View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I have seen every minute of Hojlund in United shirt. I think his finishing is very very good* but the other basic elements are below average level for PL striker. I don't know if he's going to improve on that aspects, feels kind of unfair to expect this from him just like I don't expect Antony to improve significantly on his right foot ability.

My opinion is like this: If you have one deficiency to your game, you can work around that. If you have one strength, sooner rather than later it'll become a problem for the team. We have players like that already in the team that require specific tactical setup (Rashford, Bruno to an extent) that's why I was not a fan of signing Hojlund-profile striker.

*like I mentioned in previous post, there is some element of luck that plays a role so it is POSSIBLE he doesn't keep scoring at current rate next season. Based on current knowledge of how football works, we should not expect this to continue.
It was his first season in the PL and only his second in a top 5 league. I think you can expect a lot of improvement from him

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It was his first season in the PL and only his second in a top 5 league. I think you can expect a lot of improvement from him
Like I mentioned before, I have watched him closely and I don't rate his potential very highly. Even if he is still a very good pure goalscorer (possible, but also unlikely - he didn't do that well at Euros ) I am afraid he has reached his ceiling due to some natural limitations to his game.

I can be wrong here, but it really seems people talk about potential because of his age rather that actually explaining what specific elements of it. Same happened last season to Antony, plenty of people shouting about his potential. They are not on the same level at all, but you get my point. He's getting a lot of leeway because of his age, that's fair, but that's not a particularly interesting discussion as far as "let's give him time" kind of final statement goes. I'd prefer to talk about specifics.

Cassidy

Like I mentioned before, I have watched him closely and I don't rate his potential very highly. Even if he is still a very good pure goalscorer (possible, but also unlikely - he didn't do that well at Euros ) I am afraid he has reached his ceiling due to some natural limitations to his game.

I can be wrong here, but it really seems people talk about potential because of his age rather that actually explaining what specific elements of it. Same happened last season to Antony, plenty of people shouting about his potential. They are not on the same level at all, but you get my point. He's getting a lot of leeway because of his age, that's fair, but that's not a particularly interesting discussion as far as "let's give him time" kind of final statement goes. I'd prefer to talk about specifics.
You are not the only one, pretty much most United fans here watched all his games this season
Some also watched him at Atalanta
He should be getting a lot of leeway because of his age

What do you specifically want him to improve specifically? There is plenty he will and can improve on, but most of all, he will be more accustomed to the pace and speed of play in the PL; also, hopefully, the team as a whole will improve its play because this hurt him this season.

The major issue I see with him is that he needs to become a lot better in the air; for someone for his size and physicality, he is surprisingly poor there, and he also needs to stop engaging defenders in physical battles over getting hold of the ball (a lot of this is just experience)

If you watched him at Atalanta, you would see that he is actually very good at working the channels and isolating defenders 1 vs 1 (something we didn't take advantage of at United), things like timing of movement etc comes with understanding his team mates better because the attack last season was abysmal

For a striker, though he has the one attribute that you can't teach, he is a very good finisher with both feet.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

I think that's a pretty fair take.

In terms of the squad, I think almost everyone would agree that we need some kind of alternative to Højlund next season. Both to give him competition and rest when needed. That can take many forms, but it has to be someone that plays the position naturally.

As for Rasmus, he will of course get the next season as well, so I hope we are able to coach him into a better player. There is stuff to build on, but also stuff that needs to be sorted out. And then I sincerely hope we can play better as a team and provide more opportunities, because he was feeding off scraps last year. He takes part of the blame for that with some poor hold-up play at times, but certainly not all the blame.

Realistically I'd say we should target for 15 league goals and +20 in total with improvements in his general play (assuming he still doesn't take penalties). That would be good progress.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You are not the only one, pretty much most United fans here watched all his games this season
Some also watched him at Atalanta
He should be getting a lot of leeway because of his age

What do you specifically want him to improve specifically? There is plenty he will and can improve on, but most of all, he will be more accustomed to the pace and speed of play in the PL; also, hopefully, the team as a whole will improve its play because this hurt him this season.

The major issue I see with him is that he needs to become a lot better in the air; for someone for his size and physicality, he is surprisingly poor there, and he also needs to stop engaging defenders in physical battles over getting hold of the ball (a lot of this is just experience)

If you watched him at Atalanta, you would see that he is actually very good at working the channels and isolating defenders 1 vs 1 (something we didn't take advantage of at United), things like timing of movement etc comes with understanding his team mates better because the attack last season was abysmal
I can name a number of things that I think he's not even on the level of average EPL striker, but I don't want to do that (those are pretty obvious tbh). I would like you to name things that are his strengths since you've seen a lot of him apparently. About the Atalanta, I am very careful about "he used to do it in different league" kind of statements for obvious reasons. He used to bear defenders for pace in Italy as well, it's a different level now.

Maybe I will explain myself from a different angle, I think a lot of his deficiencies are down to poor technique, balance and lack of "natural ability". I don't believe that if you are so poor back to goal and at heading the ball this is something you can train at the age of 22. Experience will improve his decision making, but not technique and balance.

Cassidy

I can name a number of things that I think he's not even on the level of average EPL striker, but I don't want to do that (those are pretty obvious tbh). I would like you to name things that are his strengths since you've seen a lot of him apparently. About the Atalanta, I am very careful about "he used to do it in different league" kind of statements for obvious reasons. He used to bear defenders for pace in Italy as well, it's a different level now.

Maybe I will explain myself from a different angle, I think a lot of his deficiencies are down to poor technique, balance and lack of "natural ability". I don't believe that if you are so poor back to goal and at heading the ball this is something you can train at the age of 22. Experience will improve his decision making, but not technique and balance.
You wanted to talk about specifics, but you were criticising him, and yet you can't name anything specific?
Anyway heading is an issue, but his technique being poor I think is overstated especially having watched him at Atalanta. I think he is struggling to adapt to a new level (e.g speed and pace of the PL)
Similarly I remember Drogba having similar issues in his first season in the PL

He is a good finisher with both feet, can dribble and beat defenders 1 vs 1, has a good first touch generally, links up well with a second attacker, picks good passes and makes good decisions in the final third.
Most importantly though for a striker he does not panic in front of goal and usually picks the best finishing option

One thing I think he needs to improve on is his movement and positioning but this is something I think you learn over time, he played a lot with a strike partner at Atalanta so playing as a lone striker is very different and he is adjusting

Last edited:

AlexUTD

I hate the fact that he plays for us - our standards are so low these days.
What the feck are you talking about?

This is a young player with HUGE potential to be one of the worlds most complete strikers around. We saw periods last year where he showed class and that without very little help when it comes to crosses especially.

Will be sure to quote your post when he starts to fire on all cylinders.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Anyway heading is an issue, but his technique being poor I think is overstated especially having watched him at Atalanta. I think he is struggling to adapt to a new level (e.g speed and pace of the PL)
Similarly I remember Drogba having similar issues in his first season in the PL

He is a good finisher with both feet, can dribble and beat defenders 1 vs 1, has a good first touch generally, links up well with a second attacker, picks good passes and makes good decisions in the final third.
Most importantly though for a striker he does not panic in front of goal and usually picks the best finishing option

One thing I think he needs to improve on is his movement and positioning but this is something I think you learn over time, he played a lot with a strike partner at Atalanta so playing as a lone striker is very different and he is adjusting
I think you have a different picture of Hojlund because you have seen him in Italy, what I really don't care too much about. He seems quite far from EPL level in all those aspects you named so we can just agree to disagree, especially if you truly believe that "has a good first touch generally".

Marwood

It's actually the exact opposite. He needs to work on all the other aspects of his game.
Rasmus scored 10 goals from xG of 7,6. That puts in him top 10-15 players outperforming his xG in 2023/24. The problem with this "stat" is that it goes up and down season by season. Haaland for example was in BOTTOM 15 players this season, while he was SECOND last season. The conclusion is that over time, it's not about finishing chances, it's about getting at the end of them.

His finishing/conversion rate is fantastic, but that's all he offers, what is kind of a problem long term because the foundations to build on are weak.
Yeah agree and I didn't mean he only had to work on his finishing. Increasing his tally would yes also include being in the right spot at the right time.

But looking at last season, what was the bigger problem? Rasmus being in the wrong place to finish chances or the chances not being created in the first place?

Schmeichels pinky

It’s very common for this type of player to develop the skills needed for the striker position later than others in different positions.

He is really quick, but hasn’t gotten many chances to show it. I remember that he outran Van de Ven for example. He is not below average at holding the ball and will improve and his passing is way above average - he’s played some brilliant through balls for Garnacho for example.
I haven’t checked his stats but I’m sure you’ll see that they back up that he’s a great talent.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yeah agree and I didn't mean he only had to work on his finishing. Increasing his tally would yes also include being in the right spot at the right time.

But looking at last season, what was the bigger problem? Rasmus being in the wrong place to finish chances or the chances not being created in the first place?
I think that is THE question. I think it's on the team mostly, but at the same time it seems McTominay is like a magnet for those kind of chances so I'm not sure.

I think he's a wrong profile striker for the team that we are currently, what adds to those problems as well. In terms of number of goals scored he far exceeded my expectations for last season so it's not like we're doomed, but I do have concerns on him.

Midrich

He is going to play as a RW if we get Zirzkee.

Gives him the chance to finish off chances like David Villa with a False 9 like Zirkzee & be on his stronger foot.

Rashford - Hojlund
Zirkzee​

Rojofiam

He played 3096 minutes for us, so around 34-35 full games of playtime, scored 16 goals, despite receiving nothing for the whole season from his teammates.

The doubters should ask themselves how many goals would he have scored for City or Arsenal in 3096 minutes. I don't think it's an outrageous claim to say at least 25. And 25 goals in 35 games is a great number, especially at 21.

Rojofiam

He is going to play as a RW if we get Zirzkee.

Gives him the chance to finish off chances like David Villa with a False 9 like Zirkzee & be on his stronger foot.

Rashford - Hojlund
Zirkzee​
Hojlund definitely won't play RW.

RedRocket9908

I wonder if there is any truth in the story that we offered him to Napoli in part exchange for Osimhem, if there is it shows dont have a lot of belief in his ability to play at this level.

RuudTom83

I wonder if there is any truth in the story that we offered him to Napoli in part exchange for Osimhem, if there is it shows dont have a lot of belief in his ability to play at this level.
Someone better tell INEOS, EtH and the marketing department then. As he was one of the names reported as being not for sale along with Garnacho and Mainoo.

Stop believing every daft transfer rumour dreamed up by dogshit journalists.

RedRocket9908

Someone better tell INEOS, EtH and the marketing department then. As he was one of the names reported as being not for sale along with Garnacho and Mainoo.

Stop believing every daft transfer rumour dreamed up by dogshit journalists.
Who reported he was one of those that was not for sale, was it those same so-called dogshit journalists?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wonder if there's any truth in the idea that we didn't.

saik

Maybe this will cheer you up

Thank you for sharing this. Many of the doubters should really take note. Some of the posts I've come across on previous pages have been incredibly harsh. His main issue is inconsistency, whether it's with his touch or his goal-scoring for us. It's worth noting that he had a stop-start season due to a back injury upon arrival, with virtually no preseason, and later another injury. His fundamentals are there; he just needs to piece it all together.

As for those claiming he only finishing is blasting with his left foot, it's disingenuous. Either you don't watch our games, have short memories, or are pushing an agenda. I argued this with another poster in the Zirkzee thread too. How can anyone watch the variety of goals he's scored for us and still think he's one-dimensional?

For those saying his finishing lacks variety, they really need to give their head a wobble.