Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 8)

I actually agree with most of this. However, and I say this as a massive sci fi fan, I genuinely believe peoples annoyance with Nolan (which is sometimes completely justified btw) carries over / blinds people to how great a movie Interstellar actually is. Yeah sure it's a blockbuster and there's holes in it, no argument, but to someone who is just fascinated and overawed with space and the possibilities it holds, Insterstellar is right up there. The visuals and soundtrack are amazing.

It's a very imperfect spectacle of a film but it's also got a level of grounding with blight killing our crops that, as someone who's job it is to combat blight (my industry), I can't help but be invested because the scenario is actually not that far removed from a potential real world crisis. I agree it's a big movie that maybe over-reaches and tries to do too much but I'd rather that from my sci fi than tidy little clinical packages that don't reach too far. After all, isn't that what sci fi is? It's big, it's fun.

Anyway, this is just my opinion of course but I love movies, big and small but Interstellar completely strokes my balls :)
I actually get that. I remember watching Interstellar in the cinema. The first two hours I was blown away. As you have said, great imagery, great sound. Pure bombast. Thrilling throughout. And then they got Anne Hathaway talking about love as a power that can travel throughout the universe. It was like, to stay with your analogy, someone was very gently stroking my balls and just before I got to the point, they kicked me right into it. And I'm not much of a fan of stuff like this. ^^

I actually agree with most of this. However, and I say this as a massive sci fi fan, I genuinely believe peoples annoyance with Nolan (which is sometimes completely justified btw) carries over / blinds people to how great a movie Interstellar actually is. Yeah sure it's a blockbuster and there's holes in it, no argument, but to someone who is just fascinated and overawed with space and the possibilities it holds, Insterstellar is right up there. The visuals and soundtrack are amazing.

It's a very imperfect spectacle of a film but it's also got a level of grounding with blight killing our crops that, as someone who's job it is to combat blight (my industry), I can't help but be invested because the scenario is actually not that far removed from a potential real world crisis. I agree it's a big movie that maybe over-reaches and tries to do too much but I'd rather that from my sci fi than tidy little clinical packages that don't reach too far. After all, isn't that what sci fi is? It's big, it's fun.

Anyway, this is just my opinion of course but I love movies, big and small but Interstellar completely strokes my balls :)
You seen The Vast Of The Night? It's on Amazon Prime. Brilliant low key sci-fi.
You think cartoons are made for adults? :eek:
Don't start a war ya knobber :lol:
I actually get that. I remember watching Interstellar in the cinema. The first two hours I was blown away. As you have said, great imagery, great sound. Pure bombast. Thrilling throughout. And then they got Anne Hathaway talking about love as a power that can travel throughout the universe. It was like, to stay with your analogy, someone was very gently stroking my balls and just before I got to the point, they kicked me right into it. And I'm not much of a fan of stuff like this. ^^
I felt like this verbatim.

Yeah it's pretty good. Also, I edited my post slightly as I thought it came across as a little passive aggressive, which wasn't my intention :)

No worries, I wasn't offended at all! :)

He literally lifts frames from it.

My issue with Nolan fans are the "you just didn't like it cos you didn't understand it" line they come up with. This happened a lot after I said I didn't like Inception... Which literally had a character explaining things in every scene like he was the paperclip from Microsoft Word ffs.

I never really came across people like that myself. Usually, I hear that exact line more from people that only like arthouse movies and look down on anything else.

We're not going to agree about this, I'm starting to believe. ^^

Probably not if you actually enjoyed Fury Road which was probably the most frustrating and lazy movie I've ever seen after taking into account expectations and critical reviews and Oscar nominations. Probably the worst writing I've seen in a movie that got an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. I don't think there was a single Best Picture nominee I hated more than Fury Road.

1. Predator
2. Total Recall
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. The Matrix
5. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

I never really came across people like that myself. Usually, I hear that exact line more from people that only like arthouse movies and look down on anything else.
I had someone use that line on me for disliking the openendedness of a coupe of Coen Brother films (probably A Serious Man and Inside Llewyn Davis). Does that count or will it lead to another war? I'll add No Country For Old Man if it helps. :wenger:

I know everyone laughs at my opinions but I'm just gonna say it... I havent liked a single Nolan film since after The Dark Knight. Interstellar was the closest I found enjoyment from his films since then but that "love transcends all" bullshit made me nearly stop watching the film there and then.

Nah, right there with you except that it stops with Batman Begins for me. Imho it's mostly pretentious bombast cinema with very little content. Visuals being his strongest trait but albeit being very professional lack soul and appear rather bland imho. But to each their own.

Paprika is a good shout, been ages I've seen it. There is another rather underrated anime called Metropolis. Like Grave of the Fireflies or Jin Roh (which would suit this genre). I'd add Ghost in the Shell which is right up there with the best sci-fi. Sequel is decent as well.

I had someone use that line on me for disliking the openendedness of a coupe of Coen Brother films (probably A Serious Man and Inside Llewyn Davis). Does that count or will it lead to another war? I'll add No Country For Old Man if it helps. :wenger:

I think the problem with lines like "you just didn't understand it" or "that's just a stupid person's idea of a smart movie" and variations is that both are just counter-productive and poorly thought-out and little more than just indirect insults for what people like and enjoy and don't like. They assert this superiority in the asserter that their opinions are just objectively better than someone else. Basically, they are saying "you are stupid if you like or dislike this movie" so whatever we hear it in response to, it tends to just put us off. I think everyone has movies (and books for that matter) that might speak powerfully to them but not to others and that's not a bad thing. I think its awesome that a film or book that I personally don't find interesting can still spark intense, positive feelings in others and we can all probably be a little more empathetic on stuff we don't like but others do (except if it's Fury Road ;)

The second theme from your post is that of the open-ended ending, which is definitely controversial in all storytelling forms, from literary to blockbuster movies. I think its a tricky topic where sometimes I can see the value in the open-ended ending and sometimes it just feels like poor writing to not tie things together better. I tend to take those on a case-by-case basis but I can see why some people feel that ending can ruin something for them.

And yes, I sidestepped the issue about Coen Brothers films in particular ;)

Last edited:
  1. Aliens
  2. Terminator 2
  3. Blade Runner
  4. The Matrix
  5. Starship Troopers
Had to take off Moon, I couldn’t leave ST out

I think the problem with lines like "you just didn't understand it" or "that's just a stupid person's idea of a smart movie" and variations are both just counter-productive and poorly thought-out comments because they are little more than just indirect insults for what people like and enjoy and don't like. They assert this superiority in the asserter that their opinions are just objectively better than someone else. Basically, they are saying "you are stupid if you like or dislike this movie" so whatever we hear it in response to, it tends to just put us off. I think everyone has movies (and books for that matter) that might speak powerfully to them but not to others and that's not a bad thing. I think its awesome that a film or book that I personally don't find interesting can still spark intense, positive feelings in others and we can all probably be a little more empathetic on stuff we don't like but others do (except if it's Fury Road ;)

The second theme from your post is that of the open-ended ending, which is definitely controversial in all storytelling forms, from literary to blockbuster movies. I think its a tricky topic where sometimes I can see the value in the open-ended ending and sometimes it just feels like poor writing to not tie things together better. I tend to take those on a case-by-case basis but I can see why some people feel that ending can ruin something for them.

I love how what you're describing amounts to this :D

@Sweet Square knows

1. Aliens
  2. Terminator 2
  3. Blade Runner
  4. The Matrix
  5. Starship Troopers
Had to take off Moon, I couldn’t leave ST out
Terminator 2 was the first movie to make it to the KO round (in the very first round of the contest) so feel free to remove that.

Well, not what you said directly but rather your take-down of film snobbery and the idea of 'not getting it'.

The context of this clip is that she's a former director who meets a guy in a bar and hopes he might be a potential romance match but she can't get over him enjoying Nolan and disliking Ozu.

She hasn't matured enough to accept people can be moved by something that doesn't move her.

1 - 2001
2 - Blade Runner
3 - Stalker
4 - The Empire Strikes Back
5 - Under the Skin

Well, not what you said directly but rather your take-down of film snobbery and the idea of 'not getting it'.

The context of this clip is that she's a former director who meets a guy in a bar and hopes he might be a potential romance match but she can't get over him enjoying Nolan and disliking Ozu.

She hasn't matured enough to accept people can be moved by something that doesn't move her.

Okay, fair enough, that makes sense. :lol: I must be thick because I never realized Nolan was so polarizing

I approve of this change.

You know, just since you stanned for Predator, there was a poster I knew about 20 years ago on another forum that very firmly argued that Predator was the greatest post-modern film ever made. I have to say his arguments influenced my choice of Predator for this round

You know, just since you stanned for Predator, there was a poster I knew about 20 years ago on another forum that very firmly argued that Predator was the greatest post-modern film ever made. I have to say his arguments influenced my choice of Predator for this round
I watched it (8/10) along with Gattaca (7/10) in preparation for this round and it still held up. Gattaca was…okay I guess. It was not ‘Interstellar minus the last act’ good.

I once walked into work after watching Predator and said "just watched the best film ever" and a guy popped his head up and said "what? Predator?"

We've remained friend since that day :lol:

Tactical voting, eh? I like it!
For silly things like politics I’m an idealist but when it comes to serious matters like this, compromise is inevitable.
Interstellar is one of those films I dread admitting that I don't like. Not because I think it's a film that you're supposed to like, but because for some reason I run into so many fans of the film. Especially nerdy guys. I recently met a self-proclaimed film nerd who had Interstellar as his favorite film. I had to channel my inner diplomat in order to not offend him.
Same as yourself I honestly just don’t get why so many people like it. The best theory I have is Nolan films are like those very realistic oil painting or pencil drawings that always get massive numbers online. It’s very impressive as a technical achievement but it’s not Van Gogh.

The weird thing is I like listening to Nolan talk about movies. The guy is very sincere for his love of film. Just never personally really get any of that from his films.
(And yes, Stalker sounds like a movie I should see, @Sweet Square!)
Don’t want to say anything that might spoil it, tbh it took me a while to really get it but yeah it’s a must watch. Also the full movie is up on the Mosfilm YouTube channel, completely free in 1080p with English subtitles.
Fury Road had no meaningful point or message and I'd say Inception or even a sloppy Nolan film like Interstellar was better at having a point and delivering a message than Fury Road. Fury Road was just lazy, nonsensical writing (all these super model-looking girls being bred in this world was laughable and just an old 13-year pubescent male cliche that made no sense in that world) and internally inconsistent world-building like everything to do with gas and water. Rarely do I feel insulted by a movie's writing and world building but Fury Road was about the worst I've seen in that regard.
Have to disagree. If Fury Road was just another typical action film it would have ended when they got to the all woman camp and then had a final big defensive battle with the bad guys.

What makes Fury Road great imo, is that Charlize Theron fantasy idea of a utopian identity land turns out to be shite. And rather then picking the options of continuing to run or to stay, she instead picks a third more radical option which is to embrace the universal and go back to the Citadel and use it’s tools for good of everyone (It’s actually cultural Marxism done correctly).
@Sweet Square why does it always come back to this?

:lol:

Honestly had that video ready to post. Although you’ve misread that scene as it’s clearly about showing the audience that lee chan-sil is a woman of great compassion and emotional intelligence, because she all her will power to not glass that guy in the back of the head for his stupid opinions about movies!

I'm actually looking forward to the thriller round because for once, my choices are actually really good :nervous:

1. Empire
  2. Star Wars (I’m not lumping them)
  3. Close encounters (not seen many votes for this, fantastic film)
  4. Terminator II
  5. interstellar
Was considering Eternal Sunshine, Forbidden Planet (scary as a kid and Leslie Nielsen straight acting :lol:), Metropolis (ground breaking but feels it’s age), Silent Running and Arrival (I liked it). Also Jurassic Park (through in other round?)

I think the problem with lines like "you just didn't understand it" or "that's just a stupid person's idea of a smart movie" and variations is that both are just counter-productive and poorly thought-out and little more than just indirect insults for what people like and enjoy and don't like. They assert this superiority in the asserter that their opinions are just objectively better than someone else. Basically, they are saying "you are stupid if you like or dislike this movie" so whatever we hear it in response to, it tends to just put us off. I think everyone has movies (and books for that matter) that might speak powerfully to them but not to others and that's not a bad thing. I think its awesome that a film or book that I personally don't find interesting can still spark intense, positive feelings in others and we can all probably be a little more empathetic on stuff we don't like but others do (except if it's Fury Road ;)

Yeah, I should have phrased that differently actually. Open endings can be great and very powerful, depending on the narrative/events so far. A lot of films that are primarily about exposing a problematic situation in society should probably actually end open-ended (at least to some extent), rather than having the sort of cathartic ending where everything comes together (or ends in ruin) for the story's protagnists - causes that suggests the situation is now over (for better or worse), while in everyday reality nothing has actually changed.

And for the Coen films, thinking of it more, the person actually said this in a way that suggested that the Coen's are just that deep/smart - cause my response was something like 'well, I'm not stupid, have seens lots of films, have really tried very hard to get it, and I don't - so I'm declaring these a lost cause'.

Of course, emotional state also come into it. If the film is trying to evoke a feeling/emotion rather than a specific point, and that feeling/emotion really doesn't resonate with you at that point in time, then it's not gonna do anything for you.
Pity. :D

(I generally like them actually, probably just except those films, and mostly because I felt deceived at the end.)

1. Empire
  2. Star Wars (I’m not lumping them)
  3. Close encounters (not seen many votes for this, fantastic film)
  4. Terminator II
  5. interstellar
Was considering Eternal Sunshine, Forbidden Planet (scary as a kid and Leslie Nielsen straight acting :lol:), Metropolis (ground breaking but feels it’s age), Silent Running and Arrival (I liked it). Also Jurassic Park (through in other round?)
T2 already through bud
Is Left Behind one?
:lol: