2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Mike Smalling

As always when strikers miss a chance that looks promising, suddenly it was a "sitter" and all elite strikers would have scored them 100%. In reality Hojlund's shot was taken very close to the keeper (the keeper being Manuel fecking Neuer) after a long sprint and a mediocre pass, and was calculated to a reasonable 0.24xG.

He wasn't good yesterday or the entire tournament, but this chance has nothing to do with it.
Indeed. He did the right thing on that chance and just couldn’t get enough lift on it. Neuer made a good save.

It’s his decision making and hold-up play that worries me from this tournament. Not his chance conversion.

Swedish_Plumber

The funny thing about posts like these is they are more wrong than those that write off players.

In the last five years alone there have been posters that have written off Antony, Dan James, Pereira, Elanga, Lukaku, Dean Henderson off in their first season as starters or regulars. We’ve gotten the usual, they are young and have great potential defence but time has proven the doubters correct and this consistently happens on the caf.

The crowd that writes players off is more right than those choosing to believe in potential that doesn’t exist.

Funny enough as vocal as I’ve been on Hojlund, I’m not totally writing him off but he has no business being a starter in this team. Anyone banking on him to lead us up front next season is in for a rude awakening, he’s nowhere near good enough at the moment.
The crowd that writes players off aren’t limited to the times they were right about players though now are they? We all know the cafe pretty well by now, I’m sure.

My issue is the mountain of posts moaning forever about how we are shite, or players are useless etc etc. Never seems to be an end to the things they find to shit on. Even in a tournament which has feck all to do with the club. Of course they’re going to be right at some point about players. Giving yourself a pat on the back for saying Dan James wasn’t good enough for United isnt much to shout about I’m afraid.

Cole9

Had a great chance which he hit right at the keeper for some reason. He always seems to drill the ball instead of placing it - very one note.
This pretty much sums up what I was going to say. He just puts his head down and goes for power most of the time. I know he’s still young for a footballer, but having awareness of where the goalkeeper is positioned, and picking a target to aim for, is a basic thought process that he should know by now.

Rockets Redglare

This pretty much sums up what I was going to say. He just puts his head down and goes for power most of the time. I know he’s still young for a footballer, but having awareness of where the goalkeeper is positioned, and picking a target to aim for, is a basic thought process that he should know by now.
I disagree, look at his goals scored for us this season and he placed plenty of them in the bottom corner with finesse rather than power. Other than headers which he is genuinely poor at he scored all sorts of different goals for United.
People are just piling on him for no reason on here now.

NLunited

His attitude is great and he is talented: I‘m 99% sure he is going to make it here.

I predicted/hoped he would get 10 goals last season in PL. He did in a difficult season.

littlepeasoup

People forget someone like Ronaldo got an absolute pasting from swathes of United fans first/second season because it was all flair and no end product (obviously Rasmus is a different kind of player, but you get my meaning).

Either the lad will come good, or he won’t, but give him a chance ffs.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
People forget someone like Ronaldo got an absolute pasting from swathes of United fans first/second season because it was all flair and no end product (obviously Rasmus is a different kind of player, but you get my meaning).

Either the lad will come good, or he won’t, but give him a chance ffs.
Most fans would have sold young Ronaldo.

Rasmus could do better but we will see how he does over the next two years

Rockets Redglare

Most fans would have sold young Ronaldo.

Rasmus could do better but we will see how he does over the next two years
Exactly, that’s a perfectly reasonable way of looking at him.
No one is claiming him to be the finished article or that his season has went perfectly, but even with the long drought and issues he’s had he still scored 16 goals in a very disjointed team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
His attitude is great and he is talented: I‘m 99% sure he is going to make it here.

I predicted/hoped he would get 10 goals last season in PL. He did in a difficult season.
I am still waiting that someone explains where is that big talent. Not saying that he is dross but where is that amazing skill in which he stands out? He is quick. Ok. And....?

LankyHoggie

Not sure why people are piling on Rasmus on the back of poor international tournament that is filled with under performing players, some are world class players at their respective clubs.
All things considered, he did alright for us this season and was quite clinical with the opportunities he was given, despite coming to a new club in disarray, a new league, and a terrible league and European campaign with players that performed significantly worse than he has, playing a bizarre malfunctioning 4-1-5 formation for large parts of the season.

He was on a really hot streak too, before getting injured.
Not sure why folks are bringing up standards of the club as if we’re in 2000 and the continent has 100 potentially top class strikers to choose from.
Essentially based on what we know, it was either Randal Kolo Muani, Gonçalo Ramos or Rasmus, who is by the way younger than both.
Based on what I’ve seen from all three this season, I believe we’ve made the right choice.

If he can stay fit and improve his movement and timing I believe he will do really well for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Needs an experienced striker in their prime to take the heat off him and handle the burden right now whilst he learns his trade in the background. Not ready at the moment to handle the burden and too raw but obviously has showed glimpses of ridiculous talent mixed with basic fundamentals not being there. Too early to write him off, whatever happened to training younger players and letting them perfect their craft.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We need another ST to come in and help. Preferably an experienced one who’ll get us goals. I think Højlund will up his game a lot more if he knows he has competition.

Marwood

I am still waiting that someone explains where is that big talent. Not saying that he is dross but where is that amazing skill in which he stands out? He is quick. Ok. And....?
If you're CF is quick, strong and gets a good number of goals you can't these days ask for much more. Rasmus just needs to up that goal tally.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If you're CF is quick, strong and gets a good number of goals you can't these days ask for much more. Rasmus just needs to up that goal tally.
"Strong"argument is silly. He was bullied all year by every single defender in PL. Even small fullbacks outmuscled him. His hold up play is awful. I don't know why and who teached him that but he always makes himself small when shielding the ball and then he loses the ball. In air he is nowhere seen. I can't remember when he won a header.
Look at Isak; he is skinny and his hold up play is top notch.

If you think that 15 goals in all competions is "good number of goals" for first choice Man Utd striker then ok. I don't.

I am maybe too critical about him but i am thinking about next season; you can't expect much goals from our right wingers, with Rashy you never know and if we start with Hojlund as first choice striker, we will seriously lack goals.

Doracle

A top player needs a lot more than that. First touch and vision are really important nowadays for a real top number 9, as their role is no longer just scoring goals. Otherwise you can still be a successful player (Lukaku) but your ceiling is limited and ultimately you aren’t good enough for a top club. Currently, my suspicion is that Højlund will end up in that bucket, as I don’t see anything “special”, but hoping he proves me wrong.

Marwood

"Strong"argument is silly. He was bullied all year by every single defender in PL. Even small fullbacks outmuscled him. His hold up play is awful. I don't know why and who teached him that but he always makes himself small when shielding the ball and then he loses the ball. In air he is nowhere seen. I can't remember when he won a header.
Look at Isak; he is skinny and his hold up play is top notch.

If you think that 15 goals in all competions is "good number of goals" for first choice Man Utd striker then ok. I don't.

I am maybe too critical about him but i am thinking about next season; you can't expect much goals from our right wingers, with Rashy you never know and if we start with Hojlund as first choice striker, we will seriously lack goals.
He is a strong lad. He's shown that plenty even if his hold up play can improve.

I clearly didn't say 15 is a good number pf goals. In fact I literally said he needs to increase his goal tally.

A top player needs a lot more than that. First touch and vision are really important nowadays for a real top number 9, as their role is no longer just scoring goals. Otherwise you can still be a successful player (Lukaku) but your ceiling is limited and ultimately you aren’t good enough for a top club. Currently, my suspicion is that Højlund will end up in that bucket, as I don’t see anything “special”, but hoping he proves me wrong.
Disagree. That might have been the case ten or twenty years ago but today the role is on the verge of becoming extinct. The No.9 position has become a really strange thing. Most of them aren't particularly good goalscorers nor great creators. Athletes in the main who start the defensive press.

Why, is it the 70s now?
No but there's only a handful of really good No.9's on the entire planet it seems.

So if Rasmus gives us pace, strength, hardwork and gets his goal tally up by say 10 goals next season, you have to take that.

Unless there's a bunch of RvP's in storage somewhere.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Some of the posters in here should've taken the summer off from this thread, they can lean on their previous experiences of avoiding the thread anytime he scored during the season.

Giggsyking

He missed 2 sitters. If it was Rashford there would be 10 pages how he is shit.
Believe me, I am not a fan of him. But they were not sitter, the closest he got 1v1 was too little space between him and the goalkeeper. It was brilliant goalkeeping.

mu4c_20le

No but there's only a handful of really good No.9's on the entire planet it seems.

So if Rasmus gives us pace, strength, hardwork and gets his goal tally up by say 10 goals next season, you have to take that.

Unless there's a bunch of RvP's in storage somewhere.
Ah, lack of options. I thought you literally meant for us to go back to our roots

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Believe me, I am not a fan of him. But they were not sitter, the closest he got 1v1 was too little space between him and the goalkeeper. It was brilliant goalkeeping.
Standard for strikers who play for biggest clubs should never be "is it a sitter or not". What separates class strikers from average ones is ability to score goals from different chances, not just clear ones.
That chance in first half vs Germany; from United no9 i expect that he has ability to hit opposite bottom corner.

RedRocket9908

Rasmus had a really poor Euro's failing to score a single goal while frustrating his teammates with his misses, hopefully RVN can find a way to get more out of him in the coming season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He missed 2 sitters. If it was Rashford there would be 10 pages how he is shit.
Did he? When?
We already have seen finishing isn't really an issue for him all season so not sure why you would get your knickers in a twist about that.
He also didn't miss a single sitter anyway.

The main issue for him at United is actually getting the chances and being more involved in the game, his chance conversation rate speaks for itself

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's actually the exact opposite. He needs to work on all the other aspects of his game.
Rasmus scored 10 goals from xG of 7,6. That puts in him top 10-15 players outperforming his xG in 2023/24. The problem with this "stat" is that it goes up and down season by season. Haaland for example was in BOTTOM 15 players this season, while he was SECOND last season. The conclusion is that over time, it's not about finishing chances, it's about getting at the end of them.

His finishing/conversion rate is fantastic, but that's all he offers, what is kind of a problem long term because the foundations to build on are weak.

Mike Smalling

Did he? When?
We already have seen finishing isn't really an issue for him all season so not sure why you would get your knickers in a twist about that.
He also didn't miss a single sitter anyway.

The main issue for him at United is actually getting the chances and being more involved in the game, his chance conversation rate speaks for itself
Off the top of my head Højlund's chances this tournament were:
- Big chance vs. Slovenia from close range. After a low cross from the left. It's close to the goalkeeper, but he really should score.
- Low hard shot vs. Serbia from inside the area. Ok finish, but lacked real bite. Not a huge chance.
- Chance on the break vs. Germany. He's going full pelt and tries to lift it over Neuer who comes charging out and makes a good save.
- Chance from through ball vs. Germany. He actually controls the pass really well, but then just thumbs it at the goalkeeper. Has to do better.

He will be disappointed not to come away with a goal. I'd say the Slovenia one has to be a goal, and the last Germany chance he has to at least make it harder for the goalkeeper.

Cassidy

It's actually the exact opposite. He needs to work on all the other aspects of his game.
Rasmus scored 10 goals from xG of 7,6. That puts in him top 10-15 players outperforming his xG in 2023/24. The problem with this "stat" is that it goes up and down season by season. Haaland for example was in BOTTOM 15 players this season, while he was SECOND last season. The conclusion is that over time, it's not about finishing chances, it's about getting at the end of them.

His finishing/conversion rate is fantastic, but that's all he offers, what is kind of a problem long term because the foundations to build on are weak.
This is being massively overplayed, the eye test shows he has many very good attributes. Looks at some of his play int he UCL group stages for instance (where as a team we were a far better attacking outfit)
It was his first season in the PL and only his second in a top 5 league.
He has actually shown a lot of promise, one thing about strikers too as you would see with players like Jackson, Jesus, Nketiah etc etc finishing is probably the hardest skill to teach a striker, this guy seems to have it so building out the rest of his game I think is easier.
For his age 16 goals in your first season in the PL in a team that hardly creates is pretty good, he can also create goals for himself which is good too but needs to do it more often.

I think he needs to improve a lot and we shouldn't have spent 72m on him, but actually he has shown a lot of promise and I think he can became a really good PL striker in the next 2 season if we improve the team around him

Cassidy

Off the top of my head Højlund's chances this tournament were:
- Big chance vs. Slovenia from close range. After a low cross from the left. It's close to the goalkeeper, but he really should score.
- Low hard shot vs. Serbia from inside the area. Ok finish, but lacked real bite. Not a huge chance.
- Chance on the break vs. Germany. He's going full pelt and tries to lift it over Neuer who comes charging out and makes a good save.
- Chance from through ball vs. Germany. He actually controls the pass really well, but then just thumbs it at the goalkeeper. Has to do better.

He will be disappointed not to come away with a goal. I'd say the Slovenia one has to be a goal, and the last Germany chance he has to at least make it harder for the goalkeeper.
The last chance against Gernamy, the defender blocks the path to shoot to towards the far post. Anyway so he didn't miss 2 sitters, sure maybe he should have scored a goal, but like I said in my post his finishing is not really an issue and never has been

YikesSchmeics

He has a goal in him, as we saw in the CL groups and at times. I think 16 goals for United at his age and in the circumstances, is pretty good.

He is strong. He is very willing to get stuck into defenders, and I think actually spends too much time focusing on the battle and not enough on the ball. That should come. I remember seeing young Drogba a few times and thinking something similar. It's far to say he pieced it all together.

He is 21 and just completed his 3rd full season of professional football. As I've seen people say, the Caf would have given up on young Ronaldo. Or the Class of 92. Even using the above Drogba example, he was 26/27 when he joined Chelsea and had just managed a full season with more than 10 goals scored for only the 2nd time in his career. He'd have been long written off by the Caf by then. The counter arguments of Mbappe or Bellingham are often given referring to age but those guys are freaks. Most of the time young players need time. KDB had to go back to Germany before it all clicked together for him.

The lack of patience and foresight on here is amazing. People talk about low standards but they are so detached from reality. I think most of us want to see us winning, but also accept the reality that we are more than a bit shite and no longer minted so have to trust the young lads to develop rather than continue to "get rid of the deadwood" and spend hundreds of millions that we don't have, to replace them. Using our limited funds this summer should definitely be alocated to a striker, but not to replace Hojlund, but to take some of the weight off his incredibly young shoulders.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I hope he gets a good rest, it's been a long old season for him and no doubt a steep learning curve. Good holiday, stay fit for preseason, and onwards and upwards.

Mike Smalling

The last chance against Gernamy, the defender blocks the path to shoot to towards the far post. Anyway so he didn't miss 2 sitters, sure maybe he should have scored a goal, but like I said in my post his finishing is not really an issue and never has been
Yeah, I agree. There are other aspects that are more worrying for sure.

Also, the level of scrutiny is kind of ridiculous. Here are some other players that also haven't scored from open play this tournament: Mbappe, Ronaldo, Lukaku, Sesko, Lewandowski, Griezmann. It happens.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This is being massively overplayed, the eye test shows he has many very good attributes. Looks at some of his play int he UCL group stages for instance (where as a team we were a far better attacking outfit)
It was his first season in the PL and only his second in a top 5 league.
He has actually shown a lot of promise, one thing about strikers too as you would see with players like Jackson, Jesus, Nketiah etc etc finishing is probably the hardest skill to teach a striker, this guy seems to have it so building out the rest of his game I think is easier.
For his age 16 goals in your first season in the PL in a team that hardly creates is pretty good, he can also create goals for himself which is good too but needs to do it more often.

I think he needs to improve a lot and we shouldn't have spent 72m on him, but actually he has shown a lot of promise and I think he can became a really good PL striker in the next 2 season if we improve the team around him
I have seen every minute of Hojlund in United shirt. I think his finishing is very very good* but the other basic elements are below average level for PL striker. I don't know if he's going to improve on that aspects, feels kind of unfair to expect this from him just like I don't expect Antony to improve significantly on his right foot ability.

My opinion is like this: If you have one deficiency to your game, you can work around that. If you have one strength, sooner rather than later it'll become a problem for the team. We have players like that already in the team that require specific tactical setup (Rashford, Bruno to an extent) that's why I was not a fan of signing Hojlund-profile striker.

*like I mentioned in previous post, there is some element of luck that plays a role so it is POSSIBLE he doesn't keep scoring at current rate next season. Based on current knowledge of how football works, we should not expect this to continue.