Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 8)

Of course those three. Not much else he unfortunately was able to do. edit: wait, it's Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon and Enter the Dragon. Big Boss I actually prefer over Way of The Dragon (had them mixed up before, it's been a while since I saw those)

Enter the Dragon is truly excellent as a traditional action movie. Lee was an upcoming superstar in that time but yeah, unfortunately couldn't reap what he sowed. Movie connoisseurs around the world recognize his "threepeat" (=three consecutive action movies of the highest order).
So he actually has four including Big Boss. I thought he did Fist of the Unicorn before EtD, but he was just a director/choreographer. Undisputed.

Though if you wanted to be pedantic and you had, say, the initials DS, you might argue that these are martial arts films rather than action movies. A minor distinction, but a distinction nonetheless.

Last edited:
Check the second post in this thread :smirk:

:eek:

What a crazy coincidence. Although I very much oppose the notion of it being anything of a science-fiction movie. But we basically agree about the movie being awesome! :D

So he actually has four including Big Boss. I thought he did Fist of the Unicorn before EtD, but he was just a director/choreographer. Undisputed.

Though if you wanted to be pedantic and you if had, say, the initials DS, you might argue that these are martial arts films rather than action movies. A minor distinction, but a distinction nonetheless.
You read my mind :lol:
:eek:

What a crazy coincidence. Although I very much oppose the notion of it being anything of a science-fiction movie. But we basically agree about the movie being awesome! :D
It is amazing. I've seen it like 3 times.

Though if you wanted to be pedantic and you if had, say, the initials DS, you might argue that these are martial arts films rather than action movies. A minor distinction, but a distinction nonetheless.

But not four in a row since...scratch that, you're right: the other one is a TV production so doesn't count. Thanks for checking that out! The fifth movie feature of Bruce Lee would be Marlowe btw. - just a small role but enjoyable. I watched it by chance yesterday and it's not bad.

DS worded his idea a bit badly: "Does anyone find better three-in-a-row-Nic-Cage-traditional-action-movies than those I mentioned?" (after all Nic Cage shot A LOT of movies).

Martial Arts is a traditional sub genre of Action movies. Don't make yourself look like a biased N.Cage fanboi DS!

It is amazing. I've seen it like 3 times.

Me too. No kidding: saw it three times in a row (last one with commentary)!

1 stalker
2 Solaris the soviet version
3 blade runner (does it count?)
4 Akira anime (against does it count?), if not ghost in the shell*
5 the day earth stood still because why the feck not.

The notable exception: i absolutely adore Kubrick but God do i despise the odyssey, easily his most over rated work in my opinion.

A ton of good movie to choose from but I think thats a decent list some honorable mentions would be the likes of moon or star trek 2 etc etc.

Find me someone who made 3 constitutively amazing action films like Cage did with The Rock, Con Air & Face/Off.

Iko Uwais:
The Raid
The Raid 2
The Night Comes For Us

end discussion....

I'd even argue the Wicks are better than those three Cages.

Yeah, but they're still action films....just featuring martial arts like a lot of action movies these days.
I'm talking pure gun totting madness. This is a losing arguement for you because I have 1000000 excuses :lol:

I'm talking pure gun totting madness. This is a losing arguement for you because I have 1000000 excuses :lol:

I wouldn't say those films are exactly gun-toting though either?? That's more Expendables territory.

So what good sci-fi films was Nicholas Cage in then?

(I'm thinking I'm going to be surprised here.)

So what good sci-fi films was Nicholas Cage in then?

(I'm thinking I'm going to be surprised here.)
This gem, Jiu Jitsu fighters vs aliens:
Jiu_Jitsu_film_poster.png

Knowing gets a bad rep but I like it. With some leeway Next is also SciFi, or Color out of Space
Knowing is in my Netflix list actually, but I keep forgetting what it's supposed to be about. :D
Face Off, duh...
Riiiiight...

(I have no right to question that though, I voted for Children of Men here.)

I'd agree that the only action movie stars that have hit three good movies in a row are martial arts stars. Bruce Lee and Iko Uwais I would agree with but I will also add:

Zhang Ziyi
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hero
House of Flying Daggers

Knowing is in my Netflix list actually, but I keep forgetting what it's supposed to be about. :D

Riiiiight...

(I have no right to question that though, I voted for Children of Men here.)

Surely there's no issue with categorising Children of Men as sci-fi?

I'd agree that the only action movie stars that have hit three good movies in a row are martial arts stars. Bruce Lee and Iko Uwais I would agree with but I will also add:

Zhang Ziyi
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hero
House of Flying Daggers

Other than Nic Cage, you mean?

Surely there's no issue with categorising Children of Men as sci-fi?
It was discussed in round 3 (fantasy & superheroes):
I'd love to see people embrace films like Gattaca, Children of Men, and Moon for the SF category. Bonus points if anyone votes for Metropolis. But outside 2001 (of which I'm not a great fan) edit: and Bladerunner, I expect more space opera stuff. So much good SF though - just a perfect genre for social commentary and experimental stories.
I don't know where to put CoM, but it probably isn't SciFi for me. Moon is a great movie, and hopefully features highly.
Children of Men Sci-fi? Straightforward (dystopian) thriller I would have thought.
Well, it's set in the future and there's some limited future tech - so I suppose it qualifies.

The thing is that many films fit many genres, and that most films that I would consider really good would only properly fit the drama category. So at least for myself (for what little it's worth), I'm trying to insert some of my favorites in other geners that they could kinda fit into.

Good calls. Don't know Iko Uwais so have to check him out.

I have one more: Toshiro Mifune
did shoot also a lot of excellent dramas and so inbetween so was harder than I thought to find three in a row but here we go:

1965 - Fort Graveyard
1966 - Rise Against the Sword
1966 - The Sword of Doom
1966 - Kiganjo no boken

The latter I haven't watched but appears to be very enjoyable and it's a pity that his truly groundbreaking movies couldn't be included but that's a list of consecutive action movies Mr. Cage could only dream off. As a bonus: real action here and not just pewpew.. ;)

It was discussed in round 3 (fantasy & superheroes):

The dystopian future world setting means a sci-fi grouping really shouldn't be questioned for me. Doesn't rule out the film also fitting nicely into another genre - in fact, can you think of a film that could be categorised solely as science fiction, one for which it could not be reasonably argued as being anything else? I don't think I can.

Iko Uwais is brilliant. The Raid is one of my favourite films.

The Raid is great, but the second one is certainly not as good as any of Face Off, The Rock or Con Air (despite having perhaps the best one on one fight scene I've seen in film). I've not seen the third film mentioned.à

The Raid is great, but the second one is certainly not as good as any of Face Off, The Rock or Con Air (despite having perhaps the best one on one fight scene I've seen in film). I've not seen the third film mentioned.à
Yeah the second one was too bloated.

The dystopian future world setting means a sci-fi grouping really shouldn't be questioned for me. Doesn't rule out the film also fitting nicely into another genre - in fact, can you think of a film that could be categorised solely as science fiction, one for which it could not be reasonably argued as being anything else? I don't think I can.
No, I agree, and that's what I've said a few times already: sci-fi is usually a setting or context in which a story is placed and rarely the actual focus of the story.

And I did vote for CoM in this thread, so I do agree. :)

Last edited:
Y'all can laugh but we all know without Cage, that film would never have been half as good! The most iconic shot from it literally has him in it...

The-Rock-1996.jpg
Such actioning... He's essentially waving a white flag. Dwayne Johnson isn't even in it ffs.