View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He really impressed me today. When's the last time we had a striker with pace and power? Lukaku, I guess, and Rooney before him.

Well so far he's European record has been something at least.

Needs more and better service.

What did you / do you think on Mount, Onana and Antony, our other big money signings?
Mount and Hojlund have been good signings and are a fit for any team that wants to control the game with and without the ball. Onana is also is a fit for a more attack minded team, especially in possession. Unfortunately for him his form has dipped in recent weeks but the signing itself made sense if the intention was to play a more expansive game. Antony's price was way too much, but the actual player himself was a fit for a possession based team that played in a compact high block and expected the players to provide the intelligence and intensity out of possession which is a requirement.

United's bigger problem is the players that have predated the aforementioned players above. And those players have a bearing on our playstyle in the final third and defensive third, and the manager seems to be playing around the weaknesses of those players whether that be in possession or out of possession. Then there's CBs still at the club who always lacked the physical and athletic capabilities to succeed in a EPL that is being dominated by teams who evade/resist the opponent's pressure, defend transitions in a higher line whilst also being a big threat in transition themselves, as well as having a strong defensive rest phase where they can slow the game down and utilise their off the ball movement to create numerical superiorities.

He had me cheering a goal for the first time in a long while tonight I was buzzing for him and then totally gutted for him that we folded the other end of the field and his goals counted for nothing.

Nicely taken goals plus the one ruled out. He's got a lot to shoulder given our lack of goalscorers, unfairly really, so for his two goals to not be enough against such poor opponents is a real shame for him.

This is what I'm worried about, he will turn out incredible and get sick of the underperforming dross man united has become. Then leave.
When does that ever happen with us? If anything the most likely scenario is Højlund’s development halts because the club is a mess and he ends up regressing.

He's one of the most exciting signings we have made for a long long time, we absolutely have a potential beast of a CF on our hands, a proper number 9 after so many years, but he must be given time and support to develop to full potential.

Just feels so gutting and sad for him to score 2 great goals (even the offside one was a great finish), especially the 2nd goal which showed his great personal qualities, pace/power/dribbling/finishing, as Rasmus himself said his "signature goal", but then still ended up on the losing side, absolute shower of a defence we have at the moment.

Team needs to be built around players like Hojlund, he's the future for us. Luckily for us he's a boyhood United fan so likely will be willing to stick around for longer even we're in such a tough period right now.

Also liked that he's bringing out all the greatest hits in terms of celebrations; 1st goal Mbappe, 2nd goal very Cantona-esqe

Cross and a Header :eek:

Not seen a goal like that for years.

Whatever next a pass across the box for a tap-in?

Reminder that people in this thread were crying about Harry Kane, again, last week. This should tell you that having Harry Kane in the team wouldn't make a difference, the team is still shit even when our forward has great holdup play and puts the ball in the back of the net 3 times.

Best game in a Utd shirt but ultimately it's going to feel very tainted as led to no points

That was a seriously impressive performance. Thought he had already shown glimpses against palace and was surprised to see criticism in here after that game.
Looks a good and more importantly composed finisher. Now if the other ten dribblers could get their act together.

Have all the attributes to become well rounded Striker with pretty decent ceiling talent wise , just hope United can provide right environment and support for him to develop right .

Two very good goals and another disallowed goal which would have been good too. Love his strength and aggression. You can just see he loves united and it’s great to see. We need more of it.

Just to get the concerns out of the way, both his goals were on the counter so we've yet to see any build up play goals from him yet. And it was against an average Galatasaray opponent, so I'm not sure if he could've scored that second goal against a tougher PL defender.

Having said that, it was 2 great goals nevertheless and I'm relieved he's started scoring in the UCL. There are lots of positives to take from here and hopefully he carries on this confidence onto the weekend against Brentford. One game at a time.

Probably getting bought by RM in 2 or 3 years time. United need to build a functional,competitive squad ASAP or risk losing the wunderkinder. Garnacho and Hojlund are not going Harry Kane around here for too long.

Just to get the concerns out of the way, both his goals were on the counter so we've yet to see any build up play goals from him yet. And it was against an average Galatasaray opponent, so I'm not sure if he could've scored that second goal against a tougher PL defender.

Having said that, it was 2 great goals nevertheless and I'm relieved he's started scoring in the UCL. There are lots of positives to take from here and hopefully he carries on this confidence onto the weekend against Brentford. One game at a time.
Wasn’t the goal against Bayern a ‘buildup goal’ ? I’m not sure what that even is. The finish for the offside goal was what you’re talking about presumably? He’s a kid, if you can’t even get excited for such an stellar performance by a 20 year number 9 on his home CL debut then there will be little joy to be bad any time soon. Also Galatasaray aren’t a bad team - they’d beat many PL teams as they did last night by beating the 3rd placed one of last year.

It's difficult to score in build up play if the team is rather lame at build up play. Utd have made zero progress in that regard since ETH took over and are being carried by an inexperienced lad feeding on scraps.

I don't see him being on Lukaku's trajectory, he will score consistently, score a variety of goals and score against relegation fodder as well as against the cream of European football.

Pretty much the only thing to look forward to this season is watching how he develops. He was excellent yesterday

Impressive how good he looked as a striker in such a poor team.

This guy is gonna be a big hit when we can a cohesive team behind him that can pass and keep the ball. Unfortunately that involves dropping the two talismans who are the most wasteful players I've ever seen.

Pretty much the only thing to look forward to this season is watching how he develops. He was excellent yesterday

Truth be told, agreed. Most of the games I watch is just to see how he will play. The only bright spark in an otherwise terrible team this season.

Wasn’t the goal against Bayern a ‘buildup goal’ ? I’m not sure what that even is. The finish for the offside goal was what you’re talking about presumably? He’s a kid, if you can’t even get excited for such an stellar performance by a 20 year number 9 on his home CL debut then there will be little joy to be bad any time soon. Also Galatasaray aren’t a bad team - they’d beat many PL teams as they did last night by beating the 3rd placed one of last year.

Was I slating or writing off the kid in my previous post? Like I said, many positives to take from this match and I'd be more excited if he can do it in the Prem too.

Mount and Hojlund have been good signings and are a fit for any team that wants to control the game with and without the ball. Onana is also is a fit for a more attack minded team, especially in possession. Unfortunately for him his form has dipped in recent weeks but the signing itself made sense if the intention was to play a more expansive game. Antony's price was way too much, but the actual player himself was a fit for a possession based team that played in a compact high block and expected the players to provide the intelligence and intensity out of possession which is a requirement.

United's bigger problem is the players that have predated the aforementioned players above. And those players have a bearing on our playstyle in the final third and defensive third, and the manager seems to be playing around the weaknesses of those players whether that be in possession or out of possession. Then there's CBs still at the club who always lacked the physical and athletic capabilities to succeed in a EPL that is being dominated by teams who evade/resist the opponent's pressure, defend transitions in a higher line whilst also being a big threat in transition themselves, as well as having a strong defensive rest phase where they can slow the game down and utilise their off the ball movement to create numerical superiorities.

Totally agree, very good analysis.

This place is a graveyard for young talent. Or just talent in general. It is just matter of time before it claims him, too. A shame that, because he looks like class in the making.

Was I slating or writing off the kid in my previous post? Like I said, many positives to take from this match and I'd be more excited if he can do it in the Prem too.

He definitely gave us a spark when he came on Vs Arsenal and that was his debut.

By the way this was his second CL game in his career. He has never played in the competition outside of United.

Absolutely terrific performance that. The goals, the touches, the strength.

I did think he was just lacking a bit of confidence in the previous games as I'd seen him attack players and take them on at Atalanta and there were moments v Arsenal.

Hopefully that will give him the confidence to go on and perform.

He's a true gamer. On the 3 goals, including the one that was disallowed for offside, you can see that he has both the skill and the will to get stuck into those areas to make life as miserable as possible for the defenders on the other side.

During the match, I told a fellow United fan at the pub that Rasmus plays with the mentality of an ice hockey player on top of having those skills required in a striker. That is a deadly combo if he keeps on going and I hope for him that he will stay positive, enough to see us through the dark days.

He really impressed me last night. Felt like so long since we've seen a proper young and hungry striker. The way he took and celebrated that disallowed goal reminded me of ruud.

Status
Not open for further replies.