PL L FA Premier League

West Ham United 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 27 October 2024

Ok we should have scored in the first half, but you can't take a half off and expect to win games.

For people trying to absolve EtH of blame here, what happened in the 2nd half? How is it we're being dominated by West Ham?

Their manager made a change that swung the game in their favour and our manager had no answer.

Michael Oliver VAR gives that penalty after saying Doku's kick in in the chest on McCallister is not enough contact for a penalty, oh dear.

We have swapped places with Liverpool. Its kind of ironic how they're our biggest rivals and yet we've never really both been good at the same time. You can make a case that in the mid to late 90s they were title challengers, but Arsenal were the main hurdle. Likewise, in the late 2000s they had one season where they ran us close but Chelsea were the team really pushing us. Somehow when we're good they're not and vice versa.

I'll caveat by saying I fully believe that the referees are biased against us. They know that, by and large, there's no harm in giving a decision against Man Utd. The rest of English football will not care and Ten Hag isn't a Klopp or a Mourinho type who will call them out properly. So, even if they get it wrong, there's no real downside to making calls against us.

That being said, we can't keep crying about referees and playing the victim. We did not lose today because of a penalty call. We lost because we should've been 4-0 up at half time and wasted every opportunity to put the game beyond West Ham. Those very early chances Garnacho wasted, if that's Luis Diaz or Diogo Jota Liverpool are 2-0 up and the game is as good as done. We have, repeatedly, missed big chances at good moments, given up momentum and given up points. We have to look in the mirror and face reality about why.

11 points after 9 games is certainly something. I'm in genuine shock he got another season.

i think the FA have a problem now..... Lets play out a scenario....this week ETH gets sacked and the FA come out and say that the pen decision was an error and should not have been reviewed as it was not clear & obvious especially when the ref took so long to review after a VAR review. So the decision is directly related to a manager getting sacked. Would there be grounds for compensation??
No he needs sacking anyway

The reason we are hit is so blatantly obvious. Fergie always had 2 and as many as 4 top class strikers in their prime. We have had none since he left. We have tried old gtting past it and young with no experience at this level. I hope Ineos and the next manager recognises this.

Cannot wait to see what Webb is going to say about the penalty.
To be honest, the VAR is simply just a joke. Put it in the EPL just easily show the whole world how VAR = Very average referees. What happened to the handball from Ings before he crashed with De Ligt? Why it was not considered? In a 50/50 situation like this and you rewarded a penalty after a long period time? What a shame.
If Ings could stood up and said they both crashed accidentally and should not be a penalty; I would give him a thumbs up.

I trust his dreams will be troubled by a diminutive Spanish taxi driver, by the name of Xavi, hurtling him headlong toward Manchester airport.

All the lights are green. There are no queues at check-in. The only nagging doubt is that ETH is wearing a pilot's cap, yet he has no idea how to fly the plane.

Yes he does but who comes in? INEOS are cutting costs left and right and they won't want to pay off ETH and whatever the new man costs, and that might mean compensation to the club we get him from.
Thats the problem.
Hes still in a job because of the money to get shut of him. Then we are stuck paying another club off to take their manager.
Maybe they are hoping that someone is coming towards the end of their contract, or maybe they have agreed with someone to come in next season. Who knows?

We were shit in the second half and as a result we lose. You have to be dominant for 90 minutes to not risk a draw or a loss.

I’m not interested in the var decision. I want us to concentrate on improving our play from the 1st minute until the 90th

ETH is the man standing in the way of that.

The reason we are hit is so blatantly obvious. Fergie always had 2 and as many as 4 top class strikers in their prime. We have had none since he left. We have tried old gtting past it and young with no experience at this level. I hope Ineos and the next manager recognises this.
That's not really a thing anymore though. How many prem clubs have more than one top class strikers in their prime?

The real issue is how pathetic our wide options are. Garnacho and Rashford wouldn't start at any top 6 team, I have more patience with Garna because he's young and maybe he can reach the level we need but as of right now he's no better than most wingers in the bottom half of the table.

Not even remotely close to elite wide forwards like Vini/Yamal/Saka/Son/Salah etc etd

that miss by Dalot was absolutely shocking and then he falls asleep on the back side for a simple tap in goal.....it's the same shit that would happne to AWB and we shipped him out eventually for it

I missed the game so only seen the pen on the threads in here
Looks like De Ligt kicks the West Ham player so why are people saying it wasn’t a pen?
Have I missed something

Now we have to hope we can beat Chelsea and Leicester and Everton don't win next weekend or they will climb above us as well.

It’s clearly obvious that the attacking options in the squad are not fit for purpose, Michael Olise would have been a transformative signing but he clearly had a look at the squad and said Nah, not for me.

Right now we can not continue like this so INEOS have to make some obvious decisions;

1. Call ETH this evening and tell him he’s being relieved of his position from this evening.

2. Ask RVN to take the team for the next 5 or 6 games, the players and the squad just need a different voice.

3. The United board have clearly been looking at candidates to replace him so go find the best one. Tell the coach that he can bring in 1or 2 players of his choice in January or July however the club are looking to recruit 4 or 5 players in the winter window with most having PL experience.

4. We’ve got no money, Get Danny wellbeck, B Mbeumo, L Goretka (Loan) and A Robinson(27m) or B Chillwell on loan, we just need players who are either seasoned and in form like the first two or a point to prove like the last 2 or 3.

5. Sir Jim needs to make funds available we need to spend at least £90-100m plus player sales, Antony must go, Garnaucho, Hojlund and Zirkzee should be starting on the bench and trying to prove to a new manager that deserve to starting at man united.

6. Use the month that an interim like RVN gives you to go find the right coach.

Agreed
Not signing a top striker has been a huge mistake, 80mil on Antony instead

After calming down a bit, it's still sad to see our highly paid players play like low level team against a team weak as WH, even with the chances we missed, we looked off the whole game, we all want Ten Hag gone, but we still have to contend with the fact most of our important players are low level actually, Bruno, Rash, Cas, Eriksen, and the others are young and dumb like Hojlund and Garna, the defenders can't make much difference if the front line players are this terrible.

Classic United under ETH. As soon as opposition managers do something to change the game, we freeze and don't know what's hit us.

Thats the problem.
Hes still in a job because of the money to get shut of him. Then we are stuck paying another club off to take their manager.
Maybe they are hoping that someone is coming towards the end of their contract, or maybe they have agreed with someone to come in next season. Who knows?
Which means they're willing to write off this season. What if something really bad happens and we find ourselves in the drop zone? It's not unthinkable and we've been here before.

if Ten Hag was your employee, it would be like them doing something every week that isn't working but also plausibly wasn't completely his fault. The fact it goes every week for over two years... and at some point you have to just say the bad luck hex is reason enough to let them go. Except in INEOS's case, their employee is a mixture of bad luck and being in over his head.

My Liverpool-supporting friend just texted me to say 'how the feck was that a penalty', so when even our auld enemy sees it's bullshit, that's saying something.

I see. Yeah we've been crying out for a top striker for the past few years. I have pretty high hopes for Hojlund but still.
Hojlund shouldnt have been bought for 70+ million at the level he is at. In a perfect world he or a player like him (as in a young unexperienced striker) should have been bought for a lot less to compliment our experienced striker and learn off him to eventually take over, not expected to come in and save a mediocre side.

The weakness and lack of fight on the pitch comes from every single part of the club. Just imagine Alex Ferguson being involved in this era with Oliver - what we're seeing is not normal. It's cheating, and there are many vested interests and huge takes and protecting the cash cow that is premier league football. I was ashamed of our players at full time, over back slapping with that ref.

Just remember andy d'urso, who gave a correct penalty to middlesbrough. Im not condoning it, but what you're seeing is a difference in will to win. And the manager has been weak in his interview, maybe he'll say more in press conference, and the club as a whole should have been making enough fuss that michael oliver is never on var on our games. he doesnt have to be. there are countless refs.

We're a weak club from the top down.

Which means they're willing to write off this season. What if something really bad happens and we find ourselves in the drop zone? It's not unthinkable and we've been here before.
The season is already written off. Where do you think we will finish? What gives you confidence TH can turn it around? Do you think that all of a sudden we will become like prime Barca and climb to the top of the table?

Player Ratings

Provisional results
4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 121 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd