Rasmus Hojlund image 9

Rasmus Hojlund Denmark flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

I had the fortunate opportunity to be under the stadium and see the players as they made there way to the bus.

I chatted with Rasmus and he said that he will be ok...

He said maybe a little "tear", which I assume is what we would typically call a pulled muscle in the states.

He was walking fine and in good spirits!

Mods believe you'll review this post given my low post count. Happy to provide proof.

I'm not against the games... but getting your roster players hurt in preseason doesnt do anything for your team during the season. I know dangerous tackles and injuries are part of the game, but we can do better prep work than that without loosing our best players.

Utd have been going all over the world for the last 30 years, Asia, Australia, Malaysia, South Africa & America. Nobody complained when there was a league title at the end of the season.

Imagine thinking the best way to prepare for a season of football is still to train and play some football games somewhere else.

If there's a better way to prep for the season, why then in over 100 years of football with all the advancements in medical and sports science has nobody found it?

Utd have been going all over the world for the last 30 years, Asia, Australia, Malaysia, South Africa & America. Nobody complained when there was a league title at the end of the season.

Imagine thinking the best way to prepare for a season of football is still to train and play some football games somewhere else.

If there's a better way to prep for the season, why then in over 100 years of football with all the advancements in medical and sports science has nobody found it?

You’re making it quite black and white, when in reality it isn’t. Utd travel abroad, and play as many games as they think they can reasonably play, in order to get exposure to foreign markets. It’s not like no one has thought of any other ways, for example less travelling, but they’ve made a calculation that the financial advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

1. What are your expectations of Højlund this season?

2. What do you think United’s expectations will be of Højlund this season?

Way more goals. 20 at least. He just needs to calm down and he can do it. He gets in good positions all the time but rushes everything.

Depends on his fitness. But assuming he's fit and plays 40+ games, I think a really good statistical season would be 20-25 goals, 3-5 assists. Outside of the stats, what I'd really like to see is improving his strength in the hold up (he looks strong but always seems to exhaust too much energy in duels such that his touch suffers tremendously), better win rate of 1 on 1 duels, and getting more aggressive in his shot selection.

Last edited:
I think more than just stats, I'd like to see him develop his involvement into the overall play of the team. Ruud should be able to help him out a lot with his hold up play.

I had the fortunate opportunity to be under the stadium and see the players as they made there way to the bus.

I chatted with Rasmus and he said that he will be ok...

He said maybe a little "tear", which I assume is what we would typically call a pulled muscle in the states.

He was walking fine and in good spirits!

Mods believe you'll review this post given my low post count. Happy to provide proof.

Tomorrow we'll hear that Rasmus needed a hamstring replacement given how bad the tear was.

You’re making it quite black and white, when in reality it isn’t. Utd travel abroad, and play as many games as they think they can reasonably play, in order to get exposure to foreign markets. It’s not like no one has thought of any other ways, for example less travelling, but they’ve made a calculation that the financial advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Pre season is all about getting the team together, building fitness, playing a few games and preparing for the season ahead. Travelling is part of that. Yes it's mostly commercially driven, you have a global fan lbase, you want to give fans around the world a chance to see the team play. The only time they'll see the team play in their country is pre season. The other part about the squad travelling together is team bonding, if everyone was back in England they'd just head home or go get some more stupid neck tattoos or a ridiculous haircut. They wouldn't spend much extra time outside of football together.

This idea that they shouldn't travel or players shouldn't be played in certain games is nonsense. I've never seen such moaning about pre season than I have this year. I remember Barthez going outfield in a friendly in Singapore, Utd were winning by 6 or 7 and he came on for Ruud. I can't imagine the fecking meltdowns on here in ETH threw Onana up top for a few mins for Hojlund.

Pre season is all about getting the team together, building fitness, playing a few games and preparing for the season ahead. Travelling is part of that. Yes it's mostly commercially driven, you have a global fan lbase, you want to give fans around the world a chance to see the team play. The only time they'll see the team play in their country is pre season. The other part about the squad travelling together is team bonding, if everyone was back in England they'd just head home or go get some more stupid neck tattoos or a ridiculous haircut. They wouldn't spend much extra time outside of football together.

This idea that they shouldn't travel or players shouldn't be played in certain games is nonsense. I've never seen such moaning about pre season than I have this year. I remember Barthez going outfield in a friendly in Singapore, Utd were winning by 6 or 7 and he came on for Ruud. I can't imagine the fecking meltdowns on here in ETH threw Onana up top for a few mins for Hojlund.

Not entirely replying to your points, but Barthez was apparently a pretty damn good footballer for a GK

Not entirely replying to your points, but Barthez was apparently a pretty damn good footballer for a GK

Ruud had just joined for around 20m and he gets replaced by the lunatic keeper for the last 10 mins of a nothing friendly. Sort of shit you get away with when you are winning.

Barthez was a good footballer, I always liked him as a player, he was an accident waiting to happen, but I loved his showmanship and his style of play. No fear and didn't give two fecks either, there's a video of him somewhere getting the ball on the edge of the box and just running into midfield with it, fairly sure it was with Utd. He was mad to be fair and he was beyond redemption after his first couple of years at Utd.

Anyway, besides the point, Hojlund picked up a minor knock, he'll be fine. All this pre season moaning has to stop, it's like the moaners are getting their own pre season in, to be ready to fire on all cylinders in a few weeks.

Might have missed it - but United website showing Hojlund as 9 when you go to shirt printing section.

Needs to work on his positioning. Any improvement in G+A over last season is good enough. That being said, the lineup around him remains largely the same, so he will still feed on scraps. He has to work for it himself, unless Diallo is some kind of revelation.

Needs to work on his positioning. Any improvement in G+A over last season is good enough. That being said, the lineup around him remains largely the same, so he will still feed on scraps. He has to work for it himself, unless Diallo is some kind of revelation.
I think Amad would be as Crucial to him as Zirkzee would be to Rashford and Garnacho. I think our preferred front trio next season would either be.
Rashford-Zirkzee-Garnacho or
Rashford/Garnacho-Hojlund-Amad.
The problem with the preferred front trio last season was that all of Rashford, Hojlund, and Garnacho are best running behind the last Iine of defence, no one truly excels 30-35 meters from goal in between the opponent defence and midfield. Having a Zirkzee drop into those spaces like Martial use to could be the catalyst to our attack. Same with Amad but from wide areas coming in centrally.

We know this:
1. His finishing is elite. Despite the lack of service he still performs better than half of his forward colleagues in the prem in terms of goals per minutes played. That’s because he converts more chances than nearly everyone else - more than half his shots are on target, one in four of his shots result in goals and he outperforms his XG.
2. He rarely gets a chance to pass the ball, but when he does he delivers. Especially his long passing is very good - top 10 % among forwards. He’s short passing is ok, but can improve even though he usually is under quite a lot of pressure when receiving the ball. He also has more key passes than most.
3. Contrary to what some seem to think he controls the ball well - he has fewer miscontrolled balls and gets dispossessed less than most.
4. Add to that his high rate of successful take ons and you have a striker who can do a lot more than just score goals.
5. His one very big problem is he’s not involved enough. He has fewer passes, shots and lower xg than 75 - 80 % of forwards.

It seems quite straight forward: Get him involved and put him in decent scoring positions more often and he will get a lot more goals and assists. How much that is up to him improving his positioning, his teammates passing to him more often or EtH changing things I don’t know. But I’ve seen enough to say that he has been in favorable positions numerous times without getting the ball.

I expect him to be more involved and get more chances so 20-25 goals and 5-10 assists shouldn’t be unrealistic. I think the club expects the same but it all depends on context - if we score a lot of goals where he contributes with good hold up play, lay offs and by keeping defenders busy that will count as well.

Reactions: 711
We know this:
1. His finishing is elite. Despite the lack of service he still performs better than half of his forward colleagues in the prem in terms of goals per minutes played. That’s because he converts more chances than nearly everyone else - more than half his shots are on target, one in four of his shots result in goals and he outperforms his XG.
2. He rarely gets a chance to pass the ball, but when he does he delivers. Especially his long passing is very good - top 10 % among forwards. He’s short passing is ok, but can improve even though he usually is under quite a lot of pressure when receiving the ball. He also has more key passes than most.
3. Contrary to what some seem to think he controls the ball well - he has fewer miscontrolled balls and gets dispossessed less than most.
4. Add to that his high rate of successful take ons and you have a striker who can do a lot more than just score goals.
5. His one very big problem is he’s not involved enough. He has fewer passes, shots and lower xg than 75 - 80 % of forwards.

It seems quite straight forward: Get him involved and put him in decent scoring positions more often and he will get a lot more goals and assists. How much that is up to him improving his positioning, his teammates passing to him more often or EtH changing things I don’t know. But I’ve seen enough to say that he has been in favorable positions numerous times without getting the ball.

I expect him to be more involved and get more chances so 20-25 goals and 5-10 assists shouldn’t be unrealistic. I think the club expects the same but it all depends on context - if we score a lot of goals where he contributes with good hold up play, lay offs and by keeping defenders busy that will count as well.
Good post, thank you. Nice to get some stats to back up what we saw last season. If he continues improving at a good rate we should be set for a good while with him and Zirkzee up top (hopefully).

We know this:

16 goals and 2 assists in his frst season, is not a bad return for a young striker in a terribly disjointed team.

He really should be able to add another 8-10 goals, plus another few assists to his game this term. Ideally in the long run you want him to be getting 30-40 goal contributions a season.

I still feel he did good last year, scored a fair few considering he was injured for a good length of time going into the new season. Add on to that, he was in a totally different league from his previous.

Didn't let it get to him too much that the ball wasn't going in, then went on a scoring run before getting injured again.

Then to top that off, we had a midfield who had no creativity between them to give him opportunity.

No striker really could have come in and set that team alight unless they had the capabilities of running from midfield and finishing the chance themselves. Unless of course it was a Messi in his prime.

So has he been seen at all in these open training sessions?
I don't think he has, at least I haven't seen him in any of the club's videos they posted on the socials.

He most probably won't play or rather won't be risked against Real Betis. Probably means Wheatley will start, unless we go for another false 9 formation.

I don't think he has, at least I haven't seen him in any of the club's videos they posted on the socials.

He most probably won't play or rather won't be risked against Real Betis. Probably means Wheatley will start, unless we go for another false 9 formation.
Could see Sancho starting, maybe even McTominay.

Could see Sancho starting, maybe even McTominay.
Dear god. I know they'll end up playing some minutes in some form but I'd rather watch our academy lads have a runabout than these two guys. Both were so utterly pointless against Arsenal. :lol:

He gets a lot of injuries for a young guy. Concerning.

So expect him back after September international break. Rough go.

Yea. Already 3 injuries in his short time here and the 2nd season hasn't even started yet. I like the guy and will fully back him to be our no.9 but he won't be much use to us if he's going to be another Martial.

FFS!

Yoro going from 6 weeks to 2 months to now 3 months is bad enough. But at least we're hopefully going to add another CB.

Whereas Hojlund is so vital as our only really out and out #9. Hopefully Zirkzee can adjust quickly but, like with Hojlund last season, he should be being eased in to his first PL season and not immediately having to hit the ground running as our key leading the line player. Especially without a pre-season with us. :(

FFS!

Yoro going from 6 weeks to 2 months to now 3 months is bad enough. But at least we're hopefully going to add another CB.

Whereas Hojlund is so vital as our only really out and out #9. Hopefully Zirkzee can adjust quickly but, like with Hojlund last season, he should be being eased in to his first PL season and not immediately having to hit the ground running as our key leading the line player. Especially without a pre-season with us. :(

Guess that 16 year old we've apparently nicked from Arsenal will have to be brought in to battle it out with Zirkzee and Wheatley. Jesus.

Injury happened 5 days ago and League is starting in another 3 weeks.. So mostly he will miss the first 2 weeks of the season. Should be back after international break. Not a disaster but disrupt our preparations for the new season

Injury happened 5 days ago and League is starting in another 3 weeks.. So mostly he will miss the first 2 weeks of the season. Should be back after international break. Not a disaster but disrupt our preparations for the new season
And, once again, it means he's going to have a limited pre-season, missing early league games, then having to play catch up with match fitness against sharpened opponents. A disrupted pre-season and late start is always difficult to catch up on for a while. Definitely played a part in last seasons struggles for his first PL goal.

At least we actually have a CF as cover now thanks to the Zirkzee signing. That's a sort of progress, I guess.

Looks like Zirkzee will start the season and have no competition. Hope he gets off to a good start

He's a player who still looks very raw, and that can't be worked through if you're regularly out injured.

Worrying.

Our first game in the league is 2 weeks tomorrow. We have the community shield a week on Sunday.

Needs to get on the Giggs hamstring regime (except less sister in law shagging)