EL D Europa League

Manchester United 1:1 FC Twente

Post-match discussion

Wed, 25 September 2024

One step forwards, 10 steps back.
Shambolic for the most part tonight, Maguire sitting so deep he's never in camera shot,Bruno chucked out wide because he doesn't have the bollocks to sub him.bloody shambles .

Our two best chances to score came from their players shooting at their own goal. We will be lucky to reach 40 goals this PL season.

This team never dominates. Once we took the lead, instead of going for the jugular we get sloppy, start giving the ball away. We look so vulnerable on the break the opposition become confident.

Bruno an absolute black hole of a player at the minute. To crowbar him on the right when he was gassed was so weak. Needs dropped. He’s not alone, of course.

Good performance at home versus a tough to play opponent. It’s a decent draw, and sets us up to progress in Europa. Would’ve been happier with 3 points, but we’ll take it!

Good performance at home versus a tough to play opponent. It’s a decent draw, and sets us up to progress in Europa. Would’ve been happier with 3 points, but we’ll take it!
That was a good point for United. I had to google Twente though. Ten Hag should consider signing one of their defenders.

Think we’re lucky they decided to make the subs and take the point we were on the ropes

Happy with a draw to be fair. It's the first game in the Europa League. Good chance to progress. Minutes under the belt for Rasmus, Ugarte, Zirkzee. No injuries to our players.

You can't win them all.

This, more than any performance we've had this season, was similar to last season. Ten Hag actually reverted to a 4141 defensive shape. He pushed Eriksen all the way up in that second half.

I will be really annoyed if we've reverted back to last season's pressing shape because Ten Hag believes Ugarte can cover the space. The 442 pressing shape was the only reason for any enthusiasm this season, if he's reverted to type, we may as well sack him before the Spurs game.....my patience is literally at the end. As fans, we can't be expected to accept trials and tear downs from a manager. It's one game, but its a game that may mean a lot moving forward.

Attacking-wise, there was no change. Our attackers are starved by the system. Inverted wing backs who don't overlap, in a system where wide men are expected to take people on.

a. we don't move the ball fast enough in the build up to create 1v1 opportunities.
b. Our full backs do not support our wingers due to inverting, leaving them isolated.

Our system doesn't offer penetration. It's not the players, our tactics just suck
The inverted full back thing is annoying me. It just clogs up the middle and doesn't really get us anywhere.
Man Utd has always had flying wingers and overlapping full backs.
I get that the game changes but mix it up.

What it does also highlight is how poor our wingers are.
They are all average at best, Garnacho has the most potential but that's it.

Feels like we’ve seen that performance/result in the Europa League at OT so many times.

Combination of players just not applying themselves in the same way as in the PL, apathy amongst supporters and a galvanised visiting team roared on by their travelling fans. And United get caught out.

I don't understand why people are so keen on Ruud, by all accounts he's the one coaching our attacking routines and therefore shares responsibility for us looking so toothless.

Nagelsmann however would be dreamy.
The only reason I'm saying Ruud is if the recruitment team need time to get the permanent coach.

Yet another frustrating and annoying night of European football. Could and should have been a routine 1-0 win but that brain fart by Eriksen allowed Twente get a draw that they celebrated like they won.

Overall the United performance was mediocre and will be beaten by Porto in the next round with a simliar performance.

We’ll probably lose to Porto but they lost themselves to Bodo tonight. Battle of the screw ups.

Every fecking game is a coin toss. Cannot put a dominate performance in to save our lives.

So true. Very well put. That's precisely how it feels. Just no clue what you are in for with this United team and manager. One game up, the next game down. Then throw in a few bad ones, and then another good one.

Everyone at Twente celebrating and taking pictures in front of their fans as if they were tourists inside Old Trafford. If that doesn’t embarrass the manager and players, nothing will.

They were in so many good counter positions but fecked it up due to being pretty shit themselves. If they were actually good at football we would have lost this

This team never dominates. Once we took the lead, instead of going for the jugular we get sloppy, start giving the ball away. We look so vulnerable on the break the opposition become confident.
Hargreaves literally heard EtH telling Garnacho to focus on defence when he was coming on. Says it all. You're only leading 1-0 and instead of going for the jugular, we're focusing on defence?

Interesting comment from Erikson, that the chat in our dressing room after the game is 20 wanted it more than us… how is that happening. Over paid and a don't care that much attitude?

Actually felt by and large we played quite well most of the game tonight, a few errors and Bruno poor. Twente played very well and the keeper game raised.

Two points thrown away and a poor result overall. We weren’t great, but we were in control until we made that one stupid mistake. We had plenty of the ball but looked toothless when we got into the final third and were punished.

Hope it’s not going to be another rough year in Europe. We’ve got a chance of winning this one if we get our act together.

We had almost no off ball movement, very little pass and move. Notice how many times one of our players is standing with the ball and no one is making any runs.

Our tempo was pedestrian and yet we managed to give the ball away numerous times. The passing was just off.

Bruno an absolute black hole of a player at the minute. To crowbar him on the right when he was gassed was so weak. Needs dropped. He’s not alone, of course.
Bruno on the right was a terrible decision. He was poor in the number 10 position, but when he moved to the right, he was atrocious.

And for whatever reason our players keep looking to him. They kept passing to him, expecting him to do something, even when it was obvious that there was nothing positive happening there.

Such an emotional team…a few seconds of adversity and they all hit the turbo button and pinball is activated.

Why can’t any of them concentrate for 90 minutes.

Among the things I hate about how we play these days, is that we pass the ball so lazily. Even when we're just passing between defenders, it's a half-hit pass. Then the person takes 3 or 4 touches before passing it back. It's like they've been instructed to let the opponents get back into position. Just hammer the ball to your teammates, try some 1 touch passing, go vertically occasionally, try an attacking triangle or third man running at least once per game, and maybe we wouldn't draw to FC Twente!

The coach is sending out our most naturally talented player - a mercurial 20 year old attacker in the form of his life, with the instructions "defend, defend, defend" when we're at home and on top against a side we should be looking to put a score on.

He subs off and drops players in form and continuously picks and keeps on players who are underperforming or sorely in need of a break.

This guy is the exact opposite of whatever a motivator is. I backed him for a long time and I was wrong - he doesn't understand his players and he doesn't understand this club.

We need a goal scorer and most of our squad is still utter shite. Cut the fat and give youth a chance please.
My god... are you blind? You think we haven't got a good enough squad to beat the 8th team of the Dutch league at home?? Why can't you just admit our bloody manager isn't good enough?

I was surprised to see Bruno start tonight, let alone play a full 90 minutes. Think it was clear he needed a bit of a rest from Palace away. Same old problems really, struggling to create anything against an organised team sitting back. I think the lack of in game management from Ten Hag is pretty concerning. We are very predictable, even when the substitutes come on. No variation in formation. Desperate for additions to our attacking department, lack of goals is going to see us around 8th again.

Player Ratings

Provisional results
5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Twente win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 FC Twente