Rasmus Hojlund Denmark flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Very annoying that we're absolutely desperate for pace and strength in the team, then when we finally sign a player who has both it turns out he has the technical ability of a League 1 player.

Also very poor at using his strength and one of the worst aerial 9's in the league despite being 6'3.
What have you been smoking?
His heading is not great, but he has decent technique for his age and size.

He doesn't get involved, neither makes runs. Doesn't get frustrated and try to create something on his own, even a rare shot from distance will also do. Strange striker...

The way we play he’s often wrestling two cb’s. That leaves space for our wide players, that they’re expected to use to create chances. Rashford did that a couple of times today, but Garna missed opportunities to play Hojlund.

Watching Welbeck cause a ton of issues today with his hold up play, how he uses his body and protects the ball, different level than either of our current two in that aspect of his play, for all his other limitations.

People are being too harsh on him. He isn't good enough for us right now, and he isn't supposed to be. He is a 21 year old still learning his trade, like every young striker is. How many 20-21-22 year olds have been great in PL recently? Haaland, and who else? It is not his fault that our board spent so much money on a striker that is supposed to be second choice, coming on the last 20-30 minutes like Duran is doing for Aston Villa.

To the ones criticising his touch, it really isn't that bad. It's inconsistent, mostly because he hasn't learnt how to use his body against the defenders properly yet, something Kane also initially struggled with but with experience, he improved so much. He will never be Agüero or Suarez in terms of first touch, but it will definitely improve. We have already seen plenty of great moments from him technically.

Another thing is that he rarely gets the ball, so when he first does and miscontrols, it gets overly criticised, but the fact is that most strikers do this every game, but they also receive the ball much more so they don't only have that "one moment" that was a miscontrol. I see posters on here asking for Duran and Omorodion, but they actually miscontrol and gets dispossessed more than Højlund. But in your eyes that doesn't really happen, because you don't have the emotional attachment to non-United players in a match when they make a mistake.

I genuinely think he's a bit shit. Not completely shit. He does some things where I think "ah that's nice". Then I realized it's what basic footballing is and I feel upset.

I genuinely think he's a bit shit. Not completely shit. He does some things where I think "ah that's nice". Then I realized it's what basic footballing is and I feel upset.
His finishing is not basic, it is very good with the chance to become elite. Very few youngsters can take chances as naturally as he can but he obviously needs to improve his overall game. We have a big squad with a ton of experience and not one other player could have scored 16 goals from as few chances as Rasmus did last season, that is something to build on.

I get feeling sad but then it is hard to look at anyone in this team and not feel that way. I console myself by thinking 25+ players are bad footballers or we have 1 bad manager. Which is mathematically more likely? Once INEOS grow a pair and bring in a competent manager we may be very pleasantly surprised at what these players can do.

His finishing is not basic, it is very good with the chance to become elite. Very few youngsters can take chances as naturally as he can but he obviously needs to improve his overall game. We have a big squad with a ton of experience and not one other player could have scored 16 goals from as few chances as Rasmus did last season, that is something to build on.

I get feeling sad but then it is hard to look at anyone in this team and not feel that way. I console myself by thinking 25+ players are bad footballers or we have 1 bad manager. Which is mathematically more likely? Once INEOS grow a pair and bring in a competent manager we may be very pleasantly surprised at what these players can do.
What's special about his finishing? I guess the sample size isn't huge but I think he's good in finishing without much more.

I just think he's a poor dribbler and not great in the air with some really inconsistent first touches. Maybe it's a match rhythm thing, il put it to that.

Doesn’t help him that the players around him don’t create or provide for him. How many top strikers goals are spoon fed to them? You don’t see that for him at United.

What's special about his finishing? I guess the sample size isn't huge but I think he's good in finishing without much more.

I just think he's a poor dribbler and not great in the air with some really inconsistent first touches. Maybe it's a match rhythm thing, il put it to that.
Well, the fact he’s scored on every big chance bar one he has got while being here is at least an indicator. Another is he scores with both feet, a third that he doesn’t crumble under pressure.

Look at the goals he’s scored for us - his finishing is very, very good

Well, the fact he’s scored on every big chance bar one he has got while being here is at least an indicator. Another is he scores with both feet, a third that he doesn’t crumble under pressure.

Look at the goals he’s scored for us - his finishing is very, very good
Nah its just good for me. I don't think he's put away every big chance and there are some instances he's fecked things up, such as being in a good position vs Palace last season and just falling over for no reason.

He actually fell over loads last season, I think there's something wrong with his balance.

Watching Welbeck cause a ton of issues today with his hold up play, how he uses his body and protects the ball, different level than either of our current two in that aspect of his play, for all his other limitations.

Absolutely would start for us.

Good shout @Bobski

Hojlund and Watkins today...if they are top CF's then wow football really is void of talent up front these days.

Watkins is one of the best finishers in the league to be fair. He was poor against us though. He's still among the top scorers thus far and level on goals with Salah despite a slow start for him. He usually starts slowly

I think the scouts thought they unearthed the new Haaland when they came across Hojlund. He's another player who I think was also fast- tracked to first team football because of his early physical development and physique. He wasn't ready to play with men.

A Danish poster on here even mentioned that Hojlund didn't impress for Compenhagen when he transitioned from the youth ranks. I've read similar sentiment on other forums. It kinda makes sense seeing as he didn't recieve a warm welcome against Compenhagen when they beat us 4-3 in the CL last season. He celebrated every goal of his hattrick against them with verve. Found that strange because he's considered the next big hope for the Danish NT

Just like Rashford, he needs space to run into. He is more like and Osimhen type player. Despite his build, he relies on pace and finishing and doesn't excel in other CF areas so far. The problem is the way we currently set up, we cater to his weaknesses.

He looked very sharp against Porto in the first 20 minutes or so. Once we reduced the rhythm he looked very pedestrian again.

Ironically he would be perfect for someone like Ole. He would unleash him and Rashford on the counter and he would look way more devastating.

Wait till he is 25 and he'll be mint. Time is a great healer for a bad touch.
That is one unpopular opinion, and wrong one I'm afraid.

Hence my comments about playing to his strengths and working on his weaknesses. There is no evidence that the manager is trying to do either at this point.
This one isn't on the manager though. He has glaring deficiencies since day 1. The only thing that made it work for him last season is he was 1 goal in 2 shots striker. If he doesn't score, he adds nothing.

He's nowhere near smart enough with his runs to lead the line for a premier league team. Matched with his lack of technique on the ball as well as not knowing how to use his body, it makes it difficult to get us up the pitch when he plays.

When he started out in the national team one of his strengths was to drop deep and participate in play. I don't know if it was just because he played against lesser opponents, that element was one of his stronger sides and his vision looked like a trademark part of him. That is taken out of his game now, and doesn't really get nurtured, maybe because Bruno has this role or just because Premier League has less space for him to thrive in that.

Now he's basically a center forward with little service. I don't really see the key players/constants around him disappearing, so the formula will stay the same. He's not a great finisher or poacher, so I'd definitely be up for selling him at a loss if he doesn't evolve over this season.

A new manager who set up to give him and the team more space (like Maresca does at Chelsea), and a manager that has new tactics would also bring out other sides of him I believe. One more reason to sack EtH (besides that we're sitting 14th (!) in the table).

This one isn't on the manager though. He has glaring deficiencies since day 1. The only thing that made it work for him last season is he was 1 goal in 2 shots striker. If he doesn't score, he adds nothing

Well of course he has deficiencies. Harry Kane was fecking woeful at almost everything at 21, Sheringham was warming the bench for Millwall. He is a very good finisher with raw tools who needs to be developed. I don’t see any evidence that we are setting up to take advantage of his greatest asset, his finishing, nor am I confident ETH is the right man to develop him.

I can list many fundamental issues with this manager but one of the most glaring is that he is determined to hammer square pegs into round holes.

He doesn't get involved, neither makes runs. Doesn't get frustrated and try to create something on his own, even a rare shot from distance will also do. Strange striker...

Said this last season, there were times you would be screaming at him to just have a go from anywhere. He seems completely shot shy and its weird when his position is a bloody striker!!

I'd rather he hit the side netting and have a go than literally never have a go at all.

Last edited:
I don't think he's put away every big chance and there are some instances he's fecked things up, such as being in a good position vs Palace last season and just falling over for no reason.
Oh, so you’re saying he isn’t perfect? Good to know.
And yes, he pretty much did put away every big chance he got. It’s not really debatable, it’s a fact. No need to make things up.

Said this last season, there were times you would be screaming at him to just have a go from anywhere. He seems completely shot shy and its weird when his position is a bloody striker!!

I'd rather he hit row the side netting and have a go than literally never have a go at all.
Yeah, even though I think it shows he’s quite selfless I agree. It would be nice to see him shoot a bit more instead of passing. Quite the opposite of Garnacho, Rashford and Bruno who will still rather try themselves than play Hojlund

Well of course he has deficiencies. Harry Kane was fecking woeful at almost everything at 21, Sheringham was warming the bench for Millwall. He is a very good finisher with raw tools who needs to be developed. I don’t see any evidence that we are setting up to take advantage of his greatest asset, his finishing, nor am I confident ETH is the right man to develop him.

I can list many fundamental issues with this manager but one of the most glaring is that he is determined to hammer square pegs into round holes.
Yours are beacons of light in a thread full of moronic darkness

A Danish poster on here even mentioned that Hojlund didn't impress for Compenhagen when he transitioned from the youth ranks. I've read similar sentiment on other forums. It kinda makes sense seeing as he didn't recieve a warm welcome against Compenhagen when they beat us 4-3 in the CL last season. He celebrated every goal of his hattrick against them with verve. Found that strange because he's considered the next big hope for the Danish NT
Speculation much? I’m sure he’s good enough to play for teams in inferior leagues even if he were deemed not good enough as a youngster.
Where is Compenhagen?

Giving your striker crosses to run onto sometimes helps strikers to score goals. We never can't seem to find any striker.

Oh, so you’re saying he isn’t perfect? Good to know.
And yes, he pretty much did put away every big chance he got. It’s not really debatable, it’s a fact. No need to make things up.
You've got issues mate. He's far from perfect and he hasn't been as clinical as you think. He's not playing as a 30m striker let alone a 70m one. There's no need to get sensitive about it

Giving your striker crosses to run onto sometimes helps strikers to score goals. We never can't seem to find any striker.
Or maybe he can't position himself at right place. Positioning in penalty box is a major skill for striker. And Hojlund doesn't have that. At all.

I can't believe that fans who watched Cole, RVN, Yorke, Solskjaer, Hughes can throw excuses about service.

At 21 Kane was scoring 30 goals.
Actually, he scored 21 and two of those were penalties, so he scored 9 more league goals than Højlund if we exclude penalties. Obviously that is a lot better, but no one is saying Kane wasn't the more talented or better striker. He is one of the best strikers in the world. The point was that he had deficiencies in his game that was ironed out, and he became a much better striker, so if Højlund can do that and become half the striker Kane is, then that is still a pretty good striker.

Actually, he scored 21 and two of those were penalties, so he scored 9 more league goals than Højlund if we exclude penalties. Obviously that is a lot better, but no one is saying Kane wasn't the more talented or better striker. He is one of the best strikers in the world. The point was that he had deficiencies in his game that was ironed out, and he became a much better striker, so if Højlund can do that and become half the striker Kane is, then that is still a pretty good striker.
30 in all competitions. I was merely countering the notion that Kane was woeful at 21.

Or maybe he can't position himself at right place. Positioning in penalty box is a major skill for striker. And Hojlund doesn't have that. At all.

I can't believe that fans who watched Cole, RVN, Yorke, Solskjaer, Hughes can throw excuses about service.
Of course he does. When you play with wingers like Antony, Rashford and Garnacho who don't even know what to do themselves, it gets a bit tricky to position himself. Watch how undecisive these wingers are. First they go inside, it doesn't work, then outside, then back in. Get the ball in the box already. It is impossible to predict when you play with attackers who aren't on the same wavelength.

He was already known for his movement playing for Atalanta, especially attacking into low crosses, but we're not getting the ball into the box. How is he supposed to get on the end of it then? You can blame lack of movement all you like, you're making things up. If you don't think service for strikers are a thing, then be my guest.

It's a problem with all strikers who have played for us for the last 3 years, I would think it has something to do with our setup too.

Saw enough last season to be convinced he's a really talented striker we should show patience with. He is one who needs service though, which we haven't been providing a lot this season.
Agreed. He might not be in top form at the moment but I think there is a quality player in there and I really hope he can show it with us.

I also thought his first touch and hold up play was slightly better today, but he needs to learn how to dribble and carry the ball better so he can start to create for himself. He did it a few times at the end of last season, with his copycat goals against Newcastle and Brighton, and I thought he had unlocked a potent new weapon to his forward play, but I don't think I've seen him do it since.

You've got issues mate. He's far from perfect and he hasn't been as clinical as you think. He's not playing as a 30m striker let alone a 70m one. There's no need to get sensitive about it
You keep saying that, but you don’t back it up. He outperformed his xg and scored 16 goals despite getting very few chances (look at this for example: )
Also, he’s not missed a single sitter except maybe for one header in the cup.

70 mio. was obviously too expensive, but you still don’t need to make things up.

You keep saying that, but you don’t back it up. He outperformed his xg and scored 16 goals despite getting very few chances (look at this for example: )
Also, he’s not missed a single sitter except maybe for one header in the cup.

70 mio. was obviously too expensive, but you still don’t need to make things up.

As I've said, there are times in matches where he could do better in the box and it isn't captured by XG stats.

Hes a good finisher, he's average to poor in everything else. My point is he's a bit shit right now.

From the limited chances he got last season, he's shown that he's a decent finisher. Gets f**k all service from Garnacho, Rashford and Bruno. Would definitely get more service from Amad but those 2 players have barely had any time together on the pitch at the same time.

His hold up and link up play is f**king abysmal though. Do our scouts look at this stuff at all?

The way we play he’s often wrestling two cb’s. That leaves space for our wide players, that they’re expected to use to create chances. Rashford did that a couple of times today, but Garna missed opportunities to play Hojlund.
Felt like I wanted to smack him silly for not doing that simple pass.

From the limited chances he got last season, he's shown that he's a decent finisher. Gets f**k all service from Garnacho, Rashford and Bruno. Would definitely get more service from Amad but those 2 players have barely had any time together on the pitch at the same time.

His hold up and link up play is f**king abysmal though. Do our scouts look at this stuff at all?

This is the most glaring deficiency in his game, alongside his poor presence and movement in the box. He gets bullied too easily and has the first touch of a baby elephant often.

He's a bit overrated to be honest, but there's still hope for him as he has time on his side. One thing is for sure, we still need a proven goal scorer if we're serious about challenging for major honors. Hojlund and Zirkzee don't have enough goals between them