View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He really impressed me last night. Felt like so ling since we've seen a proper young and hungry striker. The way he took and celebrated that disallowed goal reminded me of ruud.

Same. Just hope he doesn't resemble mentally going forward. I want him to show this hunger/winning mentality for the remainder of his time here. Really pleasing to finally see a striker like this at the club.

We've potentially got a gem on our hands here. That 2nd goal reminded me of Van Nistelrooy away at Arsenal in '03 - not sure what was more impressive, the pace or the finish. Shame for him as the headlines should be all about him today

That disallowed goal was so cool. It didn't count but really showed another kind of quality. Should add to his confidence as well.

I initially said around 15 goals would be good, but now I kind of believe he can break 20. He may not have great service, but he will sniff out a lot, and he doesn't stop making the runs or working in the box. Hopefully he can soon open his PL account as well.

Last weekend fans saw him as our new Weghorst. Now he is our new Nistlerooy. And he is not even dutch.

Last weekend fans saw him as our new Weghorst. Now he is our new Nistlerooy. And he is not even dutch.

I can see why people thought that. He bullied the opposition defenders physically whenever he could and he can finish.

God its been a while since the opposition CBs actually had to physically fight with our striker for the ball, feels so refreshing to see this again.

He's currently doing better than expected. He's been making good runs and so far I think he's finished every good chance he's had. I didn't expect him to be so clinical this early on.

Now he needs to learn to hold his marker off better. He's got the strength.

He’s gonna be our only bright spot this year! He could’ve had 3-4 more goals already this season with some luck.

The pace and power to just run through for the second goal :drool:

Trying my best to focus on this lad and forget the rest of them last night.

Happy for him!

Shuts up a lot of people too, proper Hojlund performance.

Incredibly promising performance last night. Everything you want from your striker in the modern game. Something to truly be excited about in a sea of shit.

Thought his 3 finishes last night were all fantastic. His run from the halfway line and dinking over the keeper was sublime

Mount and Hojlund have been good signings and are a fit for any team that wants to control the game with and without the ball. Onana is also is a fit for a more attack minded team, especially in possession. Unfortunately for him his form has dipped in recent weeks but the signing itself made sense if the intention was to play a more expansive game. Antony's price was way too much, but the actual player himself was a fit for a possession based team that played in a compact high block and expected the players to provide the intelligence and intensity out of possession which is a requirement.

United's bigger problem is the players that have predated the aforementioned players above. And those players have a bearing on our playstyle in the final third and defensive third, and the manager seems to be playing around the weaknesses of those players whether that be in possession or out of possession. Then there's CBs still at the club who always lacked the physical and athletic capabilities to succeed in a EPL that is being dominated by teams who evade/resist the opponent's pressure, defend transitions in a higher line whilst also being a big threat in transition themselves, as well as having a strong defensive rest phase where they can slow the game down and utilise their off the ball movement to create numerical superiorities.
Veiled way of saying “Lindelof”

Anyone that could have just been willing to give him a chance would have seen that he clearly has the tools to be a top level striker down the line, Strong, fast and has a knack for getting in good positions. I just hope the toxicity surrounding the club will not affect him and his trajectory.

Can we have him please?
Hands off! He's ours to ruin. Go get Vlahovic or someone else. Weren't you guys trying for a swap deal between Lukaku and Vlahovic or did I imagine it up?

Thought his 3 finishes last night were all fantastic. His run from the halfway line and dinking over the keeper was sublime
Salah-esque. The guy will become a Premier League great. Just a matter of United playing to his strengths.
We set-up extremely poor for him to flourish.

The shining light from last night. Really strong performance, great to see. Some people were already starting to moan about him too, so it was a good reminder of what he can bring. Of course he is young, will have ups and downs, but it does look like he knows where the goal is. While the second goal looks good, the first goal was the more impressive for me. The desire to get to the ball was something we have been lacking for so so long. We need to find a way to feed him now, consistently.

Almost a perfect game yesterday. Deserved the hattrick, but again a few inches on the wrong side on one goal. Three absolutely different situations and three totally different finishes. 1st goal: The right run at the right time and the power to finish it off. The disallowed goal: Positional awareness, calm in the box, good technique and a banger-finish. 2nd goal: Great anticipation, exceptional speed, the physicality to shake off defenders and again, calm in front of goal. You could see, that he did'nt doubt for a second, that it would go in.

Beside the goals, he manhandled the defense, pressed, created a wonderful chance for Captain Sulky and took part in the build up.

There will be set backs, but he is the real deal...

I also noticed after his goal how our players were looking for his runs.
They are learning to play with him but also he now has his respect from the group.
Should result in more goals and opportunities.

Nothing else I can add which hasnt been said already. Looks like we have a gem on our hands here and yes even his demeanor is very much like RVN. Striker killer, its what you want.

Salah-esque. The guy will become a Premier League great. Just a matter of United playing to his strengths.
We set-up extremely poor for him to flourish.

Weird thing to say after he was only denied a hat-trick by a tight offside decision. How many goals do you expect him to score in a game where we're set up for him to flourish?

Very impressive performance, he has all the attributes to become very good CF. His pace is excellent and has good strength too, apart from all that his on the ball skills are good.

Very impressive performance, he has all the attributes to become very good CF. His pace is excellent and has good strength too, apart from all that his on the ball skills are good.

So you are basically saying that JPRouve evaluated him properly?

Loved his performance and think he’ll be great for us if we can create enough chances for him.

But disagree with posters comparing him to Nistelrooy. Completely diff players. RVN was a phenomenal finisher.

Hojlunds core game is pace and power and making the right runs into the box for the tap in. If he becomes as good a goal scorer as RVN, it will be amazing. But keeping my fingers crossed.

He did a convincing Haaland impression last night.

Pace, power. strength, great finishing, hold up play - all there.

Excellent performance.

Amazing player. That second goal was everything we’ve been missing. Big physical forward just taking the game by the scruff of the neck and willing a goal into existence out of nothing.

Put Garnacho for Rashford and you will see the best of both Hojlund and Garnacho.

You said same things?

I'm joking around but yeah when people were wondering why we were after him instead of a more recognisable player. Hojlund has all the attributes required to be an excellent striker.

I'm joking around but yeah when people were wondering why we were after him instead of a more recognisable player. Hojlund has all the attributes required to be an excellent striker.

Yeah, it was odd to see him getting lot of criticism, especially based on some unrealistic transfer scenario.

I think we did good enough job to sign him, he is still very young and will be here for years.

Hands off! He's ours to ruin. Go get Vlahovic or someone else. Weren't you guys trying for a swap deal between Lukaku and Vlahovic or did I imagine it up?

Yeah that was on cards for a while but we couldn't agree on the numbers with Juve. Feck them both though. I want Hojlund.

Drogba / Costa vibes?

Yeah, kinda. It's so, so impressive what he's doing at 20. I actually didn't like the move for him because I thought he was still a bit too raw to be the big money striker for a club like United where the fans expect a lot very quickly but he's settled quickly and has been your best attacker in nearly every game he's played in so far. It obviously doesn't help that the team has lost 6 of the first 10 games, so the confidence is low among his teammates but he seems unaffected by it so far - 3 goals in 7 games in a team that is struggling is excellent. As others have said, he has all the tools to be a genuinely elite striker.

As a big fan of his, I hate wanting to root for his success while simultaneously rooting for his team to lose. A game like last night was actually perfect for me, sorry :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.