Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 8)

1. Starship Troopers.
2. Fifth Element
3. Matrix
4. Interstellar
5. Revenge of the Sith

I’m fecking sad to see a lack of Starship Troopers. It’s a damn Masterpiece!

giphy.webp

It doesn't have this

Hollow double cross greeting anyway. P2 has this:

Lots of good sci-fi films. :-)

1. Bladerunner
2. Children of Men
3. Gattaca
4. Moon
5. 12 Monkeys

Lots of good sci-fi films. :-)

1. Bladerunner
2. Children of Men
3. Gattaca
4. Moon
5. 12 Monkeys
Such an underrated movie this one. I think they made a spiritual sequel which was meant to be awful.

Tbh I wanted to put Children Of Men(Surprised it’s doing so well atm) as my number one pick but I can’t post on a forum where Stalker doesn’t make the top 5 or Blade Runner loses to Interstellar.

1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. Matrix
  3. Inception
  4. Blade Runner
  5. Predator

Tbh I wanted to put Children Of Men(Surprised it’s doing so well atm) as my number one pick but I can’t post on a forum where Stalker doesn’t make the top 5 or Blade Runner loses to Interstellar.

Tactical voting, eh? I like it!

Interstellar is one of those films I dread admitting that I don't like. Not because I think it's a film that you're supposed to like, but because for some reason I run into so many fans of the film. Especially nerdy guys. I recently met a self-proclaimed film nerd who had Interstellar as his favorite film. I had to channel my inner diplomat in order to not offend him.

1 The Empire Strikes Back
2 Star Wars
3 Close encounters of a third kind
4 E.T
5 The Abyss.

Tactical voting, eh? I like it!

Interstellar is one of those films I dread admitting that I don't like. Not because I think it's a film that you're supposed to like, but because for some reason I run into so many fans of the film. Especially nerdy guys. I recently met a self-proclaimed film nerd who had Interstellar as his favorite film. I had to channel my inner diplomat in order to not offend him.
I know everyone laughs at my opinions but I'm just gonna say it... I havent liked a single Nolan film since after The Dark Knight. Interstellar was the closest I found enjoyment from his films since then but that "love transcends all" bullshit made me nearly stop watching the film there and then.

I know everyone laughs at my opinions but I'm just gonna say it... I havent liked a single Nolan film since after The Dark Knight. Interstellar was the closest I found enjoyment from his films since then but that "love transcends all" bullshit made me nearly stop watching the film there and then.
Think it's a tricky one. If you leave out the last 30 minutes it's fantastic, I think. Attention to detail, cast, score, even the plot is good. As soon as they enter the black hole it all goes to shit, though

I know everyone laughs at my opinions but I'm just gonna say it... I havent liked a single Nolan film since after The Dark Knight.

I'm certainly not gonna laugh at that. I don't even like his Batman trilogy. This will just get me in trouble with the comic book crowd though. And teasing them is just fun :lol:

Think it's a tricky one. If you leave out the last 30 minutes it's fantastic, I think. Attention to detail, cast, score, even the plot is good. As soon as they enter the black hole it all goes to shit, though
Yeah but for me, I need the entire film to hold up. Interstellar shits the bed towards the end... Alien... amazing from the first minute to the last. That's a great film! Interstellar... 6/10
I'm certainly not gonna laugh at that. I don't even like his Batman trilogy. This will just get me in trouble with the comic book crowd though. And teasing them is just fun :lol:
Mate just shoulder barge them as you walk past them on the streets.

I really enjoy Nolan's films myself. I think he's the best at making big-budget blockbusters in the business. I've enjoyed every single one of his movies and I find them superior to the other high-budget films out there from Marvel to other niche picks (like i hated Fury Road, the worst writing and world-building I've seen in a movie).

I have a personal theory that Nolan movies are well liked because he manages to make simple stories look difficult and the viewers can feel smart after watching them. Feeling like they solved a complicated riddle, while they actually did a jigsaw puzzle for five year olds.

1. Starship Troopers.
2. Fifth Element
3. Matrix
4. Interstellar
5. Revenge of the Sith

I’m fecking sad to see a lack of Starship Troopers. It’s a damn Masterpiece!
Hardest round for me. I could easily fit 10 - 15 films into my top favourite sci fi. Starship troopers is a classic no doubt.

I have a personal theory that Nolan movies are well liked because he manages to make simple stories look difficult and the viewers can feel smart after watching them. Feeling like they solved a complicated riddle, while they actually did a jigsaw puzzle for five year olds.
So dumb people like Nolan films because it makes them feel clever?

Naw, that sounds like a snobby, superiority complex take to me - the type I used to hear from arthouse snobs that were exhausting to talk to. Nolan's films are just entertaining original movies (not based on other source material like the majority of the stuff out there now) with writing and world-building that is fairly internally consistent (unlike Fury Road for example).

giphy.gif

So dumb people like Nolan films because it makes them feel clever?

Nah, it’s not exclusive to dumb people. Plenty smart ones like his movies. Nolan is to blockbusters what Big Bang Theory is to sitcoms.

I remember culture had a huge hard-on for science/complicated shit around the mid 2010s. I think Nolan's movies played a big role in it

Last edited:
Naw, that sounds like a snobby, superiority complex take to me - the type I used to hear from arthouse snobs that were exhausting to talk to. Nolan's films are just entertaining original movies (not based on other source material like the majority of the stuff out there now) with writing and world-building that is fairly internally consistent (unlike Fury Road for example).
I’m definitely a snob. So there’s that. But I love Fury Road. Because it’s straight to the point and delivers its message well. And actually has one.
Nolan is just preoccupied with coming up with some plot twists to mask the fact that his movies carry no message at all. Which I’m actually fine with. It’s just that I’m annoyed by pretending there is one.
Will never forget the ending to the Prestige. Rarely did I feel so insulted by a movies ending. All this complicated build up and the finale prestige was this incredibly lazy conclusion.

The man has immense talent. But he would be better if he actually had any source material to go by. Just because he writes his stuff by himself, doesn’t make it good.

Moon's a great shout. Forgot about it completely.
To me, the most interesting sci-fi is where they use the liberties they can take with techonology to explore something new. So not the space opera stuff, but films like Moon and Gattaca, and even 12 Monkeys and Bladerunner to some extent. Children of Men doesn't fit that point as well, and it's barely (as discussed in another voting thread), but I just really wanted to include it here.

(And yes, Stalker sounds like a movie I should see, @Sweet Square!)

I know what you mean but Inception is heavily inspired by a Japanese children's movie called Paprika. It's definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed the former

I’m definitely a snob. So there’s that. But I love Fury Road. Because it’s straight to the point and delivers its message well. And actually has one.
Nolan is just preoccupied with coming up with some plot twists to mask the fact that his movies carry no message at all. Which I’m actually fine with. It’s just that I’m annoyed by pretending there is one.
Will never forget the ending to the Prestige. Rarely did I feel so insulted by a movies ending. All this complicated build up and the finale prestige was this incredibly lazy conclusion.

The man has immense talent. But he would be better if he actually had any source material to go by. Just because he writes his stuff by himself, doesn’t make it good.

Fury Road had no meaningful point or message and I'd say Inception or even a sloppy Nolan film like Interstellar was better at having a point and delivering a message than Fury Road. Fury Road was just lazy, nonsensical writing (all these super model-looking girls being bred in this world was laughable and just an old 13-year pubescent male cliche that made no sense in that world) and internally inconsistent world-building like everything to do with gas and water. Rarely do I feel insulted by a movie's writing and world building but Fury Road was about the worst I've seen in that regard.

Anyway, I do agree about Prestige though, that was a great movie for me but the ending could have been better.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to take some issue with this. Inception is heavily inspired by a Japanese children's movie called Paprika. You could watch the movies back to back and notice loads of parallels

Fair enough and cheers for that! I'll definitely check that out. I haven't heard of that one, and I do watch some anime. I'm putting this on my list.

1. 2001
2. Stalker
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Metropolis
5. Solyaris

I know what you mean but Inception is heavily inspired by a Japanese children's movie called Paprika. It's definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed the former

Paprika is great. It's not a children's movie though. At least that's not how I remember it.

Fair enough and cheers for that! I'll definitely check that out. I haven't heard of that one, and I do watch some anime. I'm putting this on my list.
He literally lifts frames from it.

My issue with Nolan fans are the "you just didn't like it cos you didn't understand it" line they come up with. This happened a lot after I said I didn't like Inception... Which literally had a character explaining things in every scene like he was the paperclip from Microsoft Word ffs.

Fury Road had no meaningful point or message and I'd say Inception or even a sloppy Nolan film like Interstellar was better at having a point and delivering a message than Fury Road. Fury Road was just lazy, nonsensical writing (all these super model-looking girls being bred in this world was laughable and just an old 13-year pubescent male cliche that made no sense in that world) and internally inconsistent world-building like everything to do with gas and water. Rarely do I feel insulted by a movie's writing and world building but Fury Road was about the worst I've seen in that regard.

Anyway, I do agree about Prestige though, that was a great movie for me but the ending could have been better.
We're not going to agree about this, I'm starting to believe. ^^

I actually agree with most of this. However, and I say this as a massive sci fi fan, I genuinely believe peoples annoyance with Nolan (which is sometimes completely justified btw) carries over / blinds people to how great a movie Interstellar actually is. Yeah sure it's a blockbuster and there's holes in it, no argument, but to someone who is just fascinated and overawed with space and the possibilities it holds, Insterstellar is right up there. The visuals and soundtrack are amazing.

It's a very imperfect spectacle of a film but it's also got a level of grounding with blight killing our crops that, as someone who's job it is to combat blight (my industry), I can't help but be invested because the scenario is actually not that far removed from a potential real world crisis. I agree it's a big movie that maybe over-reaches and tries to do too much but I'd rather that from my sci fi than tidy little clinical packages that don't reach far enough. After all, isn't that what sci fi is? It's big, it's fun.

Anyway, this is just my opinion of course but I love movies, big and small but Interstellar completely strokes my balls :)

Last edited: