to do with being good enough to play professionally, it's about respecting your team-mates enough to show that you care about the error you just made and you're going to do what you can to rectify it.

I caught a bit of the international game and McCoist and (possibly, not 100% sure) Souness said words to the effect of 'he's not getting a look-in at United, which I can't believe' and it once again solidified my feeling that most pundits base their opinions on vibes and the teams they're interested in watching. He looks up for it and scores goals for Scotland + United are struggling = McTominay should play for United, ignoring the facts; every time he's played for us this year he's been noticeably awful and we have a body of his work going back years that proves he is not at the level to start games for a title-challenging side and never will be. It's an absolute vibes-a-thon from most of these guys on TV.

Oh the Nationality argument.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........
Yeah, you’d definitely be using the ‘you can’t play football, so what do you know’ if he was Portuguese for example. Wouldn’t you?

Yeah, you’d definitely be using the ‘you can’t play football, so what do you know’ if he was Portuguese for example. Wouldn’t you?
Ironically the poster also likely isn't professional so by his own logic his own opinion is invalidated.

I can understand some saying he's checked out but this is his game as well. Check back to the 5-0 defeat to Liverpool under Ole, he's jogging back then. He avoids getting involved as many have pointed out over the years and is best suited as an attacking mid for a lower club. He's been next to useless in hoping he'll transform into being helpful deeper in midfield, doesn't seem to have the awareness. Probably only kept on for his age and size and possibly the hope by some at the club he'll improve, it would take some coaching and instructing at his age to become useful.

Obviously we did a mistake not selling him this summer. This is Lingard situation all over again.

We could have got some decent value out of him, as reported, and there was interest. We even got a sort of replacement (Amrabat) for him, and yet, once again, we failed getting him off the books.

If I have to predict, this is what it will happen on his situation, next few years:
- He will get less and less playing time this season due to competition in our squad. When he plays he will deliver most likely mediocre performances.
- Next summer there will be rumours of him signing for some midtable club, for bids >10m, but he will end up staying
- 24/25 season he will play even less, maybe just EPL games and odd substitute appearances
- He will leave on a free summer 2025, struggle to find suitors, if lucky will end up on a newly promoted team or move to Scotland

Cant help but feel bad for both the club and him! Hope I am wrong...

Stinking up the place for 6 years. Can't believe the idiots running this club never tried to upgrade on him.

Why is everyone expecting Scott McTominay to cover every blade of grass like a peak Rino Gattuso?

McTominay has never been that player. He'll never be that player.

For all intents and purposes, Scott McTominay is a number 10 or a number 9.

He's not a raging bull of a midfielder. It doesn't mean that he isn't giving his all. He is.

Blaming him for last night is strange. He was on the park for 20 minutes.

Technically we were better when Scott came on: before he came on we conceded 3 and scored 1. After he came on we scored 2 and conceded 1.

I'm not just talking about McTominay here. What's the point in pointing fingers at players? And repeating it over and over and over again.

It achieves absolutely nothing.

Personally, I try not blaming individuals, unless it's a really glaring thing that leads to a goal against the team.

You win as a team and you lose as a team.

In reality, he is a coward who hides and deliberately positions himself near an opposing player so that he would not receive a pass whenever we are building up from the back.
I really wish people who said this kind of thing would get banned.
No player at this level of football hides from the ball. To even suggest as much is embarrassingly ignorant.

Gnarby had 24 touches in 63 minutes. Pellistri had 25 touches in 81 minutes.

Do they also hide from the ball?

Last edited:
The biggest fraud in world football. How he has managed to put on our prestigious shirt for 6 years is beyond me. Managed to con managers after managers to play him as our engine in the midfield. In reality, he is a coward who hides and deliberately positions himself near an opposing player so that he would not receive a pass whenever we are building up from the back. This happens every single game... im really sick of this fraud.

He plays like someone who knows his role will always be a squad player and the manager doesn't rate him highly...which is the perfect example of why you have to move players on if you want the squad to stay hungry.

Everyone needs to feel motivated so they can better themselves...if everyone was fit I think Scott knows he would be 5th/6th choice...so why even bother.

Here for all the haters who are piling on for not tracking back...can some please explain to me, is that the sole reason for losing or not? The Hatred he gets is out of hand at times, no one on here is good enough to play professionally so what do they know? oh yes...nothing
:lol:

Why is everyone expecting Scott McTominay to cover every blade of grass like a peak Rino Gattuso?

He's not a raging bull of a midfielder. It doesn't mean that he isn't giving his all. He is.

Technically we were better when Scott came on: before he came on we conceded 3 and scored 1. After he came on we scored 2 and conceded 1.

I'm not just talking about McTominay here. What's the point in pointing fingers at players? And repeating it over and over and over again.

Personally, I try not blaming individuals, unless it's a really glaring thing that leads to a goal against the team.

No player at this level of football hides from the ball. To even suggest as much is embarrassingly ignorant.

What's with this random influx of Newbie Scotland fans whose only purpose on here is to defend McTominay?

I remember saying we should accept like 55-60 million for the pair in that west ham fiasco and people claiming that was stupid and we should hold out for at least 40-45 for Mctominay alone. Those funds would've come in handy with our fecking leeches not caring about putting anything into the club

I'm guessing if it had been Newcastle bidding £30m, McTominay would probably be there now, having actively pushed for the move. I don't think he had any real interest in going to West Ham, same as Maguire.

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day anyway. If we had sold Scott, we'd probably have just signed Amrabat permanently instead of on loan and the squad would be slightly weaker right now than it already is.

1. But he's also been a defender, or a 6 or an 8. We're reaching Pogba levels of 'he just needs to play in the right position' here.
  2. Nothing in his cameo suggested we were a better team. We were chasing the game and we fought hard and showed spirit and nicked two goals out of persistence
  3. Yes we win and lose as a team but if one member of that team can't be arsed to run or press it does affect the team negatively. Look at that clip with his horrible first touch and lack of willingness to get back and tell me that that's effort.
  4. Pellistri ran his fecking heart out all game. I didn't think he was great but i can't fault his effort
As others have said the frustration among fans is that this is nothing new with McTominay, he's done it before and will do it again. I've seen some people argue that it's the managers fault for wanting him sold and that he has no motivation. That is absolute BS. As i said, i'm sure i read that Bernardo Silva was almost being pushed out of City at one point but he stayed and played a big part of their treble. United were happy to let Ole go in 1998 but he wanted to stay and fight for his place and look how that turned out. Is it too much to ask for some effort and to prove people wrong?

As Keane said there have just been too many players at this club who are bluffers who stay at the club for years. It's hard for fans to witness the same players have the same problems game after game, season after season and not feel immensely frustrated at the low standards.

In theory, he seems like a good player who has a lot of energy, physicality and can score a few goals from midfield.

In reality, he really sucks. While lack of quality is something we are used to, his lack of energy in the last two games has been simply shocking. Another one who has long overstayed his welcome and we'll regret turning down the 30 million offer for him.

Masterdarcy is right. All of you lot on this board are haters. How many midfielders can claim they have completed 24 passes in 4 matches. Scott is a midfield maestro.

Masterdarcy is right. All of you lot on this board are haters. How many midfielders can claim they have completed 24 passes in 4 matches. Scott is a midfield maestro.

Exactly. McTominay doesn't need to run either, he's got above average jogging speed.

Huh?

You've literally spent the last couple of months constantly saying that McTominay is a #8 or box-to-box midfielder, saying that the reason he isn't doing well for us is because we've been playing him as a #6 (conveniently ignoring that we actually played him as a #8 for most of his career until Rangnick and ETH came in by the way). Now after one shit cameo off the bench in that position and one shit start in a modified version of that position (the right of the diamond that he played against Brighton), you've flipped to him being a #10 or 9?

I remember ETH played him at #10 for one game last season and he also moved up there for about 20 minutes against Brighton, and he was shit in both of those as well.

Some of you who think he's been particularly lazy the last 2 games haven't been paying close enough attention. McTominay has always been lazy at tracking runners. It's the biggest myth out there that he really tries hard on defense. A couple of us have been pointing this out for years. Sure McTominay will sometimes get stuck in with hard tackles, but he won't try all that much on defense. Don't mistake his willingness to get rough with players as him having the heart to defend. The two are not the same.

He doesn’t need to cover every blade of grass, just the ones necessary to run back at full speed to help the team would be nice instead of seeing him prance back like he doesn’t have a care in the world.

Some of you who think he's been particularly lazy the last 2 games haven't been paying close enough attention. McTominay has always been lazy at tracking runners. It's the biggest myth out there that he really tries hard on defense. A couple of us have been pointing this out for years. Sure McTominay will sometimes get stuck in with hard tackles, but he won't try all that much on defense. Don't mistake his willingness to get rough with players as him having the heart to defend. The two are not the same.
im a bit suprised the floodgates have opened from last night, as thats how he plays anyway. Jogging in 3rd gear on the outskirts of the game is his thing. He's not particulary aggressive, how many crunching 50-50s do you see him going in for? He will jockey and watch the pass

A couple of you?

Good one.

What's with this random influx of Newbie Scotland fans whose only purpose on here is to defend McTominay?

Those that don’t agree with him should be banned don’t you know

How many times has it been said over the years by managers and the like that you may not match up on quality but you should never be beaten on effort as everybody has the same capacity in that regard.

Yes we lost as most thought we would because Bayern had a lot more quality on the pitch but we shouldn't be walking as the opposition is running away from us because there is no excuse for that except an injury.

He most certainly should be getting flak for not tracking back, especially when he was fresh on and running is basically his bread and butter.

Just fecking get rid.

Its not just about "are they sprinting" but is the challenge they put in when they get to the player with enough aggression. Its regularly half hearted with McTom. And this is where people will be fooled looking at a single stat. They'd say "Well the graphic said he covered the most distance so he's working hard" but running a large distance doesnt mean your tracking back and challenges were good. You could run half as much but be twice as determined in the challenge and make a more meaningful impression.

that was my point. To track runners you need to do more than casually stroll back, you need to up the intensity to catch up with them and put in the required tackle.

I thought I couldn't dislike this overrated Scottish Maguire any more but after that little jog, he needs to be sent to Haggisland permanently.

I’ve had a look at the last few pages and found these posts from these 3. All newbies, Recently joined and probably Scottish. Definitely something going on the way they have a complete blind spot for him.

Was excellent when he came on - should have started tonight for me.
Thought he was good last night when he came on. Made a number of box entries, excellent in his duels and off the ball work.
Still a better footballer than keyboard warrior who sits behind a screen......

The posting history of this guy :lol:. It’s all Zinedine Mctominay.

The way McTominay drove with the ball against Cyprus was incredible! so much power, energy and technical skill. He was taking the ball on the half turn and committing opposition defenders - they couldn't handle him he was popping up everywhere causing havoc and just being a general boss. That's the only way I can describe his performance, like he wanted to prove a point.
Some food for thought perhaps for the dumplings that are convinced Erik Ten Hag was actively trying to sell Scotty or that he doesn't rate him.
This is a player that was wanted by Roma, Bayern, Fulham, Everton, Newcastle and West Ham at various stages during the summer.

United would've been crazy to let him go and that's probably why they haven't.
Some good points on here. I feel that Scott is gaining in confidence and is showing everyone just how good a player he is on the international stage. I'm looking forward to seeing him back in the United team scoring goals once we resume the league campaign hopefully in a more advanced midfield role.
hmm, tough one - lots of options, but I'd say a winning approach would be to stick Scott McTominay in right midfield/right wing/right #10.
It's not just people on here who are thinking that. The Scotland National team boss had the same thought and it's working well. I don't see a good reason why it couldn't work for United.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/foot...rus-it-tells-everyone-what-were-about-4286896
Thanks - I thought he did quite well actually and I wouldn't be surprised to see him again deployed in that area against Bayern.
Would have probably been better starting McTominay against Bayern. Pellistri is a good prospect, but I think McTominay would have been better suited and I think it was clear for all to see after he came on that United looked better.

Last edited:
I’ve had a look at the last few pages and found these posts from these 3. All newbies, Recently joined and probably Scottish. Definitely something going on the way they have a complete blind spot for him.
Yeah, there’s surely no way this is coincidence :lol:

I have a feeling McSauce will be required for the weekends game at Burnley as I'm not sure Pellistri is up to the standard of being a Manchester Utd player just yet.

I'd like to see him get more of the play channeled through him. That would benefit the team greatly no doubt.

I have a feeling McSauce will be required for the weekends game at Burnley as I'm not sure Pellistri is up to the standard of being a Manchester Utd player just yet.

I'd like to see him get more of the play channeled through him. That would benefit the team greatly no doubt.
Who McTominay or Pellistri?

Status
Not open for further replies.