Rasmus Hojlund Denmark flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I would love to see an interview with RVN and see him being asked him how he is helping Rasmus?
He was diabolical against Villa
His first touch is Lukakuesque
His hold up play is non existent
He does not even jump to try and win aerial battles and he has no timing to make good runs behind.

We need a first choice striker to play… ahead of our other two 100m strikers. Quality recruitment to have spent so much and still not have anyone as good as Martial.

Well of course he has deficiencies. Harry Kane was fecking woeful at almost everything at 21, Sheringham was warming the bench for Millwall. He is a very good finisher with raw tools who needs to be developed. I don’t see any evidence that we are setting up to take advantage of his greatest asset, his finishing, nor am I confident ETH is the right man to develop him.

I can list many fundamental issues with this manager but one of the most glaring is that he is determined to hammer square pegs into round holes.

Did you watch Harry Kane at 21? He was twice the player Rasmus is. He scored 30 plus goals for spurs.

Rasmus is young and he may come good but Kane was and is a different level. Rasmus would do well to reach Lukaku level imo

Well of course he has deficiencies. Harry Kane was fecking woeful at almost everything at 21, Sheringham was warming the bench for Millwall. He is a very good finisher with raw tools who needs to be developed. I don’t see any evidence that we are setting up to take advantage of his greatest asset, his finishing, nor am I confident ETH is the right man to develop him.

I can list many fundamental issues with this manager but one of the most glaring is that he is determined to hammer square pegs into round holes.
I don't disagree, but how do you actually fix this? Amad - fine, should've played ahead of Garnacho. But Rashford/Garnacho are not creative players at all. This is a problem with the type of striker that he is and how that fits to the squad. We don't create chances, and it is even more difficult with Rasmus on the pitch. What is a bad sign...

Whether the lack of impact is him, the tactics, his teammates , etc. I do not know. . .

Hard to judge when we’re such a mess going forward.

You've got issues mate. He's far from perfect and he hasn't been as clinical as you think. He's not playing as a 30m striker let alone a 70m one. There's no need to get sensitive about it
Clinical is the one thing he was last season. He clearly has a lot of work to do in some areas and we can talk about whether it was pack of service or bad positioning that led to a lack of chances, but when he did get chances he was very good at scoring from them.

Whether the lack of impact is him, the tactics, his teammates , etc. I do not know. . .

The only CF we have seen be more ineffective than him in this side is Rashford.

Zirkzee, Martial, Weghorst and even Bruno all got good amount of chances playing CF

Agreed. He might not be in top form at the moment but I think there is a quality player in there and I really hope he can show it with us.

I also thought his first touch and hold up play was slightly better today, but he needs to learn how to dribble and carry the ball better so he can start to create for himself. He did it a few times at the end of last season, with his copycat goals against Newcastle and Brighton, and I thought he had unlocked a potent new weapon to his forward play, but I don't think I've seen him do it since.
He did it v Porto when he ended up playing that beautiful pass for Amad
As I've said, there are times in matches where he could do better in the box and it isn't captured by XG stats.

Hes a good finisher, he's average to poor in everything else. My point is he's a bit shit right now.
Ok, so he is clinical. Glad we sorted that out. On with discussing

What do you want him to do? Relentlessly practice first touches with Højlund?

Ruud having been a great striker will do nothing to improve Zirkzee and Højlund. It’s a pipe dream.
Dunno why but :lol:

Glad he's fit again. Now we just have to hope he remembers how to play football at some point, and then hope the rest of our team remembers how to play football so they can pass to him, and then hope our manager remembers how to manage so our team has a chance to play football, and then hope we aren't playing against a team who haven't forgotten ho to do any of this in the first place so are just better at it.

So its looking promising.

It's bewildering how terrible he was against Villa. Not a young player, mind you. Not a 17-year-old prospect who had 1 good season as a teenage, no. His first touch, ball retention and ability to build play looks novice like, not even professional. Compare that to Watkins, who I feel is an average-to-good striker, and the difference was ridiculous.

Not sure where we go from here.

Simply not good enough. Rasmus huffs and puffs about the pitch, but there are glaring issues in his game. One thing that stands out is his lack of instinct for goals. He is constantly reactive, flat-footed, and behind play. His off the ball movement is simply amateur level, almost like he is caught in teletubby land. Crosses may come in, and he is behind or ahead of the ball. His first touch is shocking for a player at this level and seems only comfortable when running powerfully in a straight line

I'm not convinced he can turn it around. People love to use age as an excuse for everything, which is pathetic and weak. All you have is this moment and what you have worked for. Age is not going to suddenly make Hojlund a world-class player. Based on Berrada's two seasons rule, he will be out of the door soon if he doesn't start showing real quality. He is far too busy salivating in the delusion of being part of some evolution at the club. Garnacho, Mainoo and the rest are caught up in that trance but they should not be mistaken, if they do not meet the standards required of them at Manchester United, regardless of age, you will be sent packing. Manchester United is not a playground for silly boybands. Roll up your sleeves and step up.

It's bewildering how terrible he was against Villa. Not a young player, mind you. Not a 17-year-old prospect who had 1 good season as a teenage, no. His first touch, ball retention and ability to build play looks novice like, not even professional. Compare that to Watkins, who I feel is an average-to-good striker, and the difference was ridiculous.

Not sure where we go from here.
Yeah, Watkins with his 5 passes more was extraordinary. Simply phenomenal at building up with his 11 total passes. You could see the difference it made having him there, creating absolutely nothing and being invisible throughout the game.

Really, that was not the game to be praising Watkins for his ball retention and build up play. Especially when you're suggesting the difference was ridiculous.

The first touch and ball control issues is evident with him, he really needs to work on it, this is not an issue with match sharpness/fitness, it's a basic issue that he hasn't improved on since coming here so far

Did you watch Harry Kane at 21? He was twice the player Rasmus is. He scored 30 plus goals for spurs.

Rasmus is young and he may come good but Kane was and is a different level. Rasmus would do well to reach Lukaku level imo
We United fans now live in a world where a mark of a true great is being crap. Do not question ten Hag because Arteta/Ferguson also struggled, Hojlund is going to be amazing because Kane also struggled at the same age (he didn't). Being good is not really essential to one's success, it's being awful that is a true indication of immense potential.

The first touch and ball control issues is evident with him, he really needs to work on it, this is not an issue with match sharpness/fitness, it's a basic issue that he hasn't improved on since coming here so far
What is shocking for me is how can you become an EPL striker for Manchester United with such poor first touch in the first place. Lukaku plowed the way for the rest I guess.

Yeah way too harsh to judge him as cr*p at the moment with everything going on.

I still have faith in him. Lets not forget that he scored 10 goals in his last 16 PL matches last season after a goalless 14 PL match spell. Some of goals were amazing.

This season nobody looks good. Not him, not Mainoo, not garnacho. Bruno doesnt even look like a pro footballer.

We United fans now live in a world where a mark of a true great is being crap. Do not question ten Hag because Arteta/Ferguson also struggled, Hojlund is going to be amazing because Kane also struggled at the same age (he didn't). Being good is not really essential to one's success, it's being awful that is a true indication of immense potential.
I don't think anyone said Kane struggled. Kane had deficiencies, as any young player. When they get ironed out, a player can drastically improve. A 20 year old striker that scores 10 non-penalty goals in his PL debut season with limited supply is promising. 3 years ahead and he might score 16, two years from then he'll be up to 20 and so on. Strikers in particular - unless you're Haaland, Agüero or Kane - generally peak late in their career (Toney, Watkins, Solanke, Vardy) etc. What were they up to at the age of 20?

This is not to say that we should wait 5 years before he comes good. I agree that he isn't good enough now, I'm just defending him from the posters that pretend to have any knowledge how good he can potentially be. We should never have made him the starting striker. He should have been a substitution striker, coming on against tired legs.

I've said he's a good finisher a while ago mate.

But he's average to poor in everything else, which makes him a bit shit right now.
You don’t think he’s quick and good at driving the ball forward at high speed? He hasn’t showed it much here, but an example was v Porto where he ended up playing Amad. And last season where he turned on and outran Van de Veen.

No, it’s a world where you’re not allowed to bring nuances into discussions. Hojlund is utter shite and if you don’t agree (because you’ve actually paid attention to him and the team around him) you’re an overoptimistic fanboy.

I think he should be starting more often and will get goals if he does... However - he really is poor at holdup play right now. His first touch and ability to hold off defenders isnt any better than Rashford's when he plays as a striker. While Zirkzee has much to improve on himself when he has the ball, he certainly takes the ball in and holds onto it better

No, it’s a world where you’re not allowed to bring nuances into discussions. Hojlund is utter shite and if you don’t agree (because you’ve actually paid attention to him and the team around him) you’re an overoptimistic fanboy.

Pointing to any other player that may have had certain (not even comparable) deficiencies at the same age is not a nuance, it's just a pointless comparison that serves no purpose.

It would be unfair to judge Hojlund when we practically play with a disjointed/non-existent midfield. In fact the entire team is in shambles. I do wonder how he would perform in a team like Newcastle, where there is a bit more coherency in playing style

You don’t think he’s quick and good at driving the ball forward at high speed? He hasn’t showed it much here, but an example was v Porto where he ended up playing Amad. And last season where he turned on and outran Van de Veen.
So the Amad bit is a great example where he didn't do it. He didn't show that rapid directness to burn the defender for pace. He doubted himself and had the defenders catch up before a cross into the box.

So yeah, average to shit at most other bits. Honestly I'm not trying to hate the guy I'm calling it as I see it. I was impressed in moments last season but that's all it was.

Still think he's the least of our problems. What was that, his second start this season? Let him get back up to speed. He was very decent for his age/experience last year.

Watkins was woeful yesterday too, but no one is calling that out.

Once we get decent coaching and a functional attack, he will improve probably more than anyone.

So the Amad bit is a great example where he didn't do it. He didn't show that rapid directness to burn the defender for pace. He doubted himself and had the defenders catch up before a cross into the box.

So yeah, average to shit at most other bits. Honestly I'm not trying to hate the guy I'm calling it as I see it. I was impressed in moments last season but that's all it was.
Ok. I have seen enough from him to believe that he can become an elite striker in a few years. Even his numbers last season were quite good all things considered - and the circumstances really should be considered.

And I’m not trying to love the guy either, though I do have higher hopes for players with his mentality and attitude than other more fragile or ego centered players

Btw, the Amad example also showed his passing ability - it was a perfect pass while running. Indeed, most of his passes are very accurate.

Pointing to any other player that may have had certain (not even comparable) deficiencies at the same age is not a nuance, it's just a pointless comparison that serves no purpose.
Yes, but there’s a valid general point about cf’s maturing quite late.
I was referring to the strong dislike in here for taking circumstances into account. For example our system, the fact that the team has been dysfunctional most of the time he’s been here etc. I just don’t get the need for slagging players off, I guess.

Just read the Garnacho thread and it’s obvious to me that our problem isn’t Hojlund or even Zirks. It’s the wingers’ inability to think and pass. Until they do that regularly we won’t unleash Hojlunds potential. Genuinely believe we’d have won over Villa had Garnacho passed to him

Let's be honest, all strikers have suffered under tem hags awful coaching of our attacking play, ole didnt have this issue with rashford and bloody lingard as our wingers

Just like Rashford, he would be absolutely deadly if he had space to run into.

Instead we are playing him into a congested defense and wonder why isn't he being prolific.

It is just meant to point out that very few of the strikers we consider to be world class or even just very good were doing much of anything at the age of 21. I put my foot in it a couple of posts ago with the Kane comparison although the point stands that he became a much better player as he matured but it is not about specific names. The general notion seems to be that those who dislike Rasmus have decided he is crap and nothing is going to change that and yet the vast majority of our own legendary forwards looked crap at his age and did not do much until they matured.

Does other players becoming great in their mid twenties mean Rasmus is going to achieve the same? Of course it doesn't. What it does illustrate though is that anyone writing him off at this point is being incredibly hasty. We can go back and forth about what he does or does not do well, as a poster who generally thinks highly of him I do believe he has a lot of areas to work on. What we cannot deny though is that there are multiple examples of players improving their skills through good coaching and hard work and I think that Rasmus is one who will apply himself here. It was reported when he signed that one of the reasons he did not make much of an impression at Kobenhavn was down to a lack of pace and one of the ways he kick started his career was by taking the initiative to develop his sprints and running style to turn a weakness into a strength.

Time will tell and I have no issue with people faulting aspects of his play or specific performances in games but I just cannot take seriously any of the hyperbolic posts about him being crap and useless. Some of that rage clearly comes from the perspective that we overpaid for a raw talent and I would not disagree but some of it is just weird and refuses to recognize the good, 16 goals in 43 games as a 20/21 year old, or the context that he is playing in a chaotically bad side that is not doing anything to help him as a young player and creates desperately few chances.

The sort of signing that would have been really good if we had a strong team, established striker, and he'd learn the ropes under them, come on for 20mins regularly, and start say 15-20 games in cups and rotational league games.

In our utterly disjointed set up, expecting him to start 50 games a season, we'll have him half paced and wrecked by 23.