EL D Europa League

Manchester United 1:1 FC Twente

Post-match discussion

Wed, 25 September 2024

Is there a single Twente player who would walk into our starting XI?

Every single one of them. And I'm not just being hyperbolic, I genuinely believe that.

Oh my mistake, I thought you said 'walk through".

Couldn't watch the game as I was attending a wine tasting. I didn't imbibe enough to prepare for the scoreline. Quite disappointing.

As another poster said you can almost see what we’re trying to do in build up - build in a 3 with an inverted fullback creating an overload in midfield with the wingers staying wide. The problem is when we get near the opposition box. No movement what so ever.

A full reversion to the horrendous performance level of last season.

Following this team at this point is almost like dragging my balls through glass.

Sounds excruciating... which is exactly what it has become.
Come on guys. Surely you can do better than that.... but maybe not.

Easy wins against L1 opposition and relegation fodder, and a lot of our fans unironically thought we had turned a corner. Nope, another false dawn. Many such cases!

I never like making 3 subs at once…it kills anything good the team was doing while the oncoming 3 get up to speed.

Just tweak the team with 1 sub and see how it goes.

EtH has been getting his substitutions wrong of late.

We didn't have the movement we had against Palace in the first half, and in the second half we lacked any sort of tempo. Could be down to players not being fresh enough, the opposition working harder (they definitely worked hard out of possession), and it can also be personnel.

With Maguire the game slows down so much. I keep counting how many touches he takes (and very rarely are they three or less) and it seems to have seeped into Martinez' game too. Both full backs tonight were capable of carrying the ball, but the final delivery was often lacking.

We clearly have issues creating proper chances when there's low tempo to games.

Disappointing result. We were decent in 1st half is how I saw it, if second half was like that it would be good enough and a win. But 2nd half was really poor and credit to Twente who were really good and much better team in that period. They deserved this point and with more concentration could've even taken all 3 on another day.

I know last 3 games were against Southampton, Barnsley and Palace, but I liked those 3 performances. This one was different and it doesn't fill me with confidence before Spurs game.

Next 2 games in Europa are Porto and Fenerbahce away from home. Won't be easy to get points there so this draw looks even worse.

I never like making 3 subs at once…it kills anything good the team was doing while the oncoming 3 get up to speed.

Just tweak the team with 1 sub and see how it goes.

EtH has been getting his substitutions wrong of late.
He made one sub 1st

Horrible. And I think it would have been worse if 20 hadn't settled for a draw after they equalised and gone to 5-4-1 because we were well on the way to a reprise of last year's European routine in which we lose all shape for the last phase of the match and get ripped in defence. Why? We seem to be incapable of the discipline needed (not to mention the other habitual deficiencies).

That Lammer goal might be one of the worst collective shower of shit goals I’ve seen us concede. Ugarte hard done by in the end as well as he makes a good challenge.

The players were not up for it in the second half and that’s where things start to turn sour. 70 odd thousand people made the effort to show up and try to support them, but this 1st half 1 goal FC rubbish isn’t enough.

Cringe celebrations from their players / fans.

Hope they get relegated.
Why ?

A club the size of Hartlepool comes to Old Trafford and gets a deserved draw in a European cup game. They deserve to celebrate.

Well that was something and people drool for top 4 CL spot just to hold everyones pocket.

Didn't see all of it as was out last night, however it felt like there wasn't the same fluidity as the first half of Palace game. Would I be right in thinking that?

Whew. Didn't wake up at 3am for this game. 7 minutes of highlights showed very few chances created by United. Ah well, fair result it seems. I also thought it was unprofessional of EtH to almost convey reluctance at beating Twente. That nonsense became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I hope the ETH fanatics take a close look at the philosopher's European performances. Calling it abysmal is too nice, too diplomatic.

Next European game is Porto before we meet Mourinho again. In the league we play Spurs and Villa.

Is anyone confident after what we did last night? Is anyone still buying in the philosopher's delusions?

I refuse to believe that a squad with such quality players will be as embarrassing under a different manager.

It is early in the season but it is looking rather grim already. Please end it now, all of this is unacceptable.

Some of our players have been in the team for over 3 seasons now, and yet, every game is like a new season. Team work is a joke, so why do we need all these multi-million coaches? Just pick 11 names and play, like school team, let them figure out how to score.

Typical one step forward, one step backward performance.

Anyone surprised by how this season’s going clearly haven’t been paying attention.

Their goalkeeper didn't have much to do but made some world class saves.

The First XI once again was technically good and created some good chances but failed to convert. Our subs have yet again made our attack dysfunctional. IMHO we should be looking to add better players of our first-team's playstyle over the next few years. I'd splash the cash if a young, fitter and faster Eriksen and a complete forward like young Cavani become available.

Time is ticking for ETH.

Their goalkeeper didn't have much to do but made some world class saves.

The First XI once again was technically good and created some good chances but failed to convert. Our subs have yet again made our attack dysfunctional. IMHO we should be looking to add better players of our first-team's playstyle over the next few years. I'd splash the cash if a young, fitter and faster Eriksen and a complete forward like young Cavani become available.

Time is ticking for ETH.

True. But he didn’t make those saves from Manchester United players. Which says it all really.

Is there a single Twente player who would walk into our starting XI?
Their goalkeeper couldn't be much worse. I'd give him a run in the team ahead of Onana. That positioning , leaving his near post gaping... was pathetic. His positioning generally is really poor, and despite his double-save heroics last game, he's already reverted to being a center half forced to play in goal. He is not a natural goalkeeper -- at all. He shows neither the reflexes nor the positioning of a top keeper. He's decent with the ball at his feet, but he is a very raw shot-stopper, which should be his first strength.

If Ten Hag goes at the November international break, we need to book two extra seats on the outbound plane, one for Onana and one for Antony.

Last edited:
It wasn't a bad performance in the scheme of our performances over the past 2 seasons. In some ways it was one of the better ones

Twente is our level. It was an evenly matched game between 2 mid-level teams. Could've gone either way - draw probably a fair result

Ive backed ETH during his tenure but I no longer believe he can do any better than this. Even when we play well it's just not effective enough and it's permanently fragile, there's clearly an issue with the system that either he can't see or he's not interested in fixing

Sigh, on to the next one I guess

As another poster said you can almost see what we’re trying to do in build up - build in a 3 with an inverted fullback creating an overload in midfield with the wingers staying wide. The problem is when we get near the opposition box. No movement what so ever.
Bang on. Movement is non existent. They all line up across the pitch waiting for the ball and then give it back to whomever they got it from because there's nowhere to go. Mount seems to move more than most. But this issue must be on the manager, on training routines.......sometimes I think we would be more successful if we set up to play on the counter, even at home, and even against "lesser" clubs.

EtH needs to go.

But so do Onana, Dalot, Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro, Mount, Amad Diallo, Antony and about five
others.

I expect none of these things to materialise because there is nobody capable of replacing them.

We really are up ship creek without a paddle

I refuse to believe that a squad with such quality players will be as embarrassing under a different manager.

It is early in the season but it is looking rather grim already. Please end it now, all of this is unacceptable.

If they fail under EtH, they'll fail under many a manager.

EtH is a few above Solskjaer but many under the likes of Pep, Klopp and Don Carlo.

Clipping him for another 'up and comer', themselves drenched in failure (Southgate, de Zerbi, Potter) is a knee-jerk reaction and allows Ineos to hire 'their people' on mate's rates.

Glazers 2.0.

I appreciate you're fed up, so am I, but please do not encourage the likes of Ineos to do something really stupid.

When we play shit we really play shit. That was a tough watch. So many mistakes for the Twente goal. Maguire is surely done when Yoro is fit

It wasn't a bad performance in the scheme of our performances over the past 2 seasons. In some ways it was one of the better ones

Twente is our level. It was an evenly matched game between 2 mid-level teams. Could've gone either way - draw probably a fair result

Ive backed ETH during his tenure but I no longer believe he can do any better than this. Even when we play well it's just not effective enough and it's permanently fragile, there's clearly an issue with the system that either he can't see or he's not interested in fixing

Sigh, on to the next one I guess
That cannot be right or rather, acceptable! Our team cost probably 50 times more and is massively better paid. We should expect MUCH more and cannot possibly accept such performances much longer. I sincerely hope INEOS do not.

EtH needs to go.

But so do Onana, Dalot, Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro, Mount, Amad Diallo, Antony and about five
others.

I expect none of these things to materialise because there is nobody capable of replacing them.

We really are up ship creek without a paddle

If they fail under EtH, they'll fail under many a manager.

EtH is a few above Solskjaer but many under the likes of Pep, Klopp and Don Carlo.

Clipping him for another 'up and comer', themselves drenched in failure (Southgate, de Zerbi, Potter) is a knee-jerk reaction and allows Ineos to hire 'their people' on mate's rates.

Glazers 2.0.

I appreciate you're fed up, so am I, but please do not encourage the likes of Ineos to do something really stupid.
Dalot has been one of better players, I don't think we've seen enough of Mount to make a firm decision on him.
Be interesting to knwo who the other five are in your list, because that totals 13 players.

You are also wrong about another manager, a great manager can get the best out of average players, Ferguson did that with the likes of O'Shea and Butt.
It comes down to team selection, style and the attitude of the players, I don't see any leadership on or off the pitch.

Screaming “Defend defend defend” to our most proactive and dangerous forward - when we’re 1 up at home against FC fecking Twente.

That’s not the attitude I want from a manager of Manchester United. Just feck off Ten Hag, disappointingly you’ve turned out to be beyond shit.

Not sure I agree with this, though you may well be right. I do however think that it's quite possible that ETH cannot get a tune out of many of the players because his English is (still) shite and he comes across as ever so slightly retarded. He doesn't seem to be the type who can motivate.
I don't see him as a motivator either, as fo his English, I too have a difficulty in understanding him, or at least comprehending what he is trying to get across, I'm sure the media walk out of his conferences baffled sometimes, he sees a totally different game, and a certain section of fans get sucked in with "It was a good performance"

Player Ratings

Provisional results
5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Twente win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 FC Twente