Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 8)

1. Empire
  2. Star Wars (I’m not lumping them)
  3. Close encounters (not seen many votes for this, fantastic film)
  4. Predestination
  5. Interstellar
Was considering Eternal Sunshine, Forbidden Planet (scary as a kid and Leslie Nielsen straight acting :lol:), Metropolis (ground breaking but feels it’s age), Silent Running and Arrival (I liked it). Also Jurassic Park (through in other round?)
@Dirty Schwein

Matrix
Aliens
Sunshine
Inception
Empire Strikes Back

Last edited:
12 Monkeys
The Matrix
Ex Machina
Edge Of Tomorrow
Aliens

Have to disagree. If Fury Road was just another typical action film it would have ended when they got to the all woman camp and then had a final big defensive battle with the bad guys.

What makes Fury Road great imo, is that Charlize Theron fantasy idea of a utopian identity land turns out to be shite. And rather then picking the options of continuing to run or to stay, she instead picks a third more radical option which is to embrace the universal and go back to the Citadel and use it’s tools for good of everyone (It’s actually cultural Marxism done correctly).

That's hardly a new theme as just about every Star Wars film, and many others, deal with the whole let's return power to the people theme. And one decision point in the movie is not enough to save it from the horrific writing and world-building and the fact it clearly feeds into some really obnoxious outdated tropes.

The whole let's save only these women that fulfill the contemporary culturally dominant definition of runway model beauty while the rest of the women are disposable is blatant and grating. The green utopia women are just another cliche. It feeds into just about every bad trope about the preteen male fantasy where only runway-looking models are worthwhile females. Compare that entire arc to Sigourney Weaver in the Alien franchise or even Sarah Connor and it's just comically bad how Fury Road feeds into these tropes.

Then there are problems with lack of character development, lack of agency in the runway model props, the fact that Max (irrelevant to the real plot which poses questions of why is he even there to begin with except to serve as a male savior that all hot women and even Furiosa need to rescue them cliche) has unrealistic borderline superpowers while Theron is shown to be more vulnerable which runs counter to the more realistic internal logic of the 80s Max Max movies, the green women's storyline lacks internally consistent logic, etc. There are the world-building flaws that just begin with the utter stupidity of having a guy with a concert stack of amps and some flamethrower guitar in a world where gas is supposed to be rare, all the inconsistencies about water, etc. You're right, it's not typical, it's atypically poorly written.

Yeah, I should have phrased that differently actually. Open endings can be great and very powerful, depending on the narrative/events so far. A lot of films that are primarily about exposing a problematic situation in society should probably actually end open-ended (at least to some extent), rather than having the sort of cathartic ending where everything comes together (or ends in ruin) for the story's protagnists - causes that suggests the situation is now over (for better or worse), while in everyday reality nothing has actually changed.

And for the Coen films, thinking of it more, the person actually said this in a way that suggested that the Coen's are just that deep/smart - cause my response was something like 'well, I'm not stupid, have seens lots of films, have really tried very hard to get it, and I don't - so I'm declaring these a lost cause'.

Of course, emotional state also come into it. If the film is trying to evoke a feeling/emotion rather than a specific point, and that feeling/emotion really doesn't resonate with you at that point in time, then it's not gonna do anything for you.

Pity. :D

(I generally like them actually, probably just except those films, and mostly because I felt deceived at the end.)

I'm not the biggest fan of the two films you mentioned (probably at the bottom of my Coen Bros list) so I don't have any attachment to defending them, it's the Coen Brothers noir films that I love the most (including True Grit there btw). I also loved No Country for Old Men but I'm a huge McCarthy fan and I love how the themes fit into his overall oeuvre - heck I even love The Counselor and think it's a great film despite some it not being considered a great work by most reviewers :lol:

I think what you say about openendedness makes sense. It has to be very intentional and have a point to work well and not just feel like a narrative flaw.

The best theory I have is Nolan films are like those very realistic oil painting or pencil drawings that always get massive numbers online. It’s very impressive as a technical achievement but it’s not Van Gogh.
I love Interstellar but I also completely agree with your analogy. But saying that, I don’t necessarily see that as criticism.

As a young kid I saw and was mesmerised by 2001, glued to it. The first VHS I owned and I rinsed it. The imagery married to that soundtrack (no doubt where my love of classical music comes from) properly captivated me. Interstellar, regardless of its many faults, does exactly the same at 47. I canna resist it:)

I'm not the biggest fan of the two films you mentioned (probably at the bottom of my Coen Bros list) so I don't have any attachment to defending them, it's the Coen Brothers noir films that I love the most (including True Grit there btw). I also loved No Country for Old Men but I'm a huge McCarthy fan and I love how the themes fit into his overall oeuvre - heck I even love The Counselor and think it's a great film despite some it not being considered a great work by most reviewers :lol:
I actually like most Coen brothers films - probably the comedies best, but still. I guess that's why those upset me more than they should have, especially since they kinda came all in a row. I should rewatch No Country though, I must have missed something given the high praise it continues to receive.

Could easily pick a dozen for this

1. The Matrix
2. Blade Runner
3. 2001
4. Children of men
5. Arrival

Leaving out BR 2049, Star Wars, Empire, Ex Machina, Under the Skin, Total Recall, RoboCop, Planet of the Apes, Predator, even Star Trek I or IV...

and Johnny Mnemonic!!!

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Inception
3. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
4. Starship Troopers
5. Jurassic Park

Clearly my opinion is not shared, but the Blade Runner sequel was better than the original. Great film.

I enjoyed Interstellar, but thought Inception was easily superior and is among Chris Nolan's stronger films. Interstellar doesn't belong in that group, but is much better than Tenet, which sucked.

Fury Road was awesome and Predator is a personal favourite, but they scream 'action film' to me. I would probably more readily have included the former, with it's dystopian world - a great fit for the 100mph story being told. Predator I actually listed in my top 5 action films, but somehow a film about an alien hunter kitted out with weaponry more advanced than our own didn't feel like it was a good fit in the science fiction round!

Enjoying seeing the love for Sunshine. Severely underrated. We need more Boyle science fiction.

1) The Matrix
2) Blade Runner 2049
3) Moon
4) Arrival
5) Wrath of Khan

That's hardly a new theme as just about every Star Wars film, and many others, deal with the whole let's return power to the people theme.
But Star War is like a reactionary fever dream. The resistance calls itself a republic but it’s leaders are royalty and it has a bloodline chosen person storyline. Which isn’t to say it’s bad but it’s the opposite Imo of what Fury Road is going for.
The whole let's save only these women that fulfill the contemporary culturally dominant definition of runway model beauty while the rest of the women are disposable is blatant and grating.
I hate having to do this nerd shit but

Charlize Theron has one truck and needs to fill that truck with the most valuable assists possible. So in a dystopian male dominated dictatorship centred around scarce resources, the good looking wives of the dictator are going to be a more valuable asset than the people begging for water. Also Theron character at the start is only interested in getting away to this fantasy idea of female dominant green place, she believes in the sexist shite just much as everyone else(Until the experiences she goes through in the film, which changes her outlook).

Then there are problems with lack of character development, lack of agency in the runway model props, the fact that Max (irrelevant to the real plot which poses questions of why is he even there to begin with except to serve as a male savior that all hot women and even Furiosa need to rescue them cliche)
The models have never required any skills, they’ve only ever been used as breeding tools. They are useless and they need saving. This isn’t because of some male gaze shite but the film setting out it’s in world material reality. If these characters had any agency it would undermine the dystopian element.

Max is an example of what happens when you keep running away. That’s his role to the plot, when he says you can go forward for 160 days but there’s nothing but salt, it actually means something because when that coward tells you it’s time to go home it’s worth listening to(Plus they literally have a group discussion where everyone inputs their own ideas into why it’s a good plan)

Compare that entire arc to Sigourney Weaver in the Alien franchise or even Sarah Connor and it's just comically bad how Fury Road feeds into these tropes.
The only survivor in the first Alien movie
d6e4b22f00bc9b739c121113a3c0cc72.jpg

Granted not everyone can be god king Cameron and yes in Terminator 2 Linda Hamilton looks like pure dog shite, which is great. But if pointing to a map is a male saviour complex then I’m not sure what you think of Terminator 1.

Tbh even if all of your criticisms of the film are correct, that George Miller thinks only women like Zoë Kravitz are worth saving, that Fury Road continues the long history of the Hollywood male gaze or whatever similar shite. None of this means the film is “bad”’ or really less interesting.
These types of criticisms reminds of the Clair Denis quote - I’m a director. I’m not a social worker.
There are the world-building flaws that just begin with the utter stupidity of having a guy with a concert stack of amps and some flamethrower guitar in a world where gas is supposed to be rare, all the inconsistencies about water, etc.
Like I’m sure there’s some in lore reason as to why the guy has a flamethrower guitar or it’s maybe a reference to the way we stupidly keep letting people have private jets while we know about climate change or a commentary on the madness of conservatism. It could have been done for a million reasons but at the end of the day, cinema is just pure vibes. A truck carrying a concert stack full of amps with some guy playing a flamethrower guitar is just fecking cool, there doesn’t need to any other reason for it.

I love Interstellar but I also completely agree with your analogy. But saying that, I don’t necessarily see that as criticism.
Oh its something that isnt to my personal taste but I guess I wouldn’t criticise Nolan for it, he clearly isn’t a bad director. He has his own style, which a lot others don’t. The Dark Knight by accident perfectly captures that 08 era and Dark Knight Rises is a very silly but fun movie, tbh I’m looking forward to his next film(Even if it’s just to see the first black and white imax film).
As a young kid I saw and was mesmerised by 2001, glued to it. The first VHS I owned and I rinsed it. The imagery married to that soundtrack (no doubt where my love of classical music comes from) properly captivated me. Interstellar, regardless of its many faults, does exactly the same at 47. I canna resist it:)
2001 is brilliant. I always think it’s unfairly criticised as people say it can be soulless and cold but that’s the point of the movie. Agree with you on classical music although for me it Clockwork Orange. His use of music in general is some of the best in cinema.

Enjoying seeing the love for Sunshine. Severely underrated. We need more Boyle science fiction.
It is on a shortlist of my favorite movies ever. I could never name a #1 and stick with it, but a top 10 right now would start with that as a constant in the list.

I actually like most Coen brothers films - probably the comedies best, but still. I guess that's why those upset me more than they should have, especially since they kinda came all in a row. I should rewatch No Country though, I must have missed something given the high praise it continues to receive.

No Country didn't work for me at the time and no more so when I watched it again recently.

I enjoyed most of the film but the last third was bizarre and totally spoilt the film imo. Almost Boyle's career summed up in one film. His highs, like Trainspotting, are brilliant but his lows both suck and blow.

Last edited:
2001 is brilliant. I always think it’s unfairly criticised as people say it can be soulless and cold but that’s the point of the movie.

Kubric never could do people or emotion, but it was the gibberish of ancient hominids and monoliths that was the worst for me.

Aliens
Predator
Arrival
Blade Runner 2049
Children of Men

Blade runner- The sequel is just a better movie than the original, although I doubt it wins the votes to get in.

Honourable mentions to Moon, District 9, Fury Road and Inception. Sunshine too. Sci fi should have been 10 choices, still wouldn't be enough :lol:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. The Fifth Element
3. Robocop
4. Aliens
5. Back to the Future 2

You seen The Vast Of The Night? It's on Amazon Prime. Brilliant low key sci-fi.
No, not seen that one, I'll check it out bud, cheers!

There was a great little sci fi on Netflix a while back called Midnight Special by Jeff Nicholls. Really good low key sci fi, would recommend.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Inception
3. Moon
4. District 9
5. The Matrix

1. Predator
2. Back to the Future
3. Terminator
4. K-PAX
5. Armageddon

It's very good indeed but I do still prefer the original no doubt at least partly due to nostalgic familiarity.

I think for that reason it will win more votes, but I just meanders along imo. It's also hard to judge given the multiple versions that have been released over the years.

The sequel doesn't come close to the original Blade Runner for me. The original is a classic. Great performances from the late Rutger Hauer (Roy Blatty was an amazing character) and Harrison Ford. An iconic movie.