QF | England vs Switzerland | Netherlands vs Turkey

It's a somewhat recent phenomenon no?
International matches in the 90's where much more open and fun.

Quite a few teams now seem to be going with 5 at the back. Not sure when it started but no one really does it at club level.

So it is England's fault that the Swiss beat the Italians, who are the holders and played terribly?

It becomes an easier draw when shocks happen.

That is tournament football.

No offence but you sound incredibly bitter. Who do you support?
I know its tournament football but don't pretend like this run isn't a massive fluke. If they replayed this tournament over ten times, England would have been out by now 9 times out of 10. Lucky for England, tournament football is one off and if England win, it won't matter how its been done but its still a textbook fluke. No need to take it personal. Topping a group with 5 points and two goals scored, needing a last gasp overhead kick to take the mighty Slovakia to extra time, bailed out against Switzerland by the lottery of penalties. All while the better countries beat themselves up in the other half of the knockout draw. Can't get flukier than that.

Is Guler actually likely to get much game time for you lot next year? You guys have an embarrassment of riches at the moment.

Not sure, will of course depend on injuries and how far we progress etc. But I think probably more than last season, see if he can develop in that CM role perhaps.

Quite a few teams now seem to be going with 5 at the back. Not sure when it started but no one really does it at club level.
Club football, especially in premiership, is much faster and much higher quality. The crap tactics of Euros won't work in EPL. I assume you can find 5 at the back in lesser European leagues, however

This game is much better than England - Swiss. Turkiye are a genuinely good team

This game is much better than England - Swiss. Turkiye are a genuinely good team
Was always gonna be. I said before the England game we’ll have a boring game before an entertaining one

Holland needs to up their tempo by a factor of ten or they won’t win this game. Extremely low paced and lacking energy for them right now.

Yeah, that's the trend in this tournament, teams are playing to not lose. Add to that the blatant lack of individual quality.

It's the worst Euro I've watched since 1992.

I know its tournament football but don't pretend like this run isn't a massive fluke. If they replayed this tournament over ten times, England would have been out by now 9 times out of 10. Lucky for England, tournament football is one off and if England win, it won't matter how its been done but its still a textbook fluke. No need to take it personal. Topping a group with 5 points and two goals scored, needing a last gasp overhead kick to take the mighty Slovakia to extra time, bailed out against Switzerland by the lottery of penalties. All while the better countries beat themselves up in the other half of the knockout draw. Can't get flukier than that.
You're overstating things a fair bit. They've had luck but to say they'd be out 9/10 is wrong. If they played Slovakia 9/10 they wouldn't be in that position 9/10 times. Ultimately they still got the job done that occasion as well, which is always a possibility against tiring opposition when you have quality individuals.

And, it's working.

All this hypercaution is almost making me suspect that there's a rational strategy at play here. What if Southgate doesn't actually distrust his players, but instead trusts them so much that he figures if they just play totally safe all the time except when they're behind, their quality is such that odds favor a combination of a clean sheet and someone stepping up to settle it with a golden moment? And if not, that they'll prevail in the penalty contest? You almost have to wonder.
I like your rational but I feel it’s more luck than judgement but I’ll take it. Knockout football is a total different sport sometimes.

They can beat France who have been as awful as England. They'll get beat by Spain though.

France has been poor but I don’t think England score against them (outside of a PK or setpiece).

France can still turn it up and have another gear to hit

This has been a good palate cleanser after the last two matches. Made me believe in football again.