QF | England vs Switzerland | Netherlands vs Turkey

Counterpoint: due to the amount of physical effort, less space to work with and higher level of opposition, they don’t get to showcase all of that.

They have plenty of space, they are just useless with it, they freeze and then pass it backward.

First time England have played in this tournament and not looked totally incapable. It's a low bar, we're not going to be frightening anyone, but at least we don't look like 11 strangers. We can s-thouse our way to a result like this.

listening to these muppets at the bbc, you'd think we were up 3-0

The reality is we haven't even had a shot on target.
I can't understand why they're anywhere near as positive as they are. It's like we're watching a different game. It's really weird.

Foden being heavily praised, no idea why.

First half was bang average, couple of moments in the half but nothing that impressive.

Ball goes left, works its way back right to Saka. Ball goes left, works its way back right to Saka.

What are the pundits saying about the team's performance ? It's about time they rip both GS& the players apart
They are all parroting how the new shape is much better, and yet there is no goal in sight for England and Swiss are still one fast, very probable counter-attacking goal away from ending Southgate's misery

Love how Micah puts on this really intense voice when making a pointless point.
:D :lol:

England definitely looks better but Foden doesn't really fit with the rest and Kane looks invisible and doesn't fit this group of players at all. I'd say Mainoo, Belligham and Saka look the best of England and certainly combine the best. Kane just looks lost.

Teams rarely take risks in the modern game, especially in tournaments. All very passive.

It's so dull. Imagine you're a kid playing in the park and you have a corner which ends up back with your own keeper without the opposition touching the ball. It just doesn't happen. Kids play without fear. This lot look terrified that they'll misplace a pass and end up on some YouTube fail compilation..

I understand not wanting to lose an important game, but you have to try to win it. Safety football is dull football. Football is meant to be expressive and exciting.

I actually think England have played well. It’s the controlled Pep style of play the media and pundits drool over but only thing missing is the movement that allows things to speed up and create openings.

Watkins on and England win this. Saka and Mainoo have been excellent. Kane abysmal.

How low is the bar for BBC punditry to be content with this performance. I’d say its probably the least worst half of the tournament so far for England

They've passed it sideways on the halfway line as usual for the whole half. Not a single on target.

But Saka and Mainoo went on a decent run each, so they're actually Brazil 1970 when you think about it.

Saka was the best player on the pitch in that half. Bellingham has that x-factor about him which we saw in moments, Mainoo has looked composed and reliable. Kane has had a half to forget, and Foden is still struggling to get into the game.

Lineker...."significantly better....no shots on target.." :lol:
Honestly, this probably is significantly better from the last outing and we're still nothing special.

Again, Southgate will fail these players.

The Swiss are sitting deep, of course England will control the ball. But no shots on goal. The obvious substitution is Toney for Kane, but of course that’s not going to happen.

Surprised by the response regarding Foden. I think he's done well, personally.

The issues are Trippier on the left and that statue uptop.

Somebody please edit the title of this thread.

Dutch are facing Türkiye, not a Thanksgiving bird

The Swiss are sitting deep, of course England will control the ball. But no shots on goal. The obvious substitution is Toney for Kane, but of course that’s not going to happen.
They didn't come out that way. They're sitting deep because we've made them.

Have these pundits been told to stop with the negativity after the last match? Bigging up the most mundane muck . Wild.

I think what makes these games worse is that for some reason all opposition teams are scared against England, are afraid to have a high intensity high energy pressing game and are more than happy to sit with 10 behind the ball, sometimes even 11.

That, combined with England's ineffectiveness at the top end of the pitch, makes the games dreadful.

I think opponents rate England based on the players reputations rather than their actual performances as a team in this tournament.

Expected a bit more from Switzerland tbh. Wonder if they're happy with how that half went (England didn't actually create much) or if they'll want to change things.