EL D Europa League

Manchester United 1:1 FC Twente

Post-match discussion

Wed, 25 September 2024

Probably one of the easier games we will have in EL this season.
Might be a step too difficult for us this challenge.

I am sick to the back teeth of Bruno
Good performance at home versus a tough to play opponent. It’s a decent draw, and sets us up to progress in Europa. Would’ve been happier with 3 points, but we’ll take it!
What????

Flat. Dull. Toothless. We look uninspired. I'm not expecting much from the next run of fixtures.
Except at the end, when someone realized that we need to get more goals than the opposition to win. Why do we plod thru so much of the game?

it's not a good sign hearing this after a limp 1-1 against Twente

Feck i was upbeat going into this game, but....wow

The players arent motivated at all. With pep every player at city is at it 110 percent. Same as us under Ferguson. Football is 70 percent motivation and 30 percent tactics.

So i think its over for ten hag.

I don't understand why people are so keen on Ruud, by all accounts he's the one coaching our attacking routines and therefore shares responsibility for us looking so toothless.

Nagelsmann however would be dreamy.

I know results haven’t shown it yet but by and large we’ve attacked better this season than last. Tonight wasn’t great and lacked intensity all round but it’s been finishing rather than creation that’s been my major concern.

That’s kind of the opposite issue to last season when we weren’t creating anything. We were going whole halves of football without a shot.

Fulham - Bruno missed multiple one-on-ones
Brighton - Garnacho/Zirkzee offside mistake
Liverpool - Zirkzee missed big chances albeit at 0-3.
Palace - loads of chances missed

Tonight in some ways was the worst game from a creativity standpoint.

Just never looked like we are going to score a winner. Same as Saturday night, playing like we are seeing out a game when we should be going hammer and tongs at them.
So so poor.
Bruno needs dropping.

I know it was only Barnsley, but United were 5-0 up in that game without Bruno. He used to be the inspiration, but tonight he was utterly useless. Shooting that free kick in the last seconds just rounded off his truly awful performance. If he's playing like this by regularly giving the ball away, then United won't get anywhere.
All the talk during the match was about Rashford not starting at the weekend with points being dropped. He plays tonight and points are dropped. Not saying he was awful tonight but he hasn't exactly put in a performance that made you wonder why he was dropped. Now they'll be asking why he was taken off.
Thought the team overall was pretty sloppy. Needed that 2nd goal and couldn't get it. And all it took was one error and they paid the price.

it's not a good sign hearing this after a limp 1-1 against Twente

Feck i was upbeat going into this game, but....wow

It's amazing that a player can come out after the game now and say "yeah, we just couldn't really be arsed I suppose" and it's considered normal. Sir Alex would have had them on the next plane out of the country and told them not to come back. Professional standards at the club are in the toilet.

Not good. We never really got going in the game. Certainly better in the first half than the second, but even then we never look like being bale to break them down and there was an element of luck in the ball falling to Eriksen.

Second half was complete nothingness from us in an attacking sense. The goal conceded was just a calamity of errors. Truly shocking.

Deflating we couldn't even start our European campaign right.

Everything we do in the opposition third seems so laboured with us. We can progress the ball smoothly out of defense and you can see the players know what they're doing, but when we get to the opposition third, seems like there is no coherent plan.

It's amazing that a player can come out after the game now and say "yeah, we just couldn't really be arsed I suppose" and it's considered normal. Sir Alex would have had them on the next plane out of the country and told them not to come back. Professional standards at the club are in the toilet.
Yeah, wild thing to say.

We’ve looked like this for years, everything is so casual for everyone on the pitch, Garnacho looks like the only player desperate to make something happen really,
you can lose football matches, but you can’t look half arsed against everyone you play.. I don’t think the manager is even the biggest problem, there’s something inherently wrong with the club and if we’re all really honest, it was noticeable in Fergies last years too, we just had better players and that made up for it.. remember the “slow motion zombie passing” thread? Fergie was in charge back then.. it’s madness

Same issues that have plagued us this season. Creating opportunities and failing to finish. Disappointing draw and ten Hag’s horrid run in Europe continues- 1 win in 9 matches.

Very poor result. With two tough away games coming up next in the EL, we needed to win this very winnable home match to get off to a good start. Now huge pressure on those away matches. Going to be difficult to finish in the top 8 unless we now pull off surprise wins in at least one of those two tough away games.

Attack is so poor. Build up still too slow. The bloke for 20 who run past 5/6 players way too easy for the goal and surely TH should drop Bruno now, never mind not rotating him. If we lose to Spurs and Villa, it wouldn’t surprise me if TH goes. Be officially mutual, but would be a sacking

Very poor result. With two tough away games coming up next in the EL, we needed to win this very winnable home match to get off to a good start. Now huge pressure on those away matches. Going to be difficult to finish in the top 8 unless we now pull off surprise wins in at least one of those two tough away games.
it's also very sad to see other teams being able to rest their players this mid week, we went full strength and committed serious resources tonight only to get just one point. bad.

We just can't seem to kill teams off. Personally I would've started with Rasmus and give him an hour to cause havoc.
Zirkzee just doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid.

Despite failing to get over the line in a few games this season, I do think there’s signs of improvement. More solid in defence, better in possession, coordinated press, conceding fewer shots, better depth in the squad, and threatening on both wings.

Feels like we’re closer to going in the right direction, but still some way from the destination. What I think we’re missing is the unity, desire and killer instinct the top sides have.

How we get it I don’t know, but I miss the old days of players and staff treating everything as us against the world. These days we’re just far too soft. At no point do you feel there’s going to be a rallying cry and a heroic effort to get us three points. It’s all a bit timid.

Clueless going forward against a low block relying on moments to break them down so same old. The performances have generally been better so far this season, but that was more of the shit we've been watching for a long time now.

Sums up things how they've been tonight. Same old players making the same old mistakes. Onana out of position for goal conceded, DM anonymous, this time Ugarte rather than Amrabat. Fernandes useless giving the ball away as usual too much. Mount average.

Despite failing to get over the line in a few games this season, I do think there’s signs of improvement. More solid in defence, better in possession, coordinated press, conceding fewer shots, better depth in the squad, and threatening on both wings.

Feels like we’re closer to going in the right direction, but still some way from the destination. What I think we’re missing is the unity, desire and killer instinct the top sides have.

How we get it I don’t know, but I miss the old days of players and staff treating everything as us against the world. These days we’re just far too soft. At no point do you feel there’s going to be a rallying cry and a heroic effort to get us three points. It’s all a bit timid.
Any other manager would be getting a tune out of this squad immediately, ETH has had 3 seasons and still cannot beat poor opponents let alone get us playing for CL spots

I just don't get it.... Pretty much everyone fit and we have a fantastic bench but we still got it so wrong. The speed of the build up was pathetic and we didn't even try to play through their block. In a game like that you have to pass it through the lines with zip and trust the guy on the end of it can make a good touch.

Commentators raved about Rashford but he did absolutely nothing bar 1 nutmeg which looks great on tiktok. People slating Zirkzee but he had one shot and he only got that by doing some lovely skill to get a shot off. Creativity is absolutely zero and we never ever got a clear cut shot at goal.

So disappointed with the game tonight, as others have said another false dawn.

We aren’t good enough.
That was a fecking gimme of a home game and we fecked it up.
Bruno needs a spell on the bench.
Little movement and anticipation up front. Goal was the result of a defensive feck up.
Nothing to like about that at all.
If we lose against spurs the knives will be out and rightly so

Player Ratings

Provisional results
5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Twente win
  • Draw