QF | England vs Switzerland | Netherlands vs Turkey

He’s a city player so why not?

Well I suppose the chap just missed a penalty to put his country out. That's usually enough to get called a prick online. So I guess you're just keeping up a proud tradition.

Or maybe I'm not an England supporter...
To be fair I'm not an English supporter either but it's a bit weird to be critical of them celebrating, obviously they are going to do that, what else would you think they'd do in that situation?

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/match/2036208--england-vs-switzerland/statistics/

England had the better of the game. Saka's trickery should probably have led to a couple of goals in my opinion, best player on the pitch.

Switzerland had probably three periods in the game where they put England under sustained pressure but it didn't come to much.

The fact that England were poor doesn't make the opposition automatically better.
It didn't come to much when England were in control either, did it? And on the quality of chances, the Swiss did better.

Easiest knockout draw possibly in tournament history, outplayed in every single game of the tournament. Would be a bigger fluke than even Greece in 04. At least Greece had to beat the hosts twice.

So it is England's fault that the Swiss beat the Italians, who are the holders and played terribly?

It becomes an easier draw when shocks happen.

That is tournament football.

No offence but you sound incredibly bitter. Who do you support?

We’ve been playing for penalties since the group stage

And, it's working.

All this hypercaution is almost making me suspect that there's a rational strategy at play here. What if Southgate doesn't actually distrust his players, but instead trusts them so much that he figures if they just play totally safe all the time except when they're behind, their quality is such that odds favor a combination of a clean sheet and someone stepping up to settle it with a golden moment? And if not, that they'll prevail in the penalty contest? You almost have to wonder.

Turkey booing/whistling are the pits …hope the Dutch fecking batter them

Turkey going to shithouse Netherlands and then we play an exhausted Turkey please.

England pre-Southgate in 65 years of major tournaments:

1 win
2 SF

England in 6 years under Southgate:

1 final
2 SF

I don’t rate him at all but that really is crazy (more how England have underperformed previously in fairness).

England in 6 years under anyone else ;

3 wins

This generation should have been the Spain of recent years

England pre-Southgate in 65 years of major tournaments:

1 win
2 SF

England in 6 years under Southgate:

1 final
2 SF

I don’t rate him at all but that really is crazy (more how England have underperformed previously in fairness).

One of our biggest issues historically was that we couldn't win ugly and winners of big tournaments have to sometimes. I hate the way we play, but Southgate seems to have that going for him.

None of these other QFs make our exit feel better or deserved to be honest

Think it really shows how much individual quality has been sacrificed (especially in forwards) in order for modern teams to be able to adapt to the modern obsession of pressing systems/positional play/work rate.

You see so many of these teams running for 120 minutes and defending as a unit/wingers tracking back and strikers pressing, and because of that very few forwards have that level of engine while also having pure quality to make a difference in these tight games. I've seen so many counters fecked up, or final balls/shots skewed. Having to watch Kai Havertz up top for Germany or Kolo Muani for France, it's sad.

Well I suppose the chap just missed a penalty to put his country out. That's usually enough to get called a prick online. So I guess you're just keeping up a proud tradition.
Okay.

I thought that was our best performance of the tournament but still not enough urgency or cutting edge and Kane should have come off in regular time, just horrible. Toney needs to be starting.