EL D Europa League

Manchester United 1:1 FC Twente

Post-match discussion

Wed, 25 September 2024

Dalot has been one of better players, I don't think we've seen enough of Mount to make a firm decision on him.
Be interesting to knwo who the other five are in your list, because that totals 13 players.

You are also wrong about another manager, a great manager can get the best out of average players, Ferguson did that with the likes of O'Shea and Butt.
It comes down to team selection, style and the attitude of the players, I don't see any leadership on or off the pitch.

Who is this available 'great manager' capable of turning Dalot into Gold?

Butt and O'Shea played in a rotational basis and never nailed a first-team place. They were limited and used accordingly. Dalot is a first-team regular because we still haven't replaced Luke Shaw.

Dalot has improved because of ten Hag. So have quite a few others. What's happened now is they have reached their limit. As has ten Hag.

Hence a change in both is required.

Are Ineos on it? Their choice of new manager will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
That cannot be right or rather, acceptable! Our team cost probably 50 times more and is massively better paid. We should expect MUCH more and cannot possibly accept such performances much longer. I sincerely hope INEOS do not.

I never said it was right or acceptable, I've just come to terms with what I see as our reality now.

I think we're playing 'well' this season within the context of the overall level we've produced under ETH. We've got what we deserved in all games with the possible exception of Brighton where a draw would've been fairer.

This is our level unfortunately and there's nothing I can do about it. As you say it's down to the board to make a decision now if they're serious about improving our level

Hopefully spurs have something of an off day and we win on Sunday. That'd be nice

Eriksen should have came off about 10 mins before he gave that goal away. Again Zirkzee coming off was the wrong call. Erik needs to learn that if Bruno isn't having a good game, he only gets worse. Keeping him in the team is hurting us atm

Butt and O'Shea played in a rotational basis and never nailed a first-team place. They were limited and used accordingly. Dalot is a first-team regular because we still haven't replaced Luke Shaw.

Dalot has improved because of ten Hag. So have quite a few others. What's happened now is they have reached their limit. As has ten Hag.

Dalot was brilliant last night and our best player. Such a strange take.

It was a draw.
United are the biggest club in the competition and (should be) favourites to win it.
Twente are not even favourites to win anything in the Netherlands.

The expected outcome would be United's B-team steamrolling over them at home.
Instead they got a draw against the first choice team.
They deserve to celebrate that.

United are the biggest club in the competition and (should be) favourites to win it.

Was a bit over the top for a draw, was weird.

Was a bit over the top for a draw, was weird.
Actually I think it's good that you think this way as a United fan. Shows that you still got standards like a fan of a top club should have (and which I think too many United fans actually lack by now)

Nothing was more obvious than we were going to give them a goal - I said it to a mate less than five minutes before they scored, and if Owen Hargreaves is right and ETH told Garno "Defend, defend, defend", well then he just doesn't get United at all.

Another disappointing show from Rashford, Bruno did exactly nothing and Zirkzee proving again that he's not a goal-scorer.

Their goal was a total clown show - what the hell was Maguire doing diving in on the half way line? Poor from Eriksen and no PL keeper should be beaten at his near post like that.

Only good performances were Martinez (time for Maguire to be shown the door) and Maz.

But the biggest criticism is we've become boring to watch - and never learn that we are incapable of holding a 1-0 lead; we weren't even the greatest at it in our prime... so, there goes another competition

Dreadful result, every chance we lose the next two games at Porto and Fenerbahce as well which would make finishing in the top 8 a lot more difficult.

Twente certainly deserved the draw, in the end we were probably fortunate they seemed content with that.

Nothing was more obvious than we were going to give them a goal - I said it to a mate less than five minutes before they scored, and if Owen Hargreaves is right and ETH told Garno "Defend, defend, defend", well then he just doesn't get United at all.

Another disappointing show from Rashford, Bruno did exactly nothing and Zirkzee proving again that he's not a goal-scorer.

Their goal was a total clown show - what the hell was Maguire doing diving in on the half way line? Poor from Eriksen and no PL keeper should be beaten at his near post like that.

Only good performances were Martinez (time for Maguire to be shown the door) and Maz.

But the biggest criticism is we've become boring to watch - and never learn that we are incapable of holding a 1-0 lead; we weren't even the greatest at it in our prime... so, there goes another competition
Rashford disappearing show? really? he was really sharp and had a lot of good moments in the game and put a lot of effort in, he is clearly trying really hard to break his slump, and was probably our 2nd best player last night after Dalot

Rashford disappearing show? really? he was really sharp and had a lot of good moments in the game and put a lot of effort in, he is clearly trying really hard to break his slump, and was probably our 2nd best player last night after Dalot

Yep, I am the first to give Rashford shit when he isn't trying but last night he was good. Looked like he had his spark back. My fear is that if he doesn't get rewarded for it (game time) or the team does start to pick up more wins he will slip back into his usual funk.

Plus it was against the toughest opponent they will face. Well at least on paper that is.

They fell off a cliff again on 60 odd mins. Lost control of a easy game they created nothing 1 corner or so before there goal, from a comedy of errors , Maguire off his feet Eriksen turns into trouble, Onana does what he does .

I don't know when this lot will learn from shooting themselves in the foot, did it numerous times in Europe last season from goals up. EtH imo should have made changes at Half time put Hojlund on for 45 took Eriksen off who played 3 straight games.

Garnacho was tearing them a new one when he came on . Ugarte needs to get more game time he should be OK, Zirkzee was great , but he needed changing as well earlier . There were a few game managment errors . And maybe ETH is doing the rotation because of the injuries he had last season and doesn't want the same again.. but a stronger side out on 45 would have seen that game out ...

Putting words into my mouth, I never said another manager could turn Dalot into gold, so read it again.
I said another manager may be able to get the best out of players, like Ferguson did with O'Shea and Butt, despite them not being first team regulars, that is what management is all about.

ETH in his post match conference said, and I quote "they wanted it more than us" Eriksen post match said "they wanted it more than us"
That stinks of a lack of motivation from the manager and coaching staff, it's not the first time we've heard it.

What motivation is it when your manager is shouting at an attacker "Defend! defend! defend!" ?

Plus it was against the toughest opponent they will face. Well at least on paper that is.
I think a lot of the derogatory comments aimed at FC Twente are out of embarrassment, the way they just walked through our midfield and defence was a joy to watch and very reminiscent of how United used to play.

Putting words into my mouth, I never said another manager could turn Dalot into gold, so read it again.
I said another manager may be able to get the best out of players, like Ferguson did with O'Shea and Butt, despite them not being first team regulars, that is what management is all about.

ETH in his post match conference said, and I quote "they wanted it more than us" Eriksen post match said "they wanted it more than us"
That stinks of a lack of motivation from the manager and coaching staff, it's not the first time we've heard it.

What motivation is it when your manager is shouting at an attacker "Defend! defend! defend!" ?
Sounds like the dressing room discussion immediately after was they wanted it more than us

They fell off a cliff again on 60 odd mins. Lost control of a easy game they created nothing 1 corner or so before there goal, from a comedy of errors , Maguire off his feet Eriksen turns into trouble, Onana does what he does .

I don't know when this lot will learn from shooting themselves in the foot, did it numerous times in Europe last season from goals up. EtH imo should have made changes at Half time put Hojlund on for 45 took Eriksen off who played 3 straight games.

Garnacho was tearing them a new one when he came on . Ugarte needs to get more game time he should be OK, Zirkzee was great , but he needed changing as well earlier . There were a few game managment errors . And maybe ETH is doing the rotation because of the injuries he had last season and doesn't want the same again.. but a stronger side out on 45 would have seen that game out ...
Totally disagree, you need players who can play for the full 90mins, not flat out, but just as capable and alert at 90mins as they are at 10mins, if stamina is an issue then there is something wrong in training. If there is something wrong with a player losing concentration, then there is something wrong mentally and with their attitude.

With final result aside, it was very annoying to watch the game when teams are in similar/same coloured kit.

Just seen that goal for the first time, fecking hell you don't see goals concended that bad even by the worst teams in our league.

Just seen that goal for the first time, fecking hell you don't see goals concended that bad even by the worst teams in our league.

You could make a 90 minute feature film of disasterclass goals conceded during Ten Hag’s tenure.

Totally agree. Created a lot. He is not one to call out today.

Ferguson's biggest strength was making players feel part of a culture, that they were special and they could contribute.

It was much easier back then for "squad" players, such as O'Shea and Butt to integrate into a starting 11 that was so ingrained with winners and competitors.

Us these days are not in the same bracket, we aren't a team full of winners and ingrained with the "never give up" attitude.

For a Manchester United manager to utter the words "they wanted it more than us" is disgraceful. That should never ever happen, ever. ETH can do a lot better, his standards need to be higher. But i'll keep on saying it - each and every player is accountable for how they prepare and how they perform in games. I don't think many of our squad are capable of upholding the standards required. Our Captain is the biggest hypocrite in our squad - constantly moaning and complaining. He doesn't lead by example, he crumbles faster than any of them.

I disagree with your last comment - if defending from an attacker is what is needed, then ETH can scream that all day. Everyone in the team is responsible for defending and working hard. Workrate and desire to compete is everything in this game.

I'm on holiday haven't seen the game but every critic and newspaper article has Rashford 8 out of ten. Yet everyone in RedCafe says he was rubbish. Dunno what to believe. There seem to be an anti-Rashford element on here who can't wait to diss him

Twenty's goal summoned everything up for me, there are times when we cannot find our a**e with our own hands.

"Keystone cops" have nothing on our lot at times.

I fear nothings change, the news is filled with how we are going to build a world class stadium (best in the world some say), rejuvenate the whole of Old Trafford, bring in jobs, investment, etc.etc.

However, the football will continue to piddle along somewhere mid table.... if we are lucky.

"Oh woe is...."; "Jam tomorrow..."... never mind if City win this first case (not the 115 case one) then the EPL is going to implode. Its rules will have failed the stress test!

Last edited:
Is it just me or is Zirkzee a bit of a headless chicken.
Bruno is too emotional, like he's spamming his shoot button on FC 2025 sometimes.
Hojlund is not very good.
Mazzy is amazing though, great RB.
Erisksen had a split second to make a decision on the ball and made the wrong one, probably because he isn't defensive minded. It happens but wow.
Rest of team was ok.
As is often the case, some of their players really outshined ours.

but achieved nothing.. couple of good runs then back to trying to run through players, but you are right way way from the worst

Player Ratings

Provisional results
5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Twente win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 FC Twente